Where does Logan go from here?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Where does Logan go from here?

Post by Orange and Brown »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 am
Howard Cosell wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:25 am
Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 am Logan needs a league so they can play more teams they can compete against. I think they are overdue for a coaching change as well.

This is horse crap. Logan had a long and storied run in a league where they were a big fish in a small pond. That league folded and now they have been forced to play better competition during a time when the talent hasnt been as good. No offense to the current athletes its just the truth. Doesnt make them bad kids they just arent great players. Then to stoke the fire we have a moderator on here calling for the coaches head. It begs the question would we be behaving this way if the topic title involved Nelsonville. You sir need to submit your resignation to mattash.
Logan wasn't even the largest school in the SEOAL until the late-90s/early 2000s.
They just wanted to troll me..... :lol:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:14 am

This is horse crap. Logan had a long and storied run in a league where they were a big fish in a small pond. That league folded and now they have been forced to play better competition during a time when the talent hasnt been as good. No offense to the current athletes its just the truth. Doesnt make them bad kids they just arent great players. Then to stoke the fire we have a moderator on here calling for the coaches head. It begs the question would we be behaving this way if the topic title involved Nelsonville. You sir need to submit your resignation to mattash.
Logan wasn't even the largest school in the SEOAL until the late-90s/early 2000s.

I will troll you!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 am Logan needs a league so they can play more teams they can compete against. I think they are overdue for a coaching change as well.

When Logan joined the SEOAL they were not a big fish in a small pond. Many of the schools were in communities that lost jobs and people moved out. Logan became bigger because of this plus shutting down small school to make just one in the county brought in more students. Closing the smaller schools didn't really help the numbers in sports that much. As far as underclasses they came smaller. Our under class numbers are not as high as when I was in school. Our 7th grade had anywhere from 60 to 70 boys out.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Since our football program will start or have already started to lose money and then pay to play will be implemented, Then will we get a new winning coach! :mrgreen:

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

As usual, a Logan thread has attracted some of the horsesarses on here. Logan, as a small school , was one of the founding members of the SEOAL. For decades they remained one of the smaller schools. Then a series of small Hocking county schools were consolidated into Logan, most of whom only played basketball. Still, the distance from home and lack of a ride home prevented many athletes from playing at Logan. Fast forward to today as many schools have shrank in size, Logan has maintained it size, but has fallen from a D-I to D-II. No one wants to hear that they still don’t get many athletes out because of no ride home after practice, playing at a D-II level while in reality being an effective D-III team lacking those athletes.

Now, add in an unpopular and ineffective coach. Why was he hired ? Well, he was a star at Lancaster, which in my mind doesn’t mean squat. He played college ball at Akron. Again, that doesn’t mean squat. He was an assistant on successful Davidson teams. Ok.K. However at Medina Buckeye , he was controversial and without meaningful success while also quitting as HC less than 2 weeks before the season started while remaining as a teacher. Then, somehow, Logan thinks this is their guy. Someone didn’t look very far. BTW, since he left Buckeye, a school who also has a pay to play policy, they have returned to powerhouse status, playing in the playoffs, including this year. Some of the problems at Logan go straight to the coach - lacks respect of the players, is disliked by some, fails to attract athletes who otherwise would be playing, fails at in game adjustments and makes questionable decisions to on who to play, where and when. In short, Logan, a school with lots of athletes, fails when it should be far more competitive. Not great, although those seasons will happen, but competitive. Schedule is not overwhelming and .500 is often possible, even though bigger schools of Logan’s size are played. Lack of a league leads to playing, often on a short term basis, schools with little to no history with Logan, but should be competitive, win or lose. Sometimes, you do play a powerhouse and lose, but that helps you get better rather than playing weenies.

