Pike County Holiday Classic

Sports-nut
JV Team

Re: Pike County Holiday Classic

Post by Sports-nut »

greygoose wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:55 pm I'm curious because I don't believe the holiday classic has ever been hosted by another school, so does the 4 county schools split the money in some fashion??
Yes the money is payed to each school but if you seen the crowds you’d know why it is played at Hawhee’s Palace.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Sports-nut wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:25 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:55 pm I'm curious because I don't believe the holiday classic has ever been hosted by another school, so does the 4 county schools split the money in some fashion??
Yes the money is payed to each school but if you seen the crowds you’d know why it is played at Hawhee’s Palace.
And the fact it is still the Waverly Holiday Classic. I’m not sure that has changed.
It wasnt always the 4 County Schools.
Would love to see the entire history of the Classic, not just dating back to when it became the 4 County Schools playing in it.

LIGHTSOUT
Riding the Bench

Post by LIGHTSOUT »

I took in the entire tournament this year.. something I haven't done in a while. I believe all predictions are thrown out the window in the county tournament, anything can happen which makes it even more exciting. The only thing I have been puzzled over is why Waverly would have their hall of fame stuff then. I didn't enjoy it and really don't think the entire county wants to be subject to that. It was a giant cluster, in my opinion. I think that is something they should do at their own individual event. Again, IMO.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LIGHTSOUT wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:25 pm I took in the entire tournament this year.. something I haven't done in a while. I believe all predictions are thrown out the window in the county tournament, anything can happen which makes it even more exciting. The only thing I have been puzzled over is why Waverly would have their hall of fame stuff then. I didn't enjoy it and really don't think the entire county wants to be subject to that. It was a giant cluster, in my opinion. I think that is something they should do at their own individual event. Again, IMO.
It is a strange time IMO

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Hmmmm .... I have a question. So Waverly host their Hall of Fame Inductions at the Classic?

So they allowed all the honorees and family into the Classic free then they split the gate up? So the inductions are for one school (Waverly) but it cost the other schools money in revenue. Is that what I’m hearing??

WHSgrad2000
Riding the Bench

Post by WHSgrad2000 »

Before it became a county tournament it was I believe 4 games in one day. Started at 2pm, then a game at 4pm, game at 6 pm and the nightcap at 8pm always featured Waverly. I know the tip-off classic was like that and I may be confusing the two events. I want to say one year they played Hamilton Twp. when Gary Trent played for them, but that may have been a tip-off classic.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

smurray wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:20 pm
Sports-nut wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:25 pm
And the fact it is still the Waverly Holiday Classic. I’m not sure that has changed.
It wasnt always the 4 County Schools.
Would love to see the entire history of the Classic, not just dating back to when it became the 4 County Schools playing in it.
There was a time in the late 80’s/early 90’s that it was Waverly and a hodgepodge of schools. I know that Southeastern and Chillicothe played against each other in it a couple of times.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:56 pm Hmmmm .... I have a question. So Waverly host their Hall of Fame Inductions at the Classic?

So they allowed all the honorees and family into the Classic free then they split the gate up? So the inductions are for one school (Waverly) but it cost the other schools money in revenue. Is that what I’m hearing??
Should Waverly deduct everything it takes to run this event from the gate they split with the other schools?
Waverly hosts this event and I’m not aware the other schools help pay for what it takes to run it, and it is still the Waverly Holiday Classic from what I know and understand. The other schools should be glad they receive a portion of the gate.
There is no “Pike County Tournament” Association or Committee or group that organizes this event that I’m aware of - its Waverly that organizes and hosts it.
I’m not speaking for the School or anyone associated with the school and I may be wrong, so someone who knows different can correct me.

As for the Hall Of Fame, I see both sides. This Waverly Holiday Classic is during the Christmas/New Years break when the biggest majority of inductees can arrange to be there. I also see and have heard the displeasure from folks not from Waverly who don’t want to sit through it.
I go back to this being an event Waverly prepares, organizes, hosts, runs. I’m sure if one of the Schools dont like it they can voice their concerns to the Administration. If that hasn’t been done I dont know why people want to get on this site and run it down. The downtown Arena (still the best facility around) is jam packed every year for this event which tells me something.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:53 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:56 pm Hmmmm .... I have a question. So Waverly host their Hall of Fame Inductions at the Classic?

Should Waverly deduct everything it takes to run this event from the gate they split with the other schools?
Waverly hosts this event and I’m not aware the other schools help pay for what it takes to run it, and it is still the Waverly Holiday Classic from what I know and understand. The other schools should be glad they receive a portion of the gate.
There is no “Pike County Tournament” Association or Committee or group that organizes this event that I’m aware of - its Waverly that organizes and hosts it.
I’m not speaking for the School or anyone associated with the school and I may be wrong, so someone who knows different can correct me.

