PA Announcers : What makes you like them and the way they do their thing?

Shamrocks 5263
Waterboy

Re: PA Announcers : What makes you like them and the way they do their thing?

Post by Shamrocks 5263 »

ArmChairQB wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:24 pm I dislike the announcer at Alexander.. Nails on a chalkboard.
I couldn’t agree with you more. I’ve been saying that since I’ve had to go to that place.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:46 pm Also I’ll shout out to Dan Morrow who does radio for Jackson football and basketball. He speaks on the radio of every kid knowing their grandparents are likely listening. Also a smooth voice, pretty unbiased calling and mixes in his views and analysis nicely.

Bob Grillo is much like Morrow (good ol Jackson boys from the mid 70’s)....and the wkkj guys are really good.
pretty well said

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
bulldog77
Waterboy

Post by bulldog77 »

Dundas wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:32 pm
bulldog77 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 pm The fact they are voluntarily doing a job in addition to their regular FT jobs is sufficient enough. No need to whine about what they do unless someone wants to step up and take their place.
I have done PA for various games as a fill in. All I ask is they don’t break the ohsaa rules. Teams/coaches and even bands are penalized when they break the rules. Why is it okay for PA announcers to break the rules? Band members, players and even some coaches are volunteers. So that excuse isn’t really valid.

What rules do PA announcers break?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

bulldog77 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 pm
Dundas wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:32 pm
bulldog77 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 pm The fact they are voluntarily doing a job in addition to their regular FT jobs is sufficient enough. No need to whine about what they do unless someone wants to step up and take their place.
I have done PA for various games as a fill in. All I ask is they don’t break the ohsaa rules. Teams/coaches and even bands are penalized when they break the rules. Why is it okay for PA announcers to break the rules? Band members, players and even some coaches are volunteers. So that excuse isn’t really valid.

What rules do PA announcers break?
Calling ply by play over the PA system. It is against the ohsaa rules to do so. It happened 3 times tonight at Wellston.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

West's announcer is a buffoon

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

packers80 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:21 pm West's announcer is a buffoon
Which one haha

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

cant stand ironton's !!! wished he go back to coal grove

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

Last night at the Burg/West game West pa announcer was bad he would continue to talk about split the pot or whatever while the qb's were under center trying to call out their signals and plus he was playing music during the plays at most fields they stop the music and or speaking right before the center snaps the ball. Well not at West and the speaker system was broke or something all we could hear on the Burg side was echoes everything the announcer would say we would hear twice but anyway my bitch mode is over lol and good luck to all the area teams who made the playoffs

Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

4) Announcers - should be reminded by the game administration of the following:
a. Exemplify sporting conduct (use good taste).
b. Provide information only rather than perform play-by-play or critique of the officials.
c. Be positive towards guests as well as the home team. The visiting team and their fans are your
guests and should be treated as such. Creating an intimidating environment is NOT appropriate.
d. Respect all who are involved in the game.
e. Note: For additional information on improving the level of professionalism in announcing, visit the
National Association of School Public Address Announcers web site at www.naspaa.net . Included
is a code of conduct and an online course for public address announcers.

https://www.naspaa.net/?p=Code%20of%20Conduct

NASPAA Code of Conduct

The following principles and expectations underscore the NASPAA’s P.A. announcing philosophy. P.A. announcers who utilize these guidelines will be in a position to announce virtually any athletic event with confidence.
1. Announcers shall understand that their role is to provide pertinent information in a timely manner and to do so professionally and not attempt to be bigger than the game or event by doing play-by-play or by providing commentary in an effort to entertain or to draw attention to himself or herself.

2. Announcers shall understand that because they have a tremendous influence on the crowd and that cheerleading or antics designed to incite the crowd for the purpose of gaining an advantage for their team is inappropriate.

3. Announcers shall promote good sportsmanship and a positive environment by what they say and how they act.

4. Announcers shall treat the opponents and their fans as guests, not the enemy.

5. Announcers shall respect the individuals who are responsible for the conduct and administration of athletic games and events, such as coaches, officials and administrators, and avoid making any comments that reflect positively or negatively on them.

6. Announcers shall respect the participants of all teams and remain neutral when introducing the starting participants, announcing substitutions and the outcome of plays or performances of the participants.

7. Announcers shall be competent. This means following approved announcing guidelines, expectations and policies, such as emergency procedures, provided by the administration or the host facility.

8. Announcers shall be prepared, such as being familiar with the correct pronunciations of the participants’ names, knowing the rules of the sport, the officials’ signals and how the game is played.

9. Announcers shall exhibit professional behavior and represent their school, organization or association with respect and dignity at all times by what they say, how they act and how they appear.

10. Announcers shall avoid using alcohol and tobacco products at the venue.

Zunardo
Freshman Team

Post by Zunardo »

Bigdog wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:00 am
https://www.naspaa.net/?p=Code%20of%20Conduct

NASPAA Code of Conduct .....
Great stuff, Bigdog. NASPAA is an excellent resource. Bob Kennedy, who does a superb job on the PA during Ohio State football games, is a certified NASPAA training instructor, and has taught at NASPAA seminars in central Ohio.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

What makes you think I want to like you? I came to a football game, not an announcing contest.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Kicker. wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:34 pm Waverlys announcer is good he's on top of things, and Burgs announcer is great he's got a good voice for it
The Deemer doing fine job for Burg. West does good job.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

rxburgfan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:24 pm
Kicker. wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:34 pm Waverlys announcer is good he's on top of things, and Burgs announcer is great he's got a good voice for it
The Deemer doing fine job for Burg. West does good job.

