Possible POY in TVC

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Possible POY in TVC

Post by thebarlowbandit »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 pm Naylan Yates, because, of what I call, lovingly, his red-shirt, has done wonderful things for him. First, and foremost, he had enjoyed wonderful careers in football and basketball. If he had chose to play baseball, he would have put stellar years together for that sport as well. However, he re-wrote two history books with his records in football and basketball, and will be a Vinton County Athletic Hall of Famer in the very near future.

But, I will say that had nothing to do with his age, he was same athlete at 15 that he is at 19, but what it does have to do with it, is his work ethic. The young man worked his tail off, hundreds of trips to ApPrep in Chillicothe, being in the gym shooting basketballs, throwing routes to his brother and teammates, and most importantly, watching what he put into his body. He does not drink soda, his does not eat high sugar and/or process foods, he pays attention to his nutrition which is extremely rare for a kid his age.

He is also a 4.0 student, academically, his red-shirt year helped. Because of this, he could take the "preferred walk-on" position at Ohio University. He turned down several DII offers so that he could be near his family and reach his goal.

He had a goal in middle-school, he knew what it would take to get there, and he did it. He wanted to be a DI athlete, and he wanted to go to medical school, and he wanted to get it paid for, how was he going to do that? Just the way he did.

Now that he is a part of the Bobcat family, they have no idea of what, or who they are getting. He will be all-in, he will continue to work his tail off, he will get better, and I would not be surprised if he is not breaking records at Ohio University. If not, he will still be Dr. Yates.
+1 and an AMEN. Good young man, who has proven to be not only a talent, but also a good member of the Vinton County family.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Its official Yates is the POY and Combs COY.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Sorry--Mr. Jake Speakman should had at least a share of POY-- he was the glue to the team. I was told by someone at the sports banquet last night at Vinton Co, that it was said Naylan set school record most threes--just wonder how many did he take? and what was his% rate for makes, had to be under 25%---does anyone know?

notsurprised
Waterboy

Post by notsurprised »

Vinton County Basketball
2018 Senior Class
3 time TVC Champs
3 time Sectional Champs
2 Time District Champs
1 Time Regional Runner Up
All TVC
Matt Combs- Coach of the Year
Naylan Yates- Also TVC Player of the Year- 1st Team All District
Jake Speakman- Also 2nd Team All District
Bryce Damron
Nevan Yates
Great run Seniors! Congratulations on Great careers!

Oldtimer1
Waterboy

Post by Oldtimer1 »

At the banquet I believe it was announced that Speakman was first team and Yates was second team? There was a post that had it switched around. Is there 2 list?

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Oldtimer1 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:48 pm At the banquet I believe it was announced that Speakman was first team and Yates was second team? There was a post that had it switched around. Is there 2 list?
There is the District 13 Coaches Association list, and the AP list. I haven't seen either one, so I don't know for sure.
vcgrad wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:37 am Sorry--Mr. Jake Speakman should had at least a share of POY-- he was the glue to the team. I was told by someone at the sports banquet last night at Vinton Co, that it was said Naylan set school record most threes--just wonder how many did he take? and what was his% rate for makes, had to be under 25%---does anyone know?
The POY was selected by the coaches. Unfortunately, no two from the same school has ever shared POY. Athens tried to make this a strong argument when they had Burrow and Williams in football, their senior year. It didn't happen then.

Naylan holds two records, for most threes in a season, 87, breaking the old mark of 70, and the most threes in a career, 175. I know the answer to the percentage question and I will keep it to myself, I am tired of embarrassing you.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Who's leading?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Kearns from Alex, Baer from Meigs, Toss up between Maxfield and Chubb from Athens. Front runners IMO

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:14 pm Kearns from Alex, Baer from Meigs, Toss up between Maxfield and Chubb from Athens. Front runners IMO
I don’t see a ton of Athens but when I do Hynes is the guy killing the other team

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

mattash wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:46 pmWho's leading?
Maxfield

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

NOBODY IS IN THE LEAD.

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

If Athens wins the conference it will go to probably go to a Bulldog. If I were picking now, Chubb or Hines would be my choice or POY, even though when the Dogs are really clicking is when Williams and Butcher are playing well.

Kearns if the Spartans win

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Meigs will not finish high enough in the league, if they did, Weston Baer would be my pick.

Johnstown
Riding the Bench

Post by Johnstown »

Athens- Butcher is playing simply fantastic. He and Kerns are the leagues best hands down. Chubb having a very good year I am a huge Elijah Williams fan. Raider was right last season the fellow is fantastic.. The Big H playing hard every night. Hats off to coaching staff. 15 and 3 since they were forced to make changes last season.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Johnstown wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:16 pm Athens- Butcher is playing simply fantastic. He and Kerns are the leagues best hands down. Chubb having a very good year I am a huge Elijah Williams fan. Raider was right last season the fellow is fantastic.. The Big H playing hard every night. Hats off to coaching staff. 15 and 3 since they were forced to make changes last season.
If we are assuming it will be an Athens player then It is hard for Maxfield to not be considered along. The kid is always one of there top scorers if not the scorer in a lot of games. Also his hustle is out matched. Lastly, does that Kidd ever come off the court? He seems to be more all around solid. I have seen multiple comments in the paper or articles about game winning steals and being more athletically ready this year to compete. He seems to be the glue that holds that team together at times.

I can’t see Butcher is there yet. He had the one big game against Nelsonville but is constantly being pulled off the floor. Technicals, foul trouble or just taking bad shots. Don’t get me wrong. When he’s on he’s on, but from the score line from the paper, I’ve only seen him at the top one time.

Hynes is solid but struggled until the last two games. Especially at the free throw line. He puts that together and then he’s a contender. I look for him to be a bigger part of the offense.

Chubb is coming along now as well but struggled a ton at the beginning. If he continues on his hot streak then it will be a close race to the end provided they keep winning.

If we are talking others, i think it will depend on how Kearns performs against Athens in the second match up and if continues to put together a solid season. I listened to the game on the radio and he sounded like he couldn’t miss.

Baer will have to have strong showings against Athens, Vinton and Alexander to get that vote i would think. Solid player though.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:50 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:14 pm Kearns from Alex, Baer from Meigs, Toss up between Maxfield and Chubb from Athens. Front runners IMO
I don’t see a ton of Athens but when I do Hynes is the guy killing the other team
Anyone with Stats?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Remember defense doesn't matter when you are choosing POY. It's all about scoring. So your answer as to who is leading should be the leading scorer in TVC games from the team with the best record so far. Maybe 93Bulldog can help or Lukas Moore. They should have the statistics on who the leading scorer has been in the 4 TVC games so far.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

VisionQuest wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:46 pm Remember defense doesn't matter when you are choosing POY. It's all about scoring. So your answer as to who is leading should be the leading scorer in TVC games from the team with the best record so far. Maybe 93Bulldog can help or Lukas Moore. They should have the statistics on who the leading scorer has been in the 4 TVC games so far.
Political they are.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I would be interested to see the game stats for Gavin Arbaugh for Vinton County (he had 20 vs Alexander) ... Maxfield/Hynes/Chubb for Athens ... Alexander (JK Kearns) ... in the games I have seen I would give the early edge to JK Kearns as he does so much with the ball in his hands from the get go - scores it at the rim/in the paint and on the perimeter ... breaks down pressure with his ball handling ... gets everyone else involved with his assists ... the young man does it all and does it all well ... but it is a long season only a few weeks in the books ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

It's not all about scoring.
Jack Hart won POY for Alex awhile back. Kid was not an offensive threat by any means.

Return to “Boys Basketball”