2019 SOC 2

SOSoftball
Freshman Team

Re: SOCII

Post by SOSoftball »

orangeandblack98 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:20 pm
asportsfan wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:05 pm
orangeandblack98 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:32 am

i dont buy this. how many of your oh so talented players are playing on a traveing team? burg has some kids on high level top notch travel teams do you have any? no i dont think so. not that level. yeah you need good coaching to direct the players but you have to have the real talent and dedication first
I guess the Lasers, Outlaws, Doom Gold and Team Ohio don't count? Good to know. Isn't that where a couple of the Burg girls play?
you are telling me oakhill has kids on all of those teams? how competitive is their schedule not all of those teams play a top notch scheule. t

^^^^^^^^^Clueless

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

How many kids does Burg really have playing big time travel ball? I agree they will win the SOC atleast the next 6 years. That's because for those years they will have the best coach, best pitcher & probably the best player in the league. But I don't believe they have any more kids playing "high" level travel than some other schools do.

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

I agree softballdad, I enjoy reading the opinions on these threads, the facts are the facts, best coach, best player/s burg will lead the SOC for years.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

maybe orange and black is right, maybe Burg should move to another conference to play better competition because there is obviously no talent elsewhere in the SOC

Softballdad
Riding the Bench

Post by Softballdad »

Well Orange & black is wrong on there being no talent. Just because I said Burg would win the league doesn't mean I don't think there is talent. A bunch of kids in this league can/will play college softball but at the same time saying there are talented players is much different than saying there are talented teams that will compete game in & game out. When you have 3-4 good players you will win games against good teams maybe but over the course of the season & tournament those teams don't end up with a great record.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Softballdad wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:45 pm Well Orange & black is wrong on there being no talent. Just because I said Burg would win the league doesn't mean I don't think there is talent. A bunch of kids in this league can/will play college softball but at the same time saying there are talented players is much different than saying there are talented teams that will compete game in & game out. When you have 3-4 good players you will win games against good teams maybe but over the course of the season & tournament those teams don't end up with a great record.
You hit the nail on the head. Most teams in area have anywhere from 2-5 very good players. Burg has an advantage because every position on the field is manned by a very good softball player. Every player in lineup and some off the bench can hurt you. Sometimes the best ballgame the burg will have on a given week is when they scrimmage each other in practice. The numbers they have is a big advantage. Add a great coaching staff, great community support, and the tradition of winning to the mix It all makes for a very solid program top to bottom

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Experience is very under rated in my humble opinion . Those that have that winning tradition and are used to playing in big games under pressure just fare better . Ultimately those with the best player in the circle trump everything else , and Burg has Claxon and Spence , and another Howard waiting in the wings . That alone equals big success that other schools just cant match .

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

Can someone tell me what travel teams some of the top players play for? ill watch for them when umping this fall and summer.

Areukidinme
Waterboy

Post by Areukidinme »

I think it would depend on where you are umpiring, the top travel teams don't play many games in Ohio. Outlaws, Hawks, Bandits, the top lasers teams. Some kids are playing for teams in Indiana and never play around this area. You can go to Columbus most weekends in the summer and watch competitive softball but these elite travel ball teams are fascinating to watch and the players are very good. Many of the teams play throughout the south all summer.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

I am familiar with those teams you mentioned and where they play. I was asking who all plays for them?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Stingrays hosting a friendly this weekend at pick Central . Outlaws 18u will be there . Team Ohio . Akron Racers , Buckeye Heat , USSSA Pride Silver. Not sure if any locals play on those teams or not . Games on Sunday .

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

It’s hard to say who plays where. I know just a few but for the most part these girls change teams frequently, especially at the upper level, for numerous reasons. I’m pretty sure not as many from Wheelersburg play at that level like o&b is saying. I would kind of like to know that though. Burg has solid players from top to bottom, it’s not that they have 9 playing for the SoCal athletics or something. They are all good players. Like Dan mentioned, experience is a huge deal. I don’t see anyone knocking them off anytime in the near future. Oak Hill has talent and I feel are capable of beating Burg but the drive and motivation and work ethic as a team just isn’t up to Burg’s level. This past spring, Oak Hill was up 7-6 against Burg going into the 7th inning and a few mental errors and Oak hill ended up losing 8-7 I believe (I think Oak Hill was up 7-3 or 4 in the 6th). That’s where experience comes in and the ability to finish big games.
Last edited by Browns30 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Im not really sure. Can Freshman through Senior play on these traveling teams?

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:01 pm Im not really sure. Can Freshman through Senior play on these traveling teams?
Yes you can play for a travel team at almost any age

BobcatBall
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatBall »

Travel teams can be set up differently. Most go 16u, 18u but you do see several tournaments that host what they call "Highschool" bracket and that's usually 16-18u.

orangeandblack98
Riding the Bench

Post by orangeandblack98 »

Noodle319 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:41 pm Time for my expert opinion, top to bottom the SOC2 is the best conference in southern Ohio. Top level players on all teams and they just keep coming up. Would be nice to ditch the district all-star game and have an all SOC game.

1. Wheelersburg – Until someone beats them its Burgs yard.
2. Oak Hill – Returns everyone and have the two best hitters in the league in Brisker and Hughes. Will add three freshman that will help the cause. Pitching will be stronger and defense will be better.
3. Waverly – Returns a good core but will have some spots to fill.
4. Minford – Very talented, but the pitching will be the key.
5. Northwest – A couple of excellent players that hopefully get some help.
6. South Webster – Definitely trending up, really nice young pitcher.
7. Portsmouth West – Lost a lot, probably will be young.
8. Valley – Lost a lot of very good players.

i believe you are right, soc2 is the best conference in s ohio and still no one can touch burg.
not so sure i agree about oakhill having the two best hitters in the league. hughes has always been our bigeest threat since jr high but i would still say burg had the best hitting all around.
waverly disappinted me quiet a bit our pitchers were more consistent and productive than robinson whos a d1 commit i think
minford like said they need better pitching

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

orangeandblack98! It is never to early to talk about softball. The only problem I see is instead of the other people having a chance to give there opinion, if its not what you want to hear, you then get mad and want to let them know that you're the only one that has the right answer. Mayby if you sat down and read some of your posts, you might see what I mean.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:24 am orangeandblack98! It is never to early to talk about softball. The only problem I see is instead of the other people having a chance to give there opinion, if its not what you want to hear, you then get mad and want to let them know that you're the only one that has the right answer. Mayby if you sat down and read some of your posts, you might see what I mean.
I read O and B post and read nothing to infer that he was mad , or only his opinion mattered . His post was fine , why are you ragging on him ?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

You may be right. I probably should not have used the word, "mad".

orangeandblack98
Riding the Bench

Post by orangeandblack98 »

VetteMan wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:24 am orangeandblack98! It is never to early to talk about softball. The only problem I see is instead of the other people having a chance to give there opinion, if its not what you want to hear, you then get mad and want to let them know that you're the only one that has the right answer. Mayby if you sat down and read some of your posts, you might see what I mean.
Do you even know anything about softball? I don’t get mad at anyone. I just give the facts. The burg is going to dominate for a long time. That a fact. So what I have some fun with it.

Return to “Softball”