Madison 26 Portsmouth 0 Round 1 Region 20 2018

packers80
SE

Re: Region 20 #7 Portsmouth @ #2 Madison

Post by packers80 »

Good season Portsmouth, keep building and working.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Yikes
Riding the Bench

Post by Yikes »

14U wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:49 am
S281 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 am
Beergogglebluez wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:44 pm Good season for the Trojans. Madison was strong and mowed our lines over. I don’t know the stats but did Portsmouth have positive yards? We couldn’t run, couldn’t pass. And kept running when down. I don’t get that but nothing worked. Our defense didn’t give up a big play. They just got 5,6,7 yards every run. We made it and had a great year.
Portsmouth ended up with 4 total yards of offense. Parker had 17 carries for 38 yards.
Portsmouth had the record back in 2000 against Purcell Marion holding them to 7 yards State record. Help me out Trojan fan if this is right. I hope those yards last night isn’t true but how it sounded on radio it wasn’t good. If it’s all true Portsmouth 2000 held the record and Madison broke it against the Trojans! Anyways these boys played hard all year to have the chance to go to the playoffs after 11 years. I don’t think Portsmouth has played on grass all year and by radio slipping a lot, should have found grass to practice on this past week!
The Trojans played River Valley on grass in the middle of a rainstorm. That was week 3 and River Valley was bad. The combined forces of a muddy field and a good madison defense was a death sentence. Had the offense been able to get the ball moving somehow, the outcome would have been way different. The trojan defense held Madison to 6 points in the second half.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Yikes wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:56 pm
14U wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:49 am
S281 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 am

Portsmouth ended up with 4 total yards of offense. Parker had 17 carries for 38 yards.
Portsmouth had the record back in 2000 against Purcell Marion holding them to 7 yards State record. Help me out Trojan fan if this is right. I hope those yards last night isn’t true but how it sounded on radio it wasn’t good. If it’s all true Portsmouth 2000 held the record and Madison broke it against the Trojans! Anyways these boys played hard all year to have the chance to go to the playoffs after 11 years. I don’t think Portsmouth has played on grass all year and by radio slipping a lot, should have found grass to practice on this past week!
The Trojans played River Valley on grass in the middle of a rainstorm. That was week 3 and River Valley was bad. The combined forces of a muddy field and a good madison defense was a death sentence. Had the offense been able to get the ball moving somehow, the outcome would have been way different. The trojan defense held Madison to 6 points in the second half.
Yes I seen that! 6 points I do believe ptown held them to a season low on points. But that D they have, I told people I watched them couple times and their D is strong, fast and hits hard with experience. Same team had burg 10-0 going into 4th last year. So if you look at that Portsmouth played good D on them after half and nothing to be down about. This team was 10-0, and was picked to meet Burg in semis again until they put burg in region 20 from 19.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Madison was very strong. Just a better team. Honestly on a dry field, turf field or grass they win 10 times out of 10. I love Portsmouth and proud of them. Reality is they were a better team and a legit state contender. Until we learn to balance a run and pass we will have trouble against those schools. Now it’s the real work. Getting a qb groomed and replacing a offensive and defensive line. I would talk to those kids and say if you want it we start to work now with weights, conditioning. Get the kids involved in powerlifting or swim. Something to get them in shape. The jv program needed a lot of work and that’s next years crop of kids. You can’t run 25-35 times a game. When you run into teams that have a good defense we will continue to throw up a loss. I’ll save the complaining for later lol. The kids enjoy a few days to enjoy the season.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
mattash
Site Admin

Re: Madison 26 Portsmouth 0 Round 1 Region 20 2018

Post by mattash »

Madison 26 Portsmouth 0

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Just wondering, how many times did Madison throw the ball in the game? Have they added passing to their offense?

Beergogglebluez
SE

Otto wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm Just wondering, how many times did Madison throw the ball in the game? Have they added passing to their offense?
I believe 5. Which was 25% of there yearly total in one night lol.

