JV Game cancelled Sat. Oct. 13 due to no available officials/referees

General Chat
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: JV Game cancelled Sat. Oct. 13 due to no available officials/referees

Post by VetteMan »

OSUNUT52 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:46 pm One the biggest reasons are the total number of officials has been declining, there are classes all the time for the arm chair officials out there that don't realize the mass amount of difference in rule changes between the NFL NCAA and NfHS. The refs are not being paid near enough to put up with what hey have to on a daily basis.
I agree with what you say. A lot of the Officals work day time jobs, and have to really hustle to get to the games. If you consider the time and the distance that they sometimes have to drive, then they are not making a lot of money. I really believe that the majority really love the game, and it somewhat keeps them involved.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:17 pm
OSUNUT52 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:46 pm One the biggest reasons are the total number of officials has been declining, there are classes all the time for the arm chair officials out there that don't realize the mass amount of difference in rule changes between the NFL NCAA and NfHS. The refs are not being paid near enough to put up with what hey have to on a daily basis.
I agree with what you say. A lot of the Officals work day time jobs, and have to really hustle to get to the games. If you consider the time and the distance that they sometimes have to drive, then they are not making a lot of money. I really believe that the majority really love the game, and it somewhat keeps them involved.
Oh now, some of the games I've been to if you listen to those fans and people on here, there's TONS of officials. They just don't have stripped shirts on is all :lol: . Just give some of those folks a whistle and let's see how they do because they're such experts from the stands they should be even better right by the action. :lol:

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

True! Who would ever want to put up with the craziness these crews deal with...not me. I’m glad we have people out there willing to take the abuse for for less money than they deserve.

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:43 am
VetteMan wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:17 pm
Oh now, some of the games I've been to if you listen to those fans and people on here, there's TONS of officials. They just don't have stripped shirts on is all :lol: . Just give some of those folks a whistle and let's see how they do because they're such experts from the stands they should be even better right by the action. :lol:
So true, and the biggest reason high school sports are declining. Parents want to know why sports are dying? Look in the mirror first.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

E High wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 am I’ve done many lower levels games for years. Now you have to get certified and pay money to do that now. I get that for liability reasons, but many of us did this to help local schools. We had no desire to do varsity games and now there’s a shortage of officials in many sports. Money grabbing OHSAA wins again but hurts the players. It will get worse going forward like HS sports in general.
Money grabbing? What, having requirements in place for ensuring at least a minimum standard of competency with rules and mechanics? The shortage of officials is directly related to how fans and coaches act, especially at lower levels.

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:16 am
E High wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 am I’ve done many lower levels games for years. Now you have to get certified and pay money to do that now. I get that for liability reasons, but many of us did this to help local schools. We had no desire to do varsity games and now there’s a shortage of officials in many sports. Money grabbing OHSAA wins again but hurts the players. It will get worse going forward like HS sports in general.
Money grabbing? What, having requirements in place for ensuring at least a minimum standard of competency with rules and mechanics? The shortage of officials is directly related to how fans and coaches act, especially at lower levels.
Absolutely. And it’s worse in basketball because the parents.... I mean fans... are right on top of the action.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Suggesting coaches officiate? Highly frowned upon by the OHSAA to have non licensed officials doing member school games, even at junior high level. It was ok in the past, but not anymore, especially with the mandated concussion protocol and sudden cardiac arrest training.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Momma
Waterboy

Post by Momma »

wowzer33 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:59 am Me and my crew would be happy to do this game

Great Man

I am a parent and I appreciate all the officals do. I do not complain because I believe that the officals are doing the best they can

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Frank Reagan wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:25 am Suggesting coaches officiate? Highly frowned upon by the OHSAA to have non licensed officials doing member school games, even at junior high level. It was ok in the past, but not anymore, especially with the mandated concussion protocol and sudden cardiac arrest training.
I believe there is a liability concern with having non-licensed officials doing a game.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

teach1coach2 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:13 pm
Frank Reagan wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:25 am Suggesting coaches officiate? Highly frowned upon by the OHSAA to have non licensed officials doing member school games, even at junior high level. It was ok in the past, but not anymore, especially with the mandated concussion protocol and sudden cardiac arrest training.
I believe there is a liability concern with having non-licensed officials doing a game.
Absolutely!

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
wvabuckeye
Waterboy

Post by wvabuckeye »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:16 am
This is spot on more than anything else . . , the sad part is the amount of fans, players and parents that have NO clue what kind of time the vast majority of officials put into the avocation they love only to be told by the bleacher "experts" they don't know anything

Go Bucks! Go Bengals!
Go Cavs! Go Reds! Go Indians!
edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

Its happen 2 times in WV this year for Varsity games
Teams were on the field warming up before any one even noticed that no refs had showed up for the game.
Grafton at Petersburg
Tygarts Valley at Richwood

Return to “The Off season”