Well TVC 2009 Track & Field

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Re: Well TVC 2009 Track & Field

Post by runhallerun »

Rue ran 17:06 @ Pickerington on Saturday to continue on to State.

Goode ran 17:42 @ Pickerington on Saturday and is done.

My money is on Rue this spring - at least in the 2 mile.

distance40
Freshman Team

Post by distance40 »

*Who went to state all four years in high school? Tornes
*Who finished 2nd at State last year? Tornes
*Who broke the TVC record in the 3200 ? Tornes

Alright first off, if Tornes would had ran cross country i am sure she would had been a standout, she is an AMAZING RUNNER.

SErunner wrote:Ricky Gemstone - A 6 second victory while running fewer events doesn't qualify as winning with "ease." You are a joke and don't even compare to the likes of me or 4sporterEHS.

SErunner, uhm actually with lessons i was taught in 2nd grade, 46- 38 = 8 (not 6) ... so i'd like to join in with ricky and say hahahahahahahahahahahah (check your info bud)

Uhm if you can't even do 2nd grade math, i doubt much can compare too you.. haha you are the joke.

and i don't care how many events you run, you better be ready if you came to run in the race you better be ready... back in the day i ran 3 events, and won all three so ya know i did it, i think she can too.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Um, ok, where was Tornes in the other 2 events than? If thats what you are trying to say.

And, wow! I am so impressed that you were able to win all 3 events you ran Distance40.

distance40
Freshman Team

Post by distance40 »

Thank you,
No my point was too say and this was brought up by a few other people, that Skidmore wasn't able to beat Tornes because she was in other events. I just wanted to say if you sign up to race in these, you should be prepared to either give your best or get over it.

Most runners have a special or primary event they focus on and i am sure that would be something that most of us could be agreed upon. And the 3200 was Ashleigh's and obviously that paid off for her.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

distance40 wrote:Thank you,
No my point was too say and this was brought up by a few other people, that Skidmore wasn't able to beat Tornes because she was in other events. I just wanted to say if you sign up to race in these, you should be prepared to either give your best or get over it.

Most runners have a special or primary event they focus on and i am sure that would be something that most of us could be agreed upon. And the 3200 was Ashleigh's and obviously that paid off for her.

Tornes HS career is over and I guess who ever has the TVC record at the end of this year will be the best runner of the two.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

4sporterEHS wrote:Um, ok, where was Tornes in the other 2 events than? If thats what you are trying to say.

And, wow! I am so impressed that you were able to win all 3 events you ran Distance40.

Tornes and Skidmore both ran in the 4x800

Tornes was in the 4x400

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

distance40 wrote:Thank you,

But this is the TVC meet. It is not like they focus on one event. When I ran, this was a meet where coach wanted everyone on the team to score as many points as possible to help the team.
And if I am correct, last year Emily focused primarily on the 1600, since that is what she ran going into State. I was trying to say earlier, that Tornes did not run the 800. Emily won the 800. And won the 1600. Running those two events and winning, takes a lot out of a person. And Emily was still only 6 seconds behind Tornes.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

A lot of good individuals have to sacrifice record attempts in order for the team to win.

I think Tyler Cantley could have beat Weferich in the SEOAL 3200, but Tyler needed to
be in other events to ensure that Warren won.

As far as the who is the better runner argument. We need objective ways of determining
what makes a person better, or we need to move away from the idea.

Though I wasted a lot of time arguing about it, I will suggest the latter. I do not
believe we could come to an agreement on objective ways of determining who was
better.

distance40
Freshman Team

Post by distance40 »

SErunner,
Exactly I couldn't had said it better myself.
I've had the chance to watch these runners and Tornes was my favorite of the two. Your right there is no way to figure out who's the better runner. Tornes is personally a style I like and to me what she accomplished in high school is amazing. Running is a little bit different to each of us, so it would and will be an arguement we'll and no-one will ever answer. However I do stand with what I said earlier and to ME Tornes was the better runner. I'm sure we all have our own opinion.

Sprint_Girl
Waterboy

Post by Sprint_Girl »

Im looking foward to watching the sprint relays this year. Im going to be keeping an eye on both Meigs and Waterford 4x100 and 4x200 temas this coming track season.

For the past couple years the meigs 4x2, and also the 4x1 teams have been pretty good. I think with a little work over the winter will help them alot. They have some great potential this coming year.

PushMePullYou
Freshman Team

Post by PushMePullYou »

From the Athens Messenger...

Sports
Skidmore, Rhue return to state tournament
By KEVIN WISEMAN
Messenger sports editor
Published: Friday, October 31, 2008 12:25 AM EDT

One of the most successful cross country careers in the history of the Tri-Valley Conference will come to a close Saturday. Alexander's Emily Skidmore will take off and run a 5K race for the final time in high school, as she competes in the 2008 State Cross Country Tournament at Scioto Downs.

"It's really emotional because cross country's been such an important part of my life," Skidmore said. "I know it's not going to be my last cross country race because I want to continue in college. But it's definitely a little sad. But it's also really exciting too because this is what I've worked for."

