Riding the Bench

Re: Waverly vs Athens

Post by Dunn97 »

Way to go Tigers!

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Well balanced attack for Waverly tonight putting 3 players in double figures. But it was Waverly’s defense that closed the game out.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

SportsRule wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:48 pm Was that Waverly ‘s first game?
Yes, and they’ll get better.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Nice win for the Tigers! Bulldogs will win a lot of games this year. Remington played great on both ends...wow, can he get up for a rebound! Robertson showed some crazy range and poise for a freshman...well, actually for any grade. Easton did what he does...explosive play around the rim and physical D. Cobe played very well tonight, and I was impressed with Smallwood. He’s come a long way and I think he has a chance to be an inside force if he continues to be more physical. Shoemaker is a nice player who will only get better as he comes out of football mode. He’s physical and a nightmare for ballhandlers...relentless. I thought Dunn played well also..some nice passing in the paint. Tigers have a chance to be a nice squad if they keep working.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good game...what I expected. Two very good SE District basketball teams. Waverly I thought played very well for 8 players deep and I thought the 6’4 freshman Futhey came in and played about 3-4 active minutes for a solid 9th guy.

Remington is greatly improved and an offensive weapon. His shot isn’t great but his quickness really isn’t matched around here. He can really get to the rim and his defense is worth the price of admission. His one big downfall IMO is that he sometimes takes way too long to come down Fter he jumps. :D

Robertson was really good. I think he only took one bad shot and didn’t do very much wrong at all. He is special. He hit about a 25 footer some just kinda looked like oh wow but to myself I’m like...that’s his 4th grade range. Then he hit a 28 and 29 footer. Missed a couple long ones that rattled in and out. He created some and held his own well enough on defense.

Waverly needs another shooter but they have 9-10 really good defensive players. Dunn and Shoemaker were very good off bench. Shoemaker will test your patience and is a strong player at the guard position. Marquez is Mr. Solid. Great body control in traffic and always where he supposed to be. Wolfe gonna get more and more basketbally as the season goes. A fun team to watch.

Athens is an interesting team but I’ve seen them a bit more as a group. Hynes was their player tonight. Tremendous body control and once he gets it deep it’s 2 points. Butcher has always had trouble getting the tough fouls. He does a lot of things well and this Athens team needs him out there. Didn’t score much tonight. Chubb is a big guard and maybe my favorite kid out there on the court but he had trouble tonight despite playing very hard. He’s going to have some big games and cause a lot of problems for others. Maxfield didn’t get into this game as well as normal. Waverly is a tough matchup th first time you face them. Maxfield a top player but wasn’t a big factor tonight. Williams lightning fast but had trouble with getting a bit out of control and couldn’t finish. Remington actually sped him a bit faster than he can finish. Needed him to get down court though and he was on sideline a lot in 2nd half. Athens has a nice shooter and a quick guard defender on bench and a good big also. They’ll have a great season...tough opening weekend.

I will add 2 of the refs did a great job I thought. That was a fat game that certainly wasn’t easy to officiate.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:46 pm Good game...what I expected. Two very good SE District basketball teams. Waverly I thought played very well for 8 players deep and I thought the 6’4 freshman Futhey came in and played about 3-4 active minutes for a solid 9th guy.

Remington is greatly improved and an offensive weapon. His shot isn’t great but his quickness really isn’t matched around here. He can really get to the rim and his defense is worth the price of admission. His one big downfall IMO is that he sometimes takes way too long to come down Fter he jumps. :D

Robertson was really good. I think he only took one bad shot and didn’t do very much wrong at all. He is special. He hit about a 25 footer some just kinda looked like oh wow but to myself I’m like...that’s his 4th grade range. Then he hit a 28 and 29 footer. Missed a couple long ones that rattled in and out. He created some and held his own well enough on defense.

Waverly needs another shooter but they have 9-10 really good defensive players. Dunn and Shoemaker were very good off bench. Shoemaker will test your patience and is a strong player at the guard position. Marquez is Mr. Solid. Great body control in traffic and always where he supposed to be. Wolfe gonna get more and more basketbally as the season goes. A fun team to watch.

Athens is an interesting team but I’ve seen them a bit more as a group. Hynes was their player tonight. Tremendous body control and once he gets it deep it’s 2 points. Butcher has always had trouble getting the tough fouls. He does a lot of things well and this Athens team needs him out there. Didn’t score much tonight. Chubb is a big guard and maybe my favorite kid out there on the court but he had trouble tonight despite playing very hard. He’s going to have some big games and cause a lot of problems for others. Maxfield didn’t get into this game as well as normal. Waverly is a tough matchup th first time you face them. Maxfield a top player but wasn’t a big factor tonight. Williams lightning fast but had trouble with getting a bit out of control and couldn’t finish. Remington actually sped him a bit faster than he can finish. Needed him to get down court though and he was on sideline a lot in 2nd half. Athens has a nice shooter and a quick guard defender on bench and a good big also. They’ll have a great season...tough opening weekend.
Nice post!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:59 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:46 pm Good game...what I expected. Two very good SE District basketball teams. Waverly I thought played very well for 8 players deep and I thought the 6’4 freshman Futhey came in and played about 3-4 active minutes for a solid 9th guy.

Nice post!
Thank You...enjoyable game

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

It sure was.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

You watching the Piketon game Ironman?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:02 pm You watching the Piketon game Ironman?
No

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:45 pm Lol best inbounds pass ever
Unbelievable pass almost a full court bounce pass from out of bounds

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:16 pm
mlittle wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:02 pm You watching the Piketon game Ironman?
No
Piketon up by ten at halftime

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

TIGER#27 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm
Through a very small gap of two Athens players....65 mph about 5 feet high max and didn’t hit court until 65 feet away and had back spin and stuck a bit for player to catch up. It was crazy.

traf1
Varsity

Post by traf1 »

SportsRule wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:50 pm Despite their second setback in as many days, the Bulldogs have a lot of wins left on their schedule.
Of course they do playing in the TVC

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:36 pm
TIGER#27 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm
Through a very small gap of two Athens players....65 mph about 5 feet high max and didn’t hit court until 65 feet away and had back spin and stuck a bit for player to catch up. It was crazy.
Would love to see that on video..... It was something.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Great first game for waverly. Proud of Cody. He has been in the gym every day and really prides himself on defense and defensive pressure and playing it for 32 minutes. He has great teammates to play with. They are all bulldogs and will be very tough to beat this year. Trey is special. If he stays healthy he is going to be an awesome high school player and bring a lot of attention to this area. Wish OU was paying attention!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Looking forward to reading pfloyds napkin stats on this one. I think the Tigers impressed him.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Athens now 0-2. Guess they are not as good as some thought.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

traf1 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:42 pm
SportsRule wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:50 pm Despite their second setback in as many days, the Bulldogs have a lot of wins left on their schedule.
Of course they do playing in the TVC
They do playing??? Speak English much?

Return to “Boys Basketball”