Fort Frye picks up Nelsonville-York for 2019

carbon_dated
All State

Re: Fort Frye picks up Nelsonville-York for 2019

Post by carbon_dated »

I'd like to see Fort Frye pick up Bellaire. I'm sure the Big Reds have 3 openings already for '19.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Jakefromstatefarm wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:08 pm Id think if Fort Frye went to the TVC it would have to be in the Hocking. I mean year in and year out I just don’t see them competeting against the likes of Athens or NY if they went to the Ohio. At least not in football. Not trying to knock on the Fort cause they’ve owned the PVC for several years now, but these are also probably some of the best teams to come through for quite a while. And maybe it’s just me but I’d like to see the PVC stick around. There are rumors of Trail wanting back in after the deal with the IVC is up, and honestly Barnesville needs to join since they already play like 80% of the league most years anyway. And I’m not sure what’s up with Central. But I’d you get them to stick around you have Fort Frye, MC, Trail, Barnesville, Caldwell and Shenandoah. That’s a solid league for all schools of relatively the same size.

You know I want the PVC to stay alive but sadly it’s dead. The teams invited don’t seem interested. Fort Frye needs to find a league that secures them scheduling. They can’t stay OVAC only because schools don’t want to play them in Football , and in girls and boys basketball.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

If they come in it would have to be in the Ohio.
The three divisions has been proposed and shot down over and over and I haven't seen or heard anyone that matters pushing it.
If they apply to the Hocking who other than Trimble and Belpre who would vote yes?
Trimble could compete with them in Football and Basketball.
Belpre is close and plays them in football.
Does Belpre play Fort's boys and girls basketball teams?
Waterford was in a league with Fort and left them and their are several banners hanging in their gym that wouldn't be if Fort had been in the TVC.
Federal voted this year in football.
Why would South Gallia want that trip in the Winter and Spring?
I can't see why any of the other teams would vote yes.
It will have to be the Ohio or bust.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:16 am If you read newspaper articles from the Athens Messenger in 1967-1968, they stated that Fort Frye was going to join the TVC at that time. When NY joined, it said Fort Frye was going to be the next to join. I don't know what happened that they decided not to join? Fort Frye played all TVC schools in baseball one season, as if they were a TVC school, but it was just that one sport for one season. Additionally, Fort Frye played NY for four years straight in football back then, so I wonder if Fort Frye also played other TVC schools in football during those years?

I guess the TVC would have been more geographically friendly to Fort Frye back then too, as Warren, Belpre and Federal Hocking were all members, along with Vinton County and NY.
I don't know all the details, but Fort Frye did play a TVC schedule for a couple years (69-70 seasons).

1966: 8-2 overall; lost to Belpre and beat Warren. Also played Caldwell, Beallsville, Meadowbrook, and Woodsfield - I'm not positive this was an official league at the time (I don't think Frontier had consolidated yet). I've read that Glouster was in with this group (which may or may not have included Meadowbrook at the time). The other loss was to Caldwell.

1967: 2-8 overall; lost to Belpre, Warren, and Nelsonville-York. No longer played Glouster. Only wins were Caldwell and Meadowbrook (and also played the other would-be PVL/PVC schools).

1968: 4-6 overall lost to Belpre and Warren, beat Nelsonville-York. Went 2-3 against would-be PVL/PVC schools. This may have been the year Frontier was consolidated.

1969: 7-3 overall; 4-1 against TVC schools. They played Belpre in Week 3 and finished the season against Warren, Federal Hocking, Vinton County, and Nelsonville-York. The loss was to Warren. Beallsville and Woodsfield were no longer on the schedule.

1970: 9-1 overall; 5-0 against TVC schools. They beat Belpre in Week 1 and finished the season in the same order as 1969. Beallsville was back on the schedule, but no Woodsfield and there is nothing in the yearbook about a league championship of any kind (the only loss was to Newark).

1971: 8-2 overall, PVL Champions. Losses were to Belpre and Beallsville. They still played Warren and Federal Hocking, but not Nelsonville-York.All the teams that would later be called the PVC were on the schedule - Caldwell, Beallsville, Frontier, Meadowbrook, Shenandoah, and Woodsfield (Waterford did not have a football team yet).

