2018/19 Diaper Dandies (Top Freshman)

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Re: 2018/19 Diaper Dandies (Top Freshman)

Post by Ukfanatic »

Ironman I respect your opinion very much. How would you rank the freshman classes since you have seen them probably more than anyone?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:47 am Logan and Jackson both have better freshman group than Wheelersburg. Waverlys is the best though. Especially with the addition of Colton Miller
Where did Colton Miller come from?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Western It is Kyle Millers little brother

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

good read

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm Ironman I respect your opinion very much. How would you rank the freshman classes since you have seen them probably more than anyone?
I’ll give an in depth rundown this evening

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Logan...solid. Crafty guard that can shoot, couple 6’0 kids that can run the offense and play good defense...and Myers. Myers projects to an awesome varsity player just like his cousin. He’s one of the top freshman. This Logan grouped matched up pretty well with Waverly but also were coached by a varsity coach or former varsity coach...that helped.

Waverly has always had “those” guards in Robertson and Stulley. Lightning fast with all the skills and always the smallest on the court...they can play it. Dynamic. Futhey boys really took that team to a higher level. Will was about 6’2 in 7th grade and a manchild on the court. Brother Wade not the size but solid defender that knew his role...then in 8th grade he was drilling 3’s and there were to many weapons to guard.

Meigs has 4 really good ones and they were big and strong in 7th. Cleland is special and was varsity QB as a freshman. He’s a top notch frosh in the district. Bartrum solid and keeps growing as expected. Blonde headed kid about 6’1 and athletic and another kid about 5’10 that’s a freaky athlete. Those 4 were great in junior high and should translate well. Cleland is cant miss.

Jackson is the deepest. 6’2 Bragg and new to the program 6’0 Evan Spires and definitely 2 of the top 10 freshman in the district and both getting varsity looks on a very talented Jackson varsity team. Holden Blankenship is practicing varsity and in the JV scrimmage tonight was the best player on the floor. Losing Tristan Prater hurts the depth as he is maybe the best athlete. Started cornerback on a D3 playoff football team. His brother starting LB for Northwestern and Prater is focusing on football. 6’1 Nate Woodard...he can score and his 6’6 Dad was a former SEOAL MVP and D2 collegiate player. Nate will be freshman and JV and do well. He projects very good varsity down the road. 5’11 Chris Hughes...he’s your everywhere role kid that can cause chaos on defense. 6’1 Logan Miller ...has the game skills you can’t teach. Great hands and finisher. 6’0 Trey Miller....great perimeter shooter than understands how to score. They all have deficiencies and whether they commit to improving or playing the other side of the ball is to be determined. Lesser teams can keep it close but Jackson really matches up well with all the teams with size and skill and could handle Waverly’s pressure. Waverly more disciplined on defense and Jackson more scoring options.

Portsmouth...watched them at Rio tournament last year and they were athletic but weren’t greatly disciplined on defense and not great shooters. They lost to a Barboursville team that Waverly blasted by 20. Speed and athleticism is there. As they improve shooting and court discipline they should round into a really good group for the Trojans.

South Webster...Zimmerman a top freshman type player and will be a great varsity scorer in the not too distant future. Blizzard just about 5’10 but a freaky athlete that can make a lot happen....didn’t have much else but kids playing their roles.

Chillicothe....has great coach Mark Bayless coaching them last year and they are quick and big and long AND disciplined. If those kids improve their shooting and grow any more....they will be tough as a varsity team in a few years. Have about 6 kids that are quite good.

Fairland...kids have been well coached since 3rd grade and play hard.They have a star (Aiden Porter) and several solid role players that hustle and are where they are supposed to be.

Logan Elm....good team with couple really good players that look like really good future varsity kids. They look like basketball players.

Burg? I don’t know. They didn’t have anything in 6th grade and I didn’t see them last year. They must be good but I haven’t seen them.

Minford...big strong farm kids. We’ll see if they focus on basketball and they could be good.

McClain....star shooter and size. Probably 3 good varsity players in that group in the future.

Southeastern and Adena....good players and solid teams but I haven’t seen them.

The freshman class across the district was really really strong in jr high and many of them really project very well for the next 4 years.

