Re: Region 16 #5 Waverly @ #4 Indian Hill

Post by Mister Bee »

Tigers in a close game

Good luck and good health to both teams

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I believe the Tigers have exceeded everyone’s expectations this year and are the underdog in this one. Waverly def. regrouped from all the injuries and had kids step in and up to fill those holes.
Not very often can you have two offensive lineman go down (and out for the year) and the offense keep right on going.
If the Tigers can get some stops on defense and spread the ball around in a hurry on offense, I like their chances.
I haven’t heard a lot about special teams in this one - a strength for the Tigers this season.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

I'm taking the Tigers with a well deserved victory. The Tigers have to control the Line of Scrimmage and get in the other teams head. The air attack will be a key factor for Waverly this week IMO. Waverly wins 35-24!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

It doesn’t look like it will be bitterly cold so now we just need to keep the rain away.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Indian Hill is the pick.

Have gun, will travel
oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Paladin wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:05 pm Indian Hill is the pick.
Nothing like getting on here every year and seeing Paladi*k picking against all of the southern Ohio schools. Why do you even get on here? Is it b/c you were all region back in 1942 and are above all of us mere mortals. What a joke you are!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

From afar, and watching IH on youtube, I see a shootout type game with Indian Hills who pull away late 44-27. Depth on the line(s) will be the difference for the Braves.

That said, I too am pleasantly surprised with Waverly's success this season. I saw 5 wins being their max.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

Wow, all these people only expecting Waverly to get 5 wins this season is just flooring me. The Sophomore and Freshman classes went undefeated while in jr. high, this current senior class has had the privilege of experiencing the playoffs the last two years and were hungry to get there again. I also believe that they are hungry for that playoff win. Will this game be tough, absolutely. Can Waverly win this, absolutely. I too believe it will be a shootout, but I also believe,(as they have the last few games) Waverly will rise to the occasion.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

OldTiger wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:46 pm Wow, all these people only expecting Waverly to get 5 wins this season is just flooring me. The Sophomore and Freshman classes went undefeated while in jr. high, this current senior class has had the privilege of experiencing the playoffs the last two years and were hungry to get there again. I also believe that they are hungry for that playoff win. Will this game be tough, absolutely. Can Waverly win this, absolutely. I too believe it will be a shootout, but I also believe,(as they have the last few games) Waverly will rise to the occasion.
Not sure how many people only expected 5 wins but a lot of people didn’t really know what to expect with all the talent the Tigers graduated from a 7-3 team. Add in to that Waverly would be starting an unproven sophomore QB so I don’t think many expected a 9-1 season. After seeing the Tigers in the two scrimmages folks started getting excited with what they saw and realized they had some potential. This Tiger team has become a special group and fighting through the injuries to finish the regular season 9-1 is impressive.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OldTiger wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:46 pm Wow, all these people only expecting Waverly to get 5 wins this season is just flooring me. The Sophomore and Freshman classes went undefeated while in jr. high, this current senior class has had the privilege of experiencing the playoffs the last two years and were hungry to get there again. I also believe that they are hungry for that playoff win. Will this game be tough, absolutely. Can Waverly win this, absolutely. I too believe it will be a shootout, but I also believe,(as they have the last few games) Waverly will rise to the occasion.
I think 5-5 was not a too unreasonable expectation for Waverly. Graduation, schedule and past history during the 2000s of a boom then bust cycle based on a having a stud qb was the basis of my expectations. Waverly was a program that had to rebuild instead one that could reload from year to year. Coach Crabtree's success apparently has been made on cultural change within the program rather than the happenstance of an all star player or two.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Omega wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 am
I think 5-5 was not a too unreasonable expectation for Waverly. Graduation, schedule and past history during the 2000s of a boom then bust cycle based on a having a stud qb was the basis of my expectations. Waverly was a program that had to rebuild instead one that could reload from year to year. Coach Crabtree's success apparently has been made on cultural change within the program rather than the happenstance of an all star player or two.
I do agree that a cultural change has been made, I think that is evident in the fact that school history was made by making the playoffs three consecutive seasons. I think Coach Crabtree and the rest of the staff have done an excellent job turning the program around and the kids seem to really be buying in and putting in a ton of extra time. Very exciting times for Waverly Football!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:43 am
I do agree that a cultural change has been made, I think that is evident in the fact that school history was made by making the playoffs three consecutive seasons. I think Coach Crabtree and the rest of the staff have done an excellent job turning the program around and the kids seem to really be buying in and putting in a ton of extra time. Very exciting times for Waverly Football!
Absolutely agree, headed in the right direction and working to get to the next level.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

fun fact: Crabtree has either been a player or a coach on each of Waverlys teams to have made a playoff appearance

