The Wildest play call you have seen a H.S. Coach make?

madpolecat
All State

Re: THE WILDEST PLAYCALL YOU HAVE SEEN A HS COACH MAKE?

Post by madpolecat »

Eventually, running the ball and being under center will be illegal, and my takeover of football will be complete!!!!

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Long live the polecat!!!!

VernonHowell
Waterboy

Post by VernonHowell »

The forward pass was a creation of the Godless savages!

old-timer
Freshman Team

Post by old-timer »

The center sneak? The center would snap the ball as normal, but would not give it to the Qb. The qb & backs ran option to wide side of the field, center stayed in crouch position with ball tucked away. As defenders pursued the play, backside guard led center down the field. When returned to huddle, normal center called huddle. Guards would return to huddle in normal position to make it look like the roosky. Ran once, went for touchdown.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Center sneak is Illegal.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

The center sneak would have to be run against d-linemen who are not worth their weight in sand. And the linebackers must not be able to read well either.

Linebacking and defensive line rule number one, read your keys. O-linemen don't give false keys

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

boogerred wrote:The center sneak would have to be run against d-linemen who are not worth their weight in sand. And the linebackers must not be able to read well either.

Linebacking and defensive line rule number one, read your keys. O-linemen don't give false keys

Good O-linemen don't give false keys...all the other ones do.

Some teams have plays involving a guard being pulled to misdirect the LBs when in fact the play is running away from the pull.

OZZIEOHIO wrote:Center sneak is Illegal.

Ahhh yes....the "Annexation of Puerto Rico" :lol:

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Yeah, there are two plays that I can think of that pull people to get the flow going the wrong way.

1. The influence trap - an inside trap play where both guards are pulled. This is mainly done to run a trap at a stud defensive lineman who reads well and when his guard pulls to the outside he follows; then he is legally clipped by the BSG. But a the BSLB should read his guard and should be able to make the play. I have never seen the influence trap run at the high-school level.

2. Counter-waggle roll-away - fake the counter down to the right and pull BSG and BST, then pull the other guard to lead block for the qb who has the pass/run option. I am sure everyone has seen this one at the high school level.

Of course, whoever has the chalk last wins and i am sure there are other ones, but these are the exceptions not the rule.

I also agree that good linemen don't give false keys, as I said the linemen must not be worth their weight in sand. Another thing is that bad linemen don't give false keys on purpose.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Believe it or not I know a school that ran the influence trap in the 70's in Southeastern Ohio.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

If anyone around here had seen it run in high school, I figured you would be the one.

Probably seen a lot more than that.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

old-timer wrote:The center sneak? The center would snap the ball as normal, but would not give it to the Qb.

Snap infraction. In a hand to hand snap, a back must touch it or it must hit the ground before a lineman can advance it.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

boogerred-Actually did it as a player running Buck Trap many years ago.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I tell you what that will definitely mess with a stud DT. Nothing is more educational than a facemask into the small of the back.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Which is totally legal in the free-blocking zone.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

boogerred wrote:Which is totally legal in the free-blocking zone.

A facemask to the small of the back would not be legal. It would be illegal helmet contact, more specifically butt-blocking. Leading with the helmet/facemask was taken out of the game a long time ago. Yes, it occurs in the trenches, but leading on a trap with the facemask to the back; that's intentional and illegal. Now, if you want to use a shoulder pad to the back, then ok in the FBZ, but facemask, no.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

If the down man follows the pulling guard to the outside there would be no reason to block him, just turn up into the hole and lead the play and get your picture in the paper! :mrgreen:

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Many line coaches teach triple-point contact (face mask and both hands.) So I don't believe trapping with the face and hands is illegal.

Leading with the shoulder reminds me of an old football card I used to have of Mick Tinglehoff with both of his forearms up.

I also believe the influence trap is used to inflict pain on a DT and make hin think twice about bailing out when his guy pulls, which opens up the quick pitch again.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

boogerred wrote:Many line coaches teach triple-point contact (face mask and both hands.) So I don't believe trapping with the face and hands is illegal.

It really depends on the block. If the facemask is driven into the opponent, yes, I can't still see it being illegal even with both hands there. Most times, if proper technique is used it isn't an issue, but as you said, facemask into the small of the back, my mental picture of that is bad.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Bad mental picture maybe, but that's what'll happen.

Sometimes description like that are needed.

Jif
Riding the Bench

Post by Jif »

old-timer wrote:
How about the old Center Sneak! I was coaching when this play was called against Meigs. The play went for about 35 yds for a touchdown. We ended up winning by a field goal. Looks similar to the fumble roosky, but we would actually change the center and the guard, to keep the ball from having to be laid on the ground. This play probably wouldn't work today with instant replay, but wait, that not available in high school yet!

Please explain it more, please. The center sneak is illegal in today's rule book as is the fumblerooski.

It was illegal when Wellston ran it some years ago. At the time Wellston ran the rules sted on a fumblerooski (a lineman in the vicinity of the snapper must turn and face his goal line before carrying the ball) The officials just plain missed this one.

Return to “Football”