No Track At Portsmouth High School?

SOC_Track_Fan
Waterboy

No Track At Portsmouth High School?

Post by SOC_Track_Fan »

Saw on the football forum that Portsmouth will not be putting a new track around the new football field. Such a shame if this is true. Sounds like the end of the Portsmouth track program.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: No Track At Portsmouth High School?

Post by noreply66 »

If so that is sad to hear

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Does the high school currently have a serviceable track? Why would not getting a new one mean the end of track and field?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

What does Jackson do? I know they don't have one around their new field.probably use their old one.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I heard that Portsmouth will be adding a new Track, just not inside the Football stadium

SOC_Track_Fan
Waterboy

Post by SOC_Track_Fan »

KarlAgathon wrote:Does the high school currently have a serviceable track? Why would not getting a new one mean the end of track and field?

Portsmouth is unable to hold track meets due to the poor condition of the track they practice on. From what I've heard, they put off upkeeping the track because they were building a new one.

Also, the track Portsmouth practices on is within Spartan stadium. Once the new football field is built I would bet that the City of Portsmouth will not let them use the stadium, unless they pay rent to use it. And I can't see Portsmouth paying rent on Spartan stadium just to use the track.

Portsmouth use to have one of the nicest ( if not the nicest ) tracks in southern ohio. I use to love to watch track meets there with the teams Portsmouth brought in every year.

5kdude
Varsity

Post by 5kdude »

SOC_Track_Fan wrote:
KarlAgathon wrote:Does the high school currently have a serviceable track? Why would not getting a new one mean the end of track and field?

Portsmouth is unable to hold track meets due to the poor condition of the track they practice on. From what I've heard, they put off upkeeping the track because they were building a new one.

Also, the track Portsmouth practices on is within Spartan stadium. Once the new football field is built I would bet that the City of Portsmouth will not let them use the stadium, unless they pay rent to use it. And I can't see Portsmouth paying rent on Spartan stadium just to use the track.

Portsmouth use to have one of the nicest ( if not the nicest ) tracks in southern ohio. I use to love to watch track meets there with the teams Portsmouth brought in every year.

that would be sad if they could not have a track season. that is how logan was last year. they could not run on there track.

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

noreply66 wrote:What does Jackson do? I know they don't have one around their new field.probably use their old one.

They do, and it's a fine track, very intimate and close. I, for one, don't have a problem in the world with it.

SOC_Track_Fan
Waterboy

Post by SOC_Track_Fan »

Any updates from the Portsmouth faithful?

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

From my limited research, it looks like Portsmouth started Track in 1916. So did many of the county schools too.

Portsmouth attended a meet that year at OU and scored one point in the 110 yard low hurdles.

The county held their 'first annual' county track meet for the county schools. Wheelersburg won with 64 points and Sciotoville coming in second. Sciotoville did not become part of the Portsmouth School System until Jan 1921.

Of course I was looking to see if Wheelersburg had a basketball or baseball team in 1916 but the Portsmouth Times only reported on the Portsmouth team. The SCL basketball league was supposed to have started in 1914 but it must have started later. Either that or the Portsmouth Times didn't care about county schools... :roll:

Return to “Track & Field”