D6 Region 21

EasternDspy
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 12568
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:46 pm

D6 Region 21

Post by EasternDspy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Region 21

Belpre 6-4
Brookfield 3-7
Buckeye Trail 5-5
Middlefield Cardinal 4-6
Columbiana 6-4
Crooksville 2-8
Dalton 4-6
East Canton 7-3
East Palestine 5-5
Fed Hock 0-9
Fort Frye 12-1
LeBrae 9-1
Youngstown Liberty 7-3
Campbell Memorial 0-10
Mineral Ridge 2-8
Mogadore 11-2
Trimble 13-2
Nelsonville York 4-6
Newcomerstown 0-10
Newton Falls 5-5
Pymatuning Valley 2-8
Rittman 3-7
Salineville Southern 9-2
Springfield Local 9-1
Tusky Valley 5-5
Hanoverton United 8-2
BC Western Reserve 8-2



User avatar
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 13074
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Southeastern Ohio
Contact:

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by 93Bulldog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 pm

So basically they blew up old region 23 and spread the teams out over 3 different regions?

Belpre, Youngstown teams, Nelsonville-York and East Canton in the same region. Sounds legit. Lol



bsee12345
JV Team
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:53 am

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by bsee12345 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Mogadore, LaBrae, Springfield Local, BC Western Reserve, Fort Frye, Trimble should all be the running for the playoffs. Based off last year numbers Fort Frye would have finished 3rd in this region and Trimble would have finished 8th. Many of the teams making the playoffs in Region 21 have moved to other regions in 2019. LaBrae finished in 3rd position in Division V and won it 1st game and lost in the 2nd playoff game last year. This will be a tough region for the southern teams to win.



User avatar
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 13074
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Southeastern Ohio
Contact:

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by 93Bulldog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 pm

The new Division VI, Region 21 consists of 13 different counties, 3 different OHSAA districts (Southeast, East & Northeast). Four counties are the furthest northeast corner of the state, Ashtabula, Trumbull, Mahoning and Columbiana. If Nelsonville-York plays Pymatuning Valley in the first round - you are looking at a 227 mile trip or roughly 3 hours and 59 minutes.



formerfcfan
All State
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:41 pm
Location: Amanda, OH

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by formerfcfan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:53 pm

93Bulldog wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 pm
So basically they blew up old region 23 and spread the teams out over 3 different regions?

Belpre, Youngstown teams, Nelsonville-York and East Canton in the same region. Sounds legit. Lol
There’s a lot of D6-sized programs north-and-west of State Route 3, and east of US 23 (which is the new Region 22.) And there’s also a lot of D6-sized programs between Ft. Recovery/St. Henry, US 23/west of and the Ohio state lines (Region 23.) Can’t speak for the OHSAA, their methodology and whether or not GIS-modeling influences their region formation, but it appears to be the case that the closest concentration of schools helped shape two “no-brainer” regions (22 and 23), and 21 and 24 are just dilapidated messes because of the scarcity of D6 programs across the major metro areas covered (Columbus, Cincinnati/Dayton and Youngstown/Warren) as well as all the areas between.



EasternDspy
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 12568
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by EasternDspy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:57 pm

This is a mess and terrible for southeasternohioprep teams.



formerfcfan
All State
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:41 pm
Location: Amanda, OH

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by formerfcfan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:00 pm

93Bulldog wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 pm
The new Division VI, Region 21 consists of 13 different counties, 3 different OHSAA districts (Southeast, East & Northeast). Four counties are the furthest northeast corner of the state, Ashtabula, Trumbull, Mahoning and Columbiana. If Nelsonville-York plays Pymatuning Valley in the first round - you are looking at a 227 mile trip or roughly 3 hours and 59 minutes.
There’s been a year or two where the old Region 23/Division VI (in the former six-division format) went as far south (and southwest) as Symmes Valley and went as far north/northeast as Columbiana (which is 30 minutes from Youngstown.) There has been years where it went up to the Mansfield area and directly west of Mansfield. There just isn’t a magic bullet to region formation. Plus, let’s not forget this is what the member schools asked for when they passed the competitive balance proposal!



