Vinton County Cross Country Invitational Results
https://www.baumspage.com/cc/vintoncounty/2020/

OATCCC Coaches Poll:
https://oatccc.com/cross-country.aspx

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Vinton County Cross Country Invitational Results

Post by Ironman92 »

A well ran meet. Would’ve preferred combining varsity races but I get it.

Trevorstephens22
JV Team

Post by Trevorstephens22 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:41 pm A well ran meet. Would’ve preferred combining varsity races but I get it.
Governers' sports order limits 150 runners per race. Schools need money so they are letting every team who wants to compete and will run as many races as needed. They want the athletes to compete this year as we all felt the effects of the spring seasons being canceled.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Trevorstephens22 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:24 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:41 pm A well ran meet. Would’ve preferred combining varsity races but I get it.
Governers' sports order limits 150 runners per race. Schools need money so they are letting every team who wants to compete and will run as many races as needed. They want the athletes to compete this year as we all felt the effects of the spring seasons being canceled.
Like I said...I get it, not complaining. It was a well ran meet once again. Look forward to returning again next year.

Girls races combined would’ve been 148 runners I think....could’ve had an open race with 20-30 girls. Boys combined I think for 156, could’ve had an open race of around 40 with runners outside the top 7.

Some excellent runners were seen today....and some excellent programs.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

I certainly appreciate the input. Initially, I was going to go with a varsity race and an open race due to race restrictions of 150 runners. Using that number, the most teams you could have in a race would be 21. As a meet director, you have to presume each team could conceivably have seven runners...especially at an early season meet in which some schools have yet to race. However toward the end of last week, there were schools who were needing a meet, and the early entries were trending toward @ 180 runners for the high school boys race. It was most equitable to split into 'large' school and a 'small' school races. This would also allow an entire team to race together. I felt this was important at the beginning of the season. The race numbers could be more easily controlled. The number of entries and the number of finishers of a race are sometimes very different. Some of it is due to coaches who submit entries very early with an entire roster and then never adjust them prior to the deadline, and some of it is due to situations that occur after the entry deadline and race day that reduce the race numbers. Another consideration given to large school and small school races had to do with crowd size. With two relatively even races, then the attendance is much more evenly distributed...less congestion...more ability to social distance. After the small school races, those teams could leave, which would also help with the crowd.

The downside to the large/small set-up is that it splits the competition and increases the likelihood of runners racing by themselves during the race. We will see how this season progresses and if restrictions continue next season. I certainly appreciate the coaches who brought their teams to our meet. I hope the parents, coaches, and other followers enjoyed the spectator-friendly course.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

coach_k wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:03 am I certainly appreciate the input. Initially, I was going to go with a varsity race and an open race due to race restrictions of 150 runners. Using that number, the most teams you could have in a race would be 21. As a meet director, you have to presume each team could conceivably have seven runners...especially at an early season meet in which some schools have yet to race. However toward the end of last week, there were schools who were needing a meet, and the early entries were trending toward @ 180 runners for the high school boys race. It was most equitable to split into 'large' school and a 'small' school races. This would also allow an entire team to race together. I felt this was important at the beginning of the season. The race numbers could be more easily controlled. The number of entries and the number of finishers of a race are sometimes very different. Some of it is due to coaches who submit entries very early with an entire roster and then never adjust them prior to the deadline, and some of it is due to situations that occur after the entry deadline and race day that reduce the race numbers. Another consideration given to large school and small school races had to do with crowd size. With two relatively even races, then the attendance is much more evenly distributed...less congestion...more ability to social distance. After the small school races, those teams could leave, which would also help with the crowd.

The downside to the large/small set-up is that it splits the competition and increases the likelihood of runners racing by themselves during the race. We will see how this season progresses and if restrictions continue next season. I certainly appreciate the coaches who brought their teams to our meet. I hope the parents, coaches, and other followers enjoyed the spectator-friendly course.
Great work as usual coach!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

coach_k wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:03 am I certainly appreciate the input. Initially, I was going to go with a varsity race and an open race due to race restrictions of 150 runners. Using that number, the most teams you could have in a race would be 21. As a meet director, you have to presume each team could conceivably have seven runners...especially at an early season meet in which some schools have yet to race. However toward the end of last week, there were schools who were needing a meet, and the early entries were trending toward @ 180 runners for the high school boys race. It was most equitable to split into 'large' school and a 'small' school races. This would also allow an entire team to race together. I felt this was important at the beginning of the season. The race numbers could be more easily controlled. The number of entries and the number of finishers of a race are sometimes very different. Some of it is due to coaches who submit entries very early with an entire roster and then never adjust them prior to the deadline, and some of it is due to situations that occur after the entry deadline and race day that reduce the race numbers. Another consideration given to large school and small school races had to do with crowd size. With two relatively even races, then the attendance is much more evenly distributed...less congestion...more ability to social distance. After the small school races, those teams could leave, which would also help with the crowd.

Well thought out

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Cross Country”