Where does Logan go from here?

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Re: Where does Logan go from here?

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

Paladin wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:18 pm

There is a record of what happened at Medina Buckeye. With him gone , the program recovered and are winning again and back to the playoffs.
Heard some folks talking about this a few weeks ago when I was in town....

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:07 pm
VetteMan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:05 pm What was his record and how long was he the coach at Medina Buckeye ? With the tradition in football in Logan over the years, I can't believe that there wouldn't be plenty of coaches that would love to have the chance to be the head football coach at Logan High School. I'm an outsider, so mayby there are some other reasons as to why someone wouldn't be interested. I have been to your Stadium, and there are very few in SEO that can even compare.
It's hard to coach at a school that size with no league.
I'm sure that new field house or whatever they are calling it will help.
I agree with what you're saying about not being in a league, it would have to be a big problem in trying to set up a Schedule. No doubt you would just about have to take what is out there, against whomever to be able to come up with a 10 game schedule.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Here s the Medina Buckeye record under Burke-

2007. 6-4
08. 6-4
09. 8-2 playoffs
10. 3-7
11. 3-7

Total. 26-24. , 1 playoff

12 - resigns two weeks before season started in a dispute with administration. His prep was used by coaches for a 3-7 season. He remains as a teacher that year.

Logan, hired in 2013 going 26-34 in 6 seasons. That’s not a record that gets him hired at Lancaster.

Meanwhile back at Buckeye they recover in 2013 going 6-4. Then 2014. 8-2 playoffs, 2015. 10-0, playoffs, 2016. 9-1 , playoffs. 2017. 10-0. , playoffs and 2018. 9-1 , playoffs. Needless to say Buckeye is happy he moved on.

Can I get an Amen ? lol

Have gun, will travel
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Paladin wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:51 pm Here s the Medina Buckeye record under Burke-

2007. 6-4
08. 6-4
09. 8-2 playoffs
10. 3-7
11. 3-7

Total. 26-24. , 1 playoff

12 - resigns two weeks before season started in a dispute with administration. His prep was used by coaches for a 3-7 season. He remains as a teacher that year.

Logan, hired in 2013 going 26-34 in 6 seasons. That’s not a record that gets him hired at Lancaster.

Meanwhile back at Buckeye they recover in 2013 going 6-4. Then 2014. 8-2 playoffs, 2015. 10-0, playoffs, 2016. 9-1 , playoffs. 2017. 10-0. , playoffs and 2018. 9-1 , playoffs. Needless to say Buckeye is happy he moved on.

Can I get an Amen ? lol
My God, Amen! 52-8 since he left! Thanks for the Stats.

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

The new field house will be nice eye candy for our school. However, I don’t see it being a major benefactor to our football program and turning it around with our current coach. We already have a top notch stadium, awesome boosters, etc. Yet we still can’t win. A building doesn’t make the team a winner, a coach with a vision does. Now if he were to move on, the field house does become a factor in recruiting a new head coach.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I really don't think a record of 26-34 over a 6 year period is going to keep him employed very much longer. The size of the crowd at the games I'm sure is not what they usually have. I would have thought the "Brass" would have seen the dissatisfaction with the fans, the community, even in some of the kids that don't care whether they play or not. At the pace that is ongoing, something needs to be done, and the sooner the better. I don't live in the Logan area, but I remember the Tradition that they have always had in there football program. I also said before that I think the new Chieftain Center will really be something to be proud of.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

All of Logan's underclasses hardly have 20 players

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Chief02 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:10 pm
1987chieftains wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 am I think the administration is fine with the results and it will be business as usual.......

I agree 87. I wasn’t a fan of how the records were under Kelly, but it baffles my mind that we are in the same situation for longer and not even a hint of change or action. So that makes me believe one of two things:
1. Administration has a “yes man” as a football coach that doesn’t go against their approach towards things.
OR
2. They don’t care how the state of Logan football has seemingly gone into disrepair.
I know that may not be a popular opinion among some on here and it is probably simplistic to them as well, but it’s an opinion to say the least. The way I see it, this guy has no long term loyalty to our program. He wouldn’t think twice about leaving us if his “dream job” opened.
Burkes dream job is the Lancaster position. And as I have mentioned before, his kids are in the Lancaster school district for a reason. As soon as Carpenter retires ole Billys packing his office in hopes of getting the job. But in saying that.... Would Lancaster want him. Other then his stint as a assistant at Davidson, His legacy has been... to be nice...... Not good..... at any of his stops.

