2019 Wheelersburg Pirates

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: 2019 Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by greygoose »

Otto wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:17 pm Looks like the hero of the anti-Burg crowd, Madison's coach Poff, is stepping down from coaching.
https://www.journal-news.com/sports/pre ... dNtf9E5OJ/

Apparently he's still salty about Burg football and the Burg community from this interview following his decision to leave:
https://www.journal-news.com/sports/res ... yRbneSzOI/
He's getting out while the getting is good, he loses a bunch of talent. Probably find himself coaching elsewhere sooner than you think

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:09 pm
Otto wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:17 pm Looks like the hero of the anti-Burg crowd, Madison's coach Poff, is stepping down from coaching.

Apparently he's still salty about Burg football and the Burg community from this interview following his decision to leave:
He's getting out while the getting is good, he loses a bunch of talent. Probably find himself coaching elsewhere sooner than you think
I would agree. He's a good coach, so I'm sure he will land somewhere.

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

Why wouldn't he be salty? He believes his team was cheated and alot of people outside the Wheelersburg school district believes they were too. Especially after the way Wheelersburg played the following week against a team that wasn't as physically gifted as Madison was.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Cato wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:29 pm Why wouldn't he be salty? He believes his team was cheated and alot of people outside the Wheelersburg school district believes they were too. Especially after the way Wheelersburg played the following week against a team that wasn't as physically gifted as Madison was.

Do you really know who coach Woodward is? Because if you did, you would know you’d be talking out of your wrong hole.
Last edited by wobycat on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ravensfan09 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:54 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:09 pm

I would agree. He's a good coach, so I'm sure he will land somewhere.
The guy is a terrible coach. No one ever heard of anything from him until these last two seasons. Last year he walked inside the burgs locker, and then this year accused him of cheating. Ran a pee wee style offense and was lucky to have four grown men on the front four. Guy is getting out because he’s going to be now accountable to win. If you watched his team warm up, you’d know that ain’t happening

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

wobycat wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 pm
Cato wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:29 pm Why wouldn't he be salty? He believes his team was cheated and alot of people outside the Wheelersburg school district believes they were too. Especially after the way Wheelersburg played the following week against a team that wasn't as physically gifted as Madison was.

Do you really know who coach Woodward is? Because if you did, you would know you’d be talking out of your wrong hole.
What he should do is not put himself or his team in a situation to be criticized. I've talked to people and players who have been associated with Wheelersburg in the last 5 years and the common response when asked if they believe this stuff was possible is a yes. Off course you're gonna say different and that's fine. Don't have people associated with your team on the other team's sideline. Clean up your locker room. Don't turn a blind eye things to give Wheelersburg a competitive advantage.

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

wobycat wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:49 pm
The guy is a terrible coach. No one ever heard of anything from him until these last two seasons. Last year he walked inside the burgs locker, and then this year accused him of cheating. Ran a pee wee style offense and was lucky to have four grown men on the front four. Guy is getting out because he’s going to be now accountable to win. If you watched his team warm up, you’d know that ain’t happening
How is he a terrible coach? In 5 years he took a team that hadn't won anything and made them a winner. Wheelersburg was concerned all season about Madison based on last year's game and expected a rematch. Madison easily could've won in 2017 and came with 4 yards or a referee that didn't get out of the way from tying the game up this year. The wing T is a great offense ran by many teams for years. Johnstown ran the ball at will against Wheelersburg and threw one pass. While Wheelersburg couldn't move the ball with better players throwing it allover the field. Does that make Woodward a bad coach?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Madison ran the same offense before Poff came along and were a perennial 5-5, 6-4 team. The seniors he had this year were a special group of athletes that doesn’t come around much. That’s why they were successful. Madison could of should of...but they didn’t. They lost fair and square just like The Burg lost fair and square to Johnstown. Johnstown outplayed Burg just like Burg outplayed Madison. It’s that simple and no need to make anything more of it. Cato seems to have a deep grudge against Burg and takes ANY rumor or innuendo as fact.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Madison was outplayed by Burg for sure. Johnstown outplayed Burg. It happens. The garbage about the sideline was just that.....garbage.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

