Region 11 Playoff Watch

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Region 11 Playoff Watch

Post by loganlocos »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:40 pm I'm disappointed you didnt add Athens, Locos.
#hater

Lol
You have to get IN the playoffs in order to have a shot at Hartley ;)

veer
Freshman Team

Post by veer »

Yes we shall see. This will be an exciting region to watch unfold. A team that I have seen play a few times that could cause some problems in this region is Hillsboro. Their defense can be suspect at times, but their offense is a load to stop. They are big up front and have very big athletic backs that love to pound the rock. If these Columbus schools are not used to seeing a team that only throws 2 times a game, Hillsboro could be a challenging match up. I know Hartley is used to that style of play, but has Eastmoor Academy seen that type of team this season?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Independence traditionally does not throw it much. But I haven’t followed the City League too close up here this year.

veer
Freshman Team

Post by veer »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:47 pm Independence traditionally does not throw it much. But I haven’t followed the City League too close up here this year.
I'm right there with you. I dont know anything about the City League other than all the teams like the spread offense. Hillsboro's offense is a Navy style option offense which is very hard to prepare for when you havent seen it all year.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

veer wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:22 am
loganlocos wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:47 pm Independence traditionally does not throw it much. But I haven’t followed the City League too close up here this year.
I'm right there with you. I dont know anything about the City League other than all the teams like the spread offense. Hillsboro's offense is a Navy style option offense which is very hard to prepare for when you havent seen it all year.
I live in Dublin, so I sometimes have a better grasp on the Central Ohio football. I've been to a couple of OCC games. In fact - Hilliard Davidson runs a multiple triple option offense and I watched them beat previously unbeaten Dublin Coffman without throwing a pass.

Usually a city league team or two runs an option offense and/or wing-t. Independence has always been more of an I-formation running team, same for Northland.

Looking at area statistics, only a couple of City League QBs are toward the top in passing yards (Eastmoor, Marion-Franklin). Eastmoor also has a top rusher.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Eastmoor is a spread team. They run a lot of RPO. Their QB is very quick. They are a senior heavy team. They played a brutal schedule last year and were the #9 seed. They beat independence by 20 last year who put a running clock on Jackson. I know a few people have told me they will beat Hartley

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I wasn't that impressed with Independence last season. Yes, they beat Jackson 32-7, but that was a 12-7 game late in the 3rdQ. Jackson was playing without several starters and still held their own until they were worn down and Independence poured it on in the 4thQ.

I admittedly don't know much about Eastmoor, but I'd be shocked if they beat Hartley.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 pmDeSales is probably 2nd best team but probably won't make it and Hartley beat them 28-14 albeit it was 21-14 late in 4th when DeSales had a turnover that Hartley scored on in last couple of minutes.
It was 14-14 when Hartley recovered the bobbled snap with about 10 minutes left in the game. DeSales was manhandled in the second half. Hartley took some dives and a strategic knee on the last drive to avoid scoring another. Final score was 21-14.
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 pmEastmoor has city athletes but no discipline
Eastmoor is a STEM magnet school full of nerds. They've got plenty of discipline.
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 pmSheridan is Sheridan, big ole tough country boys but "skilled " position athletes give them lots of problems.
Their wide receiver finished 2nd in the 100 last spring. Hartley's blazing fast QB finished 8th. Team finished 3rd. DeSales finished 15th; Hartley 28th. I think they'll be plenty fast enough to compete with the skilled athletes in this division.
FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:09 pmGranville does well in the LCL yearly but IMO are soft on defense
Granville's new coach has made a quick turnaround regarding "soft" in the last 7 months, and he outcoached Hartley last season in the regional final.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

veer wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 amA team that I have seen play a few times that could cause some problems in this region is Hillsboro. Their defense can be suspect at times, but their offense is a load to stop. They are big up front and have very big athletic backs that love to pound the rock. If these Columbus schools are not used to seeing a team that only throws 2 times a game, Hillsboro could be a challenging match up. I know Hartley is used to that style of play, but has Eastmoor Academy seen that type of team this season?
Hillsboro is a one and done. They're looking to face Eastmoor Academy in Week 11. Eastmoor will have a big size advantage and a massive speed advantage. Hillsboro isn't prepared for competing in the playoffs with that D-IV schedule they play. Likewise with Bellbrook. Eastmoor has done pretty well with what is a D-II/D-III schedule. They completely destroyed Marion Franklin as thoroughly as Hartley would have. MF themselves would have been a tough playoff out for anyone in the region. Going to be some visitors lit up along James Rd on eastside of Columbus in a couple weeks.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:49 amI know a few people have told me they will beat Hartley
I think that's a definite possibility if the Hawk's handsey secondary gets matched up with a bunch of confused, flag-happy refs who can't admit that they're too old and too slow to keep up with the young speedsters on the field and also see when the QB releases at the same time. I think the Hawk's methodically boring offense will wear them down and eventually just outscore them.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

ironman02 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:23 pmI wasn't that impressed with Independence last season.
They looked fairly horrible in the Hartley game. I hate those week 12 blowouts.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I'll basically second almost everything sapientia et veritas - a man who lives up to his screen name.

Don't think anyone can beat Hartley.

Eastmoor is probably the second best team in the region - closer to Harltey than they are to the next team.

Don't sleep on Graville or Sheridan.

Don't know ANYTHING about Bellbrook. They have a couple of really good programs on their schedule (looking at you, Valley View) - but they all seem to have had down years so hard to get a read on them.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Come on locos. DeSales had Hartley dead to rights. Fumbled in their own 20, allowing Hartley to win 21-14 I think it was.