As for the Hall Of Fame, I see both sides. This Waverly Holiday Classic is during the Christmas/New Years break when the biggest majority of inductees can arrange to be there. I also see and have heard the displeasure from folks not from Waverly who don’t want to sit through it.
I go back to this being an event Waverly prepares, organizes, hosts, runs. I’m sure if one of the Schools dont like it they can voice their concerns to the Administration. If that hasn’t been done I dont know why people want to get on this site and run it down. The downtown Arena (still the best facility around) is jam packed every year for this event which tells me something.
It hasn’t killed anyone yet to sit through a couple minute ceremony where a school honors its storied athletes. I think it’s great they do it during the classic. It gives the athletes an opportunity to be recognized in front of a big crowd. I for one love hearing some of the history of our local athletes.

Sincerely,
A Piketon grad

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:35 pm

It hasn’t killed anyone yet to sit through a couple minute ceremony where a school honors its storied athletes. I think it’s great they do it during the classic. It gives the athletes an opportunity to be recognized in front of a big crowd. I for one love hearing some of the history of our local athletes.

Sincerely,
A Piketon grad
Gonna need proof of that diploma

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:41 pm

Sincerely,
A Piketon grad
Just go to the thread and check my math for paying parking at Jackson and that should be all the proof you need that I graduated from Piketon.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:44 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:41 pm

Sincerely,
A Piketon grad
Just go to the thread and check my math for paying parking at Jackson and that should be all the proof you need that I graduated from Piketon.
Lol

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

“The other schools should be glad they receive a portion of the Gate.” LOL!! I’m not sure Waverly Basketball demands that much respect from the other county schools.

Another Question: Do the 3 other schools give up a home game in order to play in this Classic? It sounds like the other schools are making a lot of money for Waverly while getting little in return. It might be a wise idea financially for the other schools to just schedule another home game and move on!!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm “The other schools should be glad they receive a portion of the Gate.” LOL!! I’m not sure Waverly Basketball demands that much respect from the other county schools.

Another Question: Do the 3 other schools give up a home game in order to play in this Classic? It sounds like the other schools are making a lot of money for Waverly while getting little in return. It might be a wise idea financially for the other schools to just schedule another home game and move on!!
Since when is High school basketball a business for making profit? These kids are all getting to experience an atmosphere and tournament that can’t be replaced with another home game. That being said it would make sense for the tournament to rotate schools each year

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm “The other schools should be glad they receive a portion of the Gate.” LOL!! I’m not sure Waverly Basketball demands that much respect from the other county schools.

While the other schools receive a split of the gate, why should they expect any of it? I really dont understand the logic here.
Does Chesapeake give every school playing in the Beast of the Southeast an equal split of the gate?
Does Zane Trace give every school participating in the Tip Off Classic an equal split of the gate?
Does Ironton give every team playing in the Classic held there an equal split of the gate?
That’s just three I thought of in span it took me to read your post.

Oh, I just thought of it - Did Piketon give every school playing in the “Classic” (dont know exactly what it was called) an equal split of the gate?

I dont know the answer to those 4 events so find out and get back with me...........

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mlittle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:07 pm

Since when is High school basketball a business for making profit? These kids are all getting to experience an atmosphere and tournament that can’t be replaced with another home game. That being said it would make sense for the tournament to rotate schools each year
If it is no longer the Waverly Holiday Classic and is now the Pike County Tournament (planned, scheduled, organized, hosted and ran by all 4 schools) and everyone is so concerned about Waverly making a ton of money from it - it would be a great idea to rotate schools and see how much each school makes on the gate after 4 years..... I guarantee you the other 3 schools wont make what they are now. If the gate is split now, that wouldnt change. How many fans can you get in Western, in Eastern? More in Piketon but no where near what you can get in Waverly.

I’d venture to say there aren’t any of these schools voicing these same complaints.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Ever since high school basketball programs have to pay for athletes to experience those great events. Uniforms, equipment, training equipment, etc., don’t pay for themselves. The reality of it is if one school is benefitting at the expense of other schools’ fan bases than that is not a wise decision by the other schools.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:28 pm Ever since high school basketball programs have to pay for athletes to experience those great events. Uniforms, equipment, training equipment, etc., don’t pay for themselves. The reality of it is if one school is benefitting at the expense of other schools’ fan bases than that is not a wise decision by the other schools.
So never play road games?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:35 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:28 pm Ever since high school basketball programs have to pay for athletes to experience those great events. Uniforms, equipment, training equipment, etc., don’t pay for themselves. The reality of it is if one school is benefitting at the expense of other schools’ fan bases than that is not a wise decision by the other schools.
So never play road games?
Right, I dont understand this at all....... they are splitting the gate.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Do the same schools participate in the Ironton Classic every year? Do the same schools participate in the ZT Classic every year? Chesapeake? Piketon? I don’t know the answers to those questions so find out and get back with me ..........

Better yet when you find out about all those “1 Game Events” (You gave examples of 1 Game events not tournaments) ask if the teams participating in them gave up a home game to participate in those.

My point from the beginning was it’s crazy for the other schools to participate under the setup they were describing. But if the other school are “OK” with it than good for Waverly. They are making out!

Return to “Boys Basketball”