Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2018-19

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2018-19

Post by ShoeHorn »

basketball12349 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:45 am Alexander is a much stronger team then what you have them at. With a 6'11" post player who can control all areas in the paint, offense and defensively that can destroy anyone who comes in his area and extremely strong shooters always in the corner waiting for a kick out and the fastest guard in the TVC. They are returning many players from last year along with four returning starters. Much more experience with playing in big games this year. Looking forward to the Alexander Athens game. WAY underrated!!
I agree that they are a little too low but disagree with the fastest guard in the TVC. The fastest and quickest guard in the TVC is Elijah Williams from Athens.

Coach SLegg
Waterboy

Post by Coach SLegg »

PFloyd,
Put this on your calendar...have you ever been to The Oven in Piketon?
Opening weekend of the season at Piketon on December 1st:
White Oak Girls vs Piketon Girls
Southeastern vs Portsmouth
Athens vs Waverly...I think from my records last time Waverly played at Piketon was 1968-69 or 1969-70
Chesapeake vs Piketon
Should be a great evening of basketball before a standing room only crowd at the crossroads (Routes 23 & 32) of southern Ohio.

Here Comes the Streaks!
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC has 5 games against the top 8 and 6 against the top ten in the preseason rankings! Yikes!! I believe this is the lowest starting spot (25th) for the Vikings in years. Lots of youth on this years team. Coach Combs always gets the most out of the kids, so although it will be a challenge, it should be fun to watch! Nice job as always pfloyd! Looking forward to seeing you in McArthur a few times this winter!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

CoachSLegg: Do you have the times of the games for that opening weekend at Piketon? Looking forward to coming to the Oven, and it looks like some interesting matchups.

Buckeye23: I have to agree/disagree with you on some points about the OVC teams you listed. Here is my take on the entire OVC:

Coal Grove: The loss of 6-4 Sam Angelo and 6-4 Jeb Jones are major losses for the Hornets, because this year's team will be lacking that physical presence inside that helped get them to the regionals. Music and Borders return, so they should be solid at guard. I don't think that will translate to 15 wins, though.

Chesapeake: The Panthers only lost 1 starter, and have one of the best sophomores in the OVC in Eli Archer, who scored 21 points at Portsmouth last season. Outside shooting is a major concern, though, but the Purple should be considerably better.

Ironton: They did lose Adkins, but Charlie Large, Ethan Wilson return as 4 year varsity players, and also sophomore Reid Carrico returns in the post to give the Fighting Tigers a tough, physical player in the paint. This same group only lost to Wheelersburg by 6 points in the sectional final last year.

South Point: Tayshawn Fox does return, hopefully healthy from that knee injury, and also 6-3 SO post Webb gives the Pointers an offensive threat down low. I have SP in the middle of the pack in the OVC.

Fairland: They did indeed have a really good 8th grade team, and they had a good JV squad. Their freshmen lost to the Portsmouth freshmen last year, and our freshmen struggled for the most part. With the varsity losing the top 6 players, reloading is not the buzzword in Proctorville.

Gallia Academy: The prohibitive favorite to win the OVC, and they should do it in convincing fashion, maybe undefeated in league play. The Blue Devils of course have Zach Loveday, but what will make them really good is the surrounding cast around them. Cory Call should be one of their top players, and PG McClelland will be one of the best at his position in the league.

Rock Hill: The Redmen have struggled to get out of the basement of the OVC, and I do know that their JV smashed Portsmouth's JV last season(PHS JV went 1-21), so with the OVC not being quite as strong as last season, RH may have a chance to post a few more wins, and maybe get out of the 8th spot in the standings.

Portsmouth: Honestly, my Trojans (4 starters lost) are a year away from being really good, but this season will be exciting because PHS will put its most athletic team on the court since the 2015 regional finalist. 4 of our starting 5 looks to be: 6-3 SR MyQuel McKinley, 6-0 SR Daniel Lattimore, 6-2 JR Matthew Fraulini, and 6-2 SO Miles Shipp. The 5th starter is wide open. 6-6 SR Andrew Meadows will help out greatly in the post with his defense. Also 5-7 FR Amare Johnson, 6-0 FR Dariyonne Bryant, 6-0 SO Michael Duncan, and 6-1 JR Richie Bowman will figure to get a lot of minutes. Johnson could end up the 5th starter. He is a high motor player who never stops, and is super quick. Coach Eugene Collins will field one of the youngest teams in PHS history, but one that will be ready to challenge for the OVC in 2019-2020, and make a tournament run to the regionals or state. (Yes, the state, that's the mindset at Portsmouth, and Coach Collins always mentions that in his preseason summary of the team.....he's been there twice, in 2011 and 2012)

Here's how I rate the OVC from top to bottom:

1.Gallia Academy
2. Ironton
3. Chesapeake
4. South Point
5. Fairland
6. Coal Grove
7. Portsmouth
8. Rock Hill

I could be totally wrong, but that's what I'm sticking with.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Music and Borders for Coal Grove should average 15-20+ per game not sure if they have any bigs to help them though.