User avatar
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 13074
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Southeastern Ohio
Contact:

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by 93Bulldog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:01 pm

I was for certain this was going to be Region 23

Belpre
Buckeye Trail
Crooksville
Fed Hock
Fort Frye
Nelsonville-York
Centerburg
Fredricktown
Hillsdale
Hopewell Loudon
Loudonville
Trimble
Northmor
Northridge
Columbus Grove
Adena
Africentric
Coal Grove
Grandview heights
Huntington
Paint Valley
Southeastern
Lucasville Valley
Worthington Christian



EasternDspy
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 12568
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by EasternDspy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:20 pm

93Bulldog wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:01 pm
I was for certain this was going to be Region 23

Belpre
Buckeye Trail
Crooksville
Fed Hock
Fort Frye
Nelsonville-York
Centerburg
Fredricktown
Hillsdale
Hopewell Loudon
Loudonville
Trimble
Northmor
Northridge
Columbus Grove
Adena
Africentric
Coal Grove
Grandview heights
Huntington
Paint Valley
Southeastern
Lucasville Valley
Worthington Christian

I had it looking like this.

1. Adena
2. Belpre
3. Buckeye Trail
4. Cardington Lincoln
5. Centerburg
6. Crooksville
7. Coal Grove
8. Fairbanks
9. Fort Frye
10. Grandview Heights
11. Huntington
12. Nelsonville
13. Newcomerstown
14. Northmor
15. Johnstown Northridge
16. Paint Valley
17. Southeastern
18. Valley
19. Worthington Christian
20. Fredricktown
21. Federal Hocking
22. Elgin
23. East Knox
24. Trimble



NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H
Posts: 7185
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:49 pm

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by NYBuckeye96 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:29 am

I'm not familiar with some of these schools. Based on what I recognize, I think Mogadore and BC Western Reserve would be the two most year in and year out tradition-rich schools NY has not yet played. Am I missing any others?



NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H
Posts: 7185
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:49 pm

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by NYBuckeye96 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 am

A newspaper around Mogadore has a breakdown of the new region. It discusses top contenders and what not. They mention Fort Frye and Nelsonville-York among others as top contendars, but make no mention at all of Trimble for some reason?

https://www.record-courier.com/sports/2 ... -region-21
What Mogadore faces in Region 21

To make sense of the new football regions, I examined the past five seasons for every team in the following regions: 5, 9, 13, 17, 21 and 25. I also looked at every team’s all-time playoff history. I did not look at current roster construction; that would be a project of an entirely different magnitude.

Division VI, Region 21

Local(s): Mogadore

Mogadore: For the last couple years, it has been Kirtland, Mogadore, Norwayne and Rootstown at the top of Region 21. Now, of that bunch, only the Wildcats remain, and they have one of the longest playoff streaks in the state.

Region 21 Outlook: Some regions got much harder. Some got significantly easier. It’s not clear Region 21 took a big step in either direction, but in terms of pure movement, Region 21 takes the cake. The region lost a number of perennial contenders, including six of eight playoff teams from last year. While Kirtland, McDonald, Norwayne, Rootstown and many others leave for Region 17 or Region 22, a number of strong programs enter, including East Canton, East Palestine, Fort Frye, LaBrae and Nelsonville-York. In short, the Region 21 playoff chase of 2019 will likely look drastically different than that of the past couple of years.

Notable Newcomers:

Belpre (from Division VI, Region 23): Since a winless 2011, the Golden Eagles have been 4-6 or better every year, including playoff berths in 2014 and 2015. Last year, Belpre went 6-4, with two of its losses coming by a single touchdown.

Dalton (from Division VII, Region 25): Starting in 2001, the Bulldogs have made nine playoff appearances since the turn of the millennium.

East Canton (from Division VII, Region 25): At least one PTC County school has stayed familiar with the Hornets, with Rootstown taking on East Canton every season since the Hornets left the County, with the Rovers winning four of six.


East Palestine (from Division V, Region 17): The Bulldogs have been .500 or better every year since 2015, including a pair of playoff appearances in 2017 and 2015 that ended in first-round losses to Mogadore and Sandy Valley, respectively.

