Best QB's in SEOPs Coverage Area History

ironman02
SEOP

Re: best qb's past 25 years?

Post by ironman02 »

Loved watching Jared Humphreys at QB for the Ironmen. Every time he touched the ball, there was a chance that he was going to take it to the house. One of the best all-around athletes that I've ever seen at the high school level. Definitely one of SE Ohio's best dual threat QBs.

Another one from Jackson is Joey Boggs. Until Humphreys, he was the best QB I had seen at Jackson. Even though he didn't get a chance too often, Joey could really throw the football. He was a great leader as well...always stepped up and made a play when it was needed. As was mentioned about Jonathan Eaton above, he could hide the football with the best of them.

Interesting note about Jonathon Eaton. His family lived in the house that I grew up in years before my family moved in. Wish the Eaton family would have stayed in Jackson!

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

ironman02 wrote:Interesting note about Jonathon Eaton. His family lived in the house that I grew up in years before my family moved in. Wish the Eaton family would have stayed in Jackson!

Thats is interesting...my mother was the Eaton's babysitter while she was in high school...so she has got some interesting tales of Jonathon and his bros :lol: The house they moved into was right down the street from hers.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
Redman wrote:AJ Edwards of Ironton, can`t rember the year , mabe 84, 85
Jonathon Eaton of WheelersBurg (best at hiding the ball I ever seen !)
Both were great to watch !

Wheelersburgs got another one playing right now that is just as good at hiding the ball on the fake and going around the end with it and he's only a sophmore. He scored that game winning TD against Minford last Saturday on an incredible fake and went almost untouched for 65 yards. I believe he's had a couple TD's called back this year because of the plays being blown dead when the officials didn't realize he still had the ball and that used to happen to Eaton all the time. I remember Jonathon got to the point that once he was in the open he would hold the ball up so the officials could see it and they still blew it dead a few times. Brandon Schankweiler is the boys name and by the time he is a senior I believe he will be amongst the best to ever play in this area.

I`m sure I`ve seen Him ! I now live in Minford, and have for 20 years. He is good, but not like Eaton.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Problem with Chris Smith was he tried to throw a 5 or 10 yard pass like he did a 65 yard pass!A back would come out of the backfield and he would tattoo them with a 95mph fastball,NO TOUCH!But you are right about the deep ball,I have never seen anyone throw it as well as him except maybe his older brother!
Last edited by earp on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cghornet10
JV Team

Post by cghornet10 »

I watched Nate Davis (Bellaire) play against Ironton in Athens a few years ago. Playoff game, 3OT thriller.. I know you 'Tiger Faithful' were there.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Eaton was tough. He had a rocket arm and a ball fake that destroyed our defense. he could run ok too. He is probably the best overall athlete to come out of Scioto Co in the last 25 years.

I watched Nate Davis play against Ironton, tremendous QB. Glad to see him leading Ball St.

Mark Swinning was a very good QB for Waverly during the early 90's. He had a great arm, but he couldnt run near as well as Eaton.

riverball
JV Team

Post by riverball »

I would have to say Joe Ferguson from SV. I watched this guy and played against him. He was unbelievable.

West_Sider
Freshman Team

Post by West_Sider »

Bleeding Red wrote:Eaton was tough. He had a rocket arm and a ball fake that destroyed our defense. he could run ok too. He is probably the best overall athlete to come out of Scioto Co in the last 25 years.

I watched Nate Davis play against Ironton, tremendous QB. Glad to see him leading Ball St.

Mark Swinning was a very good QB for Waverly during the early 90's. He had a great arm, but he couldnt run near as well as Eaton.

