General Chat
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Football Trivia For Your School

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

cbolt wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
cbolt wrote: Eric

now he may have had a brother named eric I was unaware of, I'm not sure==. the huge one that I'm talking about though was zepphrus moss. he looked like sasquatch. if memory serves me correct he was a lineman/fullback. and ironton's wolfgang kratzenberger looked like he was half his size, and flat destroyed zepphrus all evening. wolfgang went on to play for ohio university.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Moss
I bet that's exactly who it was bolt. hey thanks for that.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

This will take some investigative skills. Bob Bruney left Ironton after the 1971 season to return to his alma mater, Martins Ferry. Many people believe Bob Lutz was the first to be hired to replace Bruney but he was the second. The first choice was hired, but before the school could announce the hiring, the hired Coach resigned and accepted a coaching position at Massilon the very next day. Hat tip to JH for this story that many in Ironton or anywhere else knew about.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
cbolt wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:you know ironton had a series with DuPont west Virginia when randy moss played at DuPont.in fact the fighting tigers beat them a year that they won the wv state title in the states biggest division,but what was randy's brother's name that played for DuPont as well. i'll give you a hint -- he was about as big as a sasquatch.
Eric

now he may have had a brother named eric I was unaware of, I'm not sure==. the huge one that I'm talking about though was zepphrus moss. he looked like sasquatch. if memory serves me correct he was a lineman/fullback. and ironton's wolfgang kratzenberger looked like he was half his size, and flat destroyed zepphrus all evening. wolfgang went on to play for ohio university.

Moss was actually lined up against Walt Delong all night and he whipped him up and down the field. Im sure Wolfgang though drilled him a few times as he ran the ball though.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

79Tiger wrote:This will take some investigative skills. Bob Bruney left Ironton after the 1971 season to return to his alma mater, Martins Ferry. Many people believe Bob Lutz was the first to be hired to replace Bruney but he was the second. The first choice was hired, but before the school could announce the hiring, the hired Coach resigned and accepted a coaching position at Massilon the very next day. Hat tip to JH for this story that many in Ironton or anywhere else knew about.
Larry Coyer?

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Yes. Very good.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

79Tiger wrote:This will take some investigative skills. Bob Bruney left Ironton after the 1971 season to return to his alma mater, Martins Ferry. Many people believe Bob Lutz was the first to be hired to replace Bruney but he was the second. The first choice was hired, but before the school could announce the hiring, the hired Coach resigned and accepted a coaching position at Massilon the very next day. Hat tip to JH for this story that many in Ironton or anywhere else knew about.

DAGNABBIT I KNEW THIS ONE, BUT NEVER SAW IT TILL THIS MORNING.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:This is an easy one.......at least I think it is......

The Nelsonville Greyhounds had two nonconference rivals who they played more times than any other school outside of the SEOAL.........who were these teams?

Bonus points...........of the two teams, which did the Greyhounds play more?

No one answered my question from yesterday. I thought for sure someone would get this!

The top non-SEOAL rival for the Nelsonville Greyhounds by far was the Chauncey-Dover Blue Devils. They played each other 30 times ---- far more than any other non-SEOAL school. The Grehounds lost the all-time series dating back to 1925: 10 wins, 16 losses, 4 ties. **It is highly likely they played prior to 1925, but my records only go back to the founding of the SEOAL in 1925. The teams played in 1925 and then had a series of consecutive games between 1933 and 1945. The series took a few years off, but picked back up in 1951 and continued to the last year before both schools consolidated into Nelsonville-York and Athens respectively, as 1966 was the final year of the series and the final year for the Greyhounds and Blue Devils all together.

In second place for non-SEOAL rivals for the Nelsonville Greyhounds was The Plains Indians. The Greyhounds and Indians played each other 19 times leading up to the consolidations into Nelsonville-York and Athens respectively. The Greyhounds won the all-time series 15 wins, 3 losses, 1 tie. The teams first played in 1938 (unless they played prior to 1925), and they played again in 1942, 1944, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1952 and then played every year consecutively from 1955-1966.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

My trivia question for the weekend..........

The Battle of the Unknown Civil War.

