Running in College?

Bubblegumhuffy
Riding the Bench

Re: Running in College?

Post by Bubblegumhuffy »

Berea does have financial restrictions but in today's economy almost everyone in southeastern ohio would be able to get in. They will often work with you if you are close to the limit to. yeah, Coach Johnson is a nice guy and has been coach for over 30 years there to.

rundevilrun
Waterboy

Post by rundevilrun »

Are you saying that almost every family of 4 in Southeast Ohio only makes less than 40,000 a year? That isn't even close to being true. That is an admission requirement at Berea for to get in. I'm sure that that the 40,000 figure can move a little but I doubt more than a few thousand. The point that I am trying to make is that if your family makes less than 40,000 a year and you have brothers and sisters, you are going to get a lot of help from Uncle Sam to go to a lot of colleges in Ohio, not just Berea. Berea is a fine school though.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

http://www.berea.edu/prospectivestudent ... elines.pdf

There is a chart that says a married household with two incomer earners and with one child in college can attend Berea if they make fewer than $58,000 a year.

But Shawnee and Rio have good deals also. It is that move from community college to private college prices that would scare me away from Rio.

rundevilrun
Waterboy

Post by rundevilrun »

Thanks for the stats. 58,000 was more than I thought.

Bubblegumhuffy
Riding the Bench

Post by Bubblegumhuffy »

Yeah in today's economy a lot of families would qualify, not to mention that a large portion of our population is divorced and kids claim one parent on the FAFSA so their income is low.

Thatotherguy
Freshman Team

Post by Thatotherguy »

4sporterEHS wrote:And also, I will throw out a number to everyone.

That number is the amount of dollars it costs to go to shawnee per semester. So, what is that, just over 7 grand for one year of school. Adding Financial Aid, that figure goes down under 1000 for most students. That does not include housing, but Portsmouth has many cheap houses or apartments. I even live in one.
Shawnee also gives Academic Scholarships based one ones GPA and ACT score. Not a bad deal.

This is the amount on Rio's website. 18,260. That is without F.A. but what if for some reason you get less than the average amount of F.A.? You could be paying anywhere from 5000 to 1300 bucks, thats Per Semester.
And thats the first 2 years. The Junior and Senior, or 5th year is just outrageous amounts!

Rio tution for the first 2 years is about 3,000 per year pending on credit hours taken. However room and board is 7,000 so your looking at 10,000 subtrack Academic scholarships and FA. Then for your Junior and Senior year Tution is 18,260 Room and board 7,000=25,260 total. But the average person in fact gets 15,960 FA pakage. So the average cost is 7,500 Junior and Senior year. This is for everybody not athletes. If your getting a athletic scholarship your pretty much set.

Here is a link for support.

http://www.rio.edu/studentservices/page ... ionandfees

Chuck: Rio will average 27:30 or better this year which is not very good but is better than 30:00 as you said. with an all freshman team exception one Matt Spencer which is a sophmore. Rio has 5 freshman that were under 4:30 in high school. It is a program in development, give them 2 or 3 years and they will be a force in the NAIA.

FSUP

Shawnee has a great program they all have worked hard to get where they are. They will do well as a team at nationals this year count on it. Even though they don't match up to Malone and D1 teams they can hold there own.

rundevilrun
Waterboy

Post by rundevilrun »

I think that it is exciting that Rio is on the rebound for distance for their men's team.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

Yes, bringing in talents like Nick Wilson and Brandon Crislip will help their program alot.

Especially, If they can bring in a few of them each year.

5kdude
Varsity

Post by 5kdude »

SErunner wrote:Yes, bringing in talents like Nick Wilson and Brandon Crislip will help their program alot.

do you think you can get into a small school to run track if you ran a 4:44 mile?

rundevilrun
Waterboy

Post by rundevilrun »

4:44 is good enough to run at many small colleges in Ohio. Do you have one year left in high school? If so, is it fair to assume that you will get faster this year than 4:44?

rundevilrun
Waterboy

Post by rundevilrun »

SErunner wrote:Yes, bringing in talents like Nick Wilson and Brandon Crislip will help their program alot.

How are Wilson and Crislip doing so far this fall?

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

rundevilrun wrote:

How are Wilson and Crislip doing so far this fall?

I haven't heard from Crislip, but Wilson is red shirting because a hip injury and torn IT band.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

rundevilrun wrote:4:44 is good enough to run at many small colleges in Ohio. Do you have one year left in high school? If so, is it fair to assume that you will get faster this year than 4:44?

yes, i think that it is fast enough to run in college, but I wouldn't expect to run the mile/1500 in college.

Try to find a distance is more suitable for your talents.

5kdude
Varsity

Post by 5kdude »

SErunner wrote:
rundevilrun wrote:4:44 is good enough to run at many small colleges in Ohio. Do you have one year left in high school? If so, is it fair to assume that you will get faster this year than 4:44?

yes, i think that it is fast enough to run in college, but I wouldn't expect to run the mile/1500 in college.

no i dont have no more years. i just got out of school. i really wanted to run in college but i did not get nothing. my coach did not say nothing to any coaches.

Thatotherguy
Freshman Team

Post by Thatotherguy »

5kdude wrote:
SErunner wrote:

no i dont have no more years. i just got out of school. i really wanted to run in college but i did not get nothing. my coach did not say nothing to any coaches.

You mean you didn't earn a athletic scholarship to run. Well 4:44 is not going to cut it regardless of what your coach says to the college coaches. But you can walk on nearly anywhere. To get a scholarship your would have to run under 4:30 to get anything at all. On the D1 level you would need better than that to get money.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

I think that a lot of schools do take walk ons and a lot of small schools do not have recruiting coordinators to search for kids that don't have big names.

I would try Berea, Shawnee State, Rio Grande or one of the other mentioned schools.

girl@heart
Waterboy

Post by girl@heart »

Try to contact Dereck Stanley @ Marietta College
It seems to be a great groups of runners that mesh really well as a team!

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

girl@heart wrote:Try to contact Dereck Stanley @ Marietta College
It seems to be a great groups of runners that mesh really well as a team!

How is Marietta's team? It got canned in the 80's and came back a few years ago.

All I know is that Marietta has great track facilities. Nice 200 meter indoor track and an awesome freshly surfaced outdoor track.

rundevilrun
Waterboy

Post by rundevilrun »

To give you an idea as to where Marietta College finished at All Ohio against the other regional college teams.

Men Women
Marietta 35th 23rd
Rio 32nd Only finished 3
OU 5th 4th
Shawnee 13th 13th

Marietta is probably a little more competitive in track. How can they not be with the facilities that they have. The indoor and outdoor tracks there are sweet.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

Have any runners narrowed down their lists of schools?

I know Lauren Adkins was thinking of Ohio University.

Return to “Cross Country”