Fort Frye (from Division VI, Region 23): After falling in overtime in the 2017 regional semifinals, the Cadets bounced back with a regional title in 2018, also recording their fourth straight 10-win season.

LaBrae (from Division V, Region 17): The Vikings have gone from a rare playoff team (one berth prior to 2008) to constant contender (five in the last 11 years).

Nelsonville-York (from Division VI, Region 23): The Buckeyes suffered a big drop from 2017, when they went 13-1 and made their first state final four since 1982, to 2018, when they went 4-6. They return first team all-state RB Keegan Wilburn.

Notable Departures:

Columbia (to Division VI, Region 22): Region 21 loses a perennial playoff team in the Raiders, who made the postseason (losing to Mogadore in the first round) last year and six of seven seasons from 2010 to 2016.

Garaway (to Division V, Region 17): The Pirates have had some big seasons of late, from 11-0 starts in 2014 and 2016 to a 7-0 start and 8-2 finish last year.

Independence (to Division VII, Region 25): Though the Blue Devils haven’t made the postseason since 2010, they’ve been in the race the last three years, going 7-3 in 2016 and 2017 and 6-4 last season.

Kirtland (to Division V, Region 17): The biggest move in or out of Region 21 is the departure of the Hornets, who made the state title game six of the last seven years.

Norwayne (to Division VI, Region 22): The Bobcats will help open the Wildcats’ new artificial turf field, as Mogadore hosts Norwayne in its 2019 opener. That said, there will be no playoff repeat. If the Bobcats do make their fourth straight postseason appearance, eighth in 11 years, it will be in Region 22.

McDonald (to Division VII, Region 25): The Wildcats lose one of their frequent postseason foes over the past several years. Three times since 2010, Mogadore met McDonald in the playoffs — with the Wildcats winning all three meetings.

Rootstown (to Division V, Region 17): The Rovers have been on one of the best stretches in school history with consecutive nine-win seasons. While Rootstown joins three PTC County foes (and longtime nemesis Waterloo) in Region 17, creating the opportunity for strong rivalries to extend long past Week 10, it’s a shame Rootstown and Mogadore never got to play in the postseason.

Steubenville Catholic Central (to Division VII, Region 25): While the Crusaders are 1-5 in the postseason since finishing as state runner-up in 2005, they are a frequent contender.

Waterloo (to Division V, Region 17): A Division VI team since 2013, the Vikings are back to Division V, seeking their first winning season since 2011.

OVERALL BREAKDOWN

Powerhouses:

Fort Frye: The Cadets would not have been considered a powerhouse until recently. Prior to 2012, Fort Frye made the playoffs exactly one time (2000), then went 0-10 the very next year, beginning a difficult seven-year stretch (8-62). Safe to say the Cadets have moved on with six playoff appearances in seven years.

Mogadore: The Wildcats are different. They’ve been “powerhouse” status for quite some time with 20 consecutive playoff appearances. In fact, you have to go back to 2011 for the last time they won less than nine games. Last year, Mogadore came up just shy against eventual state champ Kirtland in the regional title game.

Contenders:

Brookfield: While the Warriors have fallen on hard times of late, dropping from 10 wins in 2015 to seven in 2016, five in 2017 and three in 2018, they did make the playoffs four times from 2011 to 2015.

Columbiana: The Clippers have made the playoffs nine times since 2003 and have posted four straight winning seasons.

Dalton: The Bulldogs suffered quite the drop in 2018, going from 12 wins and Region 25 runner-up (by a single point to Cuyahoga Heights) in 2017 to 4-6. That said, Dalton has a record of success with nine playoff appearances since 2001.

East Canton: After going seven straight seasons without making the playoffs, the Hornets have reversed the trend, making Week 11 in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

East Palestine: The Bulldogs have finished .500 or better in four straight seasons, including two playoff berths, though they haven’t won a playoff game since 2002.

LaBrae: Since going 1-9 in 2012, the Vikings haven’t had a losing season, making the playoffs (the second round, no less) three times in the last four years.

