Waverly 34 Logan 20

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Week 10 Logan (1-8) at Waverly (8-1)

Post by loganlocos »

MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 am If you are a Tiger fan, I think this game makes you nervous. It is scary facing a team who has a bad record but have faced so many really good opponents and they should not be taken lightly one bit. What are Logan's strengths/weaknesses? What kind of offense do they run? Is there D better against the pass or run?
Logan's team is a tale of two seasons, really. Through the first four weeks they weren't really good at anything.

After losing to Sheridan, the team changed up the offense (from a spread to a veer/option) - and not only has the offense been better but the defense has come on in leaps and bounds. Still, this isn't a "great" team as you can obviously see from their record.

And close losses are great and all, but Logan hasn't led any of these games in the second half. So they have been a long way from winning any of them.

Logan's strengths:
OFFENSE -
QB is a perfect "option" quarterback. Determined runner, low center of gravity, really starting to understand his reads.

Running back is a good strong runner. I think he spend a few weeks with a nagging injury, but played his best game of the season last week.

Receivers are good. Above average blockers and good at getting open and catching passes.

Offensive line is good when they don't commit mental mistakes.

DEFENSE -
Defensive line has decent depth. Have players who can really cause problems.

Linebackers are hugely improved. The outside linebacker - when he plays aggressive but without getting out of position - is in on a lot of plays.

The secondary is athletic and can make plays.

WEAKNESSES:

OFFENSE:
Have to stay on schedule. Logan commits a ton of penalties and the QB doesn't have the arm to get the team out of trouble.

Still learning the offense. You'll still see the team get of schedule because of miscommunications between ballcarriers.

Offensive line is inconsistent. Very much a momentum offense - but commits to many penalties (false starts, holds).

One dimensional. Very limited in the pass game (in either offense).

DEFENSE:
Across the board, the purple and white have players who occasionally take plays off.

The defense can have pre-snap alignment issues and miscommunications in coverage. This is a place Waverly can exploit.

LInebackers can struggle to avoid/get off of blocks.

Can be susceptible to misdirection, screens, and draws.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

dazed&confused wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 am Changes? What changes? What makes anyone think the powers that be believe blowing up the program is warranted. I sit in the stands. I don't know what the admin thinks. They might look at Logan competing better in games and stay the course. That's a lot easier than confrontation.
Logan did make recent changes to the boys and girls basketball program - in spite of some relative success.

But I agree I'm not sure that the admin/school board see a problem (beyond talent) in the football program, so I don't expect any changes.

PowerLifitingNut
Riding the Bench

Re: WK10: Logan (1-8) @ Waverly (8-1)

Post by PowerLifitingNut »

It's kind of sad to see such a storied program fall so hard. Especially when the coach they brought in was one of those "proven winners" we read so much about on here. Unfortunately for Logan and the other teams who hired "proven winners" they hardly ever prove they can win. So next year will be a new year and I trust a new system will be put in place. But I bet Logan can't get in the TVC fast enough for their fans so they can battle Athens and NY for the title year in and year out.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:53 am
dazed&confused wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 am Changes? What changes? What makes anyone think the powers that be believe blowing up the program is warranted. I sit in the stands. I don't know what the admin thinks. They might look at Logan competing better in games and stay the course. That's a lot easier than confrontation.
Logan did make recent changes to the boys and girls basketball program - in spite of some relative success.

But I agree I'm not sure that the admin/school board see a problem (beyond talent) in the football program, so I don't expect any changes.
Follow the lack of money the football program generates! :mrgreen:

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 am If you are a Tiger fan, I think this game makes you nervous. It is scary facing a team who has a bad record but have faced so many really good opponents and they should not be taken lightly one bit. What are Logan's strengths/weaknesses? What kind of offense do they run? Is there D better against the pass or run?
Logan's team is a tale of two seasons, really. Through the first four weeks they weren't really good at anything.

After losing to Sheridan, the team changed up the offense (from a spread to a veer/option) - and not only has the offense been better but the defense has come on in leaps and bounds. Still, this isn't a "great" team as you can obviously see from their record.

And close losses are great and all, but Logan hasn't led any of these games in the second half. So they have been a long way from winning any of them.

Logan's strengths:
OFFENSE -
QB is a perfect "option" quarterback. Determined runner, low center of gravity, really starting to understand his reads.