It’s not reasonable to fire the entire staff, as most are teachers. Having teaching slots open to fill with other coaches becomes difficult if not impossible to do. Non teachers are not often what you want since daily interactions in classrooms are preferable. And most staffs are merely a reflection of the HC desire of what he wants run as an O or D, no matter if it was Dale or the current coach. They are merely marching to orders of the HC. Lack of a league will cause the schedule to attract some really difficult teams, ie, Garfield Hts, parochials DeSales or Watterson, Central Ohio D-I or II OCC teams while also playing similar sized teams like Chili, Zanesville, Sheridan, Athens, Jackson, TV, etc.

This is the first year I haven’t been down for a scrimmage, a game or the playoffs for a while so I’m reacting to what I hear and not what I’ve seen. My scouts tell me lots of athletes have stopped coming out for FB, there are serious locker room problems and the utilization of the athletes out are highly questioned. Usually when the kids use their feet to vote and avoid the program or cop a lack of desire in playing it’s a sure sign that the program needs a change at the top. To continue is to a invite sustained failure making a comeback extremely difficult to do. Time for reflection and some soul searching. New beginning needed.

Have gun, will travel
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

moonshine wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:28 am
Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:14 am

I will troll you!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
:lol:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

loganlocos wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 am Logan wasn't even the largest school in the SEOAL until the late-90s/early 2000s.
Logan had 1800 students in 1989. Athens had 900. Even the next biggest school was 1200 Marietta. You aren’t even close

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:30 am

When Logan joined the SEOAL they were not a big fish in a small pond. Many of the schools were in communities that lost jobs and people moved out. Logan became bigger because of this plus shutting down small school to make just one in the county brought in more students. Closing the smaller schools didn't really help the numbers in sports that much. As far as underclasses they came smaller. Our under class numbers are not as high as when I was in school. Our 7th grade had anywhere from 60 to 70 boys out.
Exactly. The first 50 years of the SEOAL football produced champions from many of the league schools. Heck, Middleport itself had 9 championships in the 38 years it was in the league by itself along with a State baseball title in 1957 and a State runner-up in 1950. Jackson, Gallipolis , Athens and Logan had different decades where they'd win 2 or 3 titles in that timeframe and some of these schools were ranked in the Top 10 in the State back when they had paper titles, no divisions and before playoffs were ever thought of in football. We all know what Ironton did for the decade plus they were in the league from the 70's to early 80's. Wellston had many good years in the first few decades. Nelsonville was the only long time member to not win a conference football championship but they had a State baseball title in 1967 and were State runners-up in basketball in 1952. In the later years 80's-00's with less members it alternated again with Jackson, Logan and Gallipolis at various times winning numerous football titles. It's not Logan's fault that they just happened to be in the county that consolidated all the county schools years ago and they now have the biggest enrollment. I'm still of the opinion that If Athens hadn't jumped ship there would still be a SEOAL conference today. Good day !!!!!

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
BillC
Riding the Bench

Post by BillC »

Dundas wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:02 am I’ve said many times, if I were Logan, I’d be calling Warren, Marietta, Jackson, Athens, and Point Pleasant and try to get the Seoal back together in some shape or form. Maybe a long shot, but what do they have to lose?
Excellent idea! I’ve said the same thing for a long time now. You know some would like the idea. Others would not. You know Gallipolis and Athens would never join because of having to actually play someone. There is a reason they went to their current conferences.....easy path to playoffs.
Of the schools that have been mentioned here, It would be totally dominated by Jackson and Pt Pleasant.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

I find myself in what is to me an unfamiliar situation. In less than a week I am in agreement with Paladin not just once, but twice now that he's agree that Logan needs to start scheduling smaller SEO schools in order to rebuild what was once powerful and proud program. I also question how yet another one of those "proven winner" coaches has failed to prove he's a winner. That seems to be more and more prevalent at area schools these days. I think since the SEOAL is clearly dead Logan should once again petition to join the TVC. I'm sure if they do they will once again get a "YES" vote from NY.

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:47 pm
loganlocos wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 am Logan wasn't even the largest school in the SEOAL until the late-90s/early 2000s.
Logan had 1800 students in 1989. Athens had 900. Even the next biggest school was 1200 Marietta. You aren’t even close

Raider, I'm not sure where you went to get your numbers but here is were I got mine.

