Do SEO kids have a hard time adjusting in D1 P5 locker rooms once they begin the collegiate journey?

Tri_State790
Varsity

Do SEO kids have a hard time adjusting in D1 P5 locker rooms once they begin the collegiate journey?

Post by Tri_State790 »

Does the seo mindset/culture put seo kids at a disadvantage?

Example: Do you think Reid Carrico has the same go getter mentality coming from SEO as say a kid from Philly, South Florida, or Texas?

How do the cultural differences impact the ability to adjust to the D1 p5 lifestyle/dynamic?

Is the D1P5 dynamic too much for seo kids?

Tri_State790
Varsity

Re: Do SEO kids have a hard time adjusting in D1 P5 locker rooms once they begin the collegiate journey?

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:34 pm Does the seo mindset/culture put seo kids at a disadvantage?

Example: Do you think Reid Carrico has the same go getter mentality coming from SEO as say a kid from Philly, South Florida, or Texas?

How do the cultural differences impact the ability to adjust to the D1 p5 lifestyle/dynamic?

Did C.J. Hicks seamlessly pass carrico on the Buckeye depth chart based on talent alone OR is their a gap in mentaility as a result of culture?

Are seo kids prepared for a D1P5 lifestyle or does the slow, roll up the sidewalks at 9pm Mayberry lifestyle in seo not create as much ambition?

Baldeagle
Varsity

Re: Do SEO kids have a hard time adjusting in D1 P5 locker rooms once they begin the collegiate journey?

Post by Baldeagle »

You would have to ask D1. He is the last player from this area to have a solid college experience.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:34 pm Does the seo mindset/culture put seo kids at a disadvantage?

I think so , that’s why Ironton gets embarrassed when they leave SEO.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Treylan Davis from Jackson plays for WVU he’s been playing meaningful snaps

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Most people don't know how big the world is, heck even Ohio. There are like 700 schools that play football in the state of Ohio. So each year there will probably be around 700 linebackers for Ohio State to look at in their own state for maybe 2 to 3 spots to fill.

So the odds of getting a D1 scholarship are hard and actually playing are even harder. One thing that hurts in our area are kids is big fish in a little pond. Any decent kid around here will have big stats. But if they were to play at Moeller or something similar, it would be the same fish and stats go down. So competition in the area doesn't translate to college success.

The biggest thing is luck too. Look at pleasants from Coal Grove. He's playing in the NFL right now. No one probably expected that since he went to Ohio University.

So guys like Reid, can enjoy being a buckeye while getting some education paid for not to mention that he played for the Bucks will be going on his resume. If he wants to play, he may have to transfer, but maybe he just likes being a Buckeye.

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

I think Reid has the ability to start at ohio state. The issue is you have to find a way to get noticed early in you're career or you get lost in the shuffle. Everyone at ohio state was a superstar at their respective high schools. In the current system ran by Jim Knowles they only play two linebackers and until recently he refused to substitute even in blowout situations. Even to the point that the two starters were so banged up they didn't participate in spring ball.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

Reid is a great athlete. 6-2, 235 and likely still runs in the 4.5 -4.6 range. It’s a numbers game and the two 5 stars Styles and Hicks are the future for OSU linebackers. As good as Eichenberg has been he still struggles at times to get to the ball. I’d guess Carrico finishes his degree (Smart kid) then transfers somewhere as a graduate student to get some PT beyond special teams, or simply translates his engineering degree into a great job (I hear Intel is hiring engineers in the Columbus area) and lives happily ever after

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

gobucs20 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:02 pm I think Reid has the ability to start at ohio state. The issue is you have to find a way to get noticed early in you're career or you get lost in the shuffle. Everyone at ohio state was a superstar at their respective high schools. In the current system ran by Jim Knowles they only play two linebackers and until recently he refused to substitute even in blowout situations. Even to the point that the two starters were so banged up they didn't participate in spring ball.
Yup. And therein is my intrigue. Reid is a great kid and a great athlete and student BUT he seems like he doesn't fit the culture. He's quiet. And polite and kinda I don't wanna say soft cause he's not.. but he doesn't have the same go get it mentality that the south Florida or Houston kids come in with for example. Those kids are DAWGS. Even McCord has that Philly edge in him.

Reid is sorta a gomer. Idk if he fits.
Those d1p5 locker rooms are made for DAWGS.

Mcord for example = philly breeds a different level of hunger and ambition that seo simply doesn't.

Is it a disadvantage?