Before anyone knew Nelsonville would consolidate with Buchtel-York and back before Murray City and Carbon Hill consolidated with Buchtel-York prior to that, the Greyhounds played the Buchtel-York Bruins and the Murray City Miners in a series of football games. No games were played against the Carbon Hill Bulldogs.

How many games were played in the Greyhounds vs. Bruins series and the Greyhounds vs. Miners series and who won the all-time series in each case?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Nybuckeye96, do you have any information on the Athens county league? My dad had everything but now can't remember where he put it :lol:

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Raider6309 wrote:Nybuckeye96, do you have any information on the Athens county league? My dad had everything but now can't remember where he put it :lol:
Raider, no I don't have anything on the ACL unfortunately. I only have the complete history of the Nelsonville-York Buckeyes and the former Nelsonville Greyhounds back to 1925. I wish I had pre-1925 Greyhound scores, but newspapers were not consistent in their recording of high school sports back in those days. I only have the history in football, not other sports. But 91 years of football scores isn't too shabby!

I would like to get the history of the Buchtel-York Bruins, Murray City Miners and Carbon Hill Bulldogs at least back to 1925, but that will be a bit of a challenge. Records in newspapers back in the early days were sketchy. Plus, it was very common for these schools to have their varsity teams play junior varsity teams from larger schools. So if Buchtel-York Varsity played Athens Junior Varsity for example, you have to have an asterisk in the all-time series. Also, some of these games were played on random days, so a person would have to literally go over microfilm of every Athens Messenger daily for the duration of the football season each year. Sometimes scores were not reported. Sometimes they were reported days later. That will be a massive project for someone unless someone out there already has this information.

It takes many hours to go over microfilm in Alden Library, which I did several years ago for the NY info, but there was at least consistency in that all games were varsity games and all games were played on Fridays except for a handful of Saturday games and a couple that took place during the week due to weather canceling the Friday games, but the info. was clearly laid out in the Messenger, so I knew what date to look for the makeup games.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

IRONTON IS CURRENTLY IN THE OVC, AND A FORMER MEMBER OF THE SEOAL. ------------WHAT OTHER LEAGUE/LEAGUES HAS IRONTON BEEN INVOLVED WITH IN THE PAST.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:IRONTON IS CURRENTLY IN THE OVC, AND A FORMER MEMBER OF THE SEOAL. ------------WHAT OTHER LEAGUE/LEAGUES HAS IRONTON BEEN INVOLVED WITH IN THE PAST.
SEOAL
Tri State Athletic conference
Ohio Kentucky Athletic conference
OVC

I'm guessing a lot more

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I wonder if they were leagued up in like the 40's, 50's and 60's raider do you have any idea how to check I'd be very interested in finding out.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:My trivia question for the weekend..........

The Battle of the Unknown Civil War.

Before anyone knew Nelsonville would consolidate with Buchtel-York and back before Murray City and Carbon Hill consolidated with Buchtel-York prior to that, the Greyhounds played the Buchtel-York Bruins and the Murray City Miners in a series of football games. No games were played against the Carbon Hill Bulldogs.

How many games were played in the Greyhounds vs. Bruins series and the Greyhounds vs. Miners series and who won the all-time series in each case?
No guesses on my last two trivia questions! I guess most of the NY people are off the board for the summer or my questions are too hard! :)

The all-time series between the Greyhounds and Bruins and the Greyhounds and Miners are each tied! At least they are tied going back to my earliest records of 1925.

Nelsonville vs. Buchtel-York - The all-time series (1925-1966) ended tied 1-1.
1931 Bruins 8 Greyhounds 0
1940 Greyhounds 30 Bruins 2

Nelsonville vs. Murray City - The all-time series (1925-1966) ended tied 3 wins, 3 losses and 1 tie.
1927 Miners 12 Greyhounds 0
1928 Greyhounds 0 Miners 0
1928 Greyhounds 7 Miners 6
1929 Greyhounds 13 Miners 6
1929 Greyhounds 6 Miners 0
1930 Miners 6 Greyhounds 0
1933 Miners 20 Greyounds 7

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Nelsonville-Greyhounds most games played vs. opponents (does not include pre-1925 games):

