Athens (8-2) at Warren (7-3)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Athens (8-2) at Warren (7-3)

Post by 93Bulldog »

It was 36-33 after the 3rd Q
Warren has a deep bench and the press finally got to Athens in the 4th & fatigue set in. Talent wise, very similar teams.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Raider6309 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:44 pm Good learning experience for Williams. Without Williams, Athens really struggled to get in its offense and Warren pulled away in the 4th with him on the bench

Warren plays pretty good defense. They have come along way from the team that lost to Marietta
What do you mean that it was a great learning experience for Williams ? Did he get in foul trouble or something else ?

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Coaching plays a big part in high school---don't see Athens making a run in the post season--to many good teams and coaches in their sectional. Athens has a lot of talent--no leadership on or off the floor.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Bulldog93, listened from Brussels as I’m traveling for work, great job on the radio. Found it interesting that Athens record v school their size or larger. That is a pretty telling stat for tournament time.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 pm You obviously do not understand the Marietta rivalry or game.
Marietta is probably the one team no one wants to play come tournament time. Brutal schedule

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

Was hoping to have Pfloyds run down of the game before he runs down to Chesapeake for the day.

Old man
moorelukas
Riding the Bench

Post by moorelukas »

warrior90 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 pm Was not expecting a 16 point win.

BTW listened online and was really impressed with the call by the two announcers. 93Bulldog pass along my congrats to your partner. Excellent call and commentary tonight. Maybe you can give wmoa some pointers. you were more fair to warren than they are when they are calling games for warren.
I really appreciate the kind words, and am glad we could entertain you. I'm hoping these teams matchup again this season at the convo.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

moorelukas wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:26 am

BTW listened online and was really impressed with the call by the two announcers. 93Bulldog pass along my congrats to your partner. Excellent call and commentary tonight. Maybe you can give wmoa some pointers. you were more fair to warren than they are when they are calling games for warren.
I really appreciate the kind words, and am glad we could entertain you. I'm hoping these teams matchup again this season at the convo.
Be careful what you wish for...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 pm
moorelukas wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:26 am

Be careful what you wish for...
It would be a District Title game if they matched up there, so I don’t think anyone would be too upset with that time for a rematch

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

Truth&fiction wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:35 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:44 pm Good learning experience for Williams. Without Williams, Athens really struggled to get in its offense and Warren pulled away in the 4th with him on the bench

Warren plays pretty good defense. They have come along way from the team that lost to Marietta
Sounded like the Bulldogs had way to many TO . Sounded like Hynes started out strong but they went away from him in the 2nd half . Warren more patient on Offense . Out come surprised me .
I was surprised as well listening to it. The crowd in the background sounded very much into it. Warren seems very well coached and had the right game plan for the zone and 3-2 defense. I thought I heard Athens went to Man D. Has Athens played man to man all year? That seemed to be a bit out of their comfort zone. Going to be an interesting rematch @vinton next week.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Allthewayup11 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Sounded like the Bulldogs had way to many TO . Sounded like Hynes started out strong but they went away from him in the 2nd half . Warren more patient on Offense . Out come surprised me .
I was surprised as well listening to it. The crowd in the background sounded very much into it. Warren seems very well coached and had the right game plan for the zone and 3-2 defense. I thought I heard Athens went to Man D. Has Athens played man to man all year? That seemed to be a bit out of their comfort zone. Going to be an interesting rematch @vinton next week.
... when Athens came out and tried to play Man D in the 2nd half I felt like it was "advantage Warren" ... Athens stuck with the man 2 man D the entire second half ... not sure if it was a change of pace thinking that Warren had prepped for the 3-2 match-up/trapping zone that AHS usually plays (AND did the first 2 quarters) and wouldn't be AS prepared to go vs the man - I got nothing ... Warren's plays such so deliberately vs a man D, lots of cutting/picking etc. and Athens is not very deep to begin with - throw in the foul trouble before going to man D, going man made THAT situation worse as Athens could not guard the Warriors effectively in the man to man ...

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 pm
... when Athens came out and tried to play Man D in the 2nd half I felt like it was "advantage Warren" ... Athens stuck with the man 2 man D the entire second half ... not sure if it was a change of pace thinking that Warren had prepped for the 3-2 match-up/trapping zone that AHS usually plays (AND did the first 2 quarters) and wouldn't be AS prepared to go vs the man - I got nothing ... Warren's plays such so deliberately vs a man D, lots of cutting/picking etc. and Athens is not very deep to begin with - throw in the foul trouble before going to man D, going man made THAT situation worse as Athens could not guard the Warriors effectively in the man to man ...
There are reasons a team plays mostly Zone but when you are behind it's hard to catch up . A good shooting team that moves the ball will kill a zone no matter if it's 1-3-1, 2-3 or a 2-1-2. I always thought it was hard to go man if you were primarily a zone team but if you were a Man to Man team you could switch gears and go zone . Most Biddy Coaches like zone but it' better to teach the Man .IMO. Defensive stops do not show up in the stats but the end result shows up. Sounded like Warren was patient against the zone and picked their shots . Do I hear good coaching any where?

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:18 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 pm
There are reasons a team plays mostly Zone but when you are behind it's hard to catch up . A good shooting team that moves the ball will kill a zone no matter if it's 1-3-1, 2-3 or a 2-1-2. I always thought it was hard to go man if you were primarily a zone team but if you were a Man to Man team you could switch gears and go zone . Most Biddy Coaches like zone but it' better to teach the Man .IMO. Defensive stops do not show up in the stats but the end result shows up. Sounded like Warren was patient against the zone and picked their shots . Do I hear good coaching any where?
Game plan was pretty simple really. Play uptempo and force TOs hence full court press and man to man just like Waverly game, 32 TOs in Waverly game-25 TOs in Warren game. Be patient on Offense make good passes and take open shots. Get Athens in Foul trouble and take away some offensive threats. Game, set, match Warren.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Coaching?????

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

vcgrad wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:53 am Coaching?????
Of course coaching. Goes without saying. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Athens has some talent--just thought they would be one of the elite teams in SE Ohio this year. The TVC is so weak--thought they had a chance to take the league and the sectional and more---just don't see it happening this year.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

vcgrad wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:34 pm Athens has some talent--just thought they would be one of the elite teams in SE Ohio this year. The TVC is so weak--thought they had a chance to take the league and the sectional and more---just don't see it happening this year.
The whole D2 Regional is pretty winnable since just area schools. It’s like how D3 was for the last 30 years. Just have to beat the teams in your area to get to state.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Only a handful of d2 in Se Ohio-- Don't see any making it out of the convo-- Se basketball is down this year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”