The Wildest play call you have seen a H.S. Coach make?

Sports 101
Varsity

Re: THE WILDEST PLAYCALL YOU HAVE SEEN A HS COACH MAKE?

Post by Sports 101 »

last Sat. at the Burg game 4th and about 9 and the coach calls the old fumble ruski (where the rb gets it, and fakes like he sets it on the ground!!!)I mean roll out and let one of your athletes make a play...

nobodyspecial
Riding the Bench

Post by nobodyspecial »

Sports 101 wrote:last Sat. at the Burg game 4th and about 9 and the coach calls the old fumble ruski (where the rb gets it, and fakes like he sets it on the ground!!!)I mean roll out and let one of your athletes make a play...

Thank you,couldn't figure out what in the world was happening on that play.It looked weird.One would have to had seen that in person to realize(it was right in front of me)how absurd that play looked.

GreasyRidgeGuru
Waterboy

Post by GreasyRidgeGuru »

I saws East run the polecat against my buddies Matewan team when they won like 64-62.they ran it to tie the game up. the first 2 times they ran it Matewan didnt cover it and the big TE ran right down the field unseen. the third time they ran it again and the east coaches obviously told their QB the TE was open. He connected for a TD. I know this isnt High School, but...
In the 90's I saw WV State run a play where the QB acted confused and walked toward the bench with his hands in the air like he didnt undestand the coach's. They snapped the ball and the QB took off flying down the sideline.They snapped it to the TB and he threw a fade to the QB for a TD. Very imprssive when they ran it.the entire defense relaxed and got caught off guard.Back in the 80's WV-Tech (a WVIAC teamn at that time) ran some CRAZY stuff just to stay alive. They would line up in a regular I with like 10 yard gaps between the tackles and the guards.

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

We ran a play when I coached at Wellston. We were playing at Vinton County. We broke the huddle. The coach calls for trip receivers wide to Vinton's side line, tight end to our side single back. Qb goes to line behind center, but don't go under. He started the cadence, got everyone set, then he trots towards our sideline (mumbling to himself out loud as if le messed up) as if to talk to the coach. When he gets about the #s, the Tailback calls for the snap out of shot gun. Pull play side guard, and start sweep towards our sideline, Qb runs streak route. Tb has option to run or pass. We passed & completed for easy touchdown. Defense stood up and started to walk to their sideline thinking time was given. REFEREES CALLED THE PLAY BACK, STATING IT WAS ILLEGAL FOR THE QB TO GO IN MOTION. Perfectly legal as long as the Qb never puts his hands UNDER center. Great trick play without great risk but possible great rewards.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

nobodyspecial wrote:Ed Miller called a qb sneak in state championship game.We were 4th and 17 :lol: :lol: We lost.

Coach Miller only played in one state title game and that was in 1989 and the Burg won.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

old timer, the play you describe is illegal. It is known as wrong ball and is a lot like "where's the tee" those plays fall under the Unfair Acts rule 9-9 and are bush league at best and probably worse.

Read this casebook play and it explains why the rules makers say it is illegal.

9.9.3 Situation B: From a field goal formation, potential kicker A1 yells, “Where’s the tee?” A2 replies, “I’ll go get it” and goes legally in motion toward his team’s sideline. Ball is snapped to A1 who throws a touchdown pass to A2.
Ruling: Unsportsmanlike conduct prior to snap. The ball should be declared dead and the foul enforced as a dead-ball foul.
Comment: Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.

Just_A_Fan
Varsity

Post by Just_A_Fan »

Well 3rd and long we run a trick play called..........32 trap. I am pretty sure you guys know what school do this. This just didnt happen once it happens a few times a season.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
nobodyspecial wrote:Ed Miller called a qb sneak in state championship game.We were 4th and 17 :lol: :lol: We lost.

Coach Miller only played in one state title game and that was in 1989 and the Burg won.

WOW! I never went to Burg and knew that!
Thats pretty bad special!

cghornet10
JV Team

Post by cghornet10 »

CG QB faked a hand-off to the tailback and then threw it to a reciever :!: :!:

:lol:

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I am watching a game live right now between Mater Dei and Orange Lutheran (calf) with not only a share of a league title on the line for Orange but also a playoff birt(both of which Mater Dei has already earned) and the coach for Orange has went for it on 4th down six times. His team has converted 5 of 6.