S281
Waterboy

Post by S281 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:14 pm
Otto wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm Just wondering, how many times did Madison throw the ball in the game? Have they added passing to their offense?
28 for 43 514 yards 10 TDS 3 Ints for the regular season.
2-5 for 11 yards last night.

Beergogglebluez
SE

S281 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:49 pm
28 completed passes. Gotcha. Those numbers are way better than I expected. In warm ups he had a very nice arm. Thanks for the numbers

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I wanted Portsmouth to win, and they have nothing to be ashamed of with how they played. I know how everyone raves about how good of defense that Madison plays, and the results prove that out. Mayby PHS has improved a lot on defense throughout the year, and I'm sure they probably have. I wasn't there so mayby the field conditions hampered both teams throughout the game. At times this year PHS's defense has not played near as well as there offense has. I'm not trying to discredit PHS at all, but I'm wondering if Madison's offense is up to par with it's defense? To me it seems as if they only threw the ball that few a times through 11 games, teams that play good defense also, will stack the box and dare them to throw. From here on out I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Beergogglebluez
SE

They were just better that ls the reality. There defense was by far some of the best Portsmouth will ever see. They ran it down our throat and look at season stats we have not shut the run down. We improved a lot but wasn’t on par with Madison. People say the field was bad. They slipped too so conditions getting better would only help them as well. It was a fun year. Back to the drawing board and get the 2019 Trojans ready. There’s a lot of gaps that need filled. One being the most important piece. That’s a quarterback. They got playoff experience and that’s awesome. We should run thru the ovc next year. Fairland and Ironton I see being a tough match.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:02 am They were just better that ls the reality. There defense was by far some of the best Portsmouth will ever see. They ran it down our throat and look at season stats we have not shut the run down. We improved a lot but wasn’t on par with Madison. People say the field was bad. They slipped too so conditions getting better would only help them as well. It was a fun year. Back to the drawing board and get the 2019 Trojans ready. There’s a lot of gaps that need filled. One being the most important piece. That’s a quarterback. They got playoff experience and that’s awesome. We should run thru the ovc next year. Fairland and Ironton I see being a tough match.
Very good fair post! Like I said before, I did want PHS to win. After looking at there stats when throwing the ball, 10 touchdowns in only around 30 attempts is pretty good.

S281
Waterboy

Post by S281 »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:24 pm

28 completed passes. Gotcha. Those numbers are way better than I expected. In warm ups he had a very nice arm. Thanks for the numbers
Madison really only throws to keep a defense honest. That’s why 1 out of 3 completions are for TDs. Stack the box, they try to get a big chunk play or TD. I promise you will not see a shotgun formation. Lol.

Beergogglebluez
SE

S281 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:04 pm
Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Madison really only throws to keep a defense honest. That’s why 1 out of 3 completions are for TDs. Stack the box, they try to get a big chunk play or TD. I promise you will not see a shotgun formation. Lol.
There offensive formation was really strange. The running backs almost looked like the were sideways facing the quarterback.

S281
Waterboy

Post by S281 »

They are. It’s meant to cause confusion and misdirection. Same motions resulting in different runs. Qb can choose side or rb based on defense. Almost every play starts from the same formation. Basically just a wing t. Even the pass plays will start the same.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

S281 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm They are. It’s meant to cause confusion and misdirection. Same motions resulting in different runs. Qb can choose side or rb based on defense. Almost every play starts from the same formation. Basically just a wing t. Even the pass plays will start the same.
It’s the wing t/veer. Nothing fancy. Just ball control and clock management.