I'll tell you a funny Mark Swinning story. I was playing baseball at West, a sophmore pitcher starting my first SOC game. In the #5 hole was this big geeky lookin guy with glasses in the first inning. I had walked a runner earlier, so one on first. I looked at this guy and decided to groove a first pitch fastball to get ahead in the count. That big geeky lookin dude smacked the cork out of the ball and hit it dead center over the fence. The guy on first missed 3 rd base as he was rounding it. We had 2 outs and apealed to the ump. He was called out. So the home run didnt count. I went back to the dugout and asked my coach, who is that guy that hit that ball. He said Mark Swinning. (I had met him earlier that year at a party, but without the glasses.) I just shook my head. The next time he came up I left thread marks on his side. :122246

Also what was tough about Eaton was that he would fake, and then he carried out his fake out to the line of scrimmage but he would always jog. At least one time in every game he would fake to the RB and then carry out his fake outside to the line of scrimmage .........jogging.......then all of the sudden he would produce the ball and start jetting down the sideline. He got us once when I was a senior. And we watched the Minford tape that week (which was a really good game) and Eaton was jogging up-field past the LOS about 5 yards and then just took off. Never seen anyone be able to hide the ball like Eaton. I thought I had his fingers in a pile one time, and I was intent on breaking them (it was our only hope) unfortuanatly I was bending back the fingers of our defensive end........ :122248

Tcat wahoo
Waterboy

Post by Tcat wahoo »

Trimble has had some great QB's

Kevin Meade
Mike Roback
Mark Echstenkamper

They were the 3 best.

its a game
Waterboy

Post by its a game »

Best QB local Trimble
Brady Trace was good but he
can't top Roger Bingman grad year? "OLD"
Mike Roback "Old Old" he may have missed the 25 yr cutoff. :lol:

converterfan
Freshman Team

Post by converterfan »

ill say ryan ainsworth(80s) or josh sands from Ironton........ not much recognition ......but for being a running team both were great athletes and could have gone somewhere .....if it wasnt for the smashmouth runnin football that ironton does!!!!!! they did have the abilitily to throw the ball too!!!!!!

ace63
SE

Post by ace63 »

noreply66 wrote:Didn't Cook from the Bengals play at Chillicothe????

or am I thinking too quick

I think he did. he would have been one of the best qb in the nfl , but he played with a bad elbow and ruined his arm. They didnt know that much back then , you just played hurt.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

If you go back to the early 80s... Taggart from Nelsonville-York has to be one of the best... AND he led them to a state title!

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

SP's Smith, Eaton from 'Burg and Walls from Waverly.
On a side note: I read the thread from West_Sider and I can only hope that you NEVER have kids or are in anyway allowed to be affiliated with a sports organization where you can influence a child. What type of twisted mentality enables you to think that injuring an opponent because you can't beat them straight up is funny? This is why the West side has gotten such a bad rap over the last 30-40 years. Flame me if you want, I don't care. I am just saying what most of Southern Ohio has thought for a long time. Tell me I mis-read your post and I will humbly apologize.

satis5
Waterboy

Post by satis5 »

Eaton and Kaskey from Burg. I do not agree with Shank as an all time great. He is athletic and can fake but his arm is a major weekness and yes grade wise he is only a soph but he is already 16 or17 so how much arm strenght can we hope to gain? 5'9" does not help here either...I can see him being a running back by the time his senior season rolls around.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

In the past 25 years, Nate Davis from Bellaire.

Before that Cook-Chillicothe
Schlichter-Miami Trace

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

Andy Clark from Chesapeake 1999 11-1 was a GREAT QB, argueably won of the greatest team ever at Chesapeake. Lead the Peake to the second round playoff loss against Amanda Clearcreek (state champs that year) now is on the Coaching staff for Chesapeake and could be next head coach for Chesapeake when Davis leaves.

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

from valley: Scott Rolfe played at Muskingham also played baseball there Brian Bear played at Urbana, Brandon Turner now playing baseball again at Mt Vernon after tommy john surgery and Chris Lundy

jenna's daddy
Waterboy

Post by jenna's daddy »

Rex Kerns : COL in the 60's QB for 68 Ohio State Nat'l Champs

IHS Mark Lutz 88

WHS Miller 89

IHS toughest QB Mark Snyder

Bellaire QB Jose & Nate Davis

Kenton Benny Mauk

best I ever saw........easily was Mentor Lake Catholic's Pete Jelovic hurt in college at Kansas State

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Have never seen Eaton play, but have heard MANY stoires!
Shankweiler has to develop an arm and the skill to look off his "favorite" receiver & look at another open one. But he's young and that will come. For where he is right now. He will be a dandy the next 2 years!

Return to “Football”