SVC POY

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Re: SVC POY

Post by Spartan12 »

HamPorter wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:40 pm
wfballer23 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:44 pm From what I'm seeing Huntington has 2 league wins right now and Westfall is ahead of them with 3. 2 of the 3 wins for Westfall came against Huntington. McCloskey was out with an injury during the first lost to Westfall and fouled out during second lost against them. POY candidates make their team better. You would think if he is the best player in the league him playing in the second game there would have been a different outcome, especially against a team in the bottom half of a league of 8 teams with only 2 teams above .500.

Yes Cam is the best player on the best team. If the roles were reversed and Cam played for Huntington and McCloskey played for ZT would McCloskey be the best player on the best team? Would he start? What would Huntington's record be with Cam and not McCloskey?

At the end of the day everyone can play the 'what if' game. Facts are facts... Best player on best team... Cam gets my vote if I had one.
If you have to question if he would start on ZT, then I don’t know what you’ve been watching.

The “best player on the best team” argument shouldn’t matter, because Unioto only had a co-POY once in the past 3 years. It should be the best player, period. If you think it is Evans, there’s a good chance you’re correct. If you think it is McCloskey, you also have a good chance of being right. I don’t know which was is better, but I love watching both of them play and would be fine with either one winning.
“The best player on the best team “ shouldn’t matter however when your team is 2-8 in the league that should matter. I think Cam is the better player anyways.

acescoach
Waterboy

Post by acescoach »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 pm
Spartan12 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:50 am
cactus wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:05 am Cam Evans.

As good as McCloskey is, his team is 2-8 in the league. Sorry, but you can’t be POY when your team is 2-8.
I agree. I remember when the Huntington boy in 2001 scored more than 44 points in a game and didn’t win it because his team was poor. I think his name was JB Edwards? Jeran Cox from ZT won it that year playing for a team that won the gold ball. If Cam was on Huntington’s team he would average 30 ppg.
JB scored 51 in a tournament game. Wouldn’t have mattered for SVC play.
JB (26 ppg) scored 55 in the Sectional Semi's vs Ports West. It is a school & Ross County record for most points in a game. He was Gazette POY, Southeast District POY and 3rd Team All-State. Huntington finished 3rd in the league that season.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Great points by all. I do think Evans will win it based on what I have seen in the past.

McCloskey has to be the best at every aspect of the game for his team to be competitive. He guards the other teams best player and gets double teamed on offense. Evans can let Swain bring the ball up and guard the best guard on the other team. I say we let them play 1 v 1 for POY. HAHA

warrior1
Waterboy

Post by warrior1 »

I think when all of our Adena players are seniors we will have someone that will win this award and I think we will win the SVC. However, back to the POY point for this year. Another thing that really sticks out to me is the non league schedule that both of these schools play against and Cam Evans still has better numbers on a much better team. People, it does matter who you play even if your team is better. Look below at the different teams that they play. Cam Evans and Zane Trace have a much, much tougher schedule. The more I think about it I don't think its as close as most of you think. I personally like the Blanton kid from Piketon. He doesn't get any attention and the McCloskey gets a lot of attention. It almost reminds me of the Piketon young man last year that played on a pretty good team and didn't get a sniff at the POY. With that being said, Cam Evans 2018-2019 POY, IMO.

ZT- Non league Schedule
Hilliard Davidson
Chillicothe
Vinton County
Logan Elm
McClain
Johnstown Monroe
Gahanna Lincoln
Ironton

Huntington- Non League Schedule
Vinton County
Miller HS
Circleville
Notre Dame and they are not located in South Bend
Scioto Northwest
New Hope
Portsmouth Clay

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I don't know how this award could go to anyone not named Cam Evans this season.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Dragonfly
Waterboy

Post by Dragonfly »

I believe the POY/MVP is someone that leads in stats, makes their teammates better and wins. Cam Evans does all those things. POY - Evans, 1st team - McClosky and Blanton!!!!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Dragonfly wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:27 pm I believe the POY/MVP is someone that leads in stats, makes their teammates better and wins. Cam Evans does all those things. POY - Evans, 1st team - McClosky and Blanton!!!!
I think Evans will win it also. Could go either way tho. Outside the 3 you mentioned I believe the other two spots are wide open for the all league first team

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

wfballer23 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:44 pm From what I'm seeing Huntington has 2 league wins right now and Westfall is ahead of them with 3. 2 of the 3 wins for Westfall came against Huntington. McCloskey was out with an injury during the first lost to Westfall and fouled out during second lost against them. POY candidates make their team better. You would think if he is the best player in the league him playing in the second game there would have been a different outcome, especially against a team in the bottom half of a league of 8 teams with only 2 teams above .500.

Yes Cam is the best player on the best team. If the roles were reversed and Cam played for Huntington and McCloskey played for ZT would McCloskey be the best player on the best team? Would he start? What would Huntington's record be with Cam and not McCloskey?

