Wheelersburg 08-09

therepublican
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg 08-09

Post by therepublican »

Well, good post 1fan1. I think you hit it on the nose with everything you said. The players will be a little young but that builds a good foundation for the coming years. Barrick will have them ready regardless of age, winning is the only thing he accepts. Also, Cam was Burg rooted boy, I remind you both his parents graduated from Burg...yes Seth trailed behind. Some transfers have quite or not played the following year b/c they couldn't take him...But I think Burg will be tested early with Belpre and Ironton in the first few games...I think if we do lose it will be no more than 4 to 5 games and that would be a lot. I am taking into that count maybe an SOC loss or two on a couple bad nights of playing which does happen. But that is worst case... they will make it to RIO with a few wins but not sure after that.

You all can see the Burg at the annual chili dinner coming up! They scrimmage Eastern Pike, so you all can get an opinion yourself..I think it is 5 dollars for the dinner and the scrimmage! This is on November 25th...at 5.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Does this mean that they are not having meet the team with the chili dinner or are they doing both?

Would anyone happen to know any other scrimmages open to the public? Not that I would ever go to such a thing. :roll:

Someone can e-mail them to me if they know.

drrabb@zoomnet.net

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

The scrimmage against Eastern Pike is during the chili dinner..and then afterwards they are introducing the girls team and so on...so there will be meet the team also just with a scrimmage first...I like the idea a lot. Other scrimmages Dr. Rabbit..sure are...

Nov 22 away at southeastern H.S. at 10 am

Nov 25 ...eastern pike..chili dinner

Nov 28 S.O.C preview... at Valley

Nov 29 vs Manchester and Wellston(Casey Love former Oak hill player) Home @ 1 p.m.

Dec 2 O.H.S.A.A. foundation game vs East High at 6 p.m.

Dec 6 is the first home opener of the season!!!!!!!!!!

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Thanks a lot, I will get these on my schedule. Now I just need the girls and any freshmen scrimmages that are not with varsity. :)

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Sorry Dr. Rab...don't know anything about the girls.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

I didn't figure you would. I will get them before I need them from somewhere.

:aaaaa46

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

therepublican wrote:The scrimmage against Eastern Pike is during the chili dinner..and then afterwards they are introducing the girls team and so on...so there will be meet the team also just with a scrimmage first...I like the idea a lot. Other scrimmages Dr. Rabbit..sure are...

Nov 22 away at southeastern H.S. at 10 am

Nov 25 ...eastern pike..chili dinner

Nov 28 S.O.C preview... at Valley

Nov 29 vs Manchester and Wellston(Casey Love former Oak hill player) Home @ 1 p.m.

Dec 2 O.H.S.A.A. foundation game vs East High at 6 p.m.Dec 6 is the first home opener of the season!!!!!!!!!!

What is that? Is that something new and is that against Portsmouth East? I think it has been a long time since they have played East.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

I personally have no idea what it is, but it is on their schedule.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

But, it is a scrimmage not a real game.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

The game against East is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage. Both the JV and Varsity will play a regular game with score clock, book, and officials. The "game" will benefit the scholarship programs of both schools with all the money going to this cause. East will bring a good crowd and you the Pirates will have a crowd to open the new gym. Just call this a dress rehearsal for the first official game. Burg may not have too many to play if they keep winning football games.

satis5
Waterboy

Re: Burg B-Ball 08-09 Season

Post by satis5 »

ignert1 wrote:What happend to Zaide Whitley? I watched him play AAU this summer and was looking forward to watching him play ball this year. He was playing up a year and was still scoring 20 to 30 points a game. Very nice touch on his shot and a good kid.

Whitley is ready to play basketball. Seen him shooting in the gym less than a week ago...nice...the kid looks like he has put on some size...hard worker...should help the Stegman kid make a force for the next several years at the Burg.

satis5
Waterboy

Post by satis5 »

Sawdust wrote:The Ward boy will be a tremendous help at Guard this year. He is a Soph. and started last year on the JV. 'Burg will be fun to watch this year.

Ward will be tough for burg

satis5
Waterboy

Post by satis5 »

91Grad wrote:
footballfan49 wrote:Sounds like there is a real log jam at Wheelersburg at the Point Guard position coming up over the next 4 years or so at Burg, Whitley is the real deal and has size which none of the 8th grade guards have, and then you have some real point guards in the 7th and 6th. The guard picture is bright at Wheelersburg but may produce some hurt feelings over time.

This is true at every position for Burg, they have great athletes at every grade level..Whitley is a great player and is going to be a good one , I look forward to watching him in the coming years at Burg..

That makes two of us.

satis5
Waterboy

Post by satis5 »

backdoor54 wrote:Lang deserves to be a captain. He is the heart and soul of the team on or off the court. Captains are named over the summer, and there is no way coach Barrick could have predicted an injury, obviously. That being said, they have a captain on the floor and Lang is the true leader of the team.

I agree . It is Langs team.

Burgs the Word
Waterboy

Post by Burgs the Word »

I think the pirates will do well this year. Yes they will be young and inexperienced but you can never count out there heart and desire along with Coach B. Stegman will provide good low post presence and should be one of the best bigs around IMO.

Its a shame this Burg team could have been really really good and continued there state tradition the past few years, but after injuries, transfers, and kids quitting bball to focus on other sports they must now rely on the youth. Imagine if this burg team still had the older Schankwiler playing, Lang and Zaide injury free along with one who some people might not know, Ben Bowman who transfered from the Burg in middle school who is now committed to Virginia Tech. They could have had a special team!!

I still feel they will have a successful season, just might start out rough in the begginning

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

When Ben Bowman left for Virginia due to his family's relocating for employment, the Burg really lost an amazing basketball player--and so did the girls' team! Can you imagine if he had stayed, he would have played guard alongside Cam and Drew, and that would have been three DI players on the floor together! Wow!
Ben has committed early to Virginia Tech, and I think he is now finishing his senior year of high school. His sister is already there at VT.
Elon NC plays Virginia Tech. just before Thanksgiving, and I know Ben will probably be there to watch his old friend (Drew) from grade school and ND pre-school play against his soon-to-be college team! Good luck to Ben Bowman during his senior year of high school. The best is yet to be for him.
Good luck to the new Wheelersburg team, too. They will build their own tradition with a good group of kids, hard workers. I think Shane Ward and Nick Kemper could be key contributers, if given the opportunity.

Return to “Boys Basketball”