Post by Abe Froman »

Let me fix this list for you.

Move number 4 Parents to number 1.

Delete rest of list.

svac83
SE

Re: The State of High School Sports

Post by svac83 »

Ironman I agree 100%. I set by parent all the time when my son played and didn’t play parents are a huge part of problem at all ages. And you can take a different approach then me and not be wrong that is not right for all families but parents a huge problem

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:35 pm
svac83 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm I am zero percent of my kids sporting issues. We have one rule in my house you honor your commitments you start a sport you finish it. You don’t want to do it next year find. When my kid is involved in a sport was different before high school but once he got to high school we didn’t really talk about that sport at home I might tell him he played well or good effort. But he had a coach and I stayed out of it and if he had a problem with a coach I had him take it up with athletic director not me.

During football season me and his coaches would not say 10 words all season. When he wrestled I would see the football coaches and we would sit and talk football for a hour.

When we wrestled over summer I coached him when wrestling season started I kept my opinion to myself.

Just my way of doing things
Good to hear...but doesn’t change my thought on it
I’ll never stop coaching my kids

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

svac83 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:42 pm Ironman I agree 100%. I set by parent all the time when my son played and didn’t play parents are a huge part of problem at all ages. And you can take a different approach then me and not be wrong that is not right for all families but parents a huge problem
I don’t care what time you are from. Parents are ALWAYS a problem. Always have been always will be. This isn’t some new anomaly

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’m not saying completely that parents are THE problem or bashing parents but personally I hold parents responsible for just about every darn thing that happens to be negative for a kid. If my kid gets pulled out of the game for offense I put blame to myself for no working hard enough wit my kid. That’s just me, when my kid fails I blame myself as a parent. My fault is I try to prepare my kid for every possible happening and having him ready. I take it to the far extreme...a lot of things kids need to learn on their own, but that’s one of my many faults....to go along with that I expect other parents to do more than they maybe should in prepping their kids for everything...and I have zero tolerance for parents that always take their kid’s side regardless of situation. Sometimes your kid is wrong...be a darn parent and not an attorney for your kid. So I didn’t throw that 90+% to insult every parent out there, I’m the extreme one end and my thoughts make that number high for me and that’s just my opinion, but that is how I feel.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I’m un insultable

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

svac83 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm I am zero percent of my kids sporting issues. We have one rule in my house you honor your commitments you start a sport you finish it. You don’t want to do it next year find. When my kid is involved in a sport was different before high school but once he got to high school we didn’t really talk about that sport at home I might tell him he played well or good effort. But he had a coach and I stayed out of it and if he had a problem with a coach I had him take it up with athletic director not me.

During football season me and his coaches would not say 10 words all season. When he wrestled I would see the football coaches and we would sit and talk football for a hour.

When we wrestled over summer I coached him when wrestling season started I kept my opinion to myself.

Just my way of doing things

Since my son graduated and no longer plays I have been a been a volunteer assistant in 4 different sports. I just didn’t feel comfortable putting my son going through the whole coaches son thing. It was his high school opinion not mine

This sounds like my parents and the old school way....And to be honest, it’s the better way. Good job sir. Well done. I’m serious.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

If parents concentrated on their kids getting a 3.5 in school and a 25 or so on the ACT, then the kid might get an academic scholarship. The 5-8 year old all star team doesn’t do anything for the kid or parents.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:33 pm 1. Youth sports are fine. Only thing I have issue with is there is too much emphasis on winning. Should be for development and learning the game. They’ll learn to “win” later.

2. Specialization isn’t new. Athletes have been eliminating other sports to get better and play the sport they actually enjoy instead of one their parents or peers pressure them to play.

3. Travel ball shouldn’t only be reserved for the better players who you think it will benefit. What if the backup you speak of actually has aspirations to be a starter? Should he not be afforded that opportunity? Or what if that kid just LOVES the game and since he is a backup he’s not getting enough minutes and this is his opportunity to play and enjoy the game.

4. Is rather parents be too involved than for them to not be involved at all.

5. Referees aren’t being thinned out due to people yelling at them from the stands. That’s been happening since the beginning of time and will never stop regardless of how good officials are. It’s part of the game and officials uunderstand that and actually expect it.

