Waverly 35 West 19

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Week 8 West (6-1) at Waverly (6-1)

Post by smurray »

RACELAND wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm I’ll take West in this one. Very physical team. Good on defense. If you can’t stop the running game you will never see the ball.
I may be missing something but don’t the teams rotate possessions after each score? This is not the first person that has said Waverly wont see the ball. West may have the ball longer because of time consuming drives but each team should have the same amount of possessions, +1 or -1.... its what the Tigers do with their possessions....

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 pm
RACELAND wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:43 pm I’ll take West in this one. Very physical team. Good on defense. If you can’t stop the running game you will never see the ball.
I may be missing something but don’t the teams rotate possessions after each score? This is not the first person that has said Waverly wont see the ball. West may have the ball longer because of time consuming drives but each team should have the same amount of possessions, +1 or -1.... its what the Tigers do with their possessions....
This is very true, problem is the overall time of possession. You can't say that it isn't a factor otherwise more teams would be winning despite the lack of time of possession. My thing is if Waverly can't stop the run and West goes down and scores using up 5-6 min. drive any lineman for waverly is then a bit more wore out. Because you get less possessions it puts more pressure on a team to answer, Waverly's predictability on offense makes this point even bigger because now you're low on possessions and west knows you run all of 5 plays I don't care what version it comes in. Waverly has superior athletes on the outside but how often does waverly use motion?? Does Waverly utilize the rollout and rub routes to get Wrs open?? When you pass 1 of 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad with an incompletion or interception. I get what you're saying 1-1 but we've seen this play out in the past where Waverly has had superior teams really but struggled against the run and West pulls out the win by 1 score simply because they shorten the game up. If I'm Waverly I'm playing man to man across the board within 3 yards on the WR because west isn't going to beat you passing. So I'm loading up the box and even bringing my safety down into it if they're going to run it then they'll need to block 8-9 guys, sorry but with Waverly's struggles need to mix it up do that a bit then play some regular defense when you get the feeling something is going outside or a throw. You have to take something away from every team you play and make them 1-dimensional. While it's easy saying 1-1 possession truth is there's less chances the running team is taking over the predictable throwing team. Honestly I've said it already if Waverly can get couple stops in this game I really believe they'll pull this one out just because I honestly don't think West is anywhere close to waverly in terms of overall team speed and they can't guard Wolfe.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:17 pm
This is very true, problem is the overall time of possession. You can't say that it isn't a factor otherwise more teams would be winning despite the lack of time of possession. My thing is if Waverly can't stop the run and West goes down and scores using up 5-6 min. drive any lineman for waverly is then a bit more wore out. Because you get less possessions it puts more pressure on a team to answer, Waverly's predictability on offense makes this point even bigger because now you're low on possessions and west knows you run all of 5 plays I don't care what version it comes in. Waverly has superior athletes on the outside but how often does waverly use motion?? Does Waverly utilize the rollout and rub routes to get Wrs open?? When you pass 1 of 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad with an incompletion or interception. I get what you're saying 1-1 but we've seen this play out in the past where Waverly has had superior teams really but struggled against the run and West pulls out the win by 1 score simply because they shorten the game up. If I'm Waverly I'm playing man to man across the board within 3 yards on the WR because west isn't going to beat you passing. So I'm loading up the box and even bringing my safety down into it if they're going to run it then they'll need to block 8-9 guys, sorry but with Waverly's struggles need to mix it up do that a bit then play some regular defense when you get the feeling something is going outside or a throw. You have to take something away from every team you play and make them 1-dimensional. While it's easy saying 1-1 possession truth is there's less chances the running team is taking over the predictable throwing team. Honestly I've said it already if Waverly can get couple stops in this game I really believe they'll pull this one out just because I honestly don't think West is anywhere close to waverly in terms of overall team speed and they can't guard Wolfe.
I totally agree with everything you just said, I was just commenting on people saying Waverly wont see the ball when in fact they will “see it” as many times as West. Yes, time of possession matters - that’s why Waverly has to make stops and make good on their possessions.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Waverly always has good athletes and probably have the speed advantage, but West isn't slow by any means. No burners, but team speed is decent.

West can pass the ball. Definitely not the strength, but they will hit a couple.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I will be curious to see how the Tigers respond after Friday. The burg game was ugly. They rely on a lot of younger guys so hopefully they don't hang their heads after that loss. Everything that could have went wrong for the Tigers against burg did. I honestly don't think they could have played any worse, they are much better than how they played last Friday IMO. But a good bit of that credit goes to burg, they are a really good team and showed up to play. I think if Shoemaker doesn't fumble it on the first play, the game goes a little differently. Still don't think the Tigers would have won, but it wouldn't have been such a beating.

