Next Coach at Logan?

koondoger
Freshman Team
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by koondoger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:10 pm

loganlocos wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:58 am
Chief02 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:31 pm
If I had to choose an SEOPS poster as the next coach, it would be Locos. 👍🏻
Do you think the admin would accept my experience coaching NCAA and Madden football games on the XBox? :lol: :lol:

But seriously - there were about 17 applicants. At least one of those already accepted a head coach job somewhere else. I think I heard there were two internal candidates.

Still not sure of a timeline, but I would imagine you'll see movement in January. There is a committee that will look at and interview applicants and be a part of the process.
Usually when a school delays the process like this it means someone has a coach in mind that they want, so they delay the process long enough to get people to drop out. It happens all the time. So, whoever they have in mind at Logan better be a good one or you'll have more of the same, cause that guy is getting the job. You can count on it. :mrgreen:


Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it!

loganlocos
SEOP
Posts: 3327
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by loganlocos » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:35 pm

ravensfan09 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:22 am
Is Coach Dale Amyx still teaching at Logan? Would he be interested in getting involved in the program again? Maybe as an assistant or consultant?
Yes, he is still teaching at Logan. He was involved with the committee last time and I think will be this time as well.

I think he is done coaching. He's been out of the game long enough. I think he's always been open to being an unofficial "consultant."



Chief02
Freshman Team
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Chief02 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:56 pm

loganlocos wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:58 am
Chief02 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:31 pm
If I had to choose an SEOPS poster as the next coach, it would be Locos. 👍🏻
Do you think the admin would accept my experience coaching NCAA and Madden football games on the XBox? :lol: :lol:

But seriously - there were about 17 applicants. At least one of those already accepted a head coach job somewhere else. I think I heard there were two internal candidates.

Still not sure of a timeline, but I would imagine you'll see movement in January. There is a committee that will look at and interview applicants and be a part of the process.
I think admin would accept that resume. 🤣

Hopefully the committee acts sooner than later. Like koondogger mentioned though, they may already have a candidate in mind.



ravensfan09
JV Team
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:29 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by ravensfan09 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:40 pm

loganlocos wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:35 pm
ravensfan09 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:22 am
Is Coach Dale Amyx still teaching at Logan? Would he be interested in getting involved in the program again? Maybe as an assistant or consultant?
Yes, he is still teaching at Logan. He was involved with the committee last time and I think will be this time as well.

I think he is done coaching. He's been out of the game long enough. I think he's always been open to being an unofficial "consultant."
He did it right! Whomever gets the job would be very wise to lean on him for his advice and knowledge....IMO!



loganlocos
SEOP
Posts: 3327
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by loganlocos » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 am

I wonder if Ron Hinton is still interested in coaching. If he has 2-3 years left he might be an interesting choice to re-establishment expectations at LHS.



Chief02
Freshman Team
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Chief02 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:50 am

loganlocos wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 am
I wonder if Ron Hinton is still interested in coaching. If he has 2-3 years left he might be an interesting choice to re-establishment expectations at LHS.
What was his reason for leaving Chillicothe?

Personally I would hope that we could find a younger, energetic coach that can get us back on the right path. I’m sure Hinton would be a good hire to fill a gap, but we would be back to uncertainty in 3 years or so.

Anyone know if the Trimble coach has interest?



Pitstop Billy
Freshman Team
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Pitstop Billy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 pm

Chief02 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:50 am
loganlocos wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 am
I wonder if Ron Hinton is still interested in coaching. If he has 2-3 years left he might be an interesting choice to re-establishment expectations at LHS.
What was his reason for leaving Chillicothe?

Personally I would hope that we could find a younger, energetic coach that can get us back on the right path. I’m sure Hinton would be a good hire to fill a gap, but we would be back to uncertainty in 3 years or so.

Anyone know if the Trimble coach has interest?

Hiring a Rutter is always a good move. Our two best coaches ever were rutters. Personally I would leave the active rutter at NYHS and go after the PE teacher. Our current coach probably would nt leave. The PE teacher is actually the better coach but not sure you can pry him out of coaching retirement.



koondoger
Freshman Team
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by koondoger » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Chief02 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:50 am
loganlocos wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 am
I wonder if Ron Hinton is still interested in coaching. If he has 2-3 years left he might be an interesting choice to re-establishment expectations at LHS.
What was his reason for leaving Chillicothe?

Personally I would hope that we could find a younger, energetic coach that can get us back on the right path. I’m sure Hinton would be a good hire to fill a gap, but we would be back to uncertainty in 3 years or so.