Awesome game to be watching 14-14 with 8:00 left in the final quarter.

I have watched Mater Dei play already this year and knew they were good.I have heard about Orange but had not watched them play until tonight.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

Just_A_Fan wrote:Well 3rd and long we run a trick play called..........32 trap. I am pretty sure you guys know what school do this. This just didnt happen once it happens a few times a season.

Sounds like ex Minford head coach Bob Ashley's method of play calling. Except he would run 32 trap for the first 3 downs also.....

Knowbody
Waterboy

Post by Knowbody »

Just out of curiosity, who was head coach then? I bet I can guess.

old-timer wrote:We ran a play when I coached at Wellston. We were playing at Vinton County. We broke the huddle. The coach calls for trip receivers wide to Vinton's side line, tight end to our side single back. Qb goes to line behind center, but don't go under. He started the cadence, got everyone set, then he trots towards our sideline (mumbling to himself out loud as if le messed up) as if to talk to the coach. When he gets about the #s, the Tailback calls for the snap out of shot gun. Pull play side guard, and start sweep towards our sideline, Qb runs streak route. Tb has option to run or pass. We passed & completed for easy touchdown. Defense stood up and started to walk to their sideline thinking time was given. REFEREES CALLED THE PLAY BACK, STATING IT WAS ILLEGAL FOR THE QB TO GO IN MOTION. Perfectly legal as long as the Qb never puts his hands UNDER center. Great trick play without great risk but possible great rewards.

nobodyspecial
Riding the Bench

Post by nobodyspecial »

Neutron Man wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:

WOW! I never went to Burg and knew that!
Thats pretty bad special!

I remember when we won that game. was trying to pinpoint year when he did that.I know it was a big game at the time.Sorry memory is failing but it did happen.Would have been around that time and I thought it was in shoe.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

If I remember correctly the play that Wheelersbug won the State Title on a pass to the left to the short side of an unbalanced line. Was a very good call because they sent out three receivers to the short side and it messed up the pass coverage. The defense was out of position because of the use of the unbalanced formation. ;-)

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

JohnKnight wrote:old timer, the play you describe is illegal. It is known as wrong ball and is a lot like "where's the tee" those plays fall under the Unfair Acts rule 9-9 and are bush league at best and probably worse.

Read this casebook play and it explains why the rules makers say it is illegal.

9.9.3 Situation B: From a field goal formation, potential kicker A1 yells, “Where’s the tee?” A2 replies, “I’ll go get it” and goes legally in motion toward his team’s sideline. Ball is snapped to A1 who throws a touchdown pass to A2.
Ruling: Unsportsmanlike conduct prior to snap. The ball should be declared dead and the foul enforced as a dead-ball foul.
Comment: Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.

JK, I wonder what year it was? If I recall correctly, this play was "legal" at one time, just like the lonesome polecat, snake-in-the-grass, etc.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

It was not legal just not "technically" illegal.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

JohnKnight wrote:It was not legal just not "technically" illegal.

Heck, back in those days, pretty much everything was "legal", but in the growing days of political correctness and fairness, such plays were put under the umbrella of the unfair acts rule, which I agree with. But not all have been covered, yet. Right John?

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

How about the old Center Sneak! I was coaching when this play was called against Meigs. The play went for about 35 yds for a touchdown. We ended up winning by a field goal. Looks similar to the fumble roosky, but we would actually change the center and the guard, to keep the ball from having to be laid on the ground. This play probably wouldn't work today with instant replay, but wait, that not available in high school yet!

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

old-timer wrote:How about the old Center Sneak! I was coaching when this play was called against Meigs. The play went for about 35 yds for a touchdown. We ended up winning by a field goal. Looks similar to the fumble roosky, but we would actually change the center and the guard, to keep the ball from having to be laid on the ground. This play probably wouldn't work today with instant replay, but wait, that not available in high school yet!

Please explain it more, please. The center sneak is illegal in today's rule book as is the fumblerooski.

tealc
Waterboy

Post by tealc »

Indeed, many plays are illegal now!

Return to “Football”