Robertson, Bragg, Cleland, Myers, Zimmerman, Porter, Spires, Futhey are the best of the best right now IMO....each with a different situation within their program.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

Great rundown I92. Were there a couple of pretty good 8th graders last year at Vinton County? I know Spires obviously, but I was thinking they had a pretty good team.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Really good info, Ironman92. You know your stuff. Looks like your Ironmen are definitely on the way up.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:48 pm Logan...solid. Crafty guard that can shoot, couple 6’0 kids that can run the offense and play good defense...and Myers. Myers projects to an awesome varsity player just like his cousin. He’s one of the top freshman. This Logan grouped matched up pretty well with Waverly but also were coached by a varsity coach or former varsity coach...that helped.

Waverly has always had “those” guards in Robertson and Stulley. Lightning fast with all the skills and always the smallest on the court...they can play it. Dynamic. Futhey boys really took that team to a higher level. Will was about 6’2 in 7th grade and a manchild on the court. Brother Wade not the size but solid defender that knew his role...then in 8th grade he was drilling 3’s and there were to many weapons to guard.

Meigs has 4 really good ones and they were big and strong in 7th. Cleland is special and was varsity QB as a freshman. He’s a top notch frosh in the district. Bartrum solid and keeps growing as expected. Blonde headed kid about 6’1 and athletic and another kid about 5’10 that’s a freaky athlete. Those 4 were great in junior high and should translate well. Cleland is cant miss.

Jackson is the deepest. 6’2 Bragg and new to the program 6’0 Evan Spires and definitely 2 of the top 10 freshman in the district and both getting varsity looks on a very talented Jackson varsity team. Holden Blankenship is practicing varsity and in the JV scrimmage tonight was the best player on the floor. Losing Tristan Prater hurts the depth as he is maybe the best athlete. Started cornerback on a D3 playoff football team. His brother starting LB for Northwestern and Prater is focusing on football. 6’1 Nate Woodard...he can score and his 6’6 Dad was a former SEOAL MVP and D2 collegiate player. Nate will be freshman and JV and do well. He projects very good varsity down the road. 5’11 Chris Hughes...he’s your everywhere role kid that can cause chaos on defense. 6’1 Logan Miller ...has the game skills you can’t teach. Great hands and finisher. 6’0 Trey Miller....great perimeter shooter than understands how to score. They all have deficiencies and whether they commit to improving or playing the other side of the ball is to be determined. Lesser teams can keep it close but Jackson really matches up well with all the teams with size and skill and could handle Waverly’s pressure. Waverly more disciplined on defense and Jackson more scoring options.

Portsmouth...watched them at Rio tournament last year and they were athletic but weren’t greatly disciplined on defense and not great shooters. They lost to a Barboursville team that Waverly blasted by 20. Speed and athleticism is there. As they improve shooting and court discipline they should round into a really good group for the Trojans.

South Webster...Zimmerman a top freshman type player and will be a great varsity scorer in the not too distant future. Blizzard just about 5’10 but a freaky athlete that can make a lot happen....didn’t have much else but kids playing their roles.

Chillicothe....has great coach Mark Bayless coaching them last year and they are quick and big and long AND disciplined. If those kids improve their shooting and grow any more....they will be tough as a varsity team in a few years. Have about 6 kids that are quite good.

Fairland...kids have been well coached since 3rd grade and play hard.They have a star (Aiden Porter) and several solid role players that hustle and are where they are supposed to be.

Logan Elm....good team with couple really good players that look like really good future varsity kids. They look like basketball players.

Burg? I don’t know. They didn’t have anything in 6th grade and I didn’t see them last year. They must be good but I haven’t seen them.

Minford...big strong farm kids. We’ll see if they focus on basketball and they could be good.

McClain....star shooter and size. Probably 3 good varsity players in that group in the future.

The freshman class across the district was really really strong in jr high and many of them really project very well for the next 4 years.