This issue keeps coming up and yet no one has shown any credibility proof that there was any wrongdoing.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Cato wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:10 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:46 pm

What he should do is not put himself or his team in a situation to be criticized. I've talked to people and players who have been associated with Wheelersburg in the last 5 years and the common response when asked if they believe this stuff was possible is a yes. Off course you're gonna say different and that's fine. Don't have people associated with your team on the other team's sideline. Clean up your locker room. Don't turn a blind eye things to give Wheelersburg a competitive advantage.
Again you have no idea who you’re talking about. The man is a farm kid from a well respected family inGallia County. Has a masters degree in teaching. Hes been coaching for the past 10 years with essentially the same staff. His winning percentage is probably in the top 10 in the state. He has led the pirates to the last 6 Regionals winning three and a state championship. He is about as by the book as one can get. And because some idiot thought that a cameraman who shoots videos was capable of relaying plays, on Madison’s best drive of the night mind you, to the burg staff, Coach Woodward’s integrity is now being questioned. You must’ve not talked to real burg people. I don’t have to defend it because there’s nothing to defend but I will come on here and back coach Woodward because I know better. If you truly knew him , you would too. But you’re using heresay to jump on the bandwagon of trying to tear down what is a great program.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Does anyone know how many yrs the week three and four deal with blazer and greenup is? I’d like to see them both stay on our schedule long term. I noticed on arbiter that we also have chillicothe on the regular season schedule in 2020

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Burg doesn't recruit... it's as simple as kids not wanting to lose and transferring and then telling their old buddies from other schools that they should come too. Burg has just been so much more successful than most other schools in the area, it's a simple concept.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

burgfella69 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:43 pm Burg doesn't recruit... it's as simple as kids not wanting to lose and transferring and then telling their old buddies from other schools that they should come too. Burg has just been so much more successful than most other schools in the area, it's a simple concept.
BOOM!!

I wouldn’t want my kid to bust his ass two a days in the 100+ heat to only win a couple games each season

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
7 come 11
Waterboy

Post by 7 come 11 »

Same thing was said about Itonton in the 80’s and 90’s including people from wheelersburg, now it’s happening to them they don’t like it but that’s how people talk but I do agree people wanna be around a winning program and will transfer or move into that teams district without being recruited

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

7 come 11 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:35 pm Same thing was said about Itonton in the 80’s and 90’s including people from wheelersburg, now it’s happening to them they don’t like it but that’s how people talk but I do agree people wanna be around a winning program and will transfer or move into that teams district without being recruited
I agree 100%. I wouldn’t want my kid playing for a losing program

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:41 pm
7 come 11 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:35 pm Same thing was said about Itonton in the 80’s and 90’s including people from wheelersburg, now it’s happening to them they don’t like it but that’s how people talk but I do agree people wanna be around a winning program and will transfer or move into that teams district without being recruited
I agree 100%. I wouldn’t want my kid playing for a losing program
Why not hope that your kid could help turn the program around? That's the way it should be!

7 come 11
Waterboy

Post by 7 come 11 »

That’s a good point but like I said every situation is different , for instance college have you looked at how much it cost to go? And if your son or daughter gets more looks and has more opportunity at a scholarship at a different school is that worth it?i really don’t know but you have to do what you think is best for your child

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

7 come 11 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:53 am That’s a good point but like I said every situation is different , for instance college have you looked at how much it cost to go? And if your son or daughter gets more looks and has more opportunity at a scholarship at a different school is that worth it?i really don’t know but you have to do what you think is best for your child
Parents put too much emphasis on "looks." Sports are supposed to be fun and enjoyable. Community and school pride should be at the forefront of high school sports. Why is it about "looks."

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:19 pm
burgfella69 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:43 pm Burg doesn't recruit... it's as simple as kids not wanting to lose and transferring and then telling their old buddies from other schools that they should come too. Burg has just been so much more successful than most other schools in the area, it's a simple concept.
BOOM!!

I wouldn’t want my kid to bust his ass two a days in the 100+ heat to only win a couple games each season
exactly. success is rare in this area and kids tend to wanna win games and make their high school days count considering 99% of them won't go collegiate.

Return to “Football”