Jakefromstatefarm
Varsity

Post by Jakefromstatefarm »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm
Jakefromstatefarm wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:08 pm Id think if Fort Frye went to the TVC it would have to be in the Hocking. I mean year in and year out I just don’t see them competeting against the likes of Athens or NY if they went to the Ohio. At least not in football. Not trying to knock on the Fort cause they’ve owned the PVC for several years now, but these are also probably some of the best teams to come through for quite a while. And maybe it’s just me but I’d like to see the PVC stick around. There are rumors of Trail wanting back in after the deal with the IVC is up, and honestly Barnesville needs to join since they already play like 80% of the league most years anyway. And I’m not sure what’s up with Central. But I’d you get them to stick around you have Fort Frye, MC, Trail, Barnesville, Caldwell and Shenandoah. That’s a solid league for all schools of relatively the same size.

You know I want the PVC to stay alive but sadly it’s dead. The teams invited don’t seem interested. Fort Frye needs to find a league that secures them scheduling. They can’t stay OVAC only because schools don’t want to play them in Football , and in girls and boys basketball.

I guess I just don’t understand why all these teams want to switch leagues all of a sudden. Travel? It’s southeast Ohio, you’re gonna have to travel regardless of who you schedule. I mean Caldwell has 3 teams within a half hour that they don’t play because of size difference. When you’re a small school stuff like is bound to happen. Competition? It’s high school, for the most part stuff comes and goes in waves. You have to take the ups with the downs, can’t just bolt at the first sign of adversity. Maybe this is just me but I think a couple administrations need to take a step back and look at the big picture.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm You know I want the PVC to stay alive but sadly it’s dead. The teams invited don’t seem interested. Fort Frye needs to find a league that secures them scheduling. They can’t stay OVAC only because schools don’t want to play them in Football , and in girls and boys basketball.
I'm just curious about who Fort Frye tries to play that doesn't want to play them. I mean, they've primarily played schools that are smaller than them for a long time. Example, in the last 10 years, they've played 52 games against a smaller division (VII and VI before there was an extra division) and 41 games against their own division (VI/V). The 7 games that they played against bigger schools were these:

Northridge - 4 games (Northridge was 5-25 in the three years before they appeared on Fort Frye's schedule)
Warren - 1 game (Warren was 3-27 in the three years before they appeared on Fort Frye's schedule)
River Valley - 2 games (RV was 5-25 in the three years before they appeared on Fort Frye's schedule)

I know Northridge has turned out to be a decent opponent and Steubenville Central Catholic is okay, but even they were only 16-13 and moved up from the lowest division to the same division as FF in the three years before FF played them.

Fort Frye has a great program and maybe the best coach in the area, but they haven't seemed to need to or be interested in a real upgrade of their schedule. This might force their hand on that issue a little bit? Heck, they'd be way ahead of the curve that Warren and Marietta went into the ECOL on - they could get a few local games and establish themselves as the "Nelsonville-York" of that league (the smallest school who regularly competes with bigger schools)? While talent is cyclical, a great high school coach can sustain a program almost forever; think Circosta at MC, (coach) Caldwell previously at Beallsville, Devol pretty much wherever he goes, Trimble, N-Y, etc. All of those schools/coaches may have experienced a down year here and there, but you know they'll always bounce back quickly. FF's coach is what, maybe 40? There is no reason to think that Fort Frye won't be top-shelf for the next 20+ years. Maybe they've just outgrown the PVC and small-school football?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

enigmaax wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:32 pm
NYBuckeye96 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:16 am If you read newspaper articles from the Athens Messenger in 1967-1968, they stated that Fort Frye was going to join the TVC at that time. When NY joined, it said Fort Frye was going to be the next to join. I don't know what happened that they decided not to join? Fort Frye played all TVC schools in baseball one season, as if they were a TVC school, but it was just that one sport for one season. Additionally, Fort Frye played NY for four years straight in football back then, so I wonder if Fort Frye also played other TVC schools in football during those years?

I guess the TVC would have been more geographically friendly to Fort Frye back then too, as Warren, Belpre and Federal Hocking were all members, along with Vinton County and NY.
I don't know all the details, but Fort Frye did play a TVC schedule for a couple years (69-70 seasons).

1966: 8-2 overall; lost to Belpre and beat Warren. Also played Caldwell, Beallsville, Meadowbrook, and Woodsfield - I'm not positive this was an official league at the time (I don't think Frontier had consolidated yet). I've read that Glouster was in with this group (which may or may not have included Meadowbrook at the time). The other loss was to Caldwell.

1967: 2-8 overall; lost to Belpre, Warren, and Nelsonville-York. No longer played Glouster. Only wins were Caldwell and Meadowbrook (and also played the other would-be PVL/PVC schools).