Anyone know if the Trimble coach has interest?
Trimble coach? He11 he's older than Hinton. You need to look southeast of Logan and west of Trimble for the answer. He's younger and took a loser only to turn them into a winner instantly. :mrgreen:


Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it!

Barber1973
Freshman Team
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Barber1973 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:16 pm

So ur saying Billy the P.E. teacher was the best at NY.Cmon man.u fergitting the legend? And ur saying the current coach is one of the best?



koondoger
Freshman Team
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by koondoger » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:20 pm

Barber1973 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:16 pm
So ur saying Billy the P.E. teacher was the best at NY.Cmon man.u fergitting the legend? And ur saying the current coach is one of the best?
I think that's what he's saying. Not saying I agree. I think the current coach is the best. And Davey's "legend" status was as a player wasn't it and not as a coach. There's only been 4 coaches so both the Trimble guys are in the top 3. :mrgreen:


Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it!

Chief02
Freshman Team
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Chief02 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:17 pm

koondoger wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm
Chief02 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:50 am
loganlocos wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 am
I wonder if Ron Hinton is still interested in coaching. If he has 2-3 years left he might be an interesting choice to re-establishment expectations at LHS.
What was his reason for leaving Chillicothe?

Personally I would hope that we could find a younger, energetic coach that can get us back on the right path. I’m sure Hinton would be a good hire to fill a gap, but we would be back to uncertainty in 3 years or so.

Anyone know if the Trimble coach has interest?
Trimble coach? He11 he's older than Hinton. You need to look southeast of Logan and west of Trimble for the answer. He's younger and took a loser only to turn them into a winner instantly. :mrgreen:
Didn’t say I wanted the Trimble coach. Just asked if he had interest as I had heard he did. That’s all....



User avatar
Logangrad
All Conference
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Logan; the South Side

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Logangrad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Scuttlebutt is a reduced list of 7 that will be interviewed. Heard it from 3 different people so take it for what it is.


Live Like A Champion!

Chief02
Freshman Team
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Chief02 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Logangrad wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:21 pm
Scuttlebutt is a reduced list of 7 that will be interviewed. Heard it from 3 different people so take it for what it is.
If true, getting closer to moving forward with a new leader of Chieftain Football Nation. I hope they embrace it.



loganlocos
SEOP
Posts: 3327
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by loganlocos » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:13 pm

Chief02 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:50 am
loganlocos wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 am
I wonder if Ron Hinton is still interested in coaching. If he has 2-3 years left he might be an interesting choice to re-establishment expectations at LHS.
What was his reason for leaving Chillicothe?

Personally I would hope that we could find a younger, energetic coach that can get us back on the right path. I’m sure Hinton would be a good hire to fill a gap, but we would be back to uncertainty in 3 years or so.

Anyone know if the Trimble coach has interest?
Trimble's coach was made for Trimble and Trimble was made for him.

Plus the Tomcats were young and expect to be better for the next couple of seasons than they were this year.


And I think any coach Logan hires might only be here for 3ish years. If Logan gets turned around he'd likely look north for a better job. And I'm fine with that.



loganlocos
SEOP
Posts: 3327
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by loganlocos » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Logangrad wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:21 pm
Scuttlebutt is a reduced list of 7 that will be interviewed. Heard it from 3 different people so take it for what it is.
That is more than I have heard but I trust your sources.



User avatar
Logangrad
All Conference
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Logan; the South Side

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Logangrad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Locos that’s why I called it “scuttlebutt” lol


Live Like A Champion!

55buckeyes98
All Conference
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by 55buckeyes98 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 pm

The assistant at Johnstown interviewed when this came open last time. I think he felt he was only interviewed because they thought he was the head coach at Johnstown. I don't think he applied, his son is in 4th grade now and too involved now with the youth league and coaching his son and his current friends to leave now. When the job came open first time his son had not started school yet and he was looking for a job due to getting his masters in school counseling and job insecurity at Licking Heights. I think he is happy with his current job in Columbus City and coaching at Johnstown with his uncle, who is the head coach. The head coach at Johnstown has no plans of leaving anytime soon. He is not too far away from retiring from teaching, but not coaching. That's what I "hear" lol



Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 19640
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Next to a lake somewhere
Contact:

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Orange and Brown » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:08 pm

55buckeyes98 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 pm
The assistant at Johnstown interviewed when this came open last time. I think he felt he was only interviewed because they thought he was the head coach at Johnstown. I don't think he applied, his son is in 4th grade now and too involved now with the youth league and coaching his son and his current friends to leave now. When the job came open first time his son had not started school yet and he was looking for a job due to getting his masters in school counseling and job insecurity at Licking Heights. I think he is happy with his current job in Columbus City and coaching at Johnstown with his uncle, who is the head coach. The head coach at Johnstown has no plans of leaving anytime soon. He is not too far away from retiring from teaching, but not coaching. That's what I "hear" lol
:D