S281
Waterboy

Post by S281 »

wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:38 pm
S281 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm They are. It’s meant to cause confusion and misdirection. Same motions resulting in different runs. Qb can choose side or rb based on defense. Almost every play starts from the same formation. Basically just a wing t. Even the pass plays will start the same.
It’s the wing t/veer. Nothing fancy. Just ball control and clock management.
Exactly. Well said.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

A big thank you to the Trojans and the coaching staff for a very good and fun season. Playing in week 11 for the first times in 11 years was a real treat. Madison was the better team, no doubt, but our boys in Red and Blue competed, especially on defense. Considering the level of competition, that might have been Portsmouth's best defensive effort of the year. On every TD drive they made the Mohawks work for it. Very few big plays were given up by the Trojan D. Madison stuffed our running game, which was the bread and butter of the Trojan offense this season. Talyn Parker had a fantastic season, and considering he's only a junior, he puts himself in a position which is hard to surpass his 2018 season. I'm quite sure that Talyn will be up to the challenge of being a senior leader on the 2019 Trojans.

Going forward, I agree with beergogglebluez in that the 2019 Trojans must develop a QB to make the Trojan offense a two headed monster of run and pass. If this can happen, it will take a lot of burden off Tayln, and also at the same time some wideouts might emerge to be true playmakers. A balanced offense is always the most difficult offense to defend. In the Trojans losses this season, the one dimensional run heavy offense simply couldn't get going, and Portsmouth didn't have the answer through the air to counter opposing defenses.

In closing this 2018 season, I'm very proud of all our Trojans and the coaches who brought our football program from the depths of despair to respectability once again. Now the question that lies ahead is......can the football program develop a consistent winning product? Time will tell, but the 2018 Trojans were certainly a good starting point.

GO TROJANS!!!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

trojandave wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:38 pm A big thank you to the Trojans and the coaching staff for a very good and fun season. Playing in week 11 for the first times in 11 years was a real treat. Madison was the better team, no doubt, but our boys in Red and Blue competed, especially on defense. Considering the level of competition, that might have been Portsmouth's best defensive effort of the year. On every TD drive they made the Mohawks work for it. Very few big plays were given up by the Trojan D. Madison stuffed our running game, which was the bread and butter of the Trojan offense this season. Talyn Parker had a fantastic season, and considering he's only a junior, he puts himself in a position which is hard to surpass his 2018 season. I'm quite sure that Talyn will be up to the challenge of being a senior leader on the 2019 Trojans.

Going forward, I agree with beergogglebluez in that the 2019 Trojans must develop a QB to make the Trojan offense a two headed monster of run and pass. If this can happen, it will take a lot of burden off Tayln, and also at the same time some wideouts might emerge to be true playmakers. A balanced offense is always the most difficult offense to defend. In the Trojans losses this season, the one dimensional run heavy offense simply couldn't get going, and Portsmouth didn't have the answer through the air to counter opposing defenses.

In closing this 2018 season, I'm very proud of all our Trojans and the coaches who brought our football program from the depths of despair to respectability once again. Now the question that lies ahead is......can the football program develop a consistent winning product? Time will tell, but the 2018 Trojans were certainly a good starting point.

GO TROJANS!!!
Good post trojandave!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

VetteMan wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:50 am I wanted Portsmouth to win, and they have nothing to be ashamed of with how they played. I know how everyone raves about how good of defense that Madison plays, and the results prove that out. Mayby PHS has improved a lot on defense throughout the year, and I'm sure they probably have. I wasn't there so mayby the field conditions hampered both teams throughout the game. At times this year PHS's defense has not played near as well as there offense has. I'm not trying to discredit PHS at all, but I'm wondering if Madison's offense is up to par with it's defense? To me it seems as if they only threw the ball that few a times through 11 games, teams that play good defense also, will stack the box and dare them to throw. From here on out I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
It's the same thing they done last year and got them to state semifinals. They average 334 a game rushing, any team that can average over 300 in total offense in high school is doing good. They're keeping the clock running and playing lights out defensively. Coldwater and Kirtland have both found plenty of success I'm pretty sure anyways :D , with just running the ball. Kirtland had games last year where they ran it 50 plus times a game with maybe 1-2 throws if they done that.

Return to “Football”