6. The reason transferring has been an issue is due to open enrollment. If open enrollment would have been this easy 50 years ago. Them 50 years ago people would’ve been complaining about transferring then. If a kid is good enough to not have to wait his turn or fill a role at another school and their home school doesn’t see it that way then they move. Nothing wrong with that at all
Good post and I agree with most of it just might tweek a thing here or there, ;) . The youth sports and the just win emphasis is a tough line to tote, you want to get all the kids the playing time you can as a coach but at the same time if you're losing or worse getting beat bad then you lose kids or they don't want to come out and play at all. So that line is very tough to walk. Travel ball I agree with you 100% because my son was invited to play AAU ball, however his basketball skills aren't quite on that level, but he wants to play with a couple friends and just enjoys the game. Who am I to sit there and tell him, no I just don't think you're good enough to play at that level?? That's not the kind of parent I aspire to be. There is some travel football out there and it has been mentioned to me but honestly on that one I'm not crazy about it they take enough hits as it is without adding to that. I'm very involved with coaching my kid and as well as others on different levels of football. So many times kids are simply dropped off and the parent might show up just before the end of practice or we're sitting around waiting for them to show back up like it's a baby sitting service. Referees about the only tweek on that one is they simply don't get paid enough per game, maybe not to put up with the yelling that'll always be the same. When you look at all the money that comes from their own pockets for uniform, gas, food, wear and tear on a vehicle the compensation just simply isn't enough to outweigh the other factors. Transferring I have no problem with, if a kid is unhappy I don't believe they should be kept in a situation that makes them miserable being there, only that young once. Now if someone is trying to transfer 2-3-4 times within a short time period now that's a different story. As far as college players and transferring sorry but as long as these coaches that make millions can bounce around from place to place I don't feel any kid should be locked into that college. Maybe he wanted to play for that specific coach, so if the coach leaves does that mean he's obligate to that school still? As they hire a new coach take on a new philosophy that doesn't fit the playing style of the player in question and the coach brings in guys that fit his offense or defense.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:10 pm I’m not saying completely that parents are THE problem or bashing parents but personally I hold parents responsible for just about every darn thing that happens to be negative for a kid. If my kid gets pulled out of the game for offense I put blame to myself for no working hard enough wit my kid. That’s just me, when my kid fails I blame myself as a parent. My fault is I try to prepare my kid for every possible happening and having him ready. I take it to the far extreme...a lot of things kids need to learn on their own, but that’s one of my many faults....to go along with that I expect other parents to do more than they maybe should in prepping their kids for everything...and I have zero tolerance for parents that always take their kid’s side regardless of situation. Sometimes your kid is wrong...be a darn parent and not an attorney for your kid. So I didn’t throw that 90+% to insult every parent out there, I’m the extreme one end and my thoughts make that number high for me and that’s just my opinion, but that is how I feel.
Thanks for the clarification, I was beginning to wonder. Because each kid and parent is different and I think we can all agree there's no set way that any of us should handle our kids. I like you're reasoning in terms of owning up that if your kid is lacking at this, then we just need to work on it more.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

E High wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 am If parents concentrated on their kids getting a 3.5 in school and a 25 or so on the ACT, then the kid might get an academic scholarship. The 5-8 year old all star team doesn’t do anything for the kid or parents.
Oh...I believe it does a little for a lot of parents

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:18 am
mlittle wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:33 pm 1. Youth sports are fine. Only thing I have issue with is there is too much emphasis on winning. Should be for development and learning the game. They’ll learn to “win” later.

2. Specialization isn’t new. Athletes have been eliminating other sports to get better and play the sport they actually enjoy instead of one their parents or peers pressure them to play.

3. Travel ball shouldn’t only be reserved for the better players who you think it will benefit. What if the backup you speak of actually has aspirations to be a starter? Should he not be afforded that opportunity? Or what if that kid just LOVES the game and since he is a backup he’s not getting enough minutes and this is his opportunity to play and enjoy the game.

4. Is rather parents be too involved than for them to not be involved at all.

5. Referees aren’t being thinned out due to people yelling at them from the stands. That’s been happening since the beginning of time and will never stop regardless of how good officials are. It’s part of the game and officials uunderstand that and actually expect it.

