Regionals and ACT's the same day!

basketballparent
Freshman Team

Regionals and ACT's the same day!

Post by basketballparent »

Is this affecting anyone else? And if so, what do you plan to do?

osumufan
SE

Re: Regionals and ACT's the same day!

Post by osumufan »

Go to Regionals it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.Unless your kid qualified as one of the last runners in the race and there is really no way to get to state then take the test. But if it is his team that qualified then he may get to state anyway. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I onced had to be at a band competion and also an allstar baseketball game with little time inbetween. My neighbor had a small plane and flew me to the bb game after the band comp. My mom had to drive to the comp and take me to the airport. It was great fun and my mom made it to the game to see the last quarter. My dad picked me up at the airport and drove me to the game. I only had to pay for fuel it was about 75 bucks so not bad. That took dedication from my parents.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

The ACT dates on on schedule long before now. The issue really shouldn't come up.

I'd take the ACT in June when everything is over.

Can See All
Riding the Bench

Post by Can See All »

SErunner wrote:The ACT dates on on schedule long before now. The issue really shouldn't come up.

I think the issue should be brought up. Since the test dates are scheduled that far in advance, why doesn't the OHSAA work around it?

Now what if you are a senior trying to get every dollar you can for college (we all know that it isn't cheap!)? These seniors have to be aware of scholorship deadlines and what not. Taking the test in June would obviously be past the deadline. I'd take the A.C.T.

runnersaunt
Waterboy

Post by runnersaunt »

The test is also given in December, in February and again in April.

etta09
Freshman Team

Post by etta09 »

i don't run xc so this doesn't really affect me but for many seniors this may be their last opportunity to take the text before they start to apply to colleges

Can See All
Riding the Bench

Post by Can See All »

runnersaunt wrote:The test is also given in December, in February and again in April.

Again you have to look at certain schools and their scholorship deadlines.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

Can See All wrote:
SErunner wrote:The ACT dates on on schedule long before now. The issue really shouldn't come up.

I think the issue should be brought up. Since the test dates are scheduled that far in advance, why doesn't the OHSAA work around it?

Now what if you are a senior trying to get every dollar you can for college (we all know that it isn't cheap!)? These seniors have to be aware of scholorship deadlines and what not. Taking the test in June would obviously be past the deadline. I'd take the A.C.T.

We can't honestly expect OHSAA to change the dates of the regional tournaments. I think that if you want to go to college you go take the ACT. If you want to run and go to college you take the ACT in June at the end of your Jr. year and it really isn't a problem.

Can See All
Riding the Bench

Post by Can See All »

SErunner wrote:We can't honestly expect OHSAA to change the dates of the regional tournaments. I think that if you want to go to college you go take the ACT. If you want to run and go to college you take the ACT in June at the end of your Jr. year and it really isn't a problem.

All I'm saying is to not change the date this year, just in the future not schedule this. And you seem to be missing my point: There are seniors out there who are looking for scholorships, and if they still don't have a high enough ACT score, then what? June is too late for scholorships. So yeah it is a problem.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

I had this come up my senior year.
I ran without any question.
Took the ACT the next date.
Not a problem with any deadlines for me.
Great decision, because that was one of the better days of my life.

swet
Waterboy

Post by swet »

Please, neither one of the dates is any surprise. They are always scheduled the same day, have been for years. I agree, we cannot expect OHSAA to change their schedule. There are plenty of dates before and after Regionals that students can take the ACT. Parents should be more aware, besides, if your child has run cross their entire high school career you should already know these dates, it isn't too hard to figure out.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

swet wrote:Please, neither one of the dates is any surprise. They are always scheduled the same day, have been for years. I agree, we cannot expect OHSAA to change their schedule. There are plenty of dates before and after Regionals that students can take the ACT. Parents should be more aware, besides, if your child has run cross their entire high school career you should already know these dates, it isn't too hard to figure out.

I agree with SWET 100%. I ran HS XC and I missed a race to take the ACT. There is a thing called responsibility and I think that the responsible thing to do is to take the test.

It's tough love.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Basketball parent what did your son do ACT or run?

Return to “Cross Country”