Running back is a good strong runner. I think he spend a few weeks with a nagging injury, but played his best game of the season last week.

Receivers are good. Above average blockers and good at getting open and catching passes.

Offensive line is good when they don't commit mental mistakes.

DEFENSE -
Defensive line has decent depth. Have players who can really cause problems.

Linebackers are hugely improved. The outside linebacker - when he plays aggressive but without getting out of position - is in on a lot of plays.

The secondary is athletic and can make plays.

WEAKNESSES:

OFFENSE:
Have to stay on schedule. Logan commits a ton of penalties and the QB doesn't have the arm to get the team out of trouble.

Still learning the offense. You'll still see the team get of schedule because of miscommunications between ballcarriers.

Offensive line is inconsistent. Very much a momentum offense - but commits to many penalties (false starts, holds).

One dimensional. Very limited in the pass game (in either offense).

DEFENSE:
Across the board, the purple and white have players who occasionally take plays off.

The defense can have pre-snap alignment issues and miscommunications in coverage. This is a place Waverly can exploit.

LInebackers can struggle to avoid/get off of blocks.

Can be susceptible to misdirection, screens, and draws.
Awesome breakdown, appreciate it!
With the run game being their strength, that could be to their advantage as the Tigers have shown that they can struggle at stopping the run. Although they seemed to do a much better job two weeks ago against West. The Tigers can strike quick and often on the offensive side of the ball, so seeing that Logan may struggle in coverage at times could be a huge concern for them.
Overall I think this is still an interesting matchup. Just looking at the game on paper, I would say Waverly will run away with it. But will not be one bit shocked if this is a close game.
I know it is somewhat of a longer haul for the Logan faithful, but I hope some of you make the trip down and enjoy your time at the stadium.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:28 pm Awesome breakdown, appreciate it!
With the run game being their strength, that could be to their advantage as the Tigers have shown that they can struggle at stopping the run. Although they seemed to do a much better job two weeks ago against West. The Tigers can strike quick and often on the offensive side of the ball, so seeing that Logan may struggle in coverage at times could be a huge concern for them.
Overall I think this is still an interesting matchup. Just looking at the game on paper, I would say Waverly will run away with it. But will not be one bit shocked if this is a close game.
I know it is somewhat of a longer haul for the Logan faithful, but I hope some of you make the trip down and enjoy your time at the stadium.
I don't make it to many games anymore - I actually live in Dublin - so won't be there in person, but Waverly has done a great job upgrading Raidiger Field.

Logan's biggest problem on offense is that they have to stay on schedule and have to execute very well for 10-12 plays to score. They aren't "explosive" and chew up the field in 3-8 yard spurts. It's efficient - and controls the clock which helps the defense - but you really have to stay focused and avoid mistakes which Logan hasn't done often enough this year. Lots of redzone mistakes too - fumbles, sacks, penalties, etc.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I’m a firm beleaver in you are what your record says you are. I’m going Waverly 35 Logan 13

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Lightle04 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm I’m a firm beleaver in you are what your record says you are. I’m going Waverly 35 Logan 13
Agreed.

I think that's my overall point. Is Logan playing much better? Yes.

But they haven't held a second half lead in any of their recent "close" losses. Waverly will have too much for the Chiefs.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm
Lightle04 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm I’m a firm beleaver in you are what your record says you are. I’m going Waverly 35 Logan 13
Agreed.

I think that's my overall point. Is Logan playing much better? Yes.

But they haven't held a second half lead in any of their recent "close" losses. Waverly will have too much for the Chiefs.
I agree with both, The one sad killer of the program, there is talent roaming the halls! :mrgreen:

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

As of now, the weather isn't looking too hot for Friday night. Hopefully it changes before kickoff

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:52 pm As of now, the weather isn't looking too hot for Friday night. Hopefully it changes before kickoff
Ya, it’s not lookin good but that’s the way it looked the past 4 weeks. Rain held off at Waverly two weeks ago and at Minford this past Friday night. Hopefully it does this Friday as well

WHSgrad2000
Riding the Bench

Post by WHSgrad2000 »

Weather still looks awful for Friday, the Tigers need some upsets to help their playoff seeding maybe the weather will help that along. Joe Eitel says we can't drop lower than sixth even with a loss, but we can also fall to sixth with a win. A lot of other games will decide our final fate in the playoffs.

