bad things in bidwell

5kdude
Varsity

Re: bad things in bidwell

Post by 5kdude »

i dont think that people should have stuff in there ears when they are running but when they are running people have to see that person and get over some so they dont get hit my a car are something. i was running 10 miles today and almost got hit my a car then seen me i seen them and got over but the car didnt and came really close to me. people like that dont have any respect for people that are out running and having fun.

RvDistanceGuy
Waterboy

Post by RvDistanceGuy »

The things to remember this time of year are to always run in the daylight (and especially avoid twilight--the time right before the sun goes completely down and when objects are the least visible--not the book for you young'uns) which is admittedly harder to swing in the winter, and try to avoid the roads when slick or snow-covered. Check the forecast and get your run in before snow hits if possible. When people are already a little ignorant about road usage by anything other than cars and big, idiotic pickups on lift-kits they will be even more dangerous when their stopping and maneuvering abilities are impaired. Just use a little sense, even though that is not even a 100% effective strategy. I made mistakes on the roads. So have many others who practice this sport. I got lucky and walked away, albeit a little painfully. This young Raider is still alive, so there is certainly that to be thankful for, although many others haven't been so lucky. Don't be petrified to run on the roads, but I would certainly keep all the helpful tips on this thread in mind and be sure to be judicious about which roads you actually run on. Avoid highways, even ones like 554 out in Bidwell. They are too wide open and allow the vehicles to move too quickly. Pick some more secluded country roads that have less traffic, gravel roads are helpful for that since they have limited traffic and limit speeds. Also, something I was always reluctant to do but seems like a better and better idea as time goes on: think about carrying your cell phone with you. In the winter it should be easy, in your running top or pants, slap it into your pocket on the way out the door. May save your life. Or, take a partner if you can. Get well soon from another person who has seen the worst of Gallia County drivers and roads.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

I used to run with an i pod, but I used an old set of "ear bud" headphones with only one bud, so that I could hear traffic coming.

Return to “Cross Country”