Oak Hill Invitational

mhs
Waterboy

Oak Hill Invitational

Post by mhs »

Does anyone know who all will be at the meet fri night and what time the running events start

godsgeneral
Freshman Team

Re: Oak Hill Invitational

Post by godsgeneral »

I am not sure who all will be competing but I am pretty sure Vinton County and Wellston will be there. Event starts at 5pm.

godsgeneral
Freshman Team

Post by godsgeneral »

As well as Waverly and Minford.

Not sure about the running events, I just realized that's what you were asking.

maraudermom
Waterboy

Post by maraudermom »

Meigs will be there... Schedule shows 5:00 start time

burgboy
Freshman Team

Post by burgboy »

Burg will be there

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

Any results?

90buckeye
Varsity

Post by 90buckeye »

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Just remember on the times that it is not FAT timing at Oak Hill so all the times need to be rounded up to the next tenth (unless of course it is a 0 in the 100th slot.) Hopefully they realized that when they placed people from one heat to the next. I suspect they did and the person typing just did not realize how they should be typing up the times.

90buckeye
Varsity

Post by 90buckeye »

Nelsonville-York is renting their Finish Lynx camera and operators for both of the Oak Hill districts this year.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

That is good. It should help with the finish line.

And the district meet should have experienced officials at the field events too.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Nelsonville-York is renting their Finish Lynx camera and operators for both of the Oak Hill districts this year.

Does this mean that our favourite Luddite Dave Lucas isn't running the Oak Hill district? I always got the impression that Lucas didn't like the high-tech stuff.

Go Marauders!
Waterboy

Post by Go Marauders! »

I only hope that whoever is running things can count to 8! That was too much to ask Friday night. The times for the boys 3200 should be retracted because they are completely inaccurate. There were no official times for at least the first 4 runners as they were sent around for a 9th lap. These may be the first 8 times the officials got, but they certainly don't belong to the runners they are reported for. If you don't have an official time please post an N/A. Jordan Selbee ran well under 11. Joe Stewart was clocked at 11:04 and Cody Hanning at 11:06. It is a great disservice to these young runners to report their times as 12+ after they ran such a good race.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

When I typed up the results for our paper, I left out those times for the boys 3200m as that was not what they timed. But there should be an official assigned to watch and count those laps at the District.

I was a little concerned about the discus results too. Not only did they tie two girls (an unlikely event when there are that many throws) but they were measuring to the 1/4 inch on the boys discus (discus is measured to the nearest inch as placement is usually several inches off anyway.) They placed Nate Cadogan ahead of Dustin Robertson even though it was only a 1/4 inch difference. They probably should have had the same distance there and went to the next best throw to place them. It is only one place difference but at district that could have been the difference of sending the wrong thrower to regionals.

90buckeye
Varsity

Post by 90buckeye »

KarlAgathon,

Kristin Ruby from Oak Hill is the manager for both the D2 & D3 Oak Hill districts this year. She spent many hours trying to get a FAT system. You can thank Coach Ruby, the southeast district athletic board and the very fine folks at Nelsonville-York for making this happen.

Burg Track and CC Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg Track and CC Fan »

I just hope Coach Ruby tells the finish line to time places not lanes like they did in the Invite. Also they need an official who can count to 8 in the 3200 run. They did not have anyone with that skill on Friday night.

coach k
Freshman Team

Post by coach k »

As someone who has run the finish line at many, many meets, I would suggest to those critics that you become involved with your school's track program, get into the trenches, donate your time, organize a large meet, and help run your school's finish line. It is always easier to criticize than it is to be a solution to the problem. I have been on the wrong end of officiating mistakes. I understand the frustration...it is not easy to swallow sometimes, but to call people out like this, is a display of poor sportsmanship in my book. If there is an issue, then it needs to be addressed individually with that person, not on a message board.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

coach k wrote:As someone who has run the finish line at many, many meets, I would suggest to those critics that you become involved with your school's track program, get into the trenches, donate your time, organize a large meet, and help run your school's finish line. It is always easier to criticize than it is to be a solution to the problem. I have been on the wrong end of officiating mistakes. I understand the frustration...it is not easy to swallow sometimes, but to call people out like this, is a display of poor sportsmanship in my book. If there is an issue, then it needs to be addressed individually with that person, not on a message board.

coach k you are right ,but a person can only bit there tongue so many times ,in the last four years at Oak Hill at least one place in a race has been wrong. If you need help with a meet PM me if I am not working I will be there :|

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

coach k.....good post.

As someone who has covered the district meets (D3 and D2) at Oak Hill since the it was moved there with the opening of Davis Stadium in the spring three years ago, and has been there just past at the finish line with camera in hand, I can tell you that the group of officials that oversee the mile and two-mile are very good.

I don't know his last name, but Kevin from Ironton is super when it comes to the mile and especially the 2-mile. It's the same Kevin who handles the color commentary on Ironton football and I believe boys basketball radio broadcasts. Someone can help me out with his last name. I've talked to him several times in the past.

By the time the two-mile takes place, all of the field events are usually done where everyone can be at the track and see this event. Kevin does a superb job in making sure the 2-mile is run right. I hope he is there again this year. That would calm any fears that Go Marauders and Burg Track and CC Fan seem to have.

I wish Coach Ruby the best of luck at running the district meets this year. I am sure she will do a top-notch job.

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

Whoever said that they were placing by lanes and not by times is clueless.

Burg Track and CC Fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg Track and CC Fan »

I guess I stirred up a real hornet's nest didn't I? I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I have been in the pits at many meets and as D5 pointed out it has been frustrating. They did in fact have the boys run 9 laps in the 3200 run (this was because an official went to the restroom and no one took over for him) this was not Coach Ruby's fault, I never said it was.

As far as being clueless about what I said about timing lanes and not places that is what I was told by the official that corrected it.

I agree Kevin does an excellent job at the finish line. Will he be at districts?

Return to “Track & Field”