Alabama & Monongah WV

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Alabama & Monongah WV

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Hardscrabble roots, old school coaching, salt tablets and no water ( I remember those days also). After a loss to "AA" Ceredo-Kenova and Coach Carl Ward in 1967 and quarterbacking the 1968 State 'A' championship game against Paden City It's been all uphill and he's not done yet. Good article.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... re7IVpuaM8

* During my old high school days we scrimmaged C-K in 72' and they were good*

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Mister Bee
Varsity

Re: Alabama & Monongah WV

Post by Mister Bee »

Very good read. Thanks for sharing the link.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm Hardscrabble roots, old school coaching, salt tablets and no water ( I remember those days also). After a loss to "AA" Ceredo-Kenova and Coach Carl Ward in 1967 and quarterbacking the 1968 State 'A' championship game against Paden City It's been all uphill and he's not done yet. Good article.

Yeah, the C-K Wonders were quite the power in their time and the tradition continues with Spring Valley. The Mon Valley coal towns are mostly gone, but the area gave us John McKay and Jimbo Fisher besides Saban.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Mister Bee wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 pm Very good read. Thanks for sharing the link.
You're welcome !!!!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Omega wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm Hardscrabble roots, old school coaching, salt tablets and no water ( I remember those days also). After a loss to "AA" Ceredo-Kenova and Coach Carl Ward in 1967 and quarterbacking the 1968 State 'A' championship game against Paden City It's been all uphill and he's not done yet. Good article.

Yeah, the C-K Wonders were quite the power in their time and the tradition continues with Spring Valley. The Mon Valley coal towns are mostly gone, but the area gave us John McKay and Jimbo Fisher besides Saban.
Yes Sir and can you imagine the uproar that would take place if a state championship game was played today on a field where It's raining and already a mud pit like the one they played on in this clip. They cancel games now where lightning and rain is 50 miles away. Times have sure changed.

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

Yes times have changed. Not only was the field a mud pit but it was a shared home field with other schools. AND Paden City was a football power at that time.

I remember Parkersburg South winning their state title a decade or so ago in an absolute mud pit at Wheeling Island Stadium and the uproar of the field conditions. But, the losing team complains the loudest. Winning is a great healer. Both teams play in the same conditions. Great coaches always have a plan B if plan A isn't working and sometimes plan B works and sometimes it doesn't.

Love him or hate him, Saban has to be the greatest college coach of my generation and possibly all time. JMHO.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Mister Bee wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 pm Yes times have changed. Not only was the field a mud pit but it was a shared home field with other schools. AND Paden City was a football power at that time.

I remember Parkersburg South winning their state title a decade or so ago in an absolute mud pit at Wheeling Island Stadium and the uproar of the field conditions. But, the losing team complains the loudest. Winning is a great healer. Both teams play in the same conditions. Great coaches always have a plan B if plan A isn't working and sometimes plan B works and sometimes it doesn't.

Love him or hate him, Saban has to be the greatest college coach of my generation and possibly all time. JMHO.
Till another young gunslinger unseats him someday. We'll see what Dabo does here in the next few years for starters because he is a keeper down there.

Return to “College Sports”