Official Suspended by OHSAA

bfry
JV Team

Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by bfry »

One of the best officials in the Southeast District was turned in to the state for allowing two teams to wear dark colored jerseys in a district game. He was stripped of additional district and regional games as a result. How in the world, outside of other agendas does this punishment stand? What do you do? Send kids home from a district game with a forfeit because they brought the wrong color? Are you kidding me? Didn't this same situation get rectified last year without incident? I don't get it!

mhs95_06
S

Re: Official Suspended by OHSAA

Post by mhs95_06 »

I'm guessing that it was a worse seed, that had upset a better seed, that was playing a better seed than them and they didn't realize they were supposed to wear white because they were the upper team in the bracket, and brought only their colored uniforms. Then the opposing team had a player that was red/green color blind, like I am, and complained that he couldn't tell the difference in the jerseys and his coach asked if they could make other arrangements, and they were denied by the official.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

How the hell does this jersey situation keep happening?? It’s a freaking district tourney game...bring both sets of jerseys to be safe!! You’d think after the New Boston screwup last year, every team in the area would be aware of the rule, but I guess not.

What game was it by the way?

As for the official, bad situation to be put in. Hate it for him.*

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

I read about this earlier. Why didn’t ref just have the necessary team change to white? If they didn’t have white why not do what that team last year did and wear OU practice jerseys (or whatever they wore)

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

As I understand it, both teams agreed and all was good. Then, after the game, it was sent to the state. Nuts

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

How does this constitute losing further tournament games is the question. This dude has done state games. Something isn't right.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

It was Orange and Green, not the disasterous Red and Red situation of last year. Obviously, this should never happen, but if both teams agree to it before hand, then it should be alright.

These coaches really have to start bringing both sets. It can’t add much to their trip. We’ve done it for years, just in case.

Thus, I feel like this is much less on the official then the teams.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:16 am It was Orange and Green, not the disasterous Red and Red situation of last year. Obviously, this should never happen, but if both teams agree to it before hand, then it should be alright.

These coaches really have to start bringing both sets. It can’t add much to their trip. We’ve done it for years, just in case.

Agreed. But how do you come to the conclusion that the official should be suspended if you're the OHSAA? That's the question. And who would even think to turn this in?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 am
danicalifornia wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:16 am It was Orange and Green, not the disasterous Red and Red situation of last year. Obviously, this should never happen, but if both teams agree to it before hand, then it should be alright.

Agreed. But how do you come to the conclusion that the official should be suspended if you're the OHSAA? That's the question. And who would even think to turn this in?
Probably the team that lost turned it in, regardless if they agreed before hand feelings get hurt afterwards and anger sets in for a bit and you start to blame other people for the loss. I guess my question is, because I have no idea, what is the official supposed to do?? So both teams show in similar jersey colors and neither team has brought their away jersey, which is crazy why you wouldn't, what is he supposed to do about it?? Not play the game, award the team who screwed up a forfeit?? Seems like to me you'd have more angry people about that and the official trying to get in a game a compared to saying well that's that let's all go home. I mean obviously this official has some quality credentials why wouldn't you want him on the court?? seems silly and petty.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

greygoose wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:16 am
bfry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 am

Probably the team that lost turned it in, regardless if they agreed before hand feelings get hurt afterwards and anger sets in for a bit and you start to blame other people for the loss. I guess my question is, because I have no idea, what is the official supposed to do?? So both teams show in similar jersey colors and neither team has brought their away jersey, which is crazy why you wouldn't, what is he supposed to do about it?? Not play the game, award the team who screwed up a forfeit?? Seems like to me you'd have more angry people about that and the official trying to get in a game a compared to saying well that's that let's all go home. I mean obviously this official has some quality credentials why wouldn't you want him on the court?? seems silly and petty.
Probably wasn’t the team that lost or won.

Whiteoak brought all 3 of their uniforms.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

There’s SEDAB representatives at these games, right? Can’t help but think if they OK’d the teams playing in orange and green, that the official shouldn’t have been suspended.

What exactly is OHSAA suggesting to have been the correct course of action, after the fact? Establish a forfeit? Make Whiteoak wear OU’s whites?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:51 am There’s SEDAB representatives at these games, right? Can’t help but think if they OK’d the teams playing in orange and green, that the official shouldn’t have been suspended.