AT THE RESERVATION
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:16 am All of Logan's underclasses hardly have 20 players
And that is a direct reflection of the lack of direction and cultivating of your lower programs and your biddy/feeder programs.
If you show no interest, they will show no interest in you.

AT THE RESERVATION
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

If the Board and Supt wants him as a Yes Man, Let vote out the school Board and demand change from the top down! :mrgreen:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

1987chieftains wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:41 am
1987chieftains wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 am I think the administration is fine with the results and it will be business as usual.......

I agree 87. I wasn’t a fan of how the records were under Kelly, but it baffles my mind that we are in the same situation for longer and not even a hint of change or action. So that makes me believe one of two things:
1. Administration has a “yes man” as a football coach that doesn’t go against their approach towards things.
OR
2. They don’t care how the state of Logan football has seemingly gone into disrepair.
I know that may not be a popular opinion among some on here and it is probably simplistic to them as well, but it’s an opinion to say the least. The way I see it, this guy has no long term loyalty to our program. He wouldn’t think twice about leaving us if his “dream job” opened.
Burkes dream job is the Lancaster position. And as I have mentioned before, his kids are in the Lancaster school district for a reason. As soon as Carpenter retires ole Billys packing his office in hopes of getting the job. But in saying that.... Would Lancaster want him. Other then his stint as a assistant at Davidson, His legacy has been... to be nice...... Not good..... at any of his stops.
I know a few people at Lancaster and the feeling I get is they wouldn't want him.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:15 pm John Smith, if he applied - if the job opened up - think he would get at least an interview?
The school reached out to John when they hired Burke.

John got out of coaching because he wanted to be able to spend time watching and coaching (lower levels) his kids as they go through middle/high school.

Plus - you can't blame a guy for not wanting to pull his kids out of Bexley schools, one of the best public schools in America.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I don't doubt Burke would love to coach his alma matter.

But Lancaster isn't hiring him - and I think that was always a pipe dream. They will have a TON of quality internal candidates when Carpenter finally hangs em up and they'll also have a TON of external applicants.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

1987chieftains wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:41 am And as I have mentioned before, his kids are in the Lancaster school district for a reason.
I will say this:

Yes, Burke's kids are at Lancaster (where I believe his wife is also a principal somewhere).

BUT....

When Burke was hired, he pledged to move to Logan - BUT the agreement also included a promise from Logan to get his wife a principal job in the Logan system.

She was passed over for a couple jobs in those first few years so the family never moved.

Of course I don't know ALL the details, but my basic understanding is that the previous superintendent did not keep his end of the bargain and that's why the Burke's stayed in Lancaster. And when you consider the time he has to put in after school, it makes senese that Mom and kids would need to be in the same school district. And I'm sure momma said "I'm not driving every day so you can coach football"

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:07 am

OR
I know a few people at Lancaster and the feeling I get is they wouldn't want him.

I also know people in Lancaster and they love football and they laugh when you mention our coach.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:07 am

OR
His last name isn’t Carpenter, so that isn’t helping the case.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

BTW, no picture of Medina Buckeye would be complete until you looked at both pre-Burke and post-Burke. They go 52-8 with 5 playoff trips AFTER he leaves. They were 26-24 with 1 playoff with him. But they were 39-10 and 3 trips to playoffs the 5 years before him. Controversy and underperformng were his hallmarks. They like where they are, NOW.

Now , look at Logan.

Have gun, will travel
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Does the BOE or the Superintendent have the final say as far as hiring or firing a teacher, coach, or any employee of the school system? I know teachers after so many years have more than a 1 year contract. Are coaches usually hired year to year?

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:25 am
1987chieftains wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:41 am And as I have mentioned before, his kids are in the Lancaster school district for a reason.
I will say this:

Yes, Burke's kids are at Lancaster (where I believe his wife is also a principal somewhere).

BUT....

When Burke was hired, he pledged to move to Logan - BUT the agreement also included a promise from Logan to get his wife a principal job in the Logan system.

She was passed over for a couple jobs in those first few years so the family never moved.

Of course I don't know ALL the details, but my basic understanding is that the previous superintendent did not keep his end of the bargain and that's why the Burke's stayed in Lancaster. And when you consider the time he has to put in after school, it makes senese that Mom and kids would need to be in the same school district. And I'm sure momma said "I'm not driving every day so you can coach football"
Why is this not surprising? A failure to follow through with a commitment at the highest levels. I’m sure Burke may harbor some resentment over this.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Yes 02, Not surprising at all. Maybe this is why he is getting a pass for the poor product that has been placed on the field. This would kinda explain some of his dis-connect from the community.

AT THE RESERVATION

Return to “Football”