As far as this game goes. I think the Tigers will keep rolling along and might need to run the ball more than normal with the weather being yucky, but I still think Waverly skill players are too much for the Chieftains.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

This should be a close game and weather could make it the great equalizer. But Waverly is still Waverly and Logan, while down, is still Logan. Waverly has played the typical small school SEO schedule - easy, lacking in competition and and some luck has produced a good record so far. They will make the playoffs where they will be brutalized. Logan has played a more difficult schedule against larger division Central Ohio schools with little success. Yet they field a strong D and with a wet field or rain game, would have Waverly O neutralized. Years of competition when Waverly was in the SEOAL with Logan showed poor success with few wins against the Chiefs, up or down. Waverly might win this game, but it should be close and competitive. Logan, as bad as they are, could also win against a team that would not fare well against the schedule the Chiefs played. Last chance for the Chiefs to add a second win and Waverly gets a good tune up, win or lose , for the playoffs. Probably the most interesting match up in SEO this weekend.. Great success vs. poor success. Small vs big. Former league mates with a long history. Skilled O vs solid D.

Bring on the rain and hope for an injury free game.

Have gun, will travel
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Paladin wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:32 am This should be a close game and weather could make it the great equalizer. But Waverly is still Waverly and Logan, while down, is still Logan. Waverly has played the typical small school SEO schedule - easy, lacking in competition and and some luck has produced a good record so far. They will make the playoffs where they will be brutalized. Logan has played a more difficult schedule against larger division Central Ohio schools with little success. Yet they field a strong D and with a wet field or rain game, would have Waverly O neutralized. Years of competition when Waverly was in the SEOAL with Logan showed poor success with few wins against the Chiefs, up or down. Waverly might win this game, but it should be close and competitive. Logan, as bad as they are, could also win against a team that would not fare well against the schedule the Chiefs played. Last chance for the Chiefs to add a second win and Waverly gets a good tune up, win or lose , for the playoffs. Probably the most interesting match up in SEO this weekend.. Great success vs. poor success. Small vs big. Former league mates with a long history. Skilled O vs solid D.

Bring on the rain and hope for an injury free game.
Great post! Does anyone have the number of times Waverly has played Logan? When the last time they played and what the all time series stands? I knew they were both in the SEOAL but it wasn't a very long stint for Waverly

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

The old grumpy codger Paladin is right on this one as I look for Logan to win.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Kicker. wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:48 am Great post! Does anyone have the number of times Waverly has played Logan? When the last time they played and what the all time series stands? I knew they were both in the SEOAL but it wasn't a very long stint for Waverly
Logan and Waverly have played 12 times, all as SEOAL foes.

The teams played every year from 1970-1982 with the lone exception being 1978 when eight of Logan's 10 games were cancelled due to the LHS teachers' strike.

1970 - Logan 42, Waverly 12
1971 - Logan 14, Waverly 7
1972 - Logan 42, Waverly 12
1973 - Logan 41, Waverly 0
1974 - Logan 49, Waverly 6
1975 - Logan 35, Waverly 0
1976 - Logan 53, Waverly 0
1977 - Logan 42, Waverly 0
1978 - NO GAME
1979 - Logan 12, Waverly 6
1980 - Logan 21, Waverly 20
1981 - Waverly 13, Logan 0
1982 - Logan 10, Waverly 7

To be fair - the Tigers' probably had one of their worst ever decades on the gridiron while they were in the SEOAL.

Waverly and Jackson tied 14-14 to end the 1969 season. Waverly had won 24 straight games entering that night. Jackson finished 9-0-1 that year and were the SEOAL champions. The next year Waverly joined the SEOAL and their program fell apart.

