OVC Predictions

Osu fan
Waterboy

OVC Predictions

Post by Osu fan »

Early analysis of the OVC and predictions for how it ends up:
1. Ironton (4-2; 3-0) most physical team in the league, best defense in the league, but need to develop a passing game and limit penalties to win the close games.
2. Gallia (5-1; 3-0) next most physical team with great athletes. Offense is explosive and tempo takes its toll on opponents. Ironton Beats them in a close game to win title
3. Coal Grove (4-2; 2-1) excellent skill players. Qb May be tops in the league. Defense needs some work in stopping the run game
4. Fairland (3-3; 1-2) great wr and Qb play. Lambiotte May be better than Harmon. Can score with anyone but defense is not physical and only a rumor at this point
5. Peake (3-3; 1-2) browning is as explosive as any kid in the league. Staff has done a good job adapting the offense to fit browning. Defense needs a lot of work. But still think they beat Portsmouth next week.
6. Portsmouth (3-3; 1-2) parker is the best player in Southern Ohio. He has to rush for 300 to give them a shot to win. No supporting cast around him and can’t throw the ball. Struggle being physical, defense is porous again, and havent been able to beat a good team with a winning record in years
7. Rock Hill (2-4; 1-2) physical run game gives them a chance to win against bad teams. Outmatched athletically most nights and very slow on defense. Will take time for Hammer and staff to get this program to the level of the former Ironton we know
8. South Point (0-6; 0-3). New coach has his work cut out for him. Look to have more numbers and shown some improvement but still years away from being competitive in the OVC

BurgGrad6
SE

Re: OVC Predictions

Post by BurgGrad6 »

I think it’s going to come down to who has the most depth between ironton and Gallia!

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

If Campbell can play the way he did last night as he comes back from preseason hamstring injury. And if mccellond can throw as well and as effectively as he did last night. I think the devils will be too much for ironton. Let’s see if we can repeat that effort against coal grove 1st

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

When do they play, and where do they play? If its late in the season, still plenty of football to be played. Lets hope both teams stay injury free before they play and for the rest of the season.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

I question Ironton D- Backs ?

oldguy1369
Waterboy

Post by oldguy1369 »

Osu fan wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:53 pm Early analysis of the OVC and predictions for how it ends up:
1. Ironton (4-2; 3-0) most physical team in the league, best defense in the league, but need to develop a passing game and limit penalties to win the close games.
2. Gallia (5-1; 3-0) next most physical team with great athletes. Offense is explosive and tempo takes its toll on opponents. Ironton Beats them in a close game to win title
3. Coal Grove (4-2; 2-1) excellent skill players. Qb May be tops in the league. Defense needs some work in stopping the run game
4. Fairland (3-3; 1-2) great wr and Qb play. Lambiotte May be better than Harmon. Can score with anyone but defense is not physical and only a rumor at this point
5. Peake (3-3; 1-2) browning is as explosive as any kid in the league. Staff has done a good job adapting the offense to fit browning. Defense needs a lot of work. But still think they beat Portsmouth next week.
6. Portsmouth (3-3; 1-2) parker is the best player in Southern Ohio. He has to rush for 300 to give them a shot to win. No supporting cast around him and can’t throw the ball. Struggle being physical, defense is porous again, and havent been able to beat a good team with a winning record in years
7. Rock Hill (2-4; 1-2) physical run game gives them a chance to win against bad teams. Outmatched athletically most nights and very slow on defense. Will take time for Hammer and staff to get this program to the level of the former Ironton we know
8. South Point (0-6; 0-3). New coach has his work cut out for him. Look to have more numbers and shown some improvement but still years away from being competitive in the OVC
Probably the best and most accurate post I've seen about the ovc to date. Right now Ironton, Gallia Academy, and Fairland control their own playoff destiny with Ironton and Gallia probably locked. Some good games coming up here at the close of the season.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

No one should overlook anyone.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:13 pm When do they play, and where do they play? If its late in the season, still plenty of football to be played. Lets hope both teams stay injury free before they play and for the rest of the season.
Week 9 - Gallia Academy @ Ironton

Ironton plays at Rock Hill and Home against Coal Grove first.

