2018/19 Oak Hill Oaks

Post by Gooaks »

Please post:
  • Schedule
  • Roster with #/Name/Height/Year
  • Outlook

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Oakhill oaks 18/19 season

Post by trojandave »

The Oaks lost a bunch from last season, with only Mason Darby returning from the starting lineup. It doesn't matter how the cupboard looks for Coach Persin, he will find a way to make them competitive. I don't look for them to challenge for the SOC II title, but that doesn't mean they won't pull off some upsets along the way.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

From a relative who watched them a few times last year,I think Darby and mayby 1 or 2 other kids are the only kids that saw very much playing time on the varsity last year. You can never count them out as long as Norm is the coach. He said if Darby is the PG, they won't have much size as far as rebounding is concerned. I would say probably contend for 3rd or 4th in the league.

23tdb
Riding the Bench

Post by 23tdb »

I think they will be able to withstand the weaker SOC teams like Northwest, West,Valley, and possibly Waverly However, I do think they will be outsized and less athletic than teams like Burg, MInford, and South Webster. Darby with some help from hammond and hanning should make a decent shot for 4th possible 3rd in a very talented Soc conference.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

I think Persin may go back to some zone defense to slow the pace this season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:56 pm The Oaks lost a bunch from last season, with only Mason Darby returning from the starting lineup. It doesn't matter how the cupboard looks for Coach Persin, he will find a way to make them competitive. I don't look for them to challenge for the SOC II title, but that doesn't mean they won't pull off some upsets along the way.
... I agree trojandave - Mason Darby IS a player ... not a bad piece of the puzzle to begin building around for Coach Persin ... #30 is the lowest ranking of the Oaks in my memory ... losing Mitchel Hale/Brett Long/Nolan Carroll/Landon Carroll is a MAJOR blow to ANY program ... you don't replace that kind of talent or scoring ! two 1000 point scorers in Hale and Landon Carroll- incoming players have to build their own "reps", figure out their roles and become a TEAM - at the VARSITY level ... the youngin's from last year for Coach Persin will NEED experience at the big boy level - that means growing pains ... Coach Persin didn't become the "legendary" coach that he is without being able to TEACH the game at both ends of the floor - I expect the same "solid fundamentals on offense & defense" that I always see from a Norm coached TEAM ... Mason IS the go to guy ... the others will learn their roles as the season unfolds - I personally WANT to see the young Oaks team early in the season ! because I WILL go back and see the Oaks in January to see - and I WILL SEE IT - the improvement, the development of a TEAM going into the 2nd half of the campaign ... imo the Oaks have a leg up in the development game as Norm teaches the fundamentals from the freshmen year up , it's not new to the varsity ... his kids get it, learn it from day 1 because Norm expects it from Day 1 at ALL levels ... the kids may not be physically able to do everything - do to age/grade level - but that "ain't" going to keep them from blocking out the bigger players, body checking on D,the boys WILL BE in the right spots, doing the right technique ... the Oaks may be #30 BUT pfloyd will be watching them closely throughout the season and WILL get down to Oak Hill to see the Oaks in action !

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

That is probably the best way to describe Norm Persin. This guy never stops coaching his guys up. All that being said, I think it might be somewhat of a down year for the Oaks. Really hard to replace all that talent. Darby will be a stat stuffer though...hard to put an entire team on his back; let alone anyone else....Fairland will same problem in my opinion. I am cautiously optimistic for my Oaks this year pfloyd.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

23tdb wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:31 am I think they will be able to withstand the weaker SOC teams like Northwest, West,Valley, and possibly Waverly However, I do think they will be outsized and less athletic than teams like Burg, MInford, and South Webster. Darby with some help from hammond and hanning should make a decent shot for 4th possible 3rd in a very talented Soc conference.
So Waverly will be one of the weaker teams?

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I fully expect the Oaks to slow it down to a snail’s pace in a lot of games this year. Against the better teams like Wheelersburg and Waverly, they will walk the ball up the floor. Regardless of the pace, I still think OH will win 12-15 games. Their non-league is typically very weak.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

The Oaks have the following non league games.

Eastern (Beaver)
Meigs @ The University of Rio Grande
Rock Hill
Coal Grove
East Canton @ North Canton
Alexander
Wellston
River Valley

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

If you think Eastern ( Beaver ) is going to be weak, you no doubt did not see them last year. I think they mayby lost one starter from last year. They also have one of the better coaches in SEO.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

I know it maybe early...could someone post their lineup
Size..etc.

Thanks!!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

one Oak wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 pm The Oaks have the following non league games.

Eastern (Beaver)
Meigs @ The University of Rio Grande
Rock Hill . .
Coal Grove
East Canton @ North Canton
Alexander
Wellston
River Valley
As far as the Non League games are concerned, I think Eastern Beaver will be one of the better teams around SEO. Meigs has a couple kids, Weston Baer and Bartrum can play on about any team in the area. Coal Grove will not be as good as last year, but as long as the Music kid is playing, they will not be an easy out for anyone. If anyone thinks that Alexander with the 6/10 terry boy will be easy to beat, then put them on your schedule. When they usually go up in the Canton area, regardless of who they play, they usually run into some pretty good athletes.I have no idea what RV, Wellston, or Rock Hill will have.

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Agree Coal Grove will not be as good but still very dangerous. They return some shooters. looks like a solid non conference schedule.

Gooaks
Waterboy

Post by Gooaks »

OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:05 pm I know it maybe early...could someone post their lineup
Size..etc.

Thanks!!

Mason darby 6"5
Chase hammond 6"4
Caden harden 6"2
Drew hanning 6"1
Keaton potter 5"8
Luke Stewart 5 "11
Jordan morgan 5"11
Isaac Morgan 6"1

From what i hear darby goin back to rock hill days playin point most of the time, with him driving to the basket and hammond bein strong inside they will be tough, need a couple shooters to step up

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Gooaks wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:38 pm
OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:05 pm I know it maybe early...could someone post their lineup
Size..etc.

Thanks!!

Mason darby 6"5
Chase hammond 6"4
Caden harden 6"2
Drew hanning 6"1
Keaton potter 5"8
Luke Stewart 5 "11
Jordan morgan 5"11
Isaac Morgan 6"1

From what i hear darby goin back to rock hill days playin point most of the time, with him driving to the basket and hammond bein strong inside they will be tough, need a couple shooters to step up
Thanks Gooaks!!! Best of luck to Norm and the team!

mattash
Site Admin

Re: 2018/19 Oak Hill Oaks

Post by mattash »

https://seops.org/basketball/team/oak-hill/ correct?

Roster?
#/name/grade/height

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott

Return to “Boys Basketball”