Skidmore, a pint-sized bundle of energy, is no rookie when it comes to Scioto Downs. This will be her fourth-straight appearance in the Division III state tournament. She's also the only runner, boy or girl, in the history of the TVC to win the league meet all four years in high school.

"It's really exciting to be able to get there all four years and to get better all four years," she said. "And that's what I'm hoping to do this year. It's also a huge honor to be there all four years and to run against the best athletes in the state.

"It's honorable, it's exciting, it's nerve racking," she continued before embarking on a breezy run on Wednesday. "It's all of those emotions into one. It's finally my senior year so I'm excited about it."

Skidmore hasn't been just a participant in the state tournament, she's excelled. She has improved her time each year, and the last two seasons she has landed on the podium by finishing in the top 15. Her freshman campaign in 2005 ended with a 47th place finish in the state tournament with a time of 20:20. Her sophomore year, her time jumped up to 19:13 and she finished a lofty 13th. Last season, she ran her personal best time of 19:08 and came in 15th place.

Skidmore said she would like to break her best time and remain a fixture on the podium with the rest of the top runners in the state.

"Time wise, I would love to break 19 and be somewhere in the 18s," she said. "But it's a big goal to reach and it's not going to be easy. But hopefully with that competition, and running under 19 like I want I can be in the top 15 so I can get on the podium again. I like being on there."

Skidmore's times in the district and regional meets were almost identical …#8221; 20:01.19 in the districts and 20:01.54 in the regionals. Skidmore ran similar times last season in the tournaments …#8221; 20:00 in the districts, 19:57 in the regionals …#8221; before seeing her time spike at states. She said the barrage of competition helps her run faster times.

"It not only helps you run a faster time but you're running it without even thinking about it," she said. "Just because you're in that position with those goals and there's always people around to race. That's when you usually run faster is when you're racing at a high level against high competition."

Skidmore won't be the only returning runner to the state tournament. Athens junior Steven Rhue will be competing in the state tournament for a second year in a row in Division II. He posted a time of 17:06.60 Saturday in Pickerington, finishing in 16th place.

"It feels really great to me," he said. "I remember when I first made it, it was one of the best feelings I've ever had. To go back a second year it really enforces that. It's really something I want to continue on. So hopefully I can just build on this second year and then go onto my third year next year."

Only the top 16 from regionals advance to state competition, and Rhue said he was uncertain as first whether or not he made it.

"People were counting out, yelling out my place for me," he said. "I couldn't count myself because too many things were racing through my head. So after the race we had to rank from about 15th to 17th. So we were really shaky on that.

"It was really good," Rhue said when he found out he made it. "I was really relieved. I worked really hard to get that far, so going back a second year, it just made me extremely happy."

Rhue ran a time of 17:32.38 last year in the state tournament, finishing in 87th place. He said his goal Saturday is to run close to his personal best time of 16:51, which takes many miles of running in the offseason to achieve.

"When you're out there running six, seven miles a day and then doing hard workouts every alternating day, a lot of people …#8221; that's probably not their sport," Rhue said. "For everyone that came out and ran, that's good for them. That takes a lot of determination."

Rhue's race in Division II will get underway at 11:50 a.m. on Saturday, while Skidmore will follow in the Division III race at 1:20 p.m.

"People always say this is my fourth year there so I shouldn't be nervous, it should just come natural," Skidmore said. "But it's the complete opposite. It's still nerve racking. There's still a lot of pressure. I still feel like I'm a little freshman. It's still exciting. It's still new because every year is so different. It's just like I'm a little freshman again but I'm really not."

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Nice article.

distance40
Freshman Team

Post by distance40 »

4sporter, Pushmepull you,

Who'd she have to know to write that article, seems like alot of quotes and most of the article was hers

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

Skidmore has been on the scene longer than Rhue, so the paper may have felt she was more important than Rhue. Anyway, Athens sports generally do not receive as much attention as Alexander because the Athens teams tend to be less successful.

Even though it is the ATHENS messenger, it isn't like the messenger hasn't written lop-sided sports articles before.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

distance40, she will finish much higher than Rhue at State and she has been there before. Her story is more appealing to the audience at hand. So, in my knowledge about mass media, the goal is to get more people to read the article. So, I am sure the journalist that wrote this had an idea that more people would read an article about Emily Skidmore.

Sprint_Girl
Waterboy

Post by Sprint_Girl »

watch out for Soulsby from Meigs this coming year.

distance40
Freshman Team

Post by distance40 »

4sporter, SErunner,

Thank you for clearing that up I see both of your points and it does make sense, I am sorry if that did sound a little rude, no bad intentions meant.

mhs
Waterboy

Post by mhs »

Meigs Girls should do well this year again they have a group or really talented seniors

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

Does anyone know how the Polowski (sp?) girl from Fort Frye did at State?

who else
Waterboy

Post by who else »

I believe I read somewhere that Jill Pawlowski got 61 in the state cross country meet. This girl has improved so much since last season. Best of luck to her in track this spring.

Return to “Track & Field”