SHOULD CHEERLEADING BE CONSIDERED A SPORT

General Chat
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Re: SHOULD CHEERLEADING BE CONSIDERED A SPORT

Post by 1987chieftains »

IKnoCheerleading wrote:Although I'm somewhat sick of this argument, I am going to take part. I cheered for nine years: in grade school. HS, and even college, and I think that cheerleading is a sport. I worked my butt off in practice and on the sidelines. It's a great physical activity and VERY competitive at times. I say that if Golf is a sport, then cheerleading DEFINATELY is! There isn't any regulations on different activities to call it a "sport." (I know that that is an argument that's used very often....)

Anywho...Most people who say cheerleading is not a sport should get involved in it and actually see what those girls (and guys) do at practice and at competition. Games are just public practices and usually the only chance many get to have fun. It is less stressful, unlike competitions and practice, so the games do not justify why cheerleading is a sport. The majority of the sport takes place off of the sidelines for many squads and takes place in the gym or at a competition. I say walk BEFORE you talk. Get to know what cheerleading really is before you go and say it's just a bunch of girls who are ditzy and stupid and want to prance around in short skirts. (I know no one said that here;it's just a stereotype.lol) That's not what it's about. It's about using the sport to benefit yourself, your squad,your team & your school. You gain recognition for you school, squad, and team, and benefit yourself by getting a great workout and staying physically fit. It helps you gain courage and confidence that many other sports do not offer as much. It is a sport. I know b/c I have been there and know the ends-and-outs of it all. =)

IN HIGH SCHOOL I DATED A GIRL WHO WAS A CHEERLEADER ALL THE WAY THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL. NOW MY DAUGHTER CHEERS FOR A COMPETITION TEAM THAT IS NOT PART OF THE HIGH SCHOOL. SO, I HAVE PUT 10 YRS IN WITH SOMEONE THAT WAS OR IS ON A CHEER TEAM. AND I STILL SAY ITS NOT A SPORT!

i8al
Riding the Bench

Post by i8al »

No, not unless you live and breathe cheerleading. You don't just cheer to spend time with the boy athletes.
Sometimes it is, but in most cases today, NO.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

i8al wrote:No, not unless you live and breathe cheerleading. You don't just cheer to spend time with the boy athletes.
Sometimes it is, but in most cases today, NO.

i hope your not referring to me or my daughter. you can live and breathe lots of things but, that doesn't mean it is or has to be that a sport. i live and breathe for my kids for but, that doesn't mean it should be a sport...... i understand what you are saying though..... don't get your undies in a bunch..... just b/c you are passionate about cheer don't mean it should be a recognized sport. i will agree that competitive cheer is more sports like but, outside of cheerleaders and maybe those involved, nobody recognizes or thinks it should be a sport.

CheermomCG
Waterboy

Post by CheermomCG »

:oops: :evil: :twisted:
Last edited by CheermomCG on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CheermomCG
Waterboy

Post by CheermomCG »

Mom2HornetAthlete wrote::12223 Cheerleaders work their butts off so yes it should be consider a sport! I see it as they girls should be able to CHEER with the arm motions before they tumble if they can not cheer well they make the team look like crap but if you have a squad that can cheer and almost all of them can tumble then those that dont can make the team look bad...... :122248 Coal Groves Cheer Squad was embarrassing last year with 2 types of unifoms being worn to the games, she should have made a JV team and Varsity team instead of doing that, they looked AWFUL!!!~~~> then this year you have the 2 seniors who can not tumble but all the other girls can, so they make the team look bad when it comes to tumbling not to mention they as :122248 the SENIORS ARE NOT GOOD ROLE MODELS!!! :122246 The rest of the sqaud seems to be a better group of girls and have a better head on their shoulders just wish the seniors would wake up and realize that they need to grow up and look at the younger girls as role models for them!! :o and for the record I DO NOT HAVE A DAUGHTER CHEERING!! ONLY A SON WHO PLAYS! Go Big Grove and CGHS Cheerleaders for the future after 09 U will look even better than this year so SMILE cause your time is coming to SHINE!

You have to blame the advisor for the uniforms! I am glad your child is perfect and that you are the perfect role model!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad to know the 2 seniors, and I think it is sad that you have to put down these girls!!!!!!!!!!! The bad role model seniors as you put it have tried out and made it all 4 years. The Grove has never had many tumblers!! I think it should be considered a sport if you tumble or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

negative...not unless you compete...but the little whisperers who do a little hop here and there is definatly NOT a sport

Heath
Riding the Bench

Post by Heath »

it shouldn't i just like the hot girls movin their bodies

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

:aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9

k k ann
Waterboy

Post by k k ann »

Cheerleading can be a sport, it depends on the coaches expectations. If they expect a lot hopefully they'll get a lot back. Hard work, work ethic and sportsmen like conduct on and off the court would be expected. If they are expected to stand, do nothing but try to look good then it really isn't much of a sport is it?