Athens - 44 games played
Berne Union - 2 games played
Bremen - 2 games played
Buchtel - 2 games played
Chauncey-Dover - 30 games played
Columbus Academy - 1 game played
Columbus Holy Family - 1 game played
Columbus Linden McKinley - 2 games played
Columbus Mifflin - 2 games played
Gallipolis - 40 games played
Glouster - 11 games played
Ironton - 1 game played
Jackson - 38 games played
Jacksonville-Trimble - 2 games played
Lancaster - 2 games played
Logan - 42 games played
Marysville - 1 game played
McArthur - 5 games played
Middleport - 33 games played
Murray City - 7 games played
New Boston - 1 game played
New Lexington - 3 games played
New Straitsville - 3 games played
Pomeroy - 40 games played
Portsmouth - 1 game played
Rutland - 2 games played
The Plains - 19 games played
Wellston - 40 games played

All-Time Top 10 Games Played for the Greyhounds (does not include pre-1925 games):

1. Athens - 44
2. Logan - 42
3. Gallipolis - 40
3. Pomeroy - 40
3. Wellston - 40
6. Jackson - 38
7. Middleport - 33
8. Chauncey-Dover - 30
9. The Plains - 19
10. Glouster - 11

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

loganlocos wrote:Here's some good Logan trivia:

Who was the first QB to pass for 1,000+ yards in a season?

How many 1,000+ yard passing seasons have Logan players had in history?

When was the only game that Logan had three different runners net 100+ yards rushing in a single game? Who was the opponent? And who were the three runners?

Who posted the most rushing yards by a sophomore?

How many individual 1,000+ yard rushing seasons have Logan players had? Who was the first?

Who holds the record for receiving yards in a single game?

Josh Jackson holds the school record with a 47-yard FG vs Zanesville in 1991. Whose record did he break? How long was that FG?

Who was the first LHS player to be named the Associated Press (AP)'s All-Ohio 1st Team?

Who is the only person to serve as the LHS Football captain twice?

How many players have ever been awarded four Varsity letters in football? Who are they?
Anthony Schrader? Two time Captain? I was thinking Brad Tucker? But not sure.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Most rushing yards as a sophomore? Kelly Wolfe?
First player named first team all Ohio- Bob Risch
First 1000 yard rusher -Bus Dexter

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Jackson might have broken Ruggles record in the FG...40yds

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

All answers were available on LoganFootball.com. Here are the answers:

Here's some good Logan trivia:

Who was the first QB to pass for 1,000+ yards in a season?

Greg Smith, 1971 - 1,045 passing yards

How many 1,000+ yard passing seasons have Logan players had in history?

When was the only game that Logan had three different runners net 100+ yards rushing in a single game? Who was the opponent? And who were the three runners?

1952 at Athens; Bob Thomas (177 yards), Eddie Joe Grandy (105 yards), Bob Emerson (101 yards)

Who posted the most rushing yards by a sophomore?

Kelly Wolfe; 905 yards; 1984

How many individual 1,000+ yard rushing seasons have Logan players had? Who was the first?

28, first was Vaughn "Bus" Hansel in 1935

Who holds the record for receiving yards in a single game?

DJ Conrad, 260 yards, VS Miami Trace in 1985

Josh Jackson holds the school record with a 47-yard FG vs Zanesville in 1991. Whose record did he break? How long was that FG?

Keith Myers; 46 yards; AT Columbus West, 1985

Who was the first LHS player to be named the Associated Press (AP)'s All-Ohio 1st Team?

Bob Risch, Defensive Tackle, 1958 (He was named as an Offensive Tackle on the UPI All-Ohio team)

Who is the only person to serve as the LHS Football captain twice?

This was a little bit of a trick question. Officially, Anthony Schrader served as captain in 1920 and 1921. However, Byron Moorehead also served as captain in 1916 and 1917. The 1916 season was comprised of only a single game against the Alumni team. Moorehead was not the elected captain but served as captain in that single game.

How many players have ever been awarded four Varsity letters in football? Who are they?

Six.

Hugo Shaw - 1912, '13, '14, and '15
Henry Adcock - 1922, '23, '24, and '25
Bill DeLong - 1956, '57, '58, and '59
Robbie Johnson - 1960, '61, '62, and '63
Bob "Big Daddy" Stewart - 1960, '61, '62, and '63
Bryce McBride - 2012, '13, '14, and '15

Return to “The Off season”