SEOAL Meet

schenk11
All Conference

Re: SEOAL Meet

Post by schenk11 »

All-league means you were the best in the league at what you do. If you don't win the league, you weren't the best at what you do.

To many times society thinks everyone who is good should get an award. An award is to recognize superiority in a field, you have to win to do that.

John McCain finished second in the presidential election, should he also be president (no political pun or opinion being expressed).

Should the actor with the second most votes also get the Emmy.

When a hiring committee is interviewing for a job and they have it down to 2 people, should they both get the job.

This all-league selection process does nothing but help prepare the kids for the real world. Strive to be the best!! Sometimes, no matter how good you are, someone is better. Hard pill to swallow, but swallow it you must.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

schenk11 wrote:All-league means you were the best in the league at what you do. If you don't win the league, you weren't the best at what you do.

To many times society thinks everyone who is good should get an award. An award is to recognize superiority in a field, you have to win to do that.

John McCain finished second in the presidential election, should he also be president (no political pun or opinion being expressed).

Should the actor with the second most votes also get the Emmy.

When a hiring committee is interviewing for a job and they have it down to 2 people, should they both get the job.

This all-league selection process does nothing but help prepare the kids for the real world. Strive to be the best!! Sometimes, no matter how good you are, someone is better. Hard pill to swallow, but swallow it you must.

Well said

MttaFan
Freshman Team

Post by MttaFan »

The Jackson athlete's performance was phenominal. Not being all league doesn't diminsh that at all.

We know that all league in football, basketball, soccer and other sports can sometimes be dependent upon things that the athlete can't control. In track and cross country it's determined by the athlete themselves. I like that.
Last edited by MttaFan on Wed May 18, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jumphigh
Varsity

Post by jumphigh »

Coaches and others...
Metzler was all league along with osborne. This season chilli had 2 kids all league and won the league last season 12 kids were all league and lost the tittle by 1.5 points. It was a great trade off. The girls bought into a team winning a title.

I was posting on behalf of an athlete named faulks from jackson. I was looking at her seoal league meet stats. She had 2 second place finished in 2011, in 2010 she has 2 seconds and a 3rd.

She is a great sprinter who has been challenged to run against osborne.

Blazer83
Riding the Bench

Post by Blazer83 »

SEOAL track gives All League to the winner of the event on that one day. However, SEOAL football gives all league awards to who the coaches think was the best contributors for their team, not the best at the various positions. All League football 2010 Team was stacked with the high scorers, RB, QB, WR,,,,, and then just very few linemen. In track vs. football, it is one extreem to the other. At least in SE District Track, you can still get voted in as All District even if you did not win the District Championship in your event. Mabye SEOAL track can look into this format. But it would require a league meeting during the District/Regional weeks, which would make it hard to do I suppose.

GAHSNOW
Freshman Team

Post by GAHSNOW »

^^^That is the problem I have with the All-League honors. It goes on what an athlete does on that one day. You could potentially be a state record holder in 4 events, be sick on league day and not be able to run...and therefore not be named All-League.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

This may have been said all ready, but doesn't the OHSAA. Recognize a kid as All-Ohio if they finish in the Top 8 at State. IMO, the Top 3 in each individual event should get All-League. The Relays would be just the winners as there are less spots to finish first to last. Heck, we give 1st and 2nd team spots out in other sports.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It's an all-league team......a team of the best track athletes. Is it not the same in the other sports? I understand the 1st place in an event...I'm not arguing that stuff. I'm saying in basketball, football, baseball, softball, golf, volleyball they choose the best athletes in the league....golf I believe is based on the league match(es)...or it used to be the 6 matches back when I played...but is different now. I'm sure wrestling is being the champion at your weight division....that makes more sense as weight is obviously a big deal in wrestling. Again, I'm estimating around 100 female athletes between the 7 league schools in girls track....and the 3rd most impressive one did not make the list of the best track athletes of the league.

Kind of my point with Chilly only having 2 girls....they maximized their points with their team.....could they have placed both all-league girls on a relay team and get two more girls all-league...perhaps..and maybe they did to no avail....but doing that would've possibly cost them the league championship.

The president and the emmy awards....what? I'm not arguing more than one person should win an event.....I'm arguing that she scored more points than all but 2 other athletes out of about 100 athletes and that should EASILY place her on the list of the best track and field athletes in the SEOAL... which is a better definition of what all-league is.

All-SEOAL in each sport is the best athletes in those sports. I guarantee the coaches of the SEOAL know more about who are the best athletes than us commoners....and I guarantee if they placed every league athlete in one pool and chose teams that she would be in the first 5 picks....why, cause she can score an incredible amount of points...which is how you take home championships from invitationals, leagues, district, regional and state.

Have a nice day. I don't expect anyone to change their mind and jump on my wagon...but this is how I feel. It's always a pleasure watching the track kids bust their tails in the meets...especially in the tournament.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

^^^

Ironman92. I agree with you 100%.

Return to “Track & Field”