He does an excellent job doesn't show too much bias toward his team and is on top of who ran the ball who caught and such

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Steve Cox is one of the best. Nelsonville-York is lucky to have him!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
ArmChairQB
Varsity

Post by ArmChairQB »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:09 pm Steve Cox is one of the best. Nelsonville-York is lucky to have him!
He’s very good .... But too loud. And lets off the button to soon. ‘1st down Buckeye’

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

Announcers are there to call the games, keep the fans up to date, etc. They shouldn't be there to cheer lead. No yelling, no cheering. These are HS kids and the ones on the other side of field are just as important to their team as the ones on the home side are to their team. Treat them all the same. I heard this type of thing years ago at an away basketball game and I couldn't believe their announcer at that time. It was almost embarrassing.

Rule 2. Announcers shall understand that because they have a tremendous influence on the crowd and that cheerleading or antics designed to incite the crowd for the purpose of gaining an advantage for their team is inappropriate.

To me, that includes playing loud music over the pa while the game is actually going on. This happens often.

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:46 pm Also I’ll shout out to Dan Morrow who does radio for Jackson football and basketball. He speaks on the radio of every kid knowing their grandparents are likely listening. Also a smooth voice, pretty unbiased calling and mixes in his views and analysis nicely.

Bob Grillo is much like Morrow (good ol Jackson boys from the mid 70’s)....and the wkkj guys are really good.
I have to agree, Dan Morrow does a wonderful job on the radio. the only games I listen to on the radio are the Jackson games because of him. Jackson is lucky to have him!

Zunardo
Freshman Team

Post by Zunardo »

old benchwarmer wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:27 am Announcers are there to call the games, keep the fans up to date, etc. They shouldn't be there to cheer lead. No yelling, no cheering. These are HS kids and the ones on the other side of field are just as important to their team as the ones on the home side are to their team. Treat them all the same. I heard this type of thing years ago at an away basketball game and I couldn't believe their announcer at that time. It was almost embarrassing.

Rule 2. Announcers shall understand that because they have a tremendous influence on the crowd and that cheerleading or antics designed to incite the crowd for the purpose of gaining an advantage for their team is inappropriate.

To me, that includes playing loud music over the pa while the game is actually going on. This happens often.
Great points.

Honestly, as a visiting fan I don't mind a little homering by the opponents' announcer as long as it's occasional, focused on the home team, is reasonably tasteful and NOT full-blast. There are some that are like that and can still be enjoyable.I look at at it as the charm and ambience of high school football. Obviously that's in conflict with Rule 2, but as long as they're making the regular calls correctly and pronouncing our boys' names correctly (and NOT doing play by play), I can live with it as a fan.

I do up my standards for playoff games, though.

I followed my team to a road game a few years ago, the home team had a younger guy on the mic. He gave the basic info okay, but then he would bellow " FIRRRST - DOWWWWNNNNNN ..... (deep breath) .. TEEEEEEEEEEAM - NAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!" with the knob cranked to 11. Same with touchdowns. A lot of us visitors were cracking up laughing while covering our ears whenever he did that. The kid probably had the idea that it was good for rousing his home team and the home fans. Who knows, maybe it's the only thing that gets that team going. :)

Re music and other stuff played on the PA during the game - Bloom Carroll (Bulldogs) for years have played that clip of dogs barking whenever they score or make a great play. As a visiting fan I've always got a kick out of that, even though I wasn't happy they scored. It's that signature local flavor.

One school we went to 10 or 15 years ago, they put a guy with a laptop in the booth and had him playing sound effect files on almost every play. Wasn't obtrusive or very loud, just got old after a while, and didn't add anything to the announcing - kinda like making your first Powerpoint file and putting in as many animations and transitions you can find. They stopped that by the next season.

I haven't been to any high school games yet where music is played over the PA during the game, but I'm sure there are. It's the modern NBA-style of Public-Address screaming/entertainment that has unfortunately crept slowly into the NFL, college football, and obviously some high schools.

Mrs. Zunardo and I went to see the Buckeyes a few weeks ago, first time in five years, and I was struck by how techno /hip hop was being pumped full-blast at all times during dead-ball situations once the PA guy (Bob Kennedy, still one of the best and a class act) had made his call. Non-stop the entire game, even during halftime after the OSU band was done with their show.

Used to be you could sit and be enveloped by just the sound of 95,000 people in an enclosed space and just let it soak in. No more.it's like the marketing gurus think the fans must have constant artificial aural stimulation or they'll fall asleep.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:09 pm Steve Cox is one of the best. Nelsonville-York is lucky to have him!
Was there last Friday on the visitor side. You couldn't hear any of the names. The only thing you could hear was when he said "first down Buckeyes" and I assume that is because he said that louder than he does when he is saying the player names. Could be a speaker issue on the away side. And this is not a knock on Steve, I know Steve and I think he does a wonderful job.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

ShoeHorn wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 pm
Was there last Friday on the visitor side. You couldn't hear any of the names. The only thing you could hear was when he said "first down Buckeyes" and I assume that is because he said that louder than he does when he is saying the player names. Could be a speaker issue on the away side. And this is not a knock on Steve, I know Steve and I think he does a wonderful job.
It's a speaker issue and it will be fixed before next fall.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Football”