At the end of the day everyone can play the 'what if' game. Facts are facts... Best player on best team... Cam gets my vote if I had one.
Facts are facts...he had over 30 I believe against Westfall the first time. Your argument on facts just crumbled on itself. Lol.

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Evans is the POY this season and barring an injury next year as well.

BlueDuck
Riding the Bench

Post by BlueDuck »

warrior1 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:02 pm I think when all of our Adena players are seniors we will have someone that will win this award and I think we will win the SVC. However, back to the POY point for this year. Another thing that really sticks out to me is the non league schedule that both of these schools play against and Cam Evans still has better numbers on a much better team. People, it does matter who you play even if your team is better. Look below at the different teams that they play. Cam Evans and Zane Trace have a much, much tougher schedule. The more I think about it I don't think its as close as most of you think. I personally like the Blanton kid from Piketon. He doesn't get any attention and the McCloskey gets a lot of attention. It almost reminds me of the Piketon young man last year that played on a pretty good team and didn't get a sniff at the POY. With that being said, Cam Evans 2018-2019 POY, IMO.

ZT- Non league Schedule
Hilliard Davidson
Chillicothe
Vinton County
Logan Elm
McClain
Johnstown Monroe
Gahanna Lincoln
Ironton

Huntington- Non League Schedule
Vinton County
Miller HS
Circleville
Notre Dame and they are not located in South Bend
Scioto Northwest
New Hope
Portsmouth Clay
:o Excellent point. Strength of scheduling difference is glaring.

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

Cam Evans put on an outstanding performance last night having 32 points again. I believe Huntington played Piketon and the Redstreaks won. How many points did Blanton have and how many did McClosky (spelling error) have?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Spartan12 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 pm Cam Evans put on an outstanding performance last night having 32 points again. I believe Huntington played Piketon and the Redstreaks won. How many points did Blanton have and how many did McClosky (spelling error) have?
Blanton 13
Mcclosky 11

Svcsportszone

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I made my newest point on this week's show.

Spoiler: I made a Secretariat at the Belmont reference about one of the players.

warrior1
Waterboy

Post by warrior1 »

mlittle wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:40 pm
Spartan12 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 pm Cam Evans put on an outstanding performance last night having 32 points again. I believe Huntington played Piketon and the Redstreaks won. How many points did Blanton have and how many did McClosky (spelling error) have?
Blanton 13
Mcclosky 11

Svcsportszone
yea, this sums it up for me. I heard Cam put on a show Saturday night. Sounds like the other two didn't . I believe the coaches will do the right thing and give it to the young man that deserves it. Cam Evans, hoping you and the other youngsters that will become first or second team are not reading these messages, but if you are there is no doubt you should be the SVC player of the year . If it doesn't happen then politics played a part in it. Let there be no misunderstanding.

warrior1
Waterboy

Post by warrior1 »

Dragonfly wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:27 pm I believe the POY/MVP is someone that leads in stats, makes their teammates better and wins. Cam Evans does all those things. POY - Evans, 1st team - McClosky and Blanton!!!!
I agree.

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:13 am I made my newest point on this week's show.

Spoiler: I made a Secretariat at the Belmont reference about one of the players.
I am new and the last time I asked a question about something I got chastised. Dani, by reading your post I know you are a Sherman fan. But you have a show? Are you one of the Unioto Sherman’s that have the podcast about the SVC? Just asking. I don’t know.

Spoiler: shouldn’t be a spoiler when one player has consistently played at a high level every night throughout the year for the best team in the league. Just sayin 🤷🏻‍♂️

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

warrior1 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:36 pm
Blanton 13
Mcclosky 11

Svcsportszone
yea, this sums it up for me. I heard Cam put on a show Saturday night. Sounds like the other two didn't . I believe the coaches will do the right thing and give it to the young man that deserves it. Cam Evans, hoping you and the other youngsters that will become first or second team are not reading these messages, but if you are there is no doubt you should be the SVC player of the year . If it doesn't happen then politics played a part in it. Let there be no misunderstanding.
I agree with you on this one but wouldn’t let one weened decide it. You have to look at the entire body of work. My kid plays AAU with Evans and we’ve been saying it was his to lose all year. I do feel it will be closer than it should tho.

Spartan12
Freshman Team

Post by Spartan12 »

mlittle wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:51 pm
warrior1 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:36 pm

Blanton 13
Mcclosky 11

Svcsportszone
I agree with you on this one but wouldn’t let one weened decide it. You have to look at the entire body of work. My kid plays AAU with Evans and we’ve been saying it was his to lose all year. I do feel it will be closer than it should tho.
Yea, I agree that one night shouldn’t determine the POY and that’s just another reason if you look at the entire body of work it is Cam Evans.

public_transport
Waterboy

Post by public_transport »

If Cam Evans doesn’t win this award it’ll be a travesty

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

public_transport wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:57 pm If Cam Evans doesn’t win this award it’ll be a travesty
Not sure I’d go with travesty, but he definitely looks to be pulling away. Crazier things have happened

Return to “Boys Basketball”