Liberty: Since a winless 2011, the Leopards are 49-27, including three straight playoff berths (2012-2014) and two straight winning seasons (2017-present).

Nelsonville-York: The Region 23 champion in 2017 and a playoff qualifier in 2016 and 2014, the Buckeyes have made Week 11 on 10 occasions since 2003.

Southern Local: From 2013 to 2017, the Indians failed to post a winning record. That said, Southern has to be noted after a 9-2 campaign in 2018.

New Middletown Springfield: The Tigers were snubbed last season, missing out on the playoffs despite going 9-1, their fifth seven-plus win season in six years.

United: After a strong stretch from 2010 to 2014 that included two playoff berths and three winning records, the Golden Eagles suffered back-to-back 2-8 seasons. United appears to be back on track, going 6-4 in 2017 and 8-2 last year.

Western Reserve: Prior to 2006, the Blue Devils made one playoff appearance (1989). Since 2006, Western Reserve has 10. Not just that, but the Blue Devils have won seven-plus games every single season since going 6-4 in 2007.

SIGN UP FOR DAILY E-MAIL
Wake up to the day’s top news, delivered to your inbox




User avatar
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 13074
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Southeastern Ohio
Contact:

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by 93Bulldog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:51 am

Tonight's show on 970wath.com will be centered around DVI, Region 21.



EasternDspy
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 12568
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by EasternDspy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:10 pm

93Bulldog wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:51 am
Tonight's show on 970wath.com will be centered around DVI, Region 21.
Whoever made the decision did not seem to care about travel. In my opinion the region chart is trash for D6. It needs reworked.



User avatar
Raider6309
SEOPS HO
Posts: 8082
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Athens

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by Raider6309 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:18 pm

EasternDspy wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:10 pm
93Bulldog wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:51 am
Tonight's show on 970wath.com will be centered around DVI, Region 21.
Whoever made the decision did not seem to care about travel. In my opinion the region chart is trash for D6. It needs reworked.
Yeah. I hoping that dipstick from Western Reserve has to travel 4 hours to Glouster to lose by 30 :lol:



User avatar
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 13074
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Southeastern Ohio
Contact:

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by 93Bulldog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:31 pm

EasternDspy wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:10 pm
93Bulldog wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:51 am
Tonight's show on 970wath.com will be centered around DVI, Region 21.
Whoever made the decision did not seem to care about travel. In my opinion the region chart is trash for D6. It needs reworked.
Every other region in every other division that includes southeast Ohio teams follows a line on the map that includes the SE district, E district and C district except D6. There were 26 teams inside the lines to do it for 6, but they elected not to for some reason.



User avatar
NY BUCK
JV Team
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by NY BUCK » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Just by going off the maps app in my phone. From Nelsonville the distance from each team is pretty significant besides the southeastern Ohio teams.

Belpre: 55 Minutes
Brookfield: 3 Hours 34 Minutes
Buckeye Trail: 1 Hour 47 Minutes
Cardinal: 3 Hours 27 Minutes
Columbiana: 3 Hours 24 Minutes
Crooksville: 44 Minutes
Dalton: 2 Hours 33 Minutes
East Canton: 2 Hours 35 Minutes
East Palestine: 3 Hours 31 Minutes
Federal Hocking: 34 Minutes
Fort Frye: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
LaBrae: 3 Hours 23 Minutes
Liberty: 3 Hours 26 Minutes
Memorial: 3 Hours 30 Minutes
Mineral Ridge: 3 Hours 21 Minutes
Mogadore: 2 Hours 54 Minutes
Newcomerstown: 1 Hour 56 Minutes
Newton Falls: 3 Hour 17 Minutes
Pymatuning Valley: 4 Hours 5 Minutes
Rittman: 2 Hours 35 Minutes
Salineville Southern: 3 Hours 3 Minutes
Springfield Local: 3 Hours 37 Minutes
Trimble: 22 Minutes
Tuscarawas Valley: 2 Hours 6 Minutes
United: 3 Hours
Western Reserve: 3 Hours 5 Minutes

These distances are from in town not the school but that’s only a couple minutes difference. Plus on a bus these would be a little longer.