The 2019 payback tour is coming to a town near you soon!
The Tradition continues
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

teach1coach2
Varsity
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by teach1coach2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm

In 2004 Tri-Valley was hunting for a new head football coach. It was a program that seldom had any success. After weeks of hunting for a coach they narrowed it to 3 candidates. The superintendent then took a step back and decided none of the 3 were really what the school needed. He reposted the job and started calling all the successful veteran football coaches in the area asking if they knew of any young guys who had no varsity coaching experience but have the potential to be a successful coach and build a program from the ground up. Coach Ifft at Dover told the supt. that an asst. that left Dover to become the defensive coordinator at Hillard Davidson a couple years back would be the type of guy he was hunting for. Supt. Doug Spade called Justin Buttermore and asked him to apply. He applied, met with committee, was offered the job and accepted it. The rest is history. A very successful 14 year history. Sometimes, someone just has to have the drive to do what it takes to find the best coach out there. Most just accept the best of what applies.



Chief02
Freshman Team
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Chief02 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:55 pm

teach1coach2 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm
In 2004 Tri-Valley was hunting for a new head football coach. It was a program that seldom had any success. After weeks of hunting for a coach they narrowed it to 3 candidates. The superintendent then took a step back and decided none of the 3 were really what the school needed. He reposted the job and started calling all the successful veteran football coaches in the area asking if they knew of any young guys who had no varsity coaching experience but have the potential to be a successful coach and build a program from the ground up. Coach Ifft at Dover told the supt. that an asst. that left Dover to become the defensive coordinator at Hillard Davidson a couple years back would be the type of guy he was hunting for. Supt. Doug Spade called Justin Buttermore and asked him to apply. He applied, met with committee, was offered the job and accepted it. The rest is history. A very successful 14 year history. Sometimes, someone just has to have the drive to do what it takes to find the best coach out there. Most just accept the best of what applies.
Amen! Logan needs to take that approach. If you think the coach has what it takes, regardless of varsity experience, take the chance. You can’t really be any worse than what we have been.



Raider6309
SEOPS H
Posts: 7337
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Athens

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by Raider6309 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:38 pm

Always surprised Logan never went after Penrod. That was pretty stupid. When he was at Alexander that would have been an easy hire but now he’s 100% Gallia



ravensfan09
JV Team
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:29 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by ravensfan09 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Raider6309 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:38 pm
Always surprised Logan never went after Penrod. That was pretty stupid. When he was at Alexander that would have been an easy hire but now he’s 100% Gallia
Coach Penrod would have been excellent hire for Logan, but I agree hes probably all in at Gallipolis.



55buckeyes98
All Conference
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by 55buckeyes98 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:27 pm

At this point who were some of the other candidates they overlooked that maybe could have done a better job?



User avatar
1987chieftains
SEOPS H
Posts: 7344
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by 1987chieftains » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:53 am

Don't know any names but the last I heard the list was down to 7.


AT THE RESERVATION

loganlocos
SEOP
Posts: 3327
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Next Coach at Logan?

Post by loganlocos » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:10 am

teach1coach2 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm
In 2004 Tri-Valley was hunting for a new head football coach. It was a program that seldom had any success. After weeks of hunting for a coach they narrowed it to 3 candidates. The superintendent then took a step back and decided none of the 3 were really what the school needed. He reposted the job and started calling all the successful veteran football coaches in the area asking if they knew of any young guys who had no varsity coaching experience but have the potential to be a successful coach and build a program from the ground up. Coach Ifft at Dover told the supt. that an asst. that left Dover to become the defensive coordinator at Hillard Davidson a couple years back would be the type of guy he was hunting for. Supt. Doug Spade called Justin Buttermore and asked him to apply. He applied, met with committee, was offered the job and accepted it. The rest is history. A very successful 14 year history. Sometimes, someone just has to have the drive to do what it takes to find the best coach out there. Most just accept the best of what applies.
This is a great story.

Logan's admin has definitely talked with area coaches - looking for someone who has the potential to be a game changer the way someone like Buttermore or Penrod have been at TV/Alex/Gallia/Granville. But let's be honest - it still takes some luck. A lot of schools think they have hired "that guy" - and they don't work out. Not every risk becomes a Justin Buttermore.

I don't believe Logan has stuck solely to the candidates who applied. I think they've gone out looking for the right person.


In reality - a lack of league and thus control over the schedule is going to be a major hurdle.

Still, I am optimistic about a couple of names I have heard. We'll have to wait and see.



Post Reply

Return to “Football”