6. The reason transferring has been an issue is due to open enrollment. If open enrollment would have been this easy 50 years ago. Them 50 years ago people would’ve been complaining about transferring then. If a kid is good enough to not have to wait his turn or fill a role at another school and their home school doesn’t see it that way then they move. Nothing wrong with that at all
Good post and I agree with most of it just might tweek a thing here or there, ;) . The youth sports and the just win emphasis is a tough line to tote, you want to get all the kids the playing time you can as a coach but at the same time if you're losing or worse getting beat bad then you lose kids or they don't want to come out and play at all. So that line is very tough to walk. Travel ball I agree with you 100% because my son was invited to play AAU ball, however his basketball skills aren't quite on that level, but he wants to play with a couple friends and just enjoys the game. Who am I to sit there and tell him, no I just don't think you're good enough to play at that level?? That's not the kind of parent I aspire to be. There is some travel football out there and it has been mentioned to me but honestly on that one I'm not crazy about it they take enough hits as it is without adding to that. I'm very involved with coaching my kid and as well as others on different levels of football. So many times kids are simply dropped off and the parent might show up just before the end of practice or we're sitting around waiting for them to show back up like it's a baby sitting service. Referees about the only tweek on that one is they simply don't get paid enough per game, maybe not to put up with the yelling that'll always be the same. When you look at all the money that comes from their own pockets for uniform, gas, food, wear and tear on a vehicle the compensation just simply isn't enough to outweigh the other factors. Transferring I have no problem with, if a kid is unhappy I don't believe they should be kept in a situation that makes them miserable being there, only that young once. Now if someone is trying to transfer 2-3-4 times within a short time period now that's a different story. As far as college players and transferring sorry but as long as these coaches that make millions can bounce around from place to place I don't feel any kid should be locked into that college. Maybe he wanted to play for that specific coach, so if the coach leaves does that mean he's obligate to that school still? As they hire a new coach take on a new philosophy that doesn't fit the playing style of the player in question and the coach brings in guys that fit his offense or defense.
Going a little deeper on my post about youth sports on the learning and development side. Like Ironman92 and woby stated, I do agree that the kids IQ May be suffering a bit due to just not playing playground ball enough. Not enough kids playing on their own without someone in their ear telling them every move to make. Sometimes they just need to figure it out themselves. I think they need a better combination of skill work and park ball. Too many kids with elite level ball handling but can’t hit a cutter with a pass or know how to react to a lot of common sense basketball stuff that you pick up during just regular 3v3 2v2 or 5v5 games at the park. A lot of these problems occur because of AAU. A lot of these 2,3,4, and 5th graders are traveling the country trying to get ranked and winning games instead of learning how to play.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I'm going to add this element to the basketball side. I really think Summer League Basketball is hurting the Regular H.S. Basketball Season. As a Ref, I hate officiating Summer Basketball. Teams go to these summer shootouts and play anywhere from 4-10 games per day. Granted they are not full games but none the less. After the first 2 games, players become tired and pick up bad habits. They foul anytime a player beats them on the dribble with no consequence for fouling. I was officiating a team one time that had to have fouled 20-30 times in a 15 minute running clock half. One player had 10 fouls himself. Also, not much offense but motion offense and a lot of 1 on 1. Then throw in Camps where teams play 15-20 games per day! A lot of fundamentals go out the gym in these types of environments. (Now step into the Winter Reg. Season H.S. game) What do we see? Lack of Fundamentals and A lot of Fouling. Also, summer they very rarely shoot free throws so Winter Free Throws there are a lot of misses! Just my take on the what I see.

I do agree, there are some stupid people that sit in the stands! LOL Parents included!

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Everyone has made good points in this discussion. Like most, I agree with many of the points. Having played, coached, officiated, and organized youth, HS, and college sports, I think the current state of HS sports is influenced mostly because of media. Social and network media has grown so ridiculously over the last 30 years that it is where we all go for news, both young and old. Think about it, kids try to emulate what they see. Parents, like me, grew up in the 80's as a teenager. I remember watching 3 channels on TV and being bored so we went outside to play with friends. Video games, MTV and ESPN came along and we were exposed to another totally different world. Play time outside declined for us and now with having access to media in your hand, kids don't want to work either. That is one way, in my opinion, that skill has deteriorated. No reps on your own or on the playground equals less creativity.

Now transition that into the instant gratification that kids get today with media and the lifestyles that they see from the entertainment industry. Overnight internet fame, Top 10 video highlights, and now college scholarships for video games...ugh. Parents are included in this instant gratification phase too, just not to the degree that the kids are. Parents have always been an issue but I do believe they are getting worse. The entitlement generation is here because of what the media tells us parents we should be doing. Don't hurt their feelings, everyone gets a trophy, baby them so much that they can't live without instant success and gratification. Media is the catalyst that has fueled all of the talking points brought up. How has media affected each of the talking points. Were these points problems in the past? Yes, mostly. But they are hightened now because we hear more about them, see more because of them.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

BobcatQB wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:37 am Everyone has made good points in this discussion. Like most, I agree with many of the points. Having played, coached, officiated, and organized youth, HS, and college sports, I think the current state of HS sports is influenced mostly because of media. Social and network media has grown so ridiculously over the last 30 years that it is where we all go for news, both young and old. Think about it, kids try to emulate what they see. Parents, like me, grew up in the 80's as a teenager. I remember watching 3 channels on TV and being bored so we went outside to play with friends. Video games, MTV and ESPN came along and we were exposed to another totally different world. Play time outside declined for us and now with having access to media in your hand, kids don't want to work either. That is one way, in my opinion, that skill has deteriorated. No reps on your own or on the playground equals less creativity.