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:19 pm
gobucs20 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:02 pm I think Reid has the ability to start at ohio state. The issue is you have to find a way to get noticed early in you're career or you get lost in the shuffle. Everyone at ohio state was a superstar at their respective high schools. In the current system ran by Jim Knowles they only play two linebackers and until recently he refused to substitute even in blowout situations. Even to the point that the two starters were so banged up they didn't participate in spring ball.
Yup. And therein is my intrigue. Reid is a great kid and a great athlete and student BUT he seems like he doesn't fit the culture. He's quiet. And polite and kinda I don't wanna say soft cause he's not.. but he doesn't have the same go get it mentality that the south Florida or Houston kids come in with for example. Those kids are DAWGS. Even McCord has that Philly edge in him.

Mcord for example = philly breeds a different level of hunger and ambition that seo simply doesn't.

Is it a disadvantage?
Seems to me the seo kids don't have the same killer mentality as far as competing is concerned. Is that a cultural thing you think?.Are seo kids conditioned to be passive? How does this all play a role?

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:48 pm Most people don't know how big the world is, heck even Ohio. There are like 700 schools that play football in the state of Ohio. So each year there will probably be around 700 linebackers for Ohio State to look at in their own state for maybe 2 to 3 spots to fill.

So the odds of getting a D1 scholarship are hard and actually playing are even harder. One thing that hurts in our area are kids is big fish in a little pond. Any decent kid around here will have big stats. But if they were to play at Moeller or something similar, it would be the same fish and stats go down. So competition in the area doesn't translate to college success.

The biggest thing is luck too. Look at pleasants from Coal Grove. He's playing in the NFL right now. No one probably expected that since he went to Ohio University.

So guys like Reid, can enjoy being a buckeye while getting some education paid for not to mention that he played for the Bucks will be going on his resume. If he wants to play, he may have to transfer, but maybe he just likes being a Buckeye.

Another good example. The shawn terry catch and run vs Fairland hilight.

Does he pull that off vs a talented team? Or does he get hit for a loss?

What If that was The Miami Central secondary? Same result? I have my doubts.

And when u get in a d1p5 locker room THOSE are the kids you are competing with for a role.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

That's the key Reid is a 4-3 linebacker and OSU runs a 4-2 set.
Reid has the talent he is just in the wrong defence

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:48 pm Most people don't know how big the world is, heck even Ohio. There are like 700 schools that play football in the state of Ohio. So each year there will probably be around 700 linebackers for Ohio State to look at in their own state for maybe 2 to 3 spots to fill.

Do you think maybe seo kids have a difficult time committing to the dream of being a college standout and getting drafted? Like they don't believe in themselves whereas a South Florida kid will sell out & committ 100% to the dream which can potentially include hitting the portal for a better opportunity?

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

fielddaddy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:40 pm
Think so? Sometimes I sorta see Reid as a kid who would've started at LB for Ohio State in the 90s but he doesn't resemble what most big programs use at the position in 2023. Linebacker is more of a skill position now. Speed speed. Speed.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:44 pm
Think so? Sometimes I sorta see Reid as a kid who would've started at LB for Ohio State in the 90s but he doesn't resemble what most big programs use at the position in 2023. Linebacker is more of a skill position now. Speed speed. Speed.

CJ Hicks. RYan Shazier. Etc etc etc

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Tri_State790 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:44 pm
true I agree tell the truth I think Reid would be better on offence as a H-back

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

Exactly! Big fish small pond is a good comparison. If any Big fish player around here wants to succeed they have to go play better competition (Example- Team playing better teams, Going to camps to compete against elite players.)

WWE HALL OF FAME
Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Is it a disadvantage?
Yes and it comes to light every time Ironton leaves SEO Ohio.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Is it a disadvantage?
You are comparing SEO to Miami, Houston, and Philly??

Let’s do the math on metro populations…
- Philadelphia: 6.2 million
- Houston: 7.1 million
- Miami: 6.0 million
- Ironton: 288,000

Those areas are over 20x larger than the Ironton metro area. They are going to produce better athletes, and a lot of them simply based on population. Using your words “more dawgs.”

Given the population of SEO, the area does an amazing job producing athletes. Plenty of “Dawgs” given how sparsely populated.

Btw, not getting on the field at OSU happens to really talented players and athletes all the time. Just ask Joe Burrow.

BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

There is always someone bigger, stronger and faster, esp with the transfer portal. I think it hurt Reid when Al Washington left ohio state. He is the one who recruited Reid. He’s still getting a free scholarship and doing what he loves. Reid could have went anywhere and he picked ohio state. What a dream come true for him.

Return to “Football”