But it's time to turn the page and look forward to Week 8. I think this game could go either way. If I am West I am pounding the ball all night long. Waverly has shown no real answer for the run game all year. They do make adjustments throughout the game tho, such as bringing Snodgrass in to help on D against Valley and they started playing 4 D-Lineman in the second half against burg. If West wants to win, that's how they will do it. If I'm Waverly, I would load that box up with 8 or 9 and dare them to throw it. The Tigers have very good DBs, and I would trust them one on one with whoever West puts out there. Idk if what I was looking at was accurate, but one of the box scores I saw for the West/Minford game was that West only had 1 yard passing? If so, that's something you don't see much anymore lol. But Waverly has the ability to score in bunches and in a hurry. They have a ton of speed in all positions and can beat you in many different ways. I see this one being a close, high scoring affair. On a side note, how is West's special teams? That could be a factor as well. Waverly has been very good in that aspect of the game all year. Shoemaker has the ability to take the distance every time he is given an opportunity to return a kick. Just something to keep an eye on.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Waverly 28
West 20

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mlittle wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:45 pm Waverly 28
West 20
Hope we can hold them to three scores.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:56 pm
mlittle wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:45 pm Waverly 28
West 20
Hope we can hold them to three scores.
Me too! West run game could present some issues for Waverly’s run defense but I think you guys will be up to the task coming off that blood bath last Friday

toast
All State

Post by toast »

As several others have said, last Friday night was pretty much a nightmare for Waverly. And much of the credit does go to Burg. That's a mighty fine team.

I'm hoping our kids come out with a bit of an attitude. I'm sure they're not happy with the way things went against the Pirates. I look for a strong showing against West. Waverly can win this game but it'll take one heck of an effort. This should be a good one.

bcltcr
Riding the Bench

Post by bcltcr »

Have not seen Waverly, but looking at scores, I know they are talented. West is small, but physical. Waverly can win if they get West into passing situations on offense, and doesn’t turn the ball over. They are capable of doing both things.

However, West has a lot of experience in the skill positions, and I think that makes the difference. 28-27 West.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bcltcr wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:58 pm Have not seen Waverly, but looking at scores, I know they are talented. West is small, but physical. Waverly can win if they get West into passing situations on offense, and doesn’t turn the ball over. They are capable of doing both things.

However, West has a lot of experience in the skill positions, and I think that makes the difference. 28-27 West.
Waverly wont miss a PAT. Is that 2 FG’s?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 pm I will be curious to see how the Tigers respond after Friday. The burg game was ugly. They rely on a lot of younger guys so hopefully they don't hang their heads after that loss. Everything that could have went wrong for the Tigers against burg did. I honestly don't think they could have played any worse, they are much better than how they played last Friday IMO. But a good bit of that credit goes to burg, they are a really good team and showed up to play. I think if Shoemaker doesn't fumble it on the first play, the game goes a little differently. Still don't think the Tigers would have won, but it wouldn't have been such a beating.

But it's time to turn the page and look forward to Week 8. I think this game could go either way. If I am West I am pounding the ball all night long. Waverly has shown no real answer for the run game all year. They do make adjustments throughout the game tho, such as bringing Snodgrass in to help on D against Valley and they started playing 4 D-Lineman in the second half against burg. If West wants to win, that's how they will do it. If I'm Waverly, I would load that box up with 8 or 9 and dare them to throw it. The Tigers have very good DBs, and I would trust them one on one with whoever West puts out there. Idk if what I was looking at was accurate, but one of the box scores I saw for the West/Minford game was that West only had 1 yard passing? If so, that's something you don't see much anymore lol. But Waverly has the ability to score in bunches and in a hurry. They have a ton of speed in all positions and can beat you in many different ways. I see this one being a close, high scoring affair. On a side note, how is West's special teams? That could be a factor as well. Waverly has been very good in that aspect of the game all year. Shoemaker has the ability to take the distance every time he is given an opportunity to return a kick. Just something to keep an eye on.
I think West only attempted 3 passes the entire Minford game. They didn’t need to pass. West will really shorten this game with long, time consuming drives that will take them to victory.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I'm not taking anything away from the Burg, if they played again, probably the same end result, just mayby not so onesided. I hope that if things don't go there way early on, that the kids don't start thinking, Here We Go Again. With having a lot of kids hurt and not being able to play, plus having to play a lot of younger kids, its not always that easy to just forget what happened last week. Waverly has some good skill kids, and if they can have some early success against West, then I think we could be in for one heck of a game. Hope that both teams have an injury free game.

