Where has common courtesy gone?

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Where has common courtesy gone?

Post by Flatulence »

A new pet peeve has been growing within my head - this idea of the internet being used to send out invitations - or not -, the My OHSAA website for entering, and NO information being mailed out about times, schedule, etc. Is there anyone else bothered by the lack of personal touch and common courtesy?

Learned yesterday at Gallia that the Athens meet for this Saturday had changed starting times and no one had been informed - Logan did not know. Several coaches said they will not be attending. Whoever made this decision and notified no one needs to be taken to the woodshed for a good shellacking!

We will be mailing information next week about our meet on October 7th to all those who have agreed to participate. It will include starting times, cost so that Athletic Directors will have a record of payment for auditors, and awards. We will also explain to the coaches that we shall continue to score the "old fashioned" way. As long as I remain in coaching I cannot or will not depend upon someone else OR the internet to do what is the most courteous way of doing things.

To all the new and young coaches how about considering the fact that you are the HOST and that you need to do SOMETHING to let your visitors know what is going on!

Should this hack someone off - so be it. I am really hacked off about the fact that we may not be attending a meet this weekend because someone did not take the time to inform anyone about the changes.

Greg Fraunfelter
Cross Country coach
Logan

coach k
Freshman Team

Re: Where has common courtesy gone?

Post by coach k »

Flatulence,

You made some very good points. I have found out through trial and many errors over the past couple years running a cross country meet that what you say is true. As coaches and meet managers, we must be effective communicators concerning our meets.

You probably already know this, but Zane Trace has a morning meet this Saturday. You may want to get in touch with their coach (Jennifer Johnston) at their high school, because the entries were due on Baumspage earlier this evening.

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Re: Where has common courtesy gone?

Post by Flatulence »

Thanks K, I shall be contacting them today.

You know, the dependence on the internet really, REALLY bothers me. When one is hosting a meet it is no different than someone HOSTING a dinner party, invitations go out, responses are received, information is included in the initial invitation and a FOLLOW UP is mailed. We seem to have a problem with hosts ASSUMING too much. And I was always taught, when one assumes it will make an ass out of u and me. I have made myself an ass on this posting, but someone has to do it!

This also goes for the SEOTCA. What is going on? When will we have meetings this year? What, if anything, is on the agenda? Are we going to depend only upon Preps and internet to do the biddings? Just some serious questions. At least serious to me.

Return to “Cross Country”