Freshman Team

2018/19 Southern Tornadoes

Post by Donnie Hagglethorpe »

Please post:
  • Schedule
  • Roster with #/Name/Height/Year
  • Outlook

Now that the thought of a playoff berth is out the door
What do the almost champions have in store?
Will their offense be run and fun?
Will it create a deep tourney run?
A great set of games with eastern are absolutely for sure!

Let’s call this my Tornado Haiku

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: 2018 Racine Southern Hustlin Purple Tornadoes Outlook

Post by pfloyd »

... what does the Southern lineup look like coming back ? I never saw the Tornadoes play last season other than the Shriner get together ... looking at the program returnees are :

Cunningham (6-4)
VanCooney (6-2)
VanMeter (5-11)
Anderson (5-9)
Parker (5-10)
McNickle (5-11)
Harmon (5-11)
Baker (6-1)
Thorla (6-1)

Who will be starters/who will be coming up from the JV's ?

Fonzie
S

Re: 2018/19 Racine Southern Hustlin Purple Tornadoes

Post by Fonzie »

I expect to see McNickle have a good season for the Tornadoes. I believe him coming over from football for the first time, will give him a little bit more grit then he previously had. Football kids acquire a toughness that translates to other sports. In the past, I thought McNickle was roughed up a bit and didn't match the toughness. I think this year we see him go toe to toe with any physical play. Cunningham will have a nice year for the Tornadoes as well. I think he has developed nicely over the summer.

Thorla suffered a shoulder injury in week 8 of football. Last I saw, he was in a shoulder sling. Not sure how long he will be out and what type of impact it will have in basketball. He might have even played in week 10, I didn't make it out to Eastern to see the game.

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

Fonzie wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:32 am I expect to see McNickle have a good season for the Tornadoes. I believe him coming over from football for the first time, will give him a little bit more grit then he previously had. Football kids acquire a toughness that translates to other sports. In the past, I thought McNickle was roughed up a bit and didn't match the toughness. I think this year we see him go toe to toe with any physical play. Cunningham will have a nice year for the Tornadoes as well. I think he has developed nicely over the summer.

Thorla suffered a shoulder injury in week 8 of football. Last I saw, he was in a shoulder sling. Not sure how long he will be out and what type of impact it will have in basketball. He might have even played in week 10, I didn't make it out to Eastern to see the game.
i dont see this as a positive. Back in my day the basketball team didnt play football and we sure didnt lift them dang waits. Them things throws off your shot. You can ask ole cousin H. We all knew to stay away from football.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
TVC
Varsity

Re: 2018 Racine Southern Hustlin Purple Tornadoes Outlook

Post by TVC »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:53 pm ... what does the Southern lineup look like coming back ? I never saw the Tornadoes play last season other than the Shriner get together ... looking at the program returnees are :

Cunningham (6-4)
VanCooney (6-2)
VanMeter (5-11)
Anderson (5-9)
Parker (5-10)
McNickle (5-11)
Harmon (5-11)
Baker (6-1)
Thorla (6-1)

Who will be starters/who will be coming up from the JV's ?
VanCooney
VanMeter
Both quit last year mid season.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Not sure the kids name, but I believe one of them quit over not following a team rule. Clean shave policy was the issue. The young man decided he would rather have facial hair instead of being apart of the team. Sad, because I really liked the way the boy played. Lots of hustle on the JV squad and was getting to dress and limited time at the varsity level. Maybe he will return this season with a different attitude towards the team policies.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

The " Clean Shave " policy, is that a Coaches rule or a School rule?

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:20 pm The " Clean Shave " policy, is that a Coaches rule or a School rule?
Last I knew, it was the coaches policy. On a list of rules and expectations that are handed out and discussed before each season. Players sign, and I believe a parent/guardian also signs the sheet and then is turned in for record purposes.

Do I believe being cleaned shaved makes you a better basketball player...no. But I do believe it teaches you a valuable life lesson of responsibility and accountability. I for one am in a job where it is policy to be clean shaved each and every day. If i want a job, I shave. If facial hair is more important, then I should go look for another job.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: 2018/19 Southern Tornadoes

Post by mattash »

Schedule?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Re: 2018/19 Southern Tornadoes

Post by mattash »

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"