Well TVC 2009 Track & Field

SErunner
JV Team

Re: Well TVC 2009 Track & Field

Post by SErunner »

olay135 wrote:Oh I want to debate. Tornes was way better than Skidmore ever was or ever will be. Hands down Ashleigh is by far the better runner!!!

Tornes career is over and Skidmore isn't done yet. How can you justify what you just said?

Did Tornes go to State is another sport? I don't know that she did.

I know that Skidmore has gone for XC, another running event.

Lets try to debate numbers instead of statements.

Julio Gambino
Waterboy

Post by Julio Gambino »

So SErunner are you arguing on who is the better athlete for which athlete has accomplished more in each sport. I will tell you hands down Tornes would eat Skidmore for brunch. Tornes started for Waterford's Girls Basketball team that made it to regional finals. Hardly any athletic girls run XC. I would not argue on who is the better athlete. But if you are arguing on who is the better runner, than it is Tornes with ease. Thanks.

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

This "my mom is prettier than your mom and my house is bigger than your house" stuff is so kindergarden, is getting old and accomplishing very little - both girls are/were great at what they did/do - leave it at that!

cross_country_xc
Riding the Bench

Post by cross_country_xc »

Ok well i see what you ppl think of the girl runners. So what about they guys? No one hasn't even mentiond any guy runner yet or i don't think so. So what about the guys in the TVC what do u think will happen.

distance40
Freshman Team

Post by distance40 »

Well i just want to say Ashleigh Tornes was a great runner, she had a great four years in high school track. She was also a starter on last years Waterford girls team, which made a very serious run into the tournament last year, and she did volleyball also.

Its hard to compare the two because of the difference in age but i'd say Tornes is the better runner, she went to state all four years, and in the senior year she finished second after she had the lead for a while, she was a great runner and i doubt this girl can in four years accomplish what Ashleigh did.

cross_country_xc
Riding the Bench

distance40 wrote:Well i just want to say Ashleigh Tornes was a great runner, she had a great four years in high school track. She was also a starter on last years Waterford girls team, which made a very serious run into the tournament last year, and she did volleyball also.

Its hard to compare the two because of the difference in age but i'd say Tornes is the better runner, she went to state all four years, and in the senior year she finished second after she had the lead for a while, she was a great runner and i doubt this girl can in four years accomplish what Ashleigh did.

Well it doesn't matter NOW WHAT SHE DID DO and i was wondering what all you ppl thought of thew TVC this year in track and diff standouts and what not. I didn't want a history lesson of two girls and which was better of thew two and why you can't compare. It doesn't matter WHO DID WHAT. I just want to here ppls thoughts of THIS YEARS TVC teams and the meet.

distance40
Freshman Team

Post by distance40 »

cross_country_xc,
Don't just tell that too me i was gettin some things straight for the people arguing above me.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Better "Distance" Runner = Emily Skidemore. How can anyone say that Tornes is a better runner when she did NOT even run Cross Country? I would like to know this. Emily has stood on the podium a couple times in Cross and a couple times in Track. I would like to know if Tornes has EVER even raced a race over 2 miles long.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

i agree with 4sporter, Skidmore will run away from everyone in the TVC

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

Julio Gambino wrote:So SErunner are you arguing on who is the better athlete for which athlete has accomplished more in each sport. I will tell you hands down Tornes would eat Skidmore for brunch. Tornes started for Waterford's Girls Basketball team that made it to regional finals. Hardly any athletic girls run XC. I would not argue on who is the better athlete. But if you are arguing on who is the better runner, than it is Tornes with ease. Thanks.

What is your definition of "athletic." I think it is rude of you to call every girl who runs XC unathletic.

2008 TVC meet

I saw a jr. Skidmore beat sr. Tornes in the 1600.

I saw Skidmore win the 800

I saw Tornes win the 3200 by 6 seconds over Skidmore.

Tornes got 2nd at D3 State 3200. Skidmore got 7th in
D2 1600.

Tornes is GOOD. She did great in a lot of things. If she
focused on running she would have been a better than Skidmore.

BUT based on the stats I saw, I would call Skidmore the better runner.

Is That Too Hard To Deal With?

ps. I think Dunfee will do GREAT this year.
Last edited by SErunner on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Check that SErunner. Skidmore got 7th in the 1600. But, that was with better competition and it also put her PR better than Tornes.

Ricky Gemstone
Waterboy

Post by Ricky Gemstone »

Possibly the reason Tornes didnt run XC is because she was a first team all-district volleyball player, was a second team all-district selection on a basketball team that went to the elite 8, and also happened to be a great runner. Running definately wasnt the only thing she excelled at. If the argument is overall athletic ability, then without a doubt Tornes wins that contest by a mile...or two haha

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

I never knew we were discussing athletic ability. I must have missed it somewhere. I thought this was a topic based on running. Humm. . .