Gallia Academy plays at Coal Grove and Home against Rock Hill first.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

lots of football left. anything can happen. 4 weeks of fun.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GalliaGrad78 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:17 pm No one should overlook anyone.
EXACTLY, IT IS TOO EVEN STEVEN AT THIS POINT. ANYBODY CAN HAVE A BETTER GAME THAN EXPECTED AND PULL AN UPSET. AND ANYBODY AT THE TOP CAN HAVE AN OFF NIGHT.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

If the schedule has any bearing at all, I would have to possibly give the advantage to Ironton. I know there are still other games on each of there schedules, but if I was Ironton I would like the fact that both Coal Grove and Gallia Academy have to come and play at Tank Stadium. I also know that you can't look past any other team and that its one game at a time. Its going to be an exciting finish for the league championship, as well as the chance to hopefully play in the playoffs.

oldguy1369
Waterboy

Post by oldguy1369 »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:40 am If the schedule has any bearing at all, I would have to possibly give the advantage to Ironton. I know there are still other games on each of there schedules, but if I was Ironton I would like the fact that both Coal Grove and Gallia Academy have to come and play at Tank Stadium. I also know that you can't look past any other team and that its one game at a time. Its going to be an exciting finish for the league championship, as well as the chance to hopefully play in the playoffs.
Another good post. Should be an interesting run to the playoffs in the ovc

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Here's hoping I'm off work come Week 9 at the Tank. Should be the game of the year if both teams come in healthy. Lots of ifs before then though.

StolenTalents12
Freshman Team

Post by StolenTalents12 »

svac83 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:29 pm If Campbell can play the way he did last night as he comes back from preseason hamstring injury. And if mccellond can throw as well and as effectively as he did last night. I think the devils will be too much for ironton. Let’s see if we can repeat that effort against coal grove 1st

Every one has put up huge numbers against Fairlands defense though. That’s not a great game to be coming off of and expecting it to happen week after week. I’ve heard GA is very talented, I knew they were 90% or better going to beat fairland simply bc Fairland can not stop anybody.
There were a lot of people saying GA was going to hold Fairland to 7 points which isn’t really realistic with the QB they have. They have the talent to win the league but their going to have two more tough matchups the next several weeks to win it. If they put up the numbers they put up vs fairland in the rest of their games then they should no doubt win it.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

StolenTalents12 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 am
svac83 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:29 pm If Campbell can play the way he did last night as he comes back from preseason hamstring injury. And if mccellond can throw as well and as effectively as he did last night. I think the devils will be too much for ironton. Let’s see if we can repeat that effort against coal grove 1st

Every one has put up huge numbers against Fairlands defense though. That’s not a great game to be coming off of and expecting it to happen week after week. I’ve heard GA is very talented, I knew they were 90% or better going to beat fairland simply bc Fairland can not stop anybody.
There were a lot of people saying GA was going to hold Fairland to 7 points which isn’t really realistic with the QB they have. They have the talent to win the league but their going to have two more tough matchups the next several weeks to win it. If they put up the numbers they put up vs fairland in the rest of their games then they should no doubt win it.
I am not saying put up the numbers they did against fairland I am saying. If Campbell is healthy enough to carry the rock 20 times. As that was first game he had more then 15 carries and most of season under 10 attempts. And on passing game mccellond hasn’t been a very high percentage completion this year last week was best effort so far

StolenTalents12
Freshman Team

Post by StolenTalents12 »

I gotcha. I haven’t seen GA play and last week was the first Fairland game I’ve missed. Fairland usually defends the pass pretty well. If he had success on them passing then they should be able to pass on the rest of the league.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

GA will stomp a mud hole in on and all over Ironton and anyone else!

buckeyenation
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyenation »

Ironton is not good enough to hang with Gallia that offense can strike from anywhere at anytime. I believe the game of the year will be Ironton and Portsmouth now that he is letting Lattimore run some.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

buckeyenation wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:08 am Ironton is not good enough to hang with Gallia that offense can strike from anywhere at anytime. I believe the game of the year will be Ironton and Portsmouth now that he is letting Lattimore run some.

Ironton has played two teams with more explosive offenses than Gallia. Wheelersburg and Ashland both have superior talent while running the spread Offenseand Ironton did very well against both teams. Gallia is good but to say they will run over Ironton is a little far fetched. Ironton clearly has the better D. They played Fairland at Fairland and was down 42-10 when the starters went out and Fairland scored twice on jvs. They also handled Chesapeake last week and they game was never in doubt even with Chesapeake making the 2 special teams TDs. Ironton is yet to punt in an OVC game this season. They will not be overlooking anyone after last season. I believe coach has them taking it one game at a time and they know what’s at stake.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Wowzers, back to back bold predictions from allamericanironman and buckeyenation. Stomping a mud hole in, on and all over Ironton and Ironton not good enough to hang with Gallia. Looks like good bulletin board material to me.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.

Return to “Football”