List your regional qualifiers HERE!!!!!

cc93
Waterboy

Re: List your regional qualifiers HERE!!!!!

Post by cc93 »

Kory Bakenhaster from Western qualified for regionals in high jump.

Rocket50
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket50 »

Wellston Qualifiers:
Jaylen Prater 100 m.
Ryan Wagener 110 h.
Caleb Smith sp.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

The Daily Sentinel write up is now going to be in Wedensday's paper, 10 days later.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Jim Ryan.....In case you can't count, the Division III and II meets concluded on Saturday afternoon at Oak Hill. The Sunday paper is already out on the streets by then, and there is no Monday paper.

Plus, they had Southern baseball and Eastern softball to run, plus anything in West Virginia involving Wahama.

Wednesday is only four days from Saturday, not 10. :122249. Furthermore, there were two days without an issue, so it would be impossible to run it then.

Ah, ya gotta love fans who can't count to four. The writer's trump card we call it.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

Keyser- I can count just fine, the meet started on Monday and there were kids who qualified on Wedensday, I read about it on Thursday in the Athens newspaper. So I guess you are saying baseball and softball are more important then track? I love your attitude, I'm glad we in the electric industry don't share your attitude or we would all be in the dark. :122249

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Jim Ryan....No, baseball and softball are NOT MORE IMPORTANT than track.

All 3 deserve proper recognition. Don't try putting words in my mouth.

We can discuss this issue in greater detail on Wednesday at the Division III regional track meet at Fairfield Union. Come see me. I'll be there and won't be hard to find.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

Keyser_soze78 wrote:Jim Ryan....No, baseball and softball are NOT MORE IMPORTANT than track.

All 3 deserve proper recognition. Don't try putting words in my mouth.

We can discuss this issue in greater detail on Wednesday at the Division III regional track meet at Fairfield Union. Come see me. I'll be there and won't be hard to find.

If they all three deserve proper recognition, then give it to all three. Kids from two schools in our county are going to the regionals tommorow in track and the only way anyone knows is by word of mouth. ( IF we have room) come on this is not proper recognition.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Jim Ryan....Where are you getting this "IF we have room" comment?

The only one I see on here saying "IF we have room" is you.

Just so you know, I have no ties to Meigs County. Zero.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

Keyser_soze78 wrote:Jim Ryan....Where are you getting this "IF we have room" comment?

The only one I see on here saying "IF we have room" is you.

Just so you know, I have no ties to Meigs County. Zero.

It was in the Sunday Daily Sentinel, If we have room it will be in Tuesday's paper. I don't have an issue with the reporters, I realize there is only two reporters to cover about 8 different schools and some of those schools have five sports to cover. I have an issue with the newspaper, they had a reporter there that covered the event, they just chose not to put it in their paper. I also have an issue with them not getting these reporters some more help.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

Congratulations to Jim Ryan. I'll explain as we go.

First off, all of the facts are great when being critical, not just the ones you want to focus on.

With that, let's break down ol' Jimmie boy's complaint.

In the weekend edition of the Sunday Times Sentinel sports section, it was noted that the D-2 and D-3 track results would run on either Tuesday or Wednesday — pending on the amount of space we had in the Tuesday editions — as well as 20 photos of local athletes at those contests. That call was made on Friday night, before either meet was completed.

In covering three counties, we also had other events on Saturday. GA softball and Southern baseball won district titles, Eastern softball lost in district finals, GA tennis was at districts, Point Pleasant was at the state track meet and the Point Pleasant baseball team was also playing a regional semifinal on Monday.

All of those events, plus pictures of all of those events, were what we working with going into the Tuesday editions. Again, that is why we noted space concerns before the weekend.

It was GA softball's first district title ever and Southern baseball's fourth straight, so those automatically went. Point baseball advanced to its fourth straight regional final with a win on Monday, so that goes too. State track takes precedent over district track, so that is four stories with pictures — leaving space for roughly one more local story with one picture.

And since it was the perfect size for the space we had remaining, we chose Eastern softball's loss in the district finals. Keep in mind that these stories don't magically appear on our computers when we sit in front of them — they do take time ... just like the page design, picture downloads and websites we do on a nightly basis.

So we held both district track meets — D-2 and D-3 — for that reason, and also held GA tennis for Wednesday to go along with the Wahama regional semifinal baseball game at Charleston that we were at. We also had to hold the Wahama story for Thursday because of time restraints.

GA won both district titles and qualified the most athletes of any of our schools — Gallia Academy, River Valley, Meigs, Eastern, South Gallia and Southern — and the folks at Gallipolis had to wait just like everyone else. But they all got pictures from the events on Sunday and the story was told with additional pictures, so their wait was rewarded.

This time of year, you want to give all of these teams the credit they deserve, not just cram something in to get it in.

Which leads me to my congratulations for Jimmie. A noted electrician — which apparently makes you a sports guru in the communications business — is the only person to complain about this in any way, shape or form that I have heard myself.

We have received no calls, no emails, no nothing as far as negativity at the office on this subject from the tri-county area. The only complaint comes on here from a guy using a fictitious alias who apparently has nothing better to do than beat the drum of Southern track.

Take a bow Mr. Ryan, you are the only person in three counties that just doesn't get it. :idea:

You want answers? I hope this helps clarify any and all questions that you may have had about the district track meets being held until Wednesday. Although, technically, you could have read about them online Tuesday night, which only makes it — technically — nine days. But the info was out more than 15 hours before D-3 regionals began. :122246

I would think someone in your profession would know not to whiz on the electric fence.

Got to go, have things to cover so that we can get them in the paper before Thanksgiving.
Last edited by bdubya on Wed May 26, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

Also, since we exchanging answers for questions Jim Ryan.

Why do electric wires — which have been linked to cancer — continue to hang overhead when they have been scientifically proven to be safer when buried underground?

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

You have one less paying customer now!

bdubya
Varsity

Post by bdubya »

And you have nothing else to gripe about in regards to sports coverage then.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Simple answer Jim, just come on here or other internet resources and get more accurate information in much more timely fashion like alot of people that have given up on the paper all together. It is what it is and the reasoning for the delays can be justified apparently so who can really argue.

As far as the electric is concerned. I personally don't want to absorb another increase in rates so please just leave things alone as far as the lines are concerned. My parents and their parents never complained about getting cancer from the power lines so myself and my children will make do just fine. If we were that worried about it we would have protested the end of stem cell research that could have created a cure for alot of cancers by now if not unjustly ended for poor and inaccurate reasons.

Best of luck to all athletes competing at regionals from all area schools but especially the GA athletes.

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

I agree with you JChipwood, I don't want my electric bill raised either. bdubya I suggest you do like Jim Ryan, he is canceling the paper so you should cancel your electric then you both will be happy.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

if you are not going to get the paper no need for electric-lol

Rocket50
Freshman Team

Post by Rocket50 »

Does anyone know what time the shotput event will start saturday at the regional tournment in byesville?

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Rocket50....Shot put starts 11:30 a.m. Saturday

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

I think I have found the reason for the delay. Through BDUB's concern with electro magnetic radiation, all stories must now be written on a manual typewriter. Said stories are then submitted to someone wearing proper lead shielding and entered into the computer (remember monitors also emit EMR). This all takes time and articles cannot be delivered in a timely manner. Now don't forget to wear gloves while reading the paper as we cannot be sure as to the chemicals used in the production of the ink. :122246 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :lol:

Return to “Track & Field”