Ricky Gemstone
Waterboy

Post by Ricky Gemstone »

I'm just sayin someone that devotes all their time to running better be pretty good. Tornes was such a versatile athlete and I dont think focusing on one sport when she was so good at all three would have been the right decision for her.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

Ricky Gemstone wrote:Possibly the reason Tornes didnt run XC is because she was a first team all-district volleyball player, was a second team all-district selection on a basketball team that went to the elite 8, and also happened to be a great runner. Running definately wasnt the only thing she excelled at. If the argument is overall athletic ability, then without a doubt Tornes wins that contest by a mile...or two haha

We all know that Tornes is good at other sports,
but I think that Skidmore is the better runner.

WangoZTango
Freshman Team

Post by WangoZTango »

Very interesting topic…so I think I just might put in my 2 cents worth…

The following statements are simply ludicrous:

1) ”Tornes would eat Skidmore for brunch”
2) “But if you are arguing on who is the better runner, than it is Tornes with ease”
3) “Tornes was way better than Skidmore ever was or ever will be. Hands down Ashleigh is by far the better runner!!!”
4) “Tornes beat her with ease at the TVC meet, this race wasnt really that close. So...haha.”
5) “Ashleigh Tornes was much better than Skidmore....hands down.”
6) “Hardly any athletic girls run XC.”

I truly doubt that if you were to ask either of these fine runners if they thought they were “hands down” better or could eat the other for brunch, lunch, breakfast, or dinner, neither would say that. In fact, I would like to think that there was/is mutual respect between these fine lady athletes.

I can also say for a fact that at many head-to-head races, it was one little blonde-haired girl wearing Red & Black against 2 relatively larger and and physically imposing Waterford Wildcats….an intimidating challenge from which Emily Skidmore usually came out the WINNER.

Hear are a few facts….

Skidmore raced against Tornes and Drayer in at least 5 High School track meets, in some combination of the 800, 1600, and 3200 meters.

1) Drayer has only beaten Skidmore 1 time in the mile (CLOSE RACE)
2) Tornes beat Skidmore 3 times in her senior year (All CLOSE RACES), once in the 1600, and twice in the 3200. Tornes currently holds the 3200 TVC record.
3) In all other races, Skidmore was the winner!!!

Compare this to several other facts…

1) In 2006, as a sophomore, Skidmore set 3 TVC records in the 800, 1600, and 3200…ALL in ONE NIGHT. With this accomplishment, she erased Drayer and Tornes from the High School TVC record book (until Tornes reclaimed the 3200 in 2007 – a very good run indeed. I believe that Drayer holds the Junior High TVC Record for the 1600).

2) Skidmore is a 2-time TVC Ohio Division High Point Champion, winning this honor her freshman and sophomore years.

3) Skidmore chose to run Cross Country as opposed to playing volleyball, which, given the fact that she is an ALEXANDER SPARTAN, is rather ironic.

4) Skidmore is heading to her 4th straight appearance at the Ohio State Cross Country Meeting…a incredible spectacle at which there are many AMAZING athletes.

5) Skidmore has been on the Podium at the Ohio State Cross Country Meet 2 times, and is looking to make it 3 on Saturday, November 1, 2008 (Good luck, Emily!!!)

6) Skidmore won the TVC Cross Country Meet 4 straight years – an accomplishment that has NEVER been done before, by any male or female TVC runner.

7) Skidmore is a two-time DIII, District 13 Cross Country champion.

8) Skidmore was a part of the Alexander Lady Spartans DIII FINAL FOUR Basketball team in the 05-06 season.

9) Skidmore has been on the Podium at the Ohio State Track Meet two times, once in DIII in the 3200 meter run (beating Tornes) and once in DII in the 1600 meter run.

If I have made any factual errors, please let me know, and I will gladly correct this post.

Congratulations to Ashleigh Tornes on a fine High School running career.

Best of luck to seniors Emily Skidmore, Emily Dunfee, Syd Schulz, Jessi Drayer, and all the rest of the distance runners in their upcoming sporting events as student athletes!!! I am looking forward to an exciting track season in 2009...
Last edited by WangoZTango on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cross_country_xc
Riding the Bench

Well thats intesting what everyone thinks about the Girls in the TVC for 2009 Track season. But what about the guys side of things? What do u think will happen in the races when it comes around?

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Great Post WangoZTango!

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

I agree with 4sporterEHS. I apologize for getting a little out of hand myself.
Great Job Wango.

Good Luck to all of the remaining girls.

Kyle Goode should be the one to beat in the 3200, but
track season is still months away and I believe this race
will be won with work over the winter.

Rhue is still a force in SE OH distance running we should see
some great races come spring time.

Skridmore
Waterboy

Post by Skridmore »

I agree, Great Job Wango

Will somebody please post more about this years TVC runners.

Return to “Track & Field”