OHSAA FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS ?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: OHSAA FOOTBALL PLAYOFFS ?

Post by FANOSPORTS »

:( After week #1 only 3 teams are left in SEO East of Rt. 23 and below and not bordering the I-70 and I-71 coorridors (below Bellaire / Shadyside off of I-70 and/or the Marietta area off I-77). Wheelersburg, Trimble and Paint Valley who's just a bit west of Chillicothe. Wheelersburg will carry the flag with the best chance from here on out, Trimble should win this week & Paint Valley will probably go down this week.
Last edited by FANOSPORTS on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:11 pm :( After week #1 only 3 teams are left in SEO East of Rt. 23 and below and not bordering the I-70 and I-71 coorridors (below Bellaire / Shadyside off of I-70 and/or the Marietta area off I-71). Wheelersburg, Trimble and Paint Valley who's just a bit west of Chillicothe. Wheelersburg will carry the flag with the best chance from here on out, Trimble should win this week & Paint Valley will probably go down this week.
Waterford?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Superman wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:04 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:11 pm :( After week #1 only 3 teams are left in SEO East of Rt. 23 and below and not bordering the I-70 and I-71 coorridors (below Bellaire / Shadyside off of I-70 and/or the Marietta area off I-71). Wheelersburg, Trimble and Paint Valley who's just a bit west of Chillicothe. Wheelersburg will carry the flag with the best chance from here on out, Trimble should win this week & Paint Valley will probably go down this week.
Waterford?
I'm considering Waterford and Fort Frye in the I-71 Marietta corridor in the North part of the SEO region since they would be technically considered suburbs around Marietta IMO.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:08 pm
Waterford?
I'm considering Waterford and Fort Frye in the I-71 Marietta corridor in the North part of the SEO region since they would be technically considered suburbs around Marietta IMO.
So you are just making up your own list of Southeastern Ohio teams?

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:25 pm

Waterford?
So you are just making up your own list of Southeastern Ohio teams?
Nope, just figuring communities and schools that aren't in or around metropolitan areas with over 100,000 people (Parkersburg/Marietta, Columbus/Newark, Wheeling/Moundsville/St. Clairsville areas) that don't border the two Interstates of I-70 and I-71 in the North part of the region, that's all. Just from a geographic point of view for the region as a whole, nothing more and nothing less. ;)

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

The reality is almost all of SEO got blown out on the opening weekend of the playoffs. Nothing new here. Only a few teams remain. And then , not for long.

Have gun, will travel
Superman
JV Team

Post by Superman »

Waterford?
Your confusing me with all this talk about I-71. Do you maybe mean I-77?

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Waterford?
Neither one is anything like a suburb or really anything like Marietta.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Superman wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Waterford?
Your confusing me with all this talk about I-71. Do you maybe mean I-77?
Sorry, yes I-77 :oops:

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

enigmaax wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Waterford?
The traditional way of life is not the same as city life but If you're within a 20-30 minute drive of a metropolitan area that is still a suburb or outlying district of a city. Some people call them bedroom communities when people routinely drive to them for work , shopping , etc. on a daily or weekly basis.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:49 pm

The traditional way of life is not the same as city life but If you're within a 20-30 minute drive of a metropolitan area that is still a suburb or outlying district of a city. Some people call them bedroom communities when people routinely drive to them for work , shopping , etc. on a daily or weekly basis.
You can call them what you want but they are still playing and they are in Southeastern Ohio.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:18 pm
You can call them what you want but they are still playing and they are in Southeastern Ohio.
I know what a suburb is and what a bedroom community is. Most people don’t say, “I want to work in Marietta so I am going to move to Waterford or Beverly.” Most people who live there grew up there or married someone who hrew up there. Both, but maybe to a greater extent, Waterford is basically a farm community - the “town” literally has about 4 streets. Marietta, itself, is not some major metropolis to begin with, but even accepting your interstate logic, it just simply does not affect Waterford/Beverly in the least. I don’t know exactly why you are trying to make the distinction, but I just think you are badly mischaracterizing the dynamic. Not trying to be rude and I’m curious about your perspective. Have you ever been to Waterford or Beverly?