1968: 4-6 overall lost to Belpre and Warren, beat Nelsonville-York. Went 2-3 against would-be PVL/PVC schools. This may have been the year Frontier was consolidated.

1969: 7-3 overall; 4-1 against TVC schools. They played Belpre in Week 3 and finished the season against Warren, Federal Hocking, Vinton County, and Nelsonville-York. The loss was to Warren. Beallsville and Woodsfield were no longer on the schedule.

1970: 9-1 overall; 5-0 against TVC schools. They beat Belpre in Week 1 and finished the season in the same order as 1969. Beallsville was back on the schedule, but no Woodsfield and there is nothing in the yearbook about a league championship of any kind (the only loss was to Newark).

1971: 8-2 overall, PVL Champions. Losses were to Belpre and Beallsville. They still played Warren and Federal Hocking, but not Nelsonville-York.All the teams that would later be called the PVC were on the schedule - Caldwell, Beallsville, Frontier, Meadowbrook, Shenandoah, and Woodsfield (Waterford did not have a football team yet).

Interesting. So they did play a full TVC schedule in football a couple years. Do any of the old timers at Fort Frye reading this know more to the story?

The way the articles read that I seen, they were already voted into the TVC, but something must have happened that they changed their mind in joining. I'm wondering if they played TVC schools in whatever other sports were played back then? I know they did baseball and now know they did football. Did they play the TVC in basketball too?

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

enigmaax wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:17 pm
EasternDspy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm You know I want the PVC to stay alive but sadly it’s dead. The teams invited don’t seem interested. Fort Frye needs to find a league that secures them scheduling. They can’t stay OVAC only because schools don’t want to play them in Football , and in girls and boys basketball.
I'm just curious about who Fort Frye tries to play that doesn't want to play them. I mean, they've primarily played schools that are smaller than them for a long time. Example, in the last 10 years, they've played 52 games against a smaller division (VII and VI before there was an extra division) and 41 games against their own division (VI/V). The 7 games that they played against bigger schools were these:

Northridge - 4 games (Northridge was 5-25 in the three years before they appeared on Fort Frye's schedule)
Warren - 1 game (Warren was 3-27 in the three years before they appeared on Fort Frye's schedule)
River Valley - 2 games (RV was 5-25 in the three years before they appeared on Fort Frye's schedule)

I know Northridge has turned out to be a decent opponent and Steubenville Central Catholic is okay, but even they were only 16-13 and moved up from the lowest division to the same division as FF in the three years before FF played them.

Fort Frye has a great program and maybe the best coach in the area, but they haven't seemed to need to or be interested in a real upgrade of their schedule. This might force their hand on that issue a little bit? Heck, they'd be way ahead of the curve that Warren and Marietta went into the ECOL on - they could get a few local games and establish themselves as the "Nelsonville-York" of that league (the smallest school who regularly competes with bigger schools)? While talent is cyclical, a great high school coach can sustain a program almost forever; think Circosta at MC, (coach) Caldwell previously at Beallsville, Devol pretty much wherever he goes, Trimble, N-Y, etc. All of those schools/coaches may have experienced a down year here and there, but you know they'll always bounce back quickly. FF's coach is what, maybe 40? There is no reason to think that Fort Frye won't be top-shelf for the next 20+ years. Maybe they've just outgrown the PVC and small-school football?
Good post.
Read on another site that ridgewood contacted Fort Frye about playing and were turned down.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

enigmaax wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:17 pm

I think Fort Frye could be playing Marietta in 2019.

Ok last time Fort Frye added teams to the schedule I thought they did well.

Added
Barnesville
Steubenville CC

Barnesville was coming off playoffs.

Non League teams

Waterford playoffs 2018
Belpre Playoffs 2015
Northridge D5
Barnesville playoffs 16
Steubenville CC playoffs 18
Federal Hocking last min add after Warren dropped Fort.

That’s not to bad that schedule got them the most harbin points in school history.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

EasternDspy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:25 pm Ok last time Fort Frye added teams to the schedule I thought they did well.

Added
Barnesville
Steubenville CC

Barnesville was coming off playoffs.

Non League teams

Waterford playoffs 2018
Belpre Playoffs 2015
Northridge D5
Barnesville playoffs 16
Steubenville CC playoffs 18
Federal Hocking last min add after Warren dropped Fort.