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 pm I will be curious to see how the Tigers respond after Friday. The burg game was ugly. They rely on a lot of younger guys so hopefully they don't hang their heads after that loss. Everything that could have went wrong for the Tigers against burg did. I honestly don't think they could have played any worse, they are much better than how they played last Friday IMO. But a good bit of that credit goes to burg, they are a really good team and showed up to play. I think if Shoemaker doesn't fumble it on the first play, the game goes a little differently. Still don't think the Tigers would have won, but it wouldn't have been such a beating.

"If I was Waverly I'd put 8 or 9 in the box" That's prolly why your in the stands, sorry I'm not trying to be smart but I'd say Waverly's staff is
smarter than that. You would get screened to death.

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

smurray wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:27 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:17 pm

I totally agree with everything you just said, I was just commenting on people saying Waverly wont see the ball when in fact they will “see it” as many times as West. Yes, time of possession matters - that’s why Waverly has to make stops and make good on their possessions.
With that being said if Waverly gets a lead then West will have a hard time scoring quick especially if Waverly has a lead late in. The 4th quarter I don't see west being able to score quickly and Waverly has the ability to score fast they have a lot of weapons. So if the game is close I give the edge to Waverly.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

West Side Pride wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:32 pm

"If I was Waverly I'd put 8 or 9 in the box" That's prolly why your in the stands, sorry I'm not trying to be smart but I'd say Waverly's staff is
smarter than that. You would get screened to death.
LOL, why?? Screens work with passing teams that are getting pressured quickly. You're not putting 8 in the box to get pressure you're doing it to stop the run. Players go 1 yard deep and read, West doesn't pass enough for Waverly defenders to pin their ears back and go. Funny how you say the staff is smarter than that, so you expect them to play same defense against a team that runs 95%?? West doesn't have anyonevin the passing game that Waverly needs to worry about and can't cover 1-1. It starts and stops with the run, Waverly stops or slows down West run they'll win if they can't could be a long night for the tigers.

Inmyopinion
Waterboy

Post by Inmyopinion »

Just wondering where all these athletes were at in the burg game? I mean do you think they looked like better athletes than they really are because of the competition they’ve played. You would think they would at least been able to score. Really I’m not trying to start an argument but let’s talk football and what reality actually is. Yes being fast, jumping high and being quick makes you a good athlete. When you put on the pads and don’t like contact that’s an equalizer. Some kids make up for not being athletic because they are tough which makes them good football players. Heart will take you a long way in this sport.

VILLAGE IDIOT
Riding the Bench

Post by VILLAGE IDIOT »

I agree that Waverly should put 8 or 9 in the box and force west to pass. Make them beat us by throwing the ball. Speed will stop a running game everytime. Last weeks score vs burg was very misleading. Burgs first 3 touchdowns came off 3 turnovers ( 2 fumbles and 1 interception) if Waverly doesn't turn the ball over i can see them beating west by 14. I haven't seen west play this year but they sound a lot like Unioto, very 1 dimensional. Again i say if the Tigers load the box i believe they come away victorious.
Last edited by VILLAGE IDIOT on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

WHSgrad2000
Riding the Bench

Post by WHSgrad2000 »

Only have seen West for a couple quarters vs. Minford. If there secondary plays that soft against Waverly and Shanks has any protection at all Waverly will light up the scoreboard and they won't need the ball very long to score. I want to know does West have a passing to speak of at all. If the Tigers put 7-8 in the box we can slow a ground game and our DB's are talented. West has to keep Waverly honest on defense. Should be a good one and did I hear right ? Temp in the 50's for Football Friday Night it's about time.
Turnovers may be the key the team who wins the turnover battle I say wins.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I think this game is close the first half and then West starts wearing Waverly's front down and allows Hurd to get loose. Hurd is just a very hard, gritty runner.

I have to be honest, the Valley vs Waverly game took Waverly down several spots on the totem pole. The same Valley team quit at halftime against West as they were tired of getting hit. I know it's hard to base how teams do against each other but I just see West taking this game over and winning by several scores.

Return to “Football”