Now transition that into the instant gratification that kids get today with media and the lifestyles that they see from the entertainment industry. Overnight internet fame, Top 10 video highlights, and now college scholarships for video games...ugh. Parents are included in this instant gratification phase too, just not to the degree that the kids are. Parents have always been an issue but I do believe they are getting worse. The entitlement generation is here because of what the media tells us parents we should be doing. Don't hurt their feelings, everyone gets a trophy, baby them so much that they can't live without instant success and gratification. Media is the catalyst that has fueled all of the talking points brought up. How has media affected each of the talking points. Were these points problems in the past? Yes, mostly. But they are hightened now because we hear more about them, see more because of them.
Shaq said it best several years ago. He said “sports center ruined the fundamentals of the game.”

I agree completely with the post I think it gets overlooked a lot because everyone wants to always point the finger at the parents. Parents should have the biggest influence on a child’s life, but they aren’t the only influence.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been at an AAU game and a kid does some crazy move, the defender falls down and the gym implodes with oooohs and ahhhhhs and the kid misses the rim by 3 feet and air balls it out of bounds. The crowd is still going crazy over the move, kids literally trying to storm the court. Then the player that just shot the air ball running down the court talking trash and smiling from ear to ear like he just hit the game winner. But that’s whats happening. That kids team loses by 30 who cares. Imma be on you tube later

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

mlittle wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:48 am
BobcatQB wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:37 am Everyone has made good points in this discussion. Like most, I agree with many of the points. Having played, coached, officiated, and organized youth, HS, and college sports, I think the current state of HS sports is influenced mostly because of media. Social and network media has grown so ridiculously over the last 30 years that it is where we all go for news, both young and old. Think about it, kids try to emulate what they see. Parents, like me, grew up in the 80's as a teenager. I remember watching 3 channels on TV and being bored so we went outside to play with friends. Video games, MTV and ESPN came along and we were exposed to another totally different world. Play time outside declined for us and now with having access to media in your hand, kids don't want to work either. That is one way, in my opinion, that skill has deteriorated. No reps on your own or on the playground equals less creativity.

Shaq said it best several years ago. He said “sports center ruined the fundamentals of the game.”

I agree completely with the post I think it gets overlooked a lot because everyone wants to always point the finger at the parents. Parents should have the biggest influence on a child’s life, but they aren’t the only influence.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been at an AAU game and a kid does some crazy move, the defender falls down and the gym implodes with oooohs and ahhhhhs and the kid misses the rim by 3 feet and air balls it out of bounds. The crowd is still going crazy over the move, kids literally trying to storm the court. Then the player that just shot the air ball running down the court talking trash and smiling from ear to ear like he just hit the game winner. But that’s whats happening. That kids team loses by 30 who cares. Imma be on you tube later

Exactly. Isn't that ridiculous?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

BobcatQB wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 am
mlittle wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:48 am

Exactly. Isn't that ridiculous?
It’s pretty wild! I get a good laugh from it.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

I want to jump in and make a comment on travel ball. I have watched hundreds of OYB and AAU games . At first I thought this is great . You play high level teams to better your game . About 5 years ago my opinion changed . Do not get me wrong playing better competition will improve your game . There is so many shootouts and and games . Players are loosing the focus of team play . Players ( influence by parents ) are becoming a one on one type player . They get this I'm the star and no one on the team is better than I attitude which is carried back to their High School team . High School Coaches and players have to deal with this and because of this many good High School teams never reach their true potential . I have watched hundreds of High School game and it's evident that certain players play for them selves with that AAU attitude . Coaches get a grip on your programs and make it a team sport again.

Big Bob
Waterboy

Post by Big Bob »

All of the things being discussed on here definitely pertain to the problems of HS sports. I think you can add the ESPNization of kids as well. It's all about the highlights, it's all about 'ME' instead of the team. Very few kids are going to be making a living playing sports, but they act like they're the next LeBron James or Bryce Harper. Things I specifically hate to see are the overbearing parent and the abuse of social media by kids/parents, and the ease of transferring from school to school. But I'm an old fart stuck in my ways.

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Truth&fiction wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 am I want to jump in and make a comment on travel ball. I have watched hundreds of OYB and AAU games . At first I thought this is great . You play high level teams to better your game . About 5 years ago my opinion changed . Do not get me wrong playing better competition will improve your game . There is so many shootouts and and games . Players are loosing the focus of team play . Players ( influence by parents ) are becoming a one on one type player . They get this I'm the star and no one on the team is better than I attitude which is carried back to their High School team . High School Coaches and players have to deal with this and because of this many good High School teams never reach their true potential . I have watched hundreds of High School game and it's evident that certain players play for them selves with that AAU attitude . Coaches get a grip on your programs and make it a team sport again.
Agreed. However, it's a difficult balance for HS coaches since they don't have much control during AAU. Their players are not together but they want their players to get reps, even if it's AAU. They try to bring them back together in June for shootouts, etc..but IMO, this needs to go away too. Too much, basically year round bball.

Return to “Boys Basketball”