Waverly and Jackson played 31 times after the Tigers left the SEOAL - the Ironmen went 18-13 over that period including one playoff game (a Waverly win). Jackson was a dominant SEOAL team over that period.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Dandy Don wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:04 am The old grumpy codger Paladin is right on this one as I look for Logan to win.
You got the "old grumpy" part right. This is another chance for old grumpy to sing the praises of Logan and poor mouth the rest of SE Ohio. What he neglects to mention is Logan is once again playing a school that is much smaller than them. In fact, 6 of Logans opponents are from divisions lower than them, while 4 are from the same division. None are from a higher division. So when he says, "Logan has played a more difficult schedule against larger division Central Ohio schools..." he's obviously making that sh## up to make Logan look better. This is one reason people hate Logan. Of course Old Grumpy would love for Logan to be playing all smaller schools. So yes he'll brag and pound his chest if Logan wins this game no doubt. Remember when he crowed about Logan beating D7 Shadyside a few years ago? That year Shadyside went 4-6. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ground Buck wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:07 am
Dandy Don wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:04 am The old grumpy codger Paladin is right on this one as I look for Logan to win.
You got the "old grumpy" part right. This is another chance for old grumpy to sing the praises of Logan and poor mouth the rest of SE Ohio. What he neglects to mention is Logan is once again playing a school that is much smaller than them. In fact, 6 of Logans opponents are from divisions lower than them, while 4 are from the same division. None are from a higher division. So when he says, "Logan has played a more difficult schedule against larger division Central Ohio schools..." he's obviously making that sh## up to make Logan look better. This is one reason people hate Logan. Of course Old Grumpy would love for Logan to be playing all smaller schools. So yes he'll brag and pound his chest if Logan wins this game no doubt. Remember when he crowed about Logan beating D7 Shadyside a few years ago? That year Shadyside went 4-6. :mrgreen:
You read what you want to read.

I believe Paladin is saying that Logan has played "larger division Central Ohio schools" than Waverly has played. Not that Logan is playing schools larger than Logan.

Paladin is a lot of things - arrogant, loud, passionate, combative - but he's not an idiot. He can read.

Also, here's what Paladin said after Logan beat Shadyside in 2015:

"Congrats to the Chiefs. Good win." (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64413&start=80)

If that's "crowing" you might be a little sensitive. And Shadyside actually finished 4-7 losing a close first round playoff game at Trimble (14-17).

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

loganlocos wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:21 am
Ground Buck wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:07 am
You read what you want to read.

I believe Paladin is saying that Logan has played "larger division Central Ohio schools" than Waverly has played. Not that Logan is playing schools larger than Logan.

Paladin is a lot of things - arrogant, loud, passionate, combative - but he's not an idiot. He can read.

Also, here's what Paladin said after Logan beat Shadyside in 2015:

"Congrats to the Chiefs. Good win." (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64413&start=80)

If that's "crowing" you might be a little sensitive. And Shadyside actually finished 4-7 losing a close first round playoff game at Trimble (14-17).
I know what he wrote about Logan's schedule, and you must not be able to read cause you quoted it and then contradicted it. To me and the rest of the world "larger division Central Ohio schools" means schools from large divisions and that simply is wrong. None of them are from a larger division. He crowed for months about how Shadyside was a great pickup since they are a "state power" and Logan is willing to step out of the area and schedule tough teams while the rest of SEO shies away from it. So yea, I'd call that "crowing." What he failed to mention is that yes Logan stepped out of SEO, but for a school 5 divisions lower than them. And I disagree with you, he is an idiot. Many on here agree with me on that. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Ground Buck wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:39 am

I know what he wrote about Logan's schedule, and you must not be able to read cause you quoted it and then contradicted it. To me and the rest of the world "larger division Central Ohio schools" means schools from large divisions and that simply is wrong. None of them are from a larger division. He crowed for months about how Shadyside was a great pickup since they are a "state power" and Logan is willing to step out of the area and schedule tough teams while the rest of SEO shies away from it. So yea, I'd call that "crowing." What he failed to mention is that yes Logan stepped out of SEO, but for a school 5 divisions lower than them. And I disagree with you, he is an idiot. Many on here agree with me on that. :mrgreen:
"Logan has played a more difficult schedule against larger division Central Ohio schools with little success."

In a vacuum you are correct. However, when reading, context is important.

The sentence in question immediately follows a sentence about Waverly's schedule. Therefore, context clues (let's remember English class now), point to the fact that the sentence is a contrast to the sentence about Waverly's schedule.

Logan's schedule has A) larger division teams than Waverly and B) more teams from central Ohio than Waverly.

So you can ignore all context to make your point. I'll stick to what written words actually mean.

Return to “Football”