Portsmouth West 35 Wellston 0

2Time
Freshman Team

Portsmouth West 35 Wellston 0

Post by 2Time »

Opinions? I am going to take West by a couple scores. Wellston is way too predictable on the offensive side of the ball, last week PV stacked the box with 10 guys and that still did not force Wellston to make adjustments and they paid for it by getting shut out at home.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Week 4 Wellston @ Portsmouth West

Post by VetteMan »

2Time wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:25 am Opinions? I am going to take West by a couple scores. Wellston is way too predictable on the offensive side of the ball, last week PV stacked the box with 10 guys and that still did not force Wellston to make adjustments and they paid for it by getting shut out at home.
If Wellston had trouble moving the ball against PVs defense,I cant see them being very successful trying to move the ball against Portsmouth Wests defense.

OVCFAN83
Waterboy

Post by OVCFAN83 »

Wellston able to throw the ball around any? CG had great success last week being able to mix it up, I caught the first half before the lightening delay and could not believe it was a 0-0 game at half. The half I did get to see CG dominated West, I don't know if West even had a first down with CG having over 200 yards of offense, CG just couldn't get on scoreboard because of themselves with bad snaps and penalties inside the redzone. If Wellston can throw a little I look for this to be a closer game, if not West will run away with it by a bunch.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

West, easy.

2Time
Freshman Team

Post by 2Time »

OVCFAN83 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:25 am Wellston able to throw the ball around any? CG had great success last week being able to mix it up, I caught the first half before the lightening delay and could not believe it was a 0-0 game at half. The half I did get to see CG dominated West, I don't know if West even had a first down with CG having over 200 yards of offense, CG just couldn't get on scoreboard because of themselves with bad snaps and penalties inside the redzone. If Wellston can throw a little I look for this to be a closer game, if not West will run away with it by a bunch.
Wellston will try to throw maybe 3-4 times a game in what is always a "known" passing down like 3rd and 5 or more. They have a first year Soph. QB so not sure if they don't seem confident in him or are waiting to let him show his stuff during league play? hopefully the latter especially with a 6'3" maybe 6'4" Wide receiver and a couple of other guys with great speed and hands, I think opening up a little bit would really help.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

CG was a solid experienced football team. Very good quarterback and running back. Couple nice receivers. The CG quarterback was also great at faking and carrying out his fakes. They did a great job keeping West off balance.

The strength of West's defense is stopping power rushing from under center. Once teams spread them out like CG did with a solid passing game it's much harder.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Hope wellston can pull it out but be a tough challenge

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
MountaineerMan2018
Waterboy

Post by MountaineerMan2018 »

I'll take West by a few scores in this one. Wellston seems to have a younger team this year. These are games West should come out and roll, but we will see Friday.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

The siders in this one

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Running clock , West big!

Walk by Faith not by sight.
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Could be tough on Wellston...could bang them up a couple weeks

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Wellston looked out of shape and soft last friday against Paint Valley . I think West will physically beat them up this week plus score alot of points.

Rocket Booster
Riding the Bench

Post by Rocket Booster »

Boilermaker you obviously have a grievance against the coach
which is your right. But I am disappointed that you would attack the kids. The Boilermaker I knew always took up for Wellston athletes. Some kids had cramps but they did not look soft. PV was fast and played well but the Rockets never gave up.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

be a very tough road test......be a season changer if they went down there and won.........

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Rocket Booster I have not attacked the kids ! I have simply stated in my post that the team , not any one individual are out of shape , This is fact for anyone who has watched them. They are getting beat in every phase of the game thats what i mean about soft. As for a grievance against the coach , its not personal barely know him , but he hasnt had them very prepared the two games I have watched. No adjustments and like I said not in good football condition.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Can’t see wellston hanging close. But hopefully it isn’t a trap game. I think west is just too physical. Hope for an injury free game from both teams.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

If Wellston scores more than one touchdown on Portsmouth Wests starters I'll be surprised.

D_Journey9
Freshman Team

Post by D_Journey9 »

West offense is way too predictable also. But their d is lights out so they will be able to make plenty of mistakes on offense and still win. West has wasted their offensive talent the last three years cause of lack of a good offensive coordinator

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Unless Wellston can find a passing game and throw in some misdirection stuff, they are in for a very, very long night.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

D_Journey9 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 pm West offense is way too predictable also. But their d is lights out so they will be able to make plenty of mistakes on offense and still win. West has wasted their offensive talent the last three years cause of lack of a good offensive coordinator
West is a defensive team. Ball control on offense is part of the defense. But this coach still throws the ball more than any since the one year in 1990 with Howell at quarterback.

The few years before Johnson got here West had the talent to do anything offensively but they had no understanding of the passing game.

One thing to they save alot of stuff until they need it later in the season. Like the spread they ran against Wheelersburg two years ago. With Raceland Minford Waverly coming up soon, he isn't gonna show all his cards

Return to “Football”