Robertson, Bragg, Cleland, Myers, Zimmerman, Porter, Spires, Futhey are the best of the best right now IMO....each with a different situation within their program.
... can't beat the read of posters who KNOW of what they are posting about - good stuff I92 ! where does your son fit into the Jackson group of quality players ? sounds like JHS has the talent to STAY a viable Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line for years to come - not sure we have been able to say THAT ever - Coach Morrow has the coaching ability to KEEP the quality players in the Red & White of Jackson - something that has NOT been the case ... great read I92 - thanks for you imparting your insight on us cheap seat varsity guys ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ShoeHorn wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:38 pm Great rundown I92. Were there a couple of pretty good 8th graders last year at Vinton County? I know Spires obviously, but I was thinking they had a pretty good team.
Yeah VC freshman are solid. Spires was their go to guy that could do it all but I imagine that without him they are still the 2nd best freshman group in TVC Ohio behind Meigs. VC has size (Asa Davidson 6’3) and a bunch of solid ball players. Radabaugh, Graham, Nickels. Combs will get usage out of the freshman class in a couple years

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

trojandave wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:37 pm Really good info, Ironman92. You know your stuff. Looks like your Ironmen are definitely on the way up.
It’s a good group....probably about a dozen different factors on how good they are as varsity players. Focusing on other sports and committing to all aspects of basketball will be telling in the end.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:44 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:48 pm Logan...solid. Crafty guard that can shoot, couple 6’0 kids that can run the offense and play good defense...and Myers. Myers projects to an awesome varsity player just like his cousin. He’s one of the top freshman. This Logan grouped matched up pretty well with Waverly but also were coached by a varsity coach or former varsity coach...that helped.

... can't beat the read of posters who KNOW of what they are posting about - good stuff I92 ! where does your son fit into the Jackson group of quality players ? sounds like JHS has the talent to STAY a viable Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line for years to come - not sure we have been able to say THAT ever - Coach Morrow has the coaching ability to KEEP the quality players in the Red & White of Jackson - something that has NOT been the case ... great read I92 - thanks for you imparting your insight on us cheap seat varsity guys ...
My kid is 5’11 1/2 Chris Hughes....he’ll be on the freshman team all year and maybe get a sniff of JV if they need a kid to get after a guard on defense. My kid is usually good for a few points, some real good defense on the ball and in help, great at boxing out but he gets noticed for his hustle. Basketball is his #4...he loves track, XC and band...but knowing this I’m proud as can be at the effort and energy he gives. Doesn’t take it for granted. He grew very young and always athletic but not a skilled basketball player...now he’s guard size and must make the transition. He’s careful and smart with the ball in his hands but he’s got to get to comfortable. He can shoot but we’ll see if it ever shows. I won’t bet against him.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:27 pm

My kid is 5’11 1/2 Chris Hughes....he’ll be on the freshman team all year and maybe get a sniff of JV if they need a kid to get after a guard on defense. My kid is usually good for a few points, some real good defense on the ball and in help, great at boxing out but he gets noticed for his hustle. Basketball is his #4...he loves track, XC and band...but knowing this I’m proud as can be at the effort and energy he gives. Doesn’t take it for granted. He grew very young and always athletic but not a skilled basketball player...now he’s guard size and must make the transition. He’s careful and smart with the ball in his hands but he’s got to get to comfortable. He can shoot but we’ll see if it ever shows. I won’t bet against him.
... I love the fact that your son plays multiple sports - too many want to specialize in 1 when all of the coaches say that playing them all is how you want to do it ... with his hustle, and fundamentals he will fit in on any TEAM ... he sounds like a high IQ player that will figure out his role and give TEAM whatever it needs ... I wish him a great winter sports season I92 ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:27 pm

... I love the fact that your son plays multiple sports - too many want to specialize in 1 when all of the coaches say that playing them all is how you want to do it ... with his hustle, and fundamentals he will fit in on any TEAM ... he sounds like a high IQ player that will figure out his role and give TEAM whatever it needs ... I wish him a great winter sports season I92 ...
Thanks...in the last several years the Jackson coaches have become pretty understanding and supportive of the athletes playing multiple sports

Lvbball
Waterboy

Post by Lvbball »

Great summary of the freshman class. SE Ohio is loaded at that level and it will be fun/interesting to see how each develop. I have seen 90% of the players you have listed and they are all what you say.
It will be interesting to see where each of these players are in a couple weeks. I’m sure we will see a number of them dressing varsity and making a impact at some point.

Return to “Boys Basketball”