User avatar
Raider6309
SEOPS HO
Posts: 8082
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Athens

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by Raider6309 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:08 pm

The fastest way to the Youngstown area schools is to take 62 in Canton there. That’s a very curvy road. More than likely you would take the highway which adds 20-30 minutes



User avatar
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 13074
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 am
Location: Southeastern Ohio
Contact:

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by 93Bulldog » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:47 pm

NY BUCK wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:02 pm
Just by going off the maps app in my phone. From Nelsonville the distance from each team is pretty significant besides the southeastern Ohio teams.

Belpre: 55 Minutes
Brookfield: 3 Hours 34 Minutes
Buckeye Trail: 1 Hour 47 Minutes
Cardinal: 3 Hours 27 Minutes
Columbiana: 3 Hours 24 Minutes
Crooksville: 44 Minutes
Dalton: 2 Hours 33 Minutes
East Canton: 2 Hours 35 Minutes
East Palestine: 3 Hours 31 Minutes
Federal Hocking: 34 Minutes
Fort Frye: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
LaBrae: 3 Hours 23 Minutes
Liberty: 3 Hours 26 Minutes
Memorial: 3 Hours 30 Minutes
Mineral Ridge: 3 Hours 21 Minutes
Mogadore: 2 Hours 54 Minutes
Newcomerstown: 1 Hour 56 Minutes
Newton Falls: 3 Hour 17 Minutes
Pymatuning Valley: 4 Hours 5 Minutes
Rittman: 2 Hours 35 Minutes
Salineville Southern: 3 Hours 3 Minutes
Springfield Local: 3 Hours 37 Minutes
Trimble: 22 Minutes
Tuscarawas Valley: 2 Hours 6 Minutes
United: 3 Hours
Western Reserve: 3 Hours 5 Minutes

These distances are from in town not the school but that’s only a couple minutes difference. Plus on a bus these would be a little longer.
Has there ever been a 4 hour difference between two schools in a region in the history of Ohio high school football? Lol



formerfcfan
All State
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:41 pm
Location: Amanda, OH

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by formerfcfan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:15 pm

93Bulldog wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:47 pm
NY BUCK wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:02 pm
Just by going off the maps app in my phone. From Nelsonville the distance from each team is pretty significant besides the southeastern Ohio teams.

Belpre: 55 Minutes
Brookfield: 3 Hours 34 Minutes
Buckeye Trail: 1 Hour 47 Minutes
Cardinal: 3 Hours 27 Minutes
Columbiana: 3 Hours 24 Minutes
Crooksville: 44 Minutes
Dalton: 2 Hours 33 Minutes
East Canton: 2 Hours 35 Minutes
East Palestine: 3 Hours 31 Minutes
Federal Hocking: 34 Minutes
Fort Frye: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
LaBrae: 3 Hours 23 Minutes
Liberty: 3 Hours 26 Minutes
Memorial: 3 Hours 30 Minutes
Mineral Ridge: 3 Hours 21 Minutes
Mogadore: 2 Hours 54 Minutes
Newcomerstown: 1 Hour 56 Minutes
Newton Falls: 3 Hour 17 Minutes
Pymatuning Valley: 4 Hours 5 Minutes
Rittman: 2 Hours 35 Minutes
Salineville Southern: 3 Hours 3 Minutes
Springfield Local: 3 Hours 37 Minutes
Trimble: 22 Minutes
Tuscarawas Valley: 2 Hours 6 Minutes
United: 3 Hours
Western Reserve: 3 Hours 5 Minutes

These distances are from in town not the school but that’s only a couple minutes difference. Plus on a bus these would be a little longer.
Has there ever been a 4 hour difference between two schools in a region in the history of Ohio high school football? Lol
Leetonia was in the former D6, Region 23 in the previous six division set-up. I’m sure that’s four hours from Symmes Valley, at least.



EasternDspy
SEOPS HOF
Posts: 12568
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: D6 Region 21

Post by EasternDspy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:11 pm

Whose idea was this? Common sense says this isn’t right.



Post Reply

Return to “Football”