derpa
Waterboy

Post by derpa »

nope

rhhscheer
Waterboy

Post by rhhscheer »

Yes!
Cheerleading to me is and will always be considered a sport,
I'm a cheerleader obviously.
People use the typical stereotypes of cheerleaders and say we're worthless and all we do is prance around in short skirts, we're stupid and ditzy.
That's not true.
Cheerleaders work just as hard as any other sport if not harder.
In the summer, practice 5 times a week, learning cheers, sidelines and dances also adding in conditioning and tumbling.
During football season, practice a few times a week plus games on friday night.
Basketball season- games 3 times a week,practices and tumbling.
To be a cheerleader you need to have to patience, time, confidence and you have to be loud, strong, stiff and flexible all at the same time.
I've cheered for 4 years now and its become my life.

What does it take to be considered a sport anyways?
Is it a complete thought out situation,
or do people base it on the everyday stereotypes of cheerleaders?
If golf can be considered a sport then why can't cheerleading?
Do they even do anything productive?

Although we can't mount here in southern ohio, alot of schools can,
so for those cheerleaders that can and anybody else that reads this, remember,
"You life weights, We lift people!"

Most highschool sports have an athletic budget that go to only what is considered a sport.
Cheerleading is expensive, so supportive parents shell out money and more money,
to pay for uniforms, competition, camps, tumbling and more..
What do football players have to pay for?

So think about it.
What's so wrong with cheerleading that it can't be a sport?

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

because it doenst take any atheleticism to yell "go team!" or wave a number 1 sign in the air like all southeastern ohio cheerleaders do...my grandma can do that and she is 72 ...so if cheerleading is a sport than she is an athelete like those of "all other sports" (including football and basketball)?????....i think not

Sprint_Girl
Waterboy

Post by Sprint_Girl »

Haha Once again, I agree with you KnowIt12!
If cheerleading is a sport then Im George Bush!
Anybody can cheer and chant just like those girls can, (or sometimes guys).
But I bet you half of cheerleaders cant even play basketball, or even run track!
Thats just my opinion.... :122245

And yes I do see them on TV, at competitions..but come on...it just dancing. Most people would not consider it a sport.

rhhscheer
Waterboy

Post by rhhscheer »

actually we have girls that play basketball, run track, and play volleyball.
oh SURPRISE!
and do you think you could tumble like a cheerleader?
I THINK NOT!
its not that easy.

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

cheerleaders around this area dont tumble...so it doest matter and i probably could do a little kick and shout here and there...that make me an athelete?...negative

Sprint_Girl
Waterboy

Post by Sprint_Girl »

actually we have girls that play basketball, run track, and play volleyball.
oh SURPRISE!
and do you think you could tumble like a cheerleader?
I THINK NOT!
its not that easy.

WOW..yeah probably only one girl!!! haha
cheerleading is not a sport. sorry :lol:

U know?
Riding the Bench

Post by U know? »

I think that the South Gallia cheerleaders can tumble. All of them.(If I'm correct) not sure.

KnowIt2
Riding the Bench

Post by KnowIt2 »

U know? wrote:Na, that's okay. You can have it so it will shut your mouth and stop you from putting these ATHLETES down. S.G. also has girls that play basketball and volleyball and cheer and they're good at all of them. What can you say about that? Their are schools that do have cheerleaders that just stand there on the sidelines and yell go team go but S.G. definately isn't one of them. You guys would be so sore if you tryed to do anything that good cheerleading squads do. It would feel like a football player hitting you, you would probably even feel worse! So, know what your talking about before running your mouth about these athletes that work their butts off and are awesome!

yea...they play ball too, cause there are like 100 at S.G....and you are tell me that doing a 'toe touch' would feel like gettin hit by a 240 lb. linebacker?...i think not...

VBFAN#1
Riding the Bench

Post by VBFAN#1 »

Knowit2
Have you ever been to a basketball game with no cheerleaders, no band, no student section and have found the game exciting? Disrespecting cheerleading is disrespecting everyone who supports any athletic program. Lets call the waterboy or athletic trainer a name and say they have no relevance. Lets also kick off the guys who give a 100% everyday but never start a game and tell them that they cant yell and support their teammates.
Cheerleaders requires athleticism and dedication and deserves respect. If the OHSAA would recognize it as a sport and there was a legitimate conference championship then this argument would go away. Many girls do cheer and play other sports and succeed academically at a level higher than your top notch male athletes. How many of the top athletes in our area actually go to the next level in sports or in life v/s that of a cheerleader?

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

Cheerleading gets a bad rap because most schools hire somebody's mother to be the advisor. This turns out to be a bad deal 99% of the time. If the girls get along at the start, they probably won't by season's end. It get's real petty and really old.

Return to “The Off season”