Football Trivia For Your School

General Chat
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: Football Trivia For Your School

Post by Raider6309 »

Raider6309 wrote:In the final season of the Athens County League. This boys basketball won the last league title, 20-0, and the number 1 ranked team in Ohio
Ames Bern. 20-0. Chauncey Dover had 6'6 guard Roger Bentley. Averaged 30 a game. The Plains had Larry Hunter.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Is this the same Bentley family that played at Athens?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

noreply66 wrote:Is this the same Bentley family that played at Athens?
Yes his senior year he played at Athens. His nephew played point guard for Athens about 10 years ago

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:you know ironton had a series with DuPont west Virginia when randy moss played at DuPont.in fact the fighting tigers beat them a year that they won the wv state title in the states biggest division,but what was randy's brother's name that played for DuPont as well. i'll give you a hint -- he was about as big as a sasquatch.
Eric

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Irish Dawg wrote:The two CAPE players would probably be Carlos Snow and Vinnie Clark

correct.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

LHS 72 wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:WHICH OHIO STATE COACH CAME IN A HELICOPTER TO ONE OF THE IRONTON/CAPE GAMES AND LANDED BEHIND THE PRESS BOX TO WATCH THE GAME FROM THE PRESS BOX.
Earle Bruce

correct

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

cbolt wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:you know ironton had a series with DuPont west Virginia when randy moss played at DuPont.in fact the fighting tigers beat them a year that they won the wv state title in the states biggest division,but what was randy's brother's name that played for DuPont as well. i'll give you a hint -- he was about as big as a sasquatch.
Eric

now he may have had a brother named eric I was unaware of, I'm not sure==. the huge one that I'm talking about though was zepphrus moss. he looked like sasquatch. if memory serves me correct he was a lineman/fullback. and ironton's wolfgang kratzenberger looked like he was half his size, and flat destroyed zepphrus all evening. wolfgang went on to play for ohio university.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

what team beat ironton for a state title on a very, very, very controversial field goal.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Only one school has been on Nelsonville-York's football schedule every year since consolidation in 1967. Which school is it?

tomcat fan
All Conference

Post by tomcat fan »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Only one school has been on Nelsonville-York's football schedule every year since consolidation in 1967. Which school is it?
Athens?

Go Cats, Go Buckeyes
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
cbolt wrote:
Eric

now he may have had a brother named eric I was unaware of, I'm not sure==. the huge one that I'm talking about though was zepphrus moss. he looked like sasquatch. if memory serves me correct he was a lineman/fullback. and ironton's wolfgang kratzenberger looked like he was half his size, and flat destroyed zepphrus all evening. wolfgang went on to play for ohio university.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Moss

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Here's the guy you're thinking of Bait,don't look like they're related,but your right he is a bigun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zefross_Moss

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Only one school has been on Nelsonville-York's football schedule every year since consolidation in 1967. Which school is it?
Vinton county?

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:what team beat ironton for a state title on a very, very, very controversial field goal.
Wauseon

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Raider6309 wrote:
Vinton county?
You are correct. Vinton County has been on NY's schedule every year since 1967. The Buckeyes played the Vikings in nonconference games in '67, '68, and '69. The Buckeyes then joined Vinton County in the TVC in '70.

An interesting note to the series is that the NY vs. VC football game scheduled in 1973 was cancelled due to the VC Teachers Strike. So the Buckeyes and Vikings did not play the football game that year, but it was on the schedule to be played.

For the guess above of Athens, NY did not play Athens for a 13 year period - 1970 - 1982 seasons. NY has played Athens every year since 1983. NY (and the Nelsonville Greyhounds before NY) played Athens every year from at least 1925 - 1969, except for 1928 and 1929 when Athens briefly left the SEOAL. I know that it is highly likely Nelsonville and Athens played each other prior to 1925, but it's extremely difficult to find information on games prior to the establishment of the SEOAL in 1925.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Here is a trivia question I do not have the answer for, but was curious............

Athens briefly left the SEOAL in the late 1920s. Why did Athens leave the SEOAL at that time, and did they field a football team in those years?

Athens and Nelsonville did not play in football in 1928 or 1929. Did Athens field a team then? If so, who did they play in those years?

The Bulldogs and Greyhounds more than made up for the lost two years in the series. They played each other twice (home and away) in 1930, 1931, 1932 and 1933.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

This is an easy one.......at least I think it is......

The Nelsonville Greyhounds had two nonconference rivals who they played more times than any other school outside of the SEOAL.........who were these teams?

Bonus points...........of the two teams, which did the Greyhounds play more?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens 1928
1. Middleport Win 37-20
2. New Boston Win 25-0
3. Marietta Loss 6-0
4. Portsmouth Loss 33-6
5. Logan Win 12-6
6. Columbus East Win 19-6
7. Cincinnati Hamilton Loss 16-0
8, Ironton Win 7-6

Athens 1929
1. Ravenswood WV tie 13-13
2. Logan Win 40-0
3. Marietta loss 35-0
4. Cambridge tie 20-20
5. Portsmouth Loss 19-12
6. Zanesville Loss 13-12
7. Columbus Central Loss 33-6
8. Ironton Loss 19-0

Athens 1930
1. Zanesville Win 12-6
2. Marietta Tie 0-0
3. Nelsonville Win 33-0
4. Ironton loss 14-0
5. Cambridge loss 27-13
6. Portsmouth loss 65-0
7. Nelsonville Tie 0-0

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

cbolt wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:what team beat ironton for a state title on a very, very, very controversial field goal.
Wauseon

correct.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

cbolt wrote:Here's the guy you're thinking of Bait,don't look like they're related,but your right he is a bigun
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zefross_Moss

know he was a hosscat.

Return to “The Off season”