That’s not to bad that schedule got them the most harbin points in school history.
Barnesville was solid, for sure. I've already pointed out that Northridge was terrible, but they happened to get better; it worked out. SCC was slightly above average, but a good pick up. Nobody holds Fed Hock against FF.

Waterford has been on FF's schedule since 1978 or so. That is a money game and FF is fortunate from a points standpoint that Waterford has had about half of its winning seasons in school history in the last three years. That game is neither a positive or negative because it is going to be played regardless, for good reason.

Belpre was always on FF's schedule. Belpre beat Fort Frye 8 times in a row up to 2008. Then Belpre was off FF's schedule for two years. Belpre went 1-19 in those two years and were back on the FF schedule in 2011. You don't get to claim that as adding a quality opponent. It is a local team, probably a decent money game and nothing wrong with that. But that was never about adding a quality opponent because Belpre was in terrible shape when they picked that back up.

You also left these off the your list: Conotton Valley - bad, small; Van WV - bad, small; Wirt County WV - bad, small; Newcomerstown - okay, same division; Rosecrans - small and a mixed bag as they had a good couple of years sandwiched between being bad, but they were 0-10 the season before they played FF.

My intention isn't to knock Fort Frye here; they might have scheduled down a bit when they were trying to build the program back up. No issue there. All I'm saying is that they are far superior to the small-school competition they've maintained over the last few years and ready for a step up. You say that no one will play them, but by "no one" do you really mean that bad/mediocre DVII schools won't play them? And why should they any more? For the same, "(small, terrible) Frontier is afraid of us" that you give, some could draw the conclusion that FF is afraid to play any *good* *bigger* schools.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:35 pm Interesting. So they did play a full TVC schedule in football a couple years. Do any of the old timers at Fort Frye reading this know more to the story?

The way the articles read that I seen, they were already voted into the TVC, but something must have happened that they changed their mind in joining. I'm wondering if they played TVC schools in whatever other sports were played back then? I know they did baseball and now know they did football. Did they play the TVC in basketball too?
They only played Belpre and Warren from the TVC in basketball during the years that I posted above. I haven't found the right person to give me the info on the TVC issue, but I'm going to try and track down a couple people who may know.

My cousin (who I think graduated in 75) said they played in the PVL in football and MOVL in basketball and those two leagues essentially merged into the PVC at some point in the mid/late-70s. Looking at the basketball schedules for the years that I have, Caldwell & Shenandoah accounted for two games each, as did Waterford & Skyvue (neither of whom played football at the time) and Frontier (after the consolidation). They played Meadowbrook once per season, Beallsville one time in all those years, and did not play Woodsfield at all.

outerbanksjake
JV Team

Post by outerbanksjake »

My understanding from a coach.. Bellaire has two open dates for 19. Week 2 ( Shenandoah) week 5 ( Buckeye Local) . Bellaire did contact N Y , but they declined to schedule. One of the two open dates was filled by Cambridge , , still one open date.

Wildcatter
Waterboy

Post by Wildcatter »

Heard through the grapevine Fort Frye is in talks with Trimble.

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

PVC is dead. What was left of it, Shenandoah’s AD finished it off with how he acted.

It’s every team for themselves to find a landing spot.

CheeseBurger
Riding the Bench

Post by CheeseBurger »

I’m still upset I cant buy an American made rocky boot. Shame on corporate greed! I do love the bypass it was much needed.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

PVCGuru wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:07 am PVC is dead. What was left of it, Shenandoah’s AD finished it off with how he acted.

It’s every team for themselves to find a landing spot.
New teams aren’t interested in the current PVC. Caldwell and Shenandoah would be better off trying to make a league else where.

I agree PVC is dead.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Wildcatter wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 pm Heard through the grapevine Fort Frye is in talks with Trimble.
It would have to be week 5 but I like the idea.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

EasternDspy wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:43 am
Wildcatter wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 pm Heard through the grapevine Fort Frye is in talks with Trimble.
Week 5 is a non conference week for Trimble. They played Cincy Hills Christian Academy this year. Not sure if they play again next season or not.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Dundas wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:12 am
Week 5 is a non conference week for Trimble. They played Cincy Hills Christian Academy this year. Not sure if they play again next season or not.
It rotates this year. I'm not sure what week they are going to but it will be a different week next year

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 am
Dundas wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:12 am

It rotates this year. I'm not sure what week they are going to but it will be a different week next year
Trimble only gets 2 non league games so if they are playing Fort they have to drop the Cincy Hills b

Return to “Football”