What exactly is OHSAA suggesting to have been the correct course of action, after the fact? Establish a forfeit? Make Whiteoak wear OU’s whites?
Whiteoak had their own whites

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:59 am
formerfcfan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:51 am There’s SEDAB representatives at these games, right? Can’t help but think if they OK’d the teams playing in orange and green, that the official shouldn’t have been suspended.

Whiteoak had their own whites
My apologies if I’m sounding obtuse, but if indeed they did have their own whites (which I have no reason to not believe you) then why did they play in orange? (I’m sure I’m the first person to think of that question... lol)

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

If both coaches were good with it, what is the big deal? Obviously, this official should not have been disciplined in this way, period. The thing that I really don't understand is, if someone of authority reported it, why wasn't it addressed with the official before the game? What is the motivation for someone to even think that this is so egregious that it needed to be reported to the state? Just ridiculous.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The team (Whiteoak) that was supposed to wear their white uniforms indeed had their white jerseys with them, but they wanted to wear their 'lucky' orange jerseys. The official disregarded the uniform policy and let them wear the orange uniforms even though he knew that they had their white jerseys with them and was supposed to be wearing them. Once the teams take the floor, it's the official's jurisdiction and responsibility (not the board) to enforce the rules, and he chose not to. That's why his regional and district game was stripped of him.

- that is officially what happened.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

It's more flabbergasting that NOBODY on the Whiteoak staff knew about the jersey rule when there was the New Boston fiasco at the Convo last year. If that wasn't a clear reminder to all teams out there what the rule was, nothing is.

Whiteoak possessed the white jerseys and should have went in at warmups to change. My guess is the coaches thought it would take away a lot of warm-up time and didn't want to distract the kids...... which didn't end up working out as they lost by double digits anyway.

In terms of the official being suspended, I'm bipartial. I understand the 'rules are rules' thing, but the punishment seems a little severe for the "crime."

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 am It's more flabbergasting that NOBODY on the Whiteoak staff knew about the jersey rule when there was the New Boston fiasco at the Convo last year. If that wasn't a clear reminder to all teams out there what the rule was, nothing is.

Whiteoak possessed the white jerseys and should have went in at warmups to change. My guess is the coaches thought it would take away a lot of warm-up time and didn't want to distract the kids...... which didn't end up working out as they lost by double digits anyway.

In terms of the official being suspended, I'm bipartial. I understand the 'rules are rules' thing, but the punishment seems a little severe for the "crime."
It’s called civility. Common sense. This is why I’m not in favor of governing bodies. I guess I’ll bever understand this world. The official did the right thing letting the kids play and he’s punished for it. SMH

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:24 am The team (Whiteoak) that was supposed to wear their white uniforms indeed had their white jerseys with them, but they wanted to wear their 'lucky' orange jerseys. The official disregarded the uniform policy and let them wear the orange uniforms even though he knew that they had their white jerseys with them and was supposed to be wearing them. Once the teams take the floor, it's the official's jurisdiction and responsibility (not the board) to enforce the rules, and he chose not to. That's why his regional and district game was stripped of him.

- that is officially what happened.
[/quote

What was the penalty last year with the New Boston situation? Seems like you have intimate knowledge of the situation. You sure the official knew well in advance that they didn't have their whites? The penalty for this is stripping games from an official? Is that policy?

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Question is: who was the site coordinator and did that individual have knowledge of the situation prior to the contest? This has happened two years in a row now. Something seems a little off to me.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 am It's more flabbergasting that NOBODY on the Whiteoak staff knew about the jersey rule when there was the New Boston fiasco at the Convo last year. If that wasn't a clear reminder to all teams out there what the rule was, nothing is.

It’s called civility. Common sense. This is why I’m not in favor of governing bodies. I guess I’ll bever understand this world. The official did the right thing letting the kids play and he’s punished for it. SMH
I’m not disagreeing with you..... only throwing in another point

It has been said that WhiteOak wanted to wear their “lucky orange jerseys.” I’m assuming they’ve won most of their games in these jerseys and consider them “lucky.” Then, is the official “doing the right thing” when the school is trying to circumvent the rules to use a different jersey based off superstition?

I’m totally on the board that it’s not a big deal and as long as jerseys aren’t the same color then it really shouldn’t matter... just giving some food for thought

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”