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I think the key to this game will be how the Tigers O-Line is able to handle their D-Line. I would say this is easily the best D-Line they have faced all year. They have a DE in Jalen Thornton who has committed to WVU. His father is a former NFL DT, who played 10 seasons with 6 of those with the Bengals. He goes about 6'2 240lbs. I would say Waverly may try to run to the opposite side he is lined up on. And with Waverly liking to throw bubble screens and slants, it could help the line since those are quick passes where they won't be expected to hold the blocks long.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:40 pm I think the key to this game will be how the Tigers O-Line is able to handle their D-Line. I would say this is easily the best D-Line they have faced all year. They have a DE in Jalen Thornton who has committed to WVU. His father is a former NFL DT, who played 10 seasons with 6 of those with the Bengals. He goes about 6'2 240lbs. I would say Waverly may try to run to the opposite side he is lined up on. And with Waverly liking to throw bubble screens and slants, it could help the line since those are quick passes where they won't be expected to hold the blocks long.
That's awesome! I remember John Thornton from the Bengals very well. Obviously his son can play too if he's going to WVU. If I'm on the Tiger O-line, I'm licking my chops getting to play against such a talent. It sounds like it will be quite a challenge.

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:02 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:40 pm I think the key to this game will be how the Tigers O-Line is able to handle their D-Line. I would say this is easily the best D-Line they have faced all year. They have a DE in Jalen Thornton who has committed to WVU. His father is a former NFL DT, who played 10 seasons with 6 of those with the Bengals. He goes about 6'2 240lbs. I would say Waverly may try to run to the opposite side he is lined up on. And with Waverly liking to throw bubble screens and slants, it could help the line since those are quick passes where they won't be expected to hold the blocks long.
That's awesome! I remember John Thornton from the Bengals very well. Obviously his son can play too if he's going to WVU. If I'm on the Tiger O-line, I'm licking my chops getting to play against such a talent. It sounds like it will be quite a challenge.
Speaking of licking chops...I remember back in 89 when Waverly was playing CAPE that the Waverly D was licking its chops excited to play against Carlos Snow. We all know how that game turned out. Maybe this will be a good incentive to once again rise to the occasion.

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

smurray wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 pm
Not sure how many people only expected 5 wins but a lot of people didn’t really know what to expect with all the talent the Tigers graduated from a 7-3 team. Add in to that Waverly would be starting an unproven sophomore QB so I don’t think many expected a 9-1 season. After seeing the Tigers in the two scrimmages folks started getting excited with what they saw and realized they had some potential. This Tiger team has become a special group and fighting through the injuries to finish the regular season 9-1 is impressive.
Dre Murfy

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:43 am

And it seems each year they are increasing the number of players on the team. Success breeds success. The new field, stands and locker rooms didn't hurt either.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

OldTiger wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:18 pm
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:02 pm
Speaking of licking chops...I remember back in 89 when Waverly was playing CAPE that the Waverly D was licking its chops excited to play against Carlos Snow. We all know how that game turned out. Maybe this will be a good incentive to once again rise to the occasion.
Carlos Snow graduated from C.A.P.E. in 87' and along with Vinnie Clarke were both @ Ohio State in 89'. They won State in both 85' and 86' but Ironton did beat them at Ironton in the final game of the reg. season before they won State that year. :?

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

How did the team come out of the Logan game health wise? I know it was a very physical ballgame. I'm thinking the QB and the passing game, as well as the tigers special teams could be the difference in the game. Lets hope for an injury free game for both teams.

Return to “Football”