WK13 Ironton vs. The Burg

heiners
Waterboy

Re: WK13 Ironton vs. The Burg

Post by heiners »

The Regulator wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:31 am
heiners wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:21 pm IRONTON HAS A GREAT RECRUITER BUT A SAD COACH HE GOT MAHNHANDLED AND LOOKJED SILLLY ALL NIGHT SO PREDICTABLE IT WASNT FUNNY AT LEAST THE KIDS CAN GO TO SUNDAY SCHOOL IN HE MORNING AND NOIT FOOTBALL PRACTICE
What was your record as head coach
I CAINT NOT HARDLY READ N RIGHT HOW IMA HLD A PRESTIGE JOB AS A HIGH SCOOL COACH IN DIEVISION 5 SO IM UNDEFEATED

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:48 am
art_vandelay wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:09 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:48 am Like someone said before , sometimes when you play good teams , you may lose a football game. It’s ok, the sun came up this morning. Everyone but the state champions will end the season in a loss, and when it’s over it stings. Come January teams will start working out and getting for next year . I personally appreciate every student athlete, every coaching staff, every band member , support clubs and everyone else who works so us old fat guys can go watch a season of high school football. Well done by all and good luck Burg ! 🏴‍☠️ 🏆
Great post...at end of day, these are high school kids under high pressure who are going to have off nights with turnovers, penalties, etc. Burg had theirs in Week 1 and Ironton had theirs last night.

But seeing the big 3 programs (Burg, Ironton, Jackson) around here play each other this year was a treat for SE Ohio football fans and I look forward to next couple of years as more talent in pipeline for each program.*

I think the Jackson game let Burg players know that they could play with Ironton again. Jackson had Ironton beat and Burg almost beat Jackson. After that game Burg started league play and was so wanting a rematch with Ironton. They won the league, which gave them a huge lift and they went into the playoffs with a little swagger. They beat West in a great gut check game. They rose up and won that game. They went to Ridgewood and pulled out another hard fought victory on the road after a 3 hour bus ride. They knew last night was going to be a battle and when they got done 14-3 I think Ironton players got to thinking this is going to be cake walk again and Burg rose up to the challenge again. Burg converted two 4th down conversions on that game winning drive against the best defense in SEO.

I think Burg gained more confidence the longer this game stayed close and pulled it out in the end. How many defenses have held an Ironton team scoreless over the last three quarters of the game? Everyone can talk all they want about 7 getting the ball more but he is a young kid and he took an absolute pounding in the second half. He never got close to breaking a long run again and your body will wear down after being hit the way he was hit last night. Yeah, he had 132 yards rushing but 50 of those came on 1 run. He averaged 4.4 YPC on the other 18 runs. 4.4 tough yards per carry.

Hopefully Burg can get back up for Harvest Prep. People already talking Burg will get killed and that Ironton was the better team to play them. They might have been but Burg was the one team Ironton didn't want to see again in the playoffs.
I watched all 3 games in the regular season and the ironton folks were like nah ironton is much better than both teams and had an off night against jackson. My thinking was all 3 programs were very close as the score indicated in the rematch , I think the week 1 blow out over burg was the anomaly. But what do we know 🤷‍♂️. Just glad they all get to play every year now. The Jackson Ironton and Jackson Burg games were classics .

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:52 am I’m glad Portsmouth sold split the pot, sold hot chocolate and charged for parking. They have to make money somehow. If it’s for the football teams or school to help with stuff I’m all for it.

That's why I bought 5 dollars worth in tickets. I knew the OH$AA was money hungry so I thought I'd help with whomever it went to.

I just thought it was comical because we only heard the one announcement with 3 minutes left. Skip Hickman used to do that back in the day. wait until the game was almost over. Hopefully it all went for the kids and knowing of Skip I know it did.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:05 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:48 am
art_vandelay wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:09 am

Great post...at end of day, these are high school kids under high pressure who are going to have off nights with turnovers, penalties, etc. Burg had theirs in Week 1 and Ironton had theirs last night.

But seeing the big 3 programs (Burg, Ironton, Jackson) around here play each other this year was a treat for SE Ohio football fans and I look forward to next couple of years as more talent in pipeline for each program.*

I think the Jackson game let Burg players know that they could play with Ironton again. Jackson had Ironton beat and Burg almost beat Jackson. After that game Burg started league play and was so wanting a rematch with Ironton. They won the league, which gave them a huge lift and they went into the playoffs with a little swagger. They beat West in a great gut check game. They rose up and won that game. They went to Ridgewood and pulled out another hard fought victory on the road after a 3 hour bus ride. They knew last night was going to be a battle and when they got done 14-3 I think Ironton players got to thinking this is going to be cake walk again and Burg rose up to the challenge again. Burg converted two 4th down conversions on that game winning drive against the best defense in SEO.

I think Burg gained more confidence the longer this game stayed close and pulled it out in the end. How many defenses have held an Ironton team scoreless over the last three quarters of the game? Everyone can talk all they want about 7 getting the ball more but he is a young kid and he took an absolute pounding in the second half. He never got close to breaking a long run again and your body will wear down after being hit the way he was hit last night. Yeah, he had 132 yards rushing but 50 of those came on 1 run. He averaged 4.4 YPC on the other 18 runs. 4.4 tough yards per carry.