Hartley may not even make it out of the first round. Lol

veer
Freshman Team

Post by veer »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:53 pm
veer wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:33 amA team that I have seen play a few times that could cause some problems in this region is Hillsboro. Their defense can be suspect at times, but their offense is a load to stop. They are big up front and have very big athletic backs that love to pound the rock. If these Columbus schools are not used to seeing a team that only throws 2 times a game, Hillsboro could be a challenging match up. I know Hartley is used to that style of play, but has Eastmoor Academy seen that type of team this season?
Hillsboro is a one and done. They're looking to face Eastmoor Academy in Week 11. Eastmoor will have a big size advantage and a massive speed advantage. Hillsboro isn't prepared for competing in the playoffs with that D-IV schedule they play. Likewise with Bellbrook. Eastmoor has done pretty well with what is a D-II/D-III schedule. They completely destroyed Marion Franklin as thoroughly as Hartley would have. MF themselves would have been a tough playoff out for anyone in the region. Going to be some visitors lit up along James Rd on eastside of Columbus in a couple weeks.
Big size advantage? No. Speed advantage yes, but size, no. And doesn’t Eastmoor play a D6 school this week?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am Come on locos. DeSales had Hartley dead to rights. Fumbled in their own 20, allowing Hartley to win 21-14 I think it was.

Hartley may not even make it out of the first round. Lol
I'm sure Hartley is shaking in their boots at the thought of the MIGHTY BULLDOGS coming up to Livingstone Ave!

At least it would be a good excuse for you to treat yourself to The TOP for a good dinner beforehand!

veer
Freshman Team

Post by veer »

And you can make the argument that schools who play D2/D3 schools are better prepared for the playoffs but Hillsboro would do just fine against St. Charles, who lost to WCH and Hillsboro scored 71 on WCH, and they would do just fine against Franklin Heights, South, Briggs, West. Those schools are not anything to brag about this season.

According to Fantastic50 Eastmoor strength of schedule is 67 of 107 teams and Hillsboro is 89 of 107. So neither teams plays a very "tough" schedule.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Latin guy is historically pretty truthful and wise lol with his prognosticating abilities - so he has some credibility. The best thing for the Region would probably be for DeSales to somehow slide in 7 spot and then they and the Hawks could work their way to a Regional Final as the two most deserving teams. But that probably isn't going to happen.

I am not sure Eastmoor will have that much of a size advantage - length yes, width maybe not so much as Hillsboro has some big lads based on the pictures I saw of their win over Jackson, but speed wise Boro will be at a disadvantage. Fact is Hillsboro doesn't apologize for who they are or what they do, and honestly I think they have some first half success. Hartley clearly the favorites for R11. Don't know anything about any other team, Jackson is an enigma this year, some of their losses are head scratchers, getting down 30-0 or so to Western Brown is well, just bizarre. If they get in against Bellbrook or Granville I give them a punchers chance to win week 11 but that is it. I have them losing to Chilli anyway this week.

Interesting Region and at end of day I respect what the Hawks do and think they play Week 14 and rep R11.

veer
Freshman Team

Post by veer »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:47 pm Latin guy is historically pretty truthful and wise lol with his prognosticating abilities - so he has some credibility. The best thing for the Region would probably be for DeSales to somehow slide in 7 spot and then they and the Hawks could work their way to a Regional Final as the two most deserving teams. But that probably isn't going to happen.

I am not sure Eastmoor will have that much of a size advantage - length yes, width maybe not so much as Hillsboro has some big lads based on the pictures I saw of their win over Jackson, but speed wise Boro will be at a disadvantage. Fact is Hillsboro doesn't apologize for who they are or what they do, and honestly I think they have some first half success. Hartley clearly the favorites for R11. Don't know anything about any other team, Jackson is an enigma this year, some of their losses are head scratchers, getting down 30-0 or so to Western Brown is well, just bizarre. If they get in against Bellbrook or Granville I give them a punchers chance to win week 11 but that is it. I have them losing to Chilli anyway this week.

Interesting Region and at end of day I respect what the Hawks do and think they play Week 14 and rep R11.
Very well stated. I agree.

Western Brown is honestly a decent team. Their record does not reflect that because of the inconsistency of their offense....they throw the ball literally every down. Spread it out and throw it every play. Im not sure ive ever seen a HS spread team that doesnt run Jet sweep or any other types of run plays...until i watched WB. Throw it or QB scramble.... They have been in and almost won every game played short of Clinton Massie. So they are a competitive team that could knock off a lot of teams any given Friday...Jackson just happened to see them at the wrong time.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

veer wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Very well stated. I agree.

Western Brown is honestly a decent team. Their record does not reflect that because of the inconsistency of their offense....they throw the ball literally every down. Spread it out and throw it every play. Im not sure ive ever seen a HS spread team that doesnt run Jet sweep or any other types of run plays...until i watched WB. Throw it or QB scramble.... They have been in and almost won every game played short of Clinton Massie. So they are a competitive team that could knock off a lot of teams any given Friday...Jackson just happened to see them at the wrong time.
Yeah. I saw WB on film last year and the year before because Logan played Hamilton Ross (who played WB).

I mean - you're not exaggerating really. Weird weird team on offense.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Actually - WB reminds of what Brian Spicer does on offense. I assume he did the same at Hillsboro trying to throw it all the time.

Return to “Football”