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Data/F ... lment-Data

In 1989
Logan had 1176 students 9 through 12. THATS A 1 COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL.
Jackson had 871 students 9 through 12. All 3 high schools in Jackson county 1935 students 9 through 12.
Marietta had 1269 students 9 through 12. All 6 high schools in Washington county 3689 students 9 through 12.
Warren had 891 students 9 through 12. All 6 high schools in Washington county 3689 students 9 through 12.
Gallia had 867 students 9 through 12. Both high schools in Gallia county 1738 students 9 through 12.
Athens had 922 students 9 through 12. THATS 1 high school in a county of 5 High schools. In all of Athens county there was 2725 students
9 through 12.

Do you see where I'm going with this?? So Try again.

AT THE RESERVATION
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:47 pm

LOL. Not sure where you get your numbers. To be fair - maybe I should have clarified "largest school by division" - but still they weren't the largest by OHSAA enrollment until the mid-90s.

In 1989 - SEOAL by Division/Region:

Athens - DII, Region 7
Gallipolis - DII, Region 8
Jackson - DII, Region 8
Logan - DII, Region 7
Marietta - DII, Region 7
Warren - DII, Region 7

In 1990, Division II, Region 7 included Athens, Jackson, Gallipolis, Logan, Vinton County, Warren, and Meigs.

In 1990, 1994 and 1995 Marietta was Division I in football while Logan was Division II.

Logan and Marietta were both DI in 1996.

It wasn't until 1997-98 that Logan was a bigger division for back to back seasons.

As late as 2009 Athens, Marietta, Warren, and Zanesville were ALL in Logan's region. (This is post-SEOAL for Athens/Zanesville obviously)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... U2ZWVlY2Ux

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Washington County is like Scioto County. Schools there basically lost half their enrollment. Marietta used to be a huge school

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:57 pm Washington County is like Scioto County. Schools there basically lost half their enrollment. Marietta used to be a huge school
Exactly.

Marietta was the biggest school in the SEOAL until the 1996-97 school year according to the Ohio Department of Education numbers.

Which is exactly what I said.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Why not join the MVL big division

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Because , you thick headed idiot, they didn’t want to add Logan. Were you always this stupid in Poland ?

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

BTW, subtract out the small school districts that consolidated with Logan in late 50s, early 60s - Union Furnance, Rockbridge, Enterprise, South Bloomingville, etc - and you end up with a small Logan school in the SEOAL since 1925. Still, titles won and dominance over bigger schools.

Have gun, will travel
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Paladin wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:30 pm Because , you thick headed idiot, they didn’t want to add Logan. Were you always this stupid in Poland ?
Hey I’m not the person that bought property in Warren. That was a bad investment :lol:

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

I am not a fan of “getting the band back together” (ex. Athens, Warren, etc.). My vote, if I ever had one, would be for a league that includes schools like Canal Winchester, Groveport, Hamilton Township, etc. Logan should then schedule non-league games with the likes of Athens, Jackson, Chillicothe, and a few other familiar old foes. That would kind of be the opposite of what Logan used to do which was scheduling the Lancasters, Desales, etc for non-conference and then get into the “smaller school” league schedule. I believe if we “got the band back together” that we would be in the same situation in 10-15 years.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Just thought I’d chime in for one comment made previously about firing the whole staff.

So let’s say they fire everyone. I’d say 98% of the staff is in fact a teacher. So they bring in a new coach and he will obviously need a staff. So what are the expectations then? Do they fire teachers so they can make room for a new coaching staff who obviously will need to be teachers? Most coaches in this day and age do in fact have some sort of teaching job and I’m sure Logan is not going to fire 10 or 12 coaches they were teachers to make room for an entirely new staff who would also need to be employed as a teacher. Regardless if they fire the head coach or not the same guys who are on the current staff a majority of them would probably be right back on a new staff for the simple fact that it’s not just that easy to fire assistant coaches who are teachers.

Live Like A Champion!

Return to “Football”