Junior High Soccer Programs

Hylander
JV Team

Junior High Soccer Programs

Post by Hylander »

With Northwest, New Boston and Portsmouth adding junior high teams this year, and most Pike, Ross, and Lawrence County schools already having one, have their been any rumors of programs being started at other SOC schools? It seems to be trendy everywhere but in the SOC, with only 3 of the 9 total schools having one.

Coach93
Freshman Team

Re: Junior High Soccer Programs

Post by Coach93 »

I heard the other day that Minford, Valley may be starting up next fall. My understanding is that the county soccer league is moving away from the U15 divison and going with a U13 divison. I know that Northwest and Portsmouth are School affiliated and New Boston is a club team not school affiliated but they run the program like it is school affiliated . Wellston also as started a team it is consider a club team as well . What ever the case may be I think it is great for southern ohio soccer.

Mr. Official
Waterboy

Post by Mr. Official »

Most junior high programs at least have a "Club" team that participates and travels around.

Portsmouth and Northwest have school affiliated teams and I think South Webster is as well. Wheelersburg and Minford have teams that travel separate from their youth leagues.

While it will no doubt help the area, it will also pull resources from the other sports and further stretch and already thin group of officials.

It will be interesting so see how this fairs with most OVC schools already doing Middle school sports across the board.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Have not heard about the u13 move. Not sure that’s in the works. As far as school teams go I think it’s a mistake. Limits your games. I can get in 30 games if I want by being rec. We still play school teams plus the rec schedule plus tournament schedule. Plus my kids can start working out for basketball all at the same time. It’s a budget eater for schools. No money to be made on it. Plus programs like ours where we usually have 30 kids will be hurt. School won’t keep 30 kids on a jr high squad. Just my 2 cents. Not a good fit for Webster anyway.

If you want the right to complain you must be doing one of two things:
1. Doing your best to make yourself better
2. Doing something to make the world better

If you are not doing one of these things then shut your mouth!
Hylander
JV Team

Post by Hylander »

jeepmadness wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:07 pm Have not heard about the u13 move. Not sure that’s in the works. As far as school teams go I think it’s a mistake. Limits your games. I can get in 30 games if I want by being rec. We still play school teams plus the rec schedule plus tournament schedule. Plus my kids can start working out for basketball all at the same time. It’s a budget eater for schools. No money to be made on it. Plus programs like ours where we usually have 30 kids will be hurt. School won’t keep 30 kids on a jr high squad. Just my 2 cents. Not a good fit for Webster anyway.
As far as I can tell, schools aren’t limited to one team. I believe Waverly had an A and B team last year that they used to separate boys and girls.

I understand the budget concerns though, but at the same time I believe it will encourage more kids to play. If the money is there, I think the biggest issues for schools would be pulling numbers from volleyball and football.

The biggest benefit from a junior high program, probably, is having everything under the same system. SW is obviously fine as is, but many schools in the area struggle having a separate program from the school-affiliated team.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Mr. Official wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:28 pm Most junior high programs at least have a "Club" team that participates and travels around.

Portsmouth and Northwest have school affiliated teams and I think South Webster is as well. Wheelersburg and Minford have teams that travel separate from their youth leagues.

While it will no doubt help the area, it will also pull resources from the other sports and further stretch and already thin group of officials.

It will be interesting so see how this fairs with most OVC schools already doing Middle school sports across the board.

Really true on point #3 about the "thin group of officials." It would be nice if young men and women who played soccer in high school would get their officiating credentials to help the cause in southern Ohio. My oldest son is a ref and he is working 4 nights a week and most Saturdays.

Return to “Soccer”