Hopefully Burg can get back up for Harvest Prep. People already talking Burg will get killed and that Ironton was the better team to play them. They might have been but Burg was the one team Ironton didn't want to see again in the playoffs.
I watched all 3 games in the regular season and the ironton folks were like nah ironton is much better than both teams and had an off night against jackson. My thinking was all 3 programs were very close as the score indicated in the rematch , I think the week 1 blow out over burg was the anomaly. But what do we know 🤷‍♂️. Just glad they all get to play every year now. The Jackson Ironton and Jackson Burg games were classics .

That Jackson-Burg game was incredible. How many games have you ever watched that came down to kicker trying a 56 yard FG as time expired, missing it but getting an offside call to give him another chance? Then to have the 51 yard attempt to hit the crossbar!!

That was the first one for me and then the way it ended in OT with Burg going for two.

One of the better games around here in awhile.

Ohioboy07
Waterboy

Post by Ohioboy07 »

Congrats to the Wheelersburg Pirates on sticking to their game plan and making the most of Ironton’s several turn overs. I like Pendleton and I will agree that he has done an amazing job during his tenure at Ironton. With that being said, I do not understand the play calling last night and I feel that this loss falls directly on his shoulders. Ironton defense played phenomenal but they were flat out exhausted in the 4th quarter due to the offenses inability to string together any drives in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. The Wylie kid is a great athlete and will no doubt have a great career at Ironton but there is no way I would put my faith in the young man winning this game with his arm. Ironton should have played to their strength and used their size and running game to their advantage. Also I do not understand why they would go for it in 4th when the defense had been playing lights out. Punt the ball and trust your defense. Ironton was the superior team but they appeared to be very undisciplined and kept shooting theirselves in the foot. Good luck to the Pirates next week! Represent Southern Ohio proudly!

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

One thing I haven't seen in the thread (maybe I've missed it), is how Burg players always helped the Ironton ball carrier up. If there was a big collision, they checked on the other player. The QB was hit a few times as soon as he threw the ball and was immediately helped up. These Burg kids are a class act. If they never won a game they'd still be winning. Impressive I think.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:25 pm One thing I haven't seen in the thread (maybe I've missed it), is how Burg players always helped the Ironton ball carrier up. If there was a big collision, they checked on the other player. The QB was hit a few times as soon as he threw the ball and was immediately helped up. These Burg kids are a class act. If they never won a game they'd still be winning. Impressive I think.
These things can’t be highlighted enough.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
SciotoCfootball
Varsity

Post by SciotoCfootball »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:25 pm One thing I haven't seen in the thread (maybe I've missed it), is how Burg players always helped the Ironton ball carrier up. If there was a big collision, they checked on the other player. The QB was hit a few times as soon as he threw the ball and was immediately helped up. These Burg kids are a class act. If they never won a game they'd still be winning. Impressive I think.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211114-121424_Facebook.jpg

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

SciotoCfootball wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:31 pm

That looks like Josh Clark, number 4 for Burg. I noticed after the game a majority of ironton players coming up to him and hugging him and patting him on the head like they all knew him.

Did he play at Ironton at one time?

Burg players have always played with class because it starts at the top with Coach Woodward. He is top notch. I've never seem him scream and holler and berate a kid during a game in all of the Burg games I've watched him coach. Now, he might be different in practice and that's fine. I've never been a fan of screaming at a kid because of a bad play. Guess what!! You talk to him about it and you coach him up. You don't berate him in front of his teammates, fans and family. I'm sure I'll get the usual that's why these kids these days are such pansies. You can't yell at them. I disagree!! Kids that age need built up not beat down for one bad play.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I noticed it. Wasn’t every play but it’s great sportsmanship and shows character of the kids. We all talk about transfers, coaches, schools etc but we forget at times these are 15-18 year old boys playing against there friends. With social media now a days most of these kids know each other.
Last edited by Beergogglebluez on Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

If I am correct, Ironton beat Burg the first game of the season, 40-6 (I think) with a running clock. Then Burg beat Ironton by 3 points 17-14 last night. If you add up their points from last night with the first game they are still 54-23. Just an observation.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

fan Friday, who does Ironton play next week?

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Fan Friday wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:31 pm If I am correct, Ironton beat Burg the first game of the season, 40-6 (I think) with a running clock. Then Burg beat Ironton by 3 points 17-14 last night. If you add up their points from last night with the first game they are still 54-23. Just an observation.
But their 2021 records are 1-1 against each other.

Yh8awinner
Freshman Team

Post by Yh8awinner »

Fanfriday just can't take it. I didn't know we were playing rummy last night. Lol

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Fan Friday wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:31 pm If I am correct, Ironton beat Burg the first game of the season, 40-6 (I think) with a running clock. Then Burg beat Ironton by 3 points 17-14 last night. If you add up their points from last night with the first game they are still 54-23. Just an observation.
That's pretty dumb

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

SEO95 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:58 pm Ironton lost to a bad Burg team. How did that happen.
They were outcoached, under-prepared and rested on their laurels all year.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:15 pm
But their 2021 records are 1-1 against each other.
According to the story in the paper on Saturday this was the 4th playoff meeting between the two schools and Wheelersburg now has a 3 game win streak in the playoffs over the Tigers. Ironton won in 1995 and Wheelersburg in 2014 and 2015 and 2021.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Good job Skippy!! Someone get him a gold star for his math scores.

Probably the dumbest post I’ve ever read on here.

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

callie15 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:58 pm fan Friday, who does Ironton play next week?
Ironton will be sitting home, just like Burg the past two years!

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:59 pm

Good job Skippy!! Someone get him a gold star for his math scores.

Probably the dumbest post I’ve ever read on here.
Oh it couldn’t be the dumbest! I’ve read your post for years!

Return to “Football”