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

enigmaax wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:44 pm

I know what a suburb is and what a bedroom community is. Most people don’t say, “I want to work in Marietta so I am going to move to Waterford or Beverly.” Most people who live there grew up there or married someone who hrew up there. Both, but maybe to a greater extent, Waterford is basically a farm community - the “town” literally has about 4 streets. Marietta, itself, is not some major metropolis to begin with, but even accepting your interstate logic, it just simply does not affect Waterford/Beverly in the least. I don’t know exactly why you are trying to make the distinction, but I just think you are badly mischaracterizing the dynamic. Not trying to be rude and I’m curious about your perspective. Have you ever been to Waterford or Beverly?
Yep, used to travel old 60 to Zanesville and 339 thru Beverly/Waterford, mostly years ago. Went to a few football games @ Warren local years ago. Had some friends that lived over to the west in Stockport and played a lot of softball tournaments in Marietta when I was younger so yeah i'm familiar with the area. I grew up 2 and 3 counties down the Ohio river from there so i'm familiar with SEO and most of the town's even though I've lived around Columbus the last 30 years. My perspective when it comes to high school sports, especially in SEO as most of the rest of the state has never seemed to respect it athletic wise at the high school level anyway is that when you live around a metropolitan area it gives you a step up with a better economic base with the taxes, manufacturing, businesses, many more career job opportunities w/benefits etc. and those go hand in hand with keeping new growth, generational families, schools, athletic programs and communities viable in the long run. It's just sad to me that most of SEO will never have those opportunities and the few that are around these areas and do well in athletics with some good success will never be on the same level playing field as the rest of the state with some of it due to the regional population and political representation. Heck, some of these places across the state have athletic complexes and facilities worth more than some SEO towns , city or maybe county budgets for the year. On that note i'll jump off this bandwagon and wish all the remaining SEO teams good luck this weekend.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Yep, used to travel old 60 to Zanesville and 339 thru Beverly/Waterford, mostly years ago. Went to a few football games @ Warren local years ago. Had some friends that lived over to the west in Stockport and played a lot of softball tournaments in Marietta when I was younger so yeah i'm familiar with the area. I grew up 2 and 3 counties down the Ohio river from there so i'm familiar with SEO and most of the town's even though I've lived around Columbus the last 30 years. My perspective when it comes to high school sports, especially in SEO as most of the rest of the state has never seemed to respect it athletic wise at the high school level anyway is that when you live around a metropolitan area it gives you a step up with a better economic base with the taxes, manufacturing, businesses, many more career job opportunities w/benefits etc. and those go hand in hand with keeping new growth, generational families, schools, athletic programs and communities viable in the long run. It's just sad to me that most of SEO will never have those opportunities and the few that are around these areas and do well in athletics with some good success will never be on the same level playing field as the rest of the state with some of it due to the regional population and political representation. Heck, some of these places across the state have athletic complexes and facilities worth more than some SEO towns , city or maybe county budgets for the year. On that note i'll jump off this bandwagon and wish all the remaining SEO teams good luck this weekend.
Thanks for sharing. Good take, which is why I thought it was odd that you excluded Waterford and Beverly; I see them as about as SEO as SEO gets. The gap has closed a bit in the information age, I think. I also notice that travel habits have changed and that has helped local sports programs; for example, when I was a kid, Columbus was a really big trip but now it is nothing for kids to play tournaments there and beyond every weekend. There’s a long way to go and it may never completely catch up, but the opportunities have increased tremendously in the last 10-20 years.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

enigmaax wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:25 am
FANOSPORTS wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks for sharing. Good take, which is why I thought it was odd that you excluded Waterford and Beverly; I see them as about as SEO as SEO gets. The gap has closed a bit in the information age, I think. I also notice that travel habits have changed and that has helped local sports programs; for example, when I was a kid, Columbus was a really big trip but now it is nothing for kids to play tournaments there and beyond every weekend. There’s a long way to go and it may never completely catch up, but the opportunities have increased tremendously in the last 10-20 years.
Yes and travel ball in all sports has helped tremendously down there in the formative years especially by letting kids play up and against better competition but there's still a big disparity where a lot of teams down there have to get kids (that usually end up playing against each other by the time they get to high school ) from 2, 3 or 4 counties to form 1 great team because of sheer problems associated with means, numbers, $, travel costs, etc. and teams from bigger municipalities across the state can form their teams with kids from the same county and have multiple teams along with being the hosts of most of the tourneys . ;)

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

I believe I have told this story before but it is worth telling again. It is how the northerners view SEO. And that includes coaches. When I was at Akron, I got a call from the D Coordinator to show a recruit around for the weekend. I asked why he chose me. He said you're from SEO and so is this recruit. I asked where he was from. He said Steubenville. I told him "you don't have any idea where Ironton is do you." I declined his request.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

79Tiger wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:54 pm I believe I have told this story before but it is worth telling again. It is how the northerners view SEO. And that includes coaches. When I was at Akron, I got a call from the D Coordinator to show a recruit around for the weekend. I asked why he chose me. He said you're from SEO and so is this recruit. I asked where he was from. He said Steubenville. I told him "you don't have any idea where Ironton is do you." I declined his request.
You gotta love it when your college coach doesn't even know the geography of the state he's coaching in. As we'd say down home: "You did good " declining that request . Did you at least give him that funny look like " are you serious" :lol:

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Actually, Steubenville is paired up with the South All Star team for the Ohio North-South game and have been for decades. They are “Rebels”. Roughly only the top one third of Ohio geographically makes up the “North”. Bottom two thirds are where the South teams come from.

Have gun, will travel
79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

I am aware of that. I played in that game in 1980. But there is a big difference geographically between Ironton and Steubenville. You would think he would be aware of that. When I explained that Ironton was in Southern Ohio on the river, most thought of Cincinnati. When I told them that it was on the eastern side of the state, they would ask near Marietta? It is like nothing existed south of Marietta in the eastern part of the state.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Just a few #'s to throw out there for Rd#1:

17 teams scored no points (DIII was the only division to have no shutouts)
28 more teams scored 10 or less (2 of these played defense and won their games)
36 teams lost by 30 points or more (16% of the field)

Return to “Football”