Fox and Chaffins from SP will be solid.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

No where to go but up Rock Hill... get motivated.

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ahhhhhhh yessssssss !!!! it's great to see and I THINK I almost actually hear the "pounding" of keys on keyboards across Southern and Southeastern Ohio with opinions about who is where on the Pre-season rankings ... awesome stuff imo ... SEOPs is all about putting out as much information as WE can about ALL teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... the ONLY way that happens is when ALL of us post from knowledge that WE have - that's how WE ALL learn about the Teams Below the Line ... I love reading the posts as they ALL give me more info that I take with me when I get to put "eyes on" as many teams as I can during the season ... keep the info coming ! I've been doing this a long time - I CAN TAKE THE HITS ! I will agree to disagree ... I WILL ADMIT WHEN I AM WRONG ... the rankings are the best way I know to get the conversation rolling from PRESEASON through THE 3 Weeks of the Convo ... it doesn't get any better than this imo ...

... a few bits of info I took into consideration on some of the upper level teams ... I took into account Hoover for Waverly is out for the season ... I didn't know that Yates may not be playing hoops at Jackson BUT even without Nevan Y. Jackson is going to be GOOD ! they were GOOD last year - they will be BETTER this season ... VC IS ranked the lowest I have ever ranked them - simply because of ALL of the question marks - don't interpret that as VC is not going to be a solid team - Coach Combs and his staff don't play mediocre basketball down in McArthur - I just feel there is a lot of growing as a TEAM that needs done early in the season ... Logan returns THE best player in SEOhio in Bo Myers , add to that Caleb Bell/Coby Bell ... Wes Brooks, Landon Little, Layton Cassady ... 6 of the Logan top 7 players back from last years squad that finished tied with Fairland as my #1 in SEOhio ... Gallia will be good , probably better than good with potentially the most dominating player size wise Below the Line in Loveday - BUT when I compared the rest of the Blue Devils to what Logan brings to the table I give the edge to Logan ... as far as size goes Logan will be fine - I am not totally sure that Landis (gone due to graduation) was the leading rebounder for LHS ... Logan entertains Gallia Academy during the regular season with the possibility of the #1 ranking on the line ... gotta love when a plan comes together ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Coach SLegg wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:44 pm PFloyd,
Put this on your calendar...have you ever been to The Oven in Piketon?
Opening weekend of the season at Piketon on December 1st:
White Oak Girls vs Piketon Girls
Southeastern vs Portsmouth
Athens vs Waverly...I think from my records last time Waverly played at Piketon was 1968-69 or 1969-70
Chesapeake vs Piketon
Should be a great evening of basketball before a standing room only crowd at the crossroads (Routes 23 & 32) of southern Ohio.
... I have been to the Oven ! ... it's been a few seasons as it was back when NOW Head Coach Evan Legg was leading the Streaks at PG LOL ... some excellent games for the opening weekend ! Waverly vs Athens ?!!! opening game for both teams ... Wow ! Coach Davis' & the Peake' taking on your Red Streaks - nice !!! ... going up against the ZT Classic in that first weekend of hoops ! ... I haven't seen the lineup for the ZT Classic yet (heard from the Amanda CC folks that ACC is playing against Paint Valley at Zane Trace's get together ... I'm getting psyched ! LOL ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hearing a lot that Davis is not playing basketball this season. Will be a significant 6’5 loss for a school who rarely has size. Talented kid, hope he ends up playing....if not he’ll be a big ol dude on the football field.

Maybe a couple bench players not playing either

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

O and HBD by the way to the purple hippo dancing, elite 8 ranking, cancer beating and SEOPS main attraction.

Pfloyd

Michael Scott
basketball12349
Riding the Bench

Post by basketball12349 »

ShoeHorn wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:15 pm
basketball12349 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:45 am Alexander is a much stronger team then what you have them at. With a 6'11" post player who can control all areas in the paint, offense and defensively that can destroy anyone who comes in his area and extremely strong shooters always in the corner waiting for a kick out and the fastest guard in the TVC. They are returning many players from last year along with four returning starters. Much more experience with playing in big games this year. Looking forward to the Alexander Athens game. WAY underrated!!
I agree that they are a little too low but disagree with the fastest guard in the TVC. The fastest and quickest guard in the TVC is Elijah Williams from Athens.
If Elijah happens to get past Kearns then his shot is being packed off the glass by Terry.

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Dundas wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:10 pm VC has 5 games against the top 8 and 6 against the top ten in the preseason rankings! Yikes!! I believe this is the lowest starting spot (25th) for the Vikings in years. Lots of youth on this years team. Coach Combs always gets the most out of the kids, so although it will be a challenge, it should be fun to watch! Nice job as always pfloyd! Looking forward to seeing you in McArthur a few times this winter!
Where did you see Vc's schedule? looked on the website and couldn't find it.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Been clicking on the Basketball Topic for the past 10 days. Really a lot of hard work Pfloyd. I know you love to do it. You did a great job.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Reds Fan wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:55 pm
Dundas wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:10 pm VC has 5 games against the top 8 and 6 against the top ten in the preseason rankings! Yikes!! I believe this is the lowest starting spot (25th) for the Vikings in years. Lots of youth on this years team. Coach Combs always gets the most out of the kids, so although it will be a challenge, it should be fun to watch! Nice job as always pfloyd! Looking forward to seeing you in McArthur a few times this winter!
20 of the 22 games are posted here. http://arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/5419305

The Zane Trace tip-off classic has us slated gainst Huntington. The remaining 2 games I believe are Chillicothe and Maysville, but don’t quote me on that.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Piketon will take a step back this year without Perdue, but will still be a good team I just don't know if they are high as you have them rated. I do like Ironton that high in the mix, I look for them to take strides. I also like seeing Jackson up in the top 8 with Oak Hill not, good to see Jackson kids staying at Jackson.

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Dundas wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:43 am
Reds Fan wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:55 pm
20 of the 22 games are posted here. http://arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/5419305

The Zane Trace tip-off classic has us slated gainst Huntington. The remaining 2 games I believe are Chillicothe and Maysville, but don’t quote me on that.
Thanks, much appreciated.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mattash wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 pm O and HBD by the way to the purple hippo dancing, elite 8 ranking, cancer beating and SEOPS main attraction.

Pfloyd
... thanks mattash ! another year older and supposedly wiser ! - that remains to be seen LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Dec.1 Zane Trace Tip Off Classic (One Day Event) ...

11:45 ........... Nelsonville York vs New Hope Christian Academy
1:30 ............ ___________ vs ____________
3:15 ............ Paint Valley vs Amanda CC
5:00 ............ Huntington vs Vinton County
6:45 ............ Lancaster vs Washington CH
8:30 ............ Zane Trace vs ____________

According to ArbiterLive ... the other 3 teams scheduled to play are Hilliard Davidson, McClain, Westfall

I would GUESS it would be Westfall vs McClain with the night cap key matchup ZT vs Hilliard Davidson ????

Anyone have the final match-ups ???

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:49 pm Dec.1 Zane Trace Tip Off Classic (One Day Event) ...

According to ArbiterLive ... the other 3 teams scheduled to play are Hilliard Davidson, McClain, Westfall

I would GUESS it would be Westfall vs McClain with the night cap key matchup ZT vs Hilliard Davidson ????

"one day event"??? I thought it was Jackson vs Bloom Carroll and Logan Elm vs Bishop Ready on Friday??

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

football life wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 am
pfloyd wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:49 pm Dec.1 Zane Trace Tip Off Classic (One Day Event) ...

"one day event"??? I thought it was Jackson vs Bloom Carroll and Logan Elm vs Bishop Ready on Friday??
football life - it could very well be 2 days - has been 2 days forever (I believe it went 1 day 1 time only) ... I have not seen a 2 DAY schedule of games, when I have gone to Arbiterlive it only shows 1 day of games (hence my statement) ... IF YOU know that it is in fact 2 days - with those games listed - THAT IS AWESOME !!! I always start my hoops season at the ZT Tipoff Classic ! 2 days full of games MY KIND A EVENT ! "eyes on all the teams" I can all season - ZT Classic has me camped behind the score table , eating dogs and twizzlers all day